scoring differential by half

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

scoring differential by half

these facts are taken from tim grahams espn afc east blog. we all know this happened but the numbers are still shocking:
    "The New England Patriots had the greatest first-half margin at 146 points, and just one team outside of the top 12 made the playoffs. The Baltimore Ravens finished 16th. "
    "The Patriots, who outscored opponents by an NFL-high 146 points in the first half, were outscored by a point in the second half. They ranked 24th in third-quarter differential and 17th in second-half differential. "

The person with the best explanation for the second  half drop off wins a free old pizza!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Re: scoring differential by half

My gut instinct says the second half drop should be blamed on rap music and video games.  But it's possible that somehow Al qaeda is behind it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

Don't tell Paul K.  His ranking system doesn't account for such things.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

In Response to Re: scoring differential by half:
    TROLL
    Posted by Celtics12345

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Thanks for the facts, Sir. 

I, for one, blame O'Brien. You can only call some many Moss up top, Welker under before a defensive co-ordinator starts calling some cover-3 plays. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

I blame the players not named Brady, Moss, Welker and Faulk.  If they could actually get open or run for tough yards without breaking their hip, we probably would have won a few more games.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

We're young on defense, we didn't adjust at half time and we were very hurt. Our defense against good teams was Paper mache' in the second half which is a true sign of youth and lack of nuts. We're also young in the Coaching end which led to the most predictable play calling I've seen since Dick McPherson held the reigns.

This is also good proof why some of the stats we throw out there to show how good the Pats were last year are very misleading. We compiled a good majority of those stats in the first half and against the More $h!tty teams in the league.

And....We still made the playoffs..I expect better results this year on defense and from our Make-shift O-Coordinator.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

We're young on defense, we didn't adjust at half time and we were very hurt. Our defense against good teams was Paper mache' in the second half which is a true sign of youth and lack of nuts. We're also young in the Coaching end which led to the most predictable play calling I've seen since Dick McPherson held the reigns. This is also good proof why some of the stats we throw out there to show how good the Pats were last year are very misleading. We compiled a good majority of those stats in the first half and against the More $h!tty teams in the league. And....We still made the playoffs..I expect better results this year on defense and from our Make-shift O-Coordinator.
    Posted by ewhite1065

I think the excuse of blaming the New England defense for the team's short comings isn't fair. 

Buffalo - 14 points in the first half, 10 in the second. 
    NYJ- 3 in the first half, 13 in the second. (0 points scored in the second by NE.) 
    ATL - 10 in the first half, 0 in the second half. 
    Ravens - 7 in the first, 14 in he second. 
    Denver - 7 in the first, 10 in the second. (0 points scored by NE in the second)
    Tennessee - 0 points scored
    Tampa - 7 in the first, 0 in the second. 
    MIA - 10 in the first, 7 in the second. 
    Indy - 14 in the first, 21 in the second. Only 10 points in the 2nd qt, but 24 in 1st
    NYJ - 7 in the first, 7 in the second. 
    NO - 24 in the first, 14 in the second. (only 17 points by the offense, all game)
    MIA - 10 in the first, 12 in the second. (only 7 points in the second by NE)
    Panthers - 7 in the first, 3 in the second. 
    Bills - 3 in the first half, 7 in the second. 
    Jags - 0 in the first, 7 in the second. 
    Texans - 13 in the first, 21 in the second(only 14 points in the second half)

Did we have a dominant defense last year? No, but the offense didn't help much. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to Re: scoring differential by half : I think the excuse of blaming the New England defense for the team's short comings isn't fair.  Buffalo - 14 points in the first half, 10 in the second.  NYJ- 3 in the first half, 13 in the second. (0 points scored in the second by NE.)   ATL - 10 in the first half, 0 in the second half.  Ravens - 7 in the first, 14 in he second.  Denver - 7 in the first, 10 in the second. (0 points scored by NE in the second) Tennessee - 0 points scored Tampa - 7 in the first, 0 in the second.  MIA - 10 in the first, 7 in the second.  Indy - 14 in the first, 21 in the second.   Only 10 points in the 2nd qt, but 24 in 1st NYJ - 7 in the first, 7 in the second.  NO - 24 in the first, 14 in the second. (only 17 points by the offense, all game) MIA - 10 in the first, 12 in the second. (only 7 points in the second by NE) Panthers - 7 in the first, 3 in the second.  Bills - 3 in the first half, 7 in the second.  Jags - 0 in the first, 7 in the second.  T exans - 13 in the first, 21 in the second (only 14 points in the second half) Did we have a dominant defense last year? No, but the offense didn't help much. 
    Posted by 49Patriots

I blame everyone but the 2 aspects of the team that  really made my stomach turn last year was our 2nd half d and the play calling. The d looked good at times but there were times when they looked like the worst d in the league like in the Colts game or against the Ravens. I have to give them some blame, they deserve it.
    If we can play good for a half we should be able to do it for a whole game. When we were winning Superbowls it was because our Defense kept us in every game by not giving up big plays. We gave up a ton of big plays last year and when we were bad it was nothing for a team to consistently rip off 6 or 7 yards a play.

That being said there's plenty of blame to go around and like I said..We still made the