Schefter: Patriots' Flaws Will Resurface

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Schefter: Patriots' Flaws Will Resurface

http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/this-just-in/2162541/schefter-dc-pats-flaws-will-resurface

He has a point to a degree but there's no given that fumbles and interceptions MUST occur. The other team also tries to force those mistakes but if we don't fall into those traps then what's to say'll make mistakes going forward? Bears, for example,  had chances of two picks. Make both of those and the game is much, much closer and we may not even win.

To me, the biggest weaknesses are inexperience and our secondary to a degree (because they've been hung out to dry on 3rd and longs since we lack a much more solid pass rush). Inexperience, to me, is pretty iffy: you either have it or you don't. Once you get to the postseason with a 14-2 record, you're no longer inexperienced. Aside from a few new plays, you're not seeing anything you haven't seen before. And not to mention, you have the best coach in NFL history at making in-game adjustments.

I don't see Brady going into a playoff game and tossing 2 picks and Woody/Law Firm coughing one up. Maybe one but not all 3.

To help play that bend-dont-break defense, the key is to go up big early. Make it a catch-up game for the other team and there's only a few teams that can even TRY to play catch-up (Chargers, Colts, Saints); Falcons are too run-oriented, Chiefs are too run-oriented, Jaguars are too run-oriented, Steelers can't protect long enough to make big plays, Ravens and Jets playing deep ball plays into our hands with their average-at-best QBs. On offense, we're the most versatile group in the league so I don't see how Colts, Chargers or Saints keep us under 30 points, which is what they'll need to do to win.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Re: Schefter: Patriots' Flaws Will Resurface

I agree that turnovers do not simply occur. Some teams are more prone to turning the ball over than others as a simple by-product of discipline (or lack thereof). Sure, luck counts, but I don't see the logic of simply assuming a barrage of turnovers will begin to happen at some arbitrary point merely because the law of averages suggests it might.

Not buying it.

As to the experience factor, it's worth pointing out that the Pats have already seen most of the teams they are likely to face in the post-season. Who's going to spring something new on them?

The Jagwires?

The Chefs?

Please.

Schefter is just grasping at straws here to advance ESPN's agenda.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Our dbacks are tied for 2nd overall with 20 picks...  Schefter is just covering his back in case...  Law Firm, Woodhead and Brady don't have a history of turnovers.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Of course every team has flaws.   This isn';t the pre cap era 1989 SF 49ers here.

I'd love to know who this NFL executive was who said "they aren't that good".

High comedy.

The flaw is the pass rush and 3rd down D. That's their only flaw. 

No one else really has a substantially better Special Teams group, coach, QB, offensive line, TEs, WRs, D Line, or Safety Group.

NE is thin at CB, with some inexperience, but that latter adjective is overrated.

They got their experience by learning and taking a lot of lumps THIS YEAR.

Look how vanilla BB's defenses have been leading up to the Pitt game. He pulled a rabbit out, so to speak, just by stunting and blitzing 22 times.

You have to ask, does BB do that at random, or did he do that as part of a gameplan?  It's the latter, obviously.

He used his veteran Ds within very vanilla gameplans all season long in previous seasons, even during SB years, and then in the postseason would unveil brand new things no one ever saw before.

If anyone thinks this is not part of a strategy BB employs, you have been asleep for 10 years.

This year, he used large leads to get basically two sets of defensive personnel to learn zone as a unit, teach certain schemes and tactics, etc, and he's barely even used these things, outside of mixing in zone and man coverages now.

But, he hasn't used what he wants yet.  YET.

There is no doubt in my mind, we have yet to see those f'd up wrinkles that seemingly come out of nowhere that mess with a QB, and look for it on 3rd downs.

You can't say this team's flaws are so obvious simply because BB is this team's coach.

Of course all teams have a flaw or many flaws that can be exposed, but acting like BB doesn't have talent on D that has progressed exponentially from Sept and Oct is a hilalrious, desperate premise.

Again, I'd love to know who Schefter is quoting there.

The common denominator in this that diffuses that desperate premise is some guy named Bill Belichick.

Case closed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

Turnovers is the only thing that is going to stop this team right now. If they don't turn over the ball It's highly unlikely they will be losing any games. Any team no matter how good you are can lose if turn over the ball too much. That's pretty much a given.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

In Response to Re: Schefter: Patriots' Flaws Will Resurface:
    [QUOTE]Of course every team has flaws.   This isn';t the pre cap era 1989 SF 49ers here. I'd love to know who this NFL executive was who said "they aren't that good". High comedy. The flaw is the pass rush and 3rd down D. That's their only flaw.  No one else really has a substantially better Special Teams group, coach, QB, offensive line, TEs, WRs, D Line, or Safety Group. NE is thin at CB, with some inexperience, but that latter adjective is overrated. They got their experience by learning and taking a lot of lumps THIS YEAR. Look how vanilla BB's defenses have been leading up to the Pitt game. He pulled a rabbit out, so to speak, just by stunting and blitzing 22 times. You have to ask, does BB do that at random, or did he do that as part of a gameplan?  It's the latter, obviously. He used his veteran Ds within very vanilla gameplans all season long in previous seasons, even during SB years, and then in the postseason would unveil brand new things no one ever saw before. If anyone thinks this is not part of a strategy BB employs, you have been asleep for 10 years. This year, he used large leads to get basically two sets of defensive personnel to learn zone as a unit, teach certain schemes and tactics, etc, and he's barely even used these things, outside of mixing in zone and man coverages now. But, he hasn't used what he wants yet.  YET. There is no doubt in my mind, we have yet to see those f'd up wrinkles that seemingly come out of nowhere that mess with a QB, and look for it on 3rd downs. You can't say this team's flaws are so obvious simply because BB is this team's coach. Of course all teams have a flaw or many flaws that can be exposed, but acting like BB doesn't have talent on D that has progressed exponentially from Sept and Oct is a hilalrious, desperate premise. Again, I'd love to know who Schefter is quoting there. The common denominator in this that diffuses that desperate premise is some guy named Bill Belichick. Case closed.
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

I know one of those GMs is a guy in New Jersey who has two names that both mean d!ck.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prophet76. Show Prophet76's posts

[QUOTE]Of course every team has flaws.   This isn';t the pre cap era 1989 SF 49ers here. I'd love to know who this NFL executive was who said "they aren't that good". High comedy. The flaw is the pass rush and 3rd down D. That's their only flaw.  No one else really has a substantially better Special Teams group, coach, QB, offensive line, TEs, WRs, D Line, or Safety Group. NE is thin at CB, with some inexperience, but that latter adjective is overrated. They got their experience by learning and taking a lot of lumps THIS YEAR. Look how vanilla BB's defenses have been leading up to the Pitt game. He pulled a rabbit out, so to speak, just by stunting and blitzing 22 times. You have to ask, does BB do that at random, or did he do that as part of a gameplan?  It's the latter, obviously. He used his veteran Ds within very vanilla gameplans all season long in previous seasons, even during SB years, and then in the postseason would unveil brand new things no one ever saw before. If anyone thinks this is not part of a strategy BB employs, you have been asleep for 10 years. This year, he used large leads to get basically two sets of defensive personnel to learn zone as a unit, teach certain schemes and tactics, etc, and he's barely even used these things, outside of mixing in zone and man coverages now. But, he hasn't used what he wants yet.  YET. There is no doubt in my mind, we have yet to see those f'd up wrinkles that seemingly come out of nowhere that mess with a QB, and look for it on 3rd downs. You can't say this team's flaws are so obvious simply because BB is this team's coach. Of course all teams have a flaw or many flaws that can be exposed, but acting like BB doesn't have talent on D that has progressed exponentially from Sept and Oct is a hilalrious, desperate premise. Again, I'd love to know who Schefter is quoting there. The common denominator in this that diffuses that desperate premise is some guy named Bill Belichick. Case closed.
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

BB you hit the nail on the head my friend! This team is doing a great job of protecting the ball and not putting it on the ground so all of a sudden that's just going to flat out change??? As for the D Bill always saves the most creative looks for when it counts, later in the season, key games, and the playoffs. Look at the soft zone play against Fitzpatrick for most of the Buffalo game! Bill obviously felt the Offense could win that game while still giving up points on the other side of the ball. The pundits always seem to forget that and are just using the misleading yardage stats to back their argument. The 3rd down not getting off the field thing is a troublesome but with some health back on the DL we may see a change in that as well.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

The only thing stopping this train will be lack of execution. We've been playing aginst good defense and are winning the turnover ratio.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

The Chefs?

Great Googlie Mooglie!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fancy-shamanski. Show fancy-shamanski's posts

The biggest plus the pats have is brady and the offense are playing at a very high level. 
    There only flaw is pass rush and pass defense, But that's a pretty big flaw.

I could see the pats d giving up a lot of pass yards in the superbowl dome against the saints

BUT they have brady and he is the best by far

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ricky1554atl. Show ricky1554atl's posts

Schefter = Dear Abby

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

If Schefter had said, "If the Patriots flaws resurface, there are other NFL teams capable of beating them," no sensible person would argue.

But to say, "The Patriots flaws will resurface," and more particularly that they will turn the ball over, is shear hocus-pocus.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

When people place you on a pedestal, it is for the express purpose of knocking you back off it.  Not surprised about this, or any other article.  We are what we are, when they said we weren't that good, and now when they say we are.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Adam Shefter is banking on the laws of averages.. at some point for the balance of the season, Brady may throw a pick or a fumble occurs.  It's like when the Pats went 18 - 0 going into the SB.  The law of averages basically caught up with them facing a hot team with a D playing over their heads and the bounces going the opponents way.  There are folks out there who are looking for that misstep and figuring if they call for it enough and it happens, they are geniuses!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Norger. Show Norger's posts

Schefter has a point, but this is why this season, especially the last few weeks, have been so much fun to watch. 

The Pats have dominated three playoff caliber teams (Steelers, Jets, Bears), but there's no guarantee this will continue.  No question this team is flawed. Brady's short-intermediate passes make the run game look better than it is (the Law Firm is very consistent, doesn't fumble, but talent-wise is probably not  a top tier NFL running back).  I don't think this defense is as good as any of the Pats' SB winning teams, and is probably not as good as the D they had in 2007.  They need the offense to protect them, and Brady has been delivering. But the D does have some championship caliber pieces in place  (Wilfork, Mayo,McCourty) and as a unit, they're getting better every week.

This team goes as far as Brady and these wideouts/TE's can carry them.  But if they can get the first seed in the AFC, I really like their chances.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brendon-Patrick. Show Brendon-Patrick's posts

Just going off trends. I think the playoffs will make or break the team, particularly the first week.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brendon-Patrick. Show Brendon-Patrick's posts

I'll stress this over and over again. Ball. Control. Offense. They can't get ahead of themselves trying to make the next step before taking the one in front of them. It's simple, play within themselves, not to the pace of the field around them or what have you.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Spectors reasoning( oh wait I meant Schefter) is that we are so good that sooner or later we will be bad...ok. I realize he is supposedly paraphrasing what was said to him by an imaginary GM but perhaps he is just covering his own rectum?!?! He guessed correctly on the Browns victory but couldn't have been more wrong on the Pats stomping of the bears. As he says he will now pick us to win all the way through the SB.....but wouldn't be surprised if we falter??? Good analysis CHEF.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brendon-Patrick. Show Brendon-Patrick's posts

Assuming the defense continues its ascent and keeps making plays, whether is be from late season bloomers in Darius Butler, Brandon Spikes coming off of a 4 game suspension, or one of the other guys stepping up and capitalizing on turnovers, I see no reason why the Patriots shouldn't be winning their fourth Super Bowl banner in February. I'm so excited for the playoffs!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

There is nothing unreasonable in the article.  The whole section on turnovers and such was Schefter quoting an undisclosed coach, and not Schefter's prediction.  But even the coach being quoted wasn't unreasonable.  Think about it:

1. We've gone 5 games without a turnover and set an NFL RECORD in the process.  It's not exactly rocket science to think the streak will end soon and we'll have some turnovers.

2. I firmly believe that you are never as bad as you're made out to be when things aren't going well, and never as good as you're made out to be when things are going well.  It's not hard to imagine the media hype machine making the Pats out to be better than they really are.

So basically, this article gets filed into the MOTO file.  Nothing shocking there.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

Not turning the ball over is not "luck", or just some random happening. These guys are coached to protect the ball, and they seem to have learned well. Do I think they'll go through six more games without one? I doubt it. But the key is to force more than you give up, and not make them at inopportune moments (i.e. the red zone or when milking a lead). I don't know who he was quoting in his article. Most likely it was someone from a team that will need to get by NE, and half of it is wishful thinking. Like the saying goes, that's why they play the games. I used to like Shefter on NFLN. Haven't seen him since he went to the media morons in Bristol. Let them talk all they want. It's not like this team hasn't made reporters eat their words before!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

[QUOTE]The biggest plus the pats have is brady and the offense are playing at a very high level.  There only flaw is pass rush and pass defense, But that's a pretty big flaw. I could see the pats d giving up a lot of pass yards in the superbowl dome against the saints BUT they have brady and he is the best by far
    Posted by fancy-shamanski[/QUOTE]
    BUY YOUR TICKETS YET?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

[QUOTE]Adam Shefter is banking on the laws of averages.. at some point for the balance of the season, Brady may throw a pick or a fumble occurs.  It's like when the Pats went 18 - 0 going into the SB.  The law of averages basically caught up with them facing a hot team with a D playing over their heads and the bounces going the opponents way.  There are folks out there who are looking for that misstep and figuring if they call for it enough and it happens, they are geniuses!!
    Posted by agcsbill[/QUOTE]
    What bounces? The G-mens' D was far better than the Pats'. Enough with the 3 year old excuses. Makes you sound adolescent.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

The 2007 SB loss is constantly used by the haters. As if having an undeated regular season and losing a close championship game was somehow a terrible season. I always ask them if they'd rather their team have a .500 record and not make the playoffs. That certainly must be better.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from sheldong. Show sheldong's posts

[QUOTE]Adam Shefter is banking on the laws of averages..[/QUOTE]

People just don't understand what "The Law of Averages" means.  They think that if a flipped coin comes up heads five times in a row that  "The Law of Averages" means that the odds are very great that it will come up tails the next time.  That is BS.  The next flip still has the odds at 50-50.  What "The Law of Averages" means is that BEFORE a set of trials, that the odds of SIX HEADS IN A ROW is very small. 

So the odds of turnovers is the same from here on out as it has been so far.  In fact, it is more like flipping a loaded coin where the odds of a single flip being heads would be 2/3.   Based on past history, one would EXPECT the same kind of ratio to continue.  That is, one would expect almost a +1.5 per game on average.

I hate when people spout things in areas that they don't know their "buttocks" (since I can't use the word I want here) from their elbow.

By the way, if I saw a coin flip series and it came up 100 heads in a row and no tails, I would bet the house on it coming up heads again on the next flip.  That is called "evaluating history", not "The Law of Averages".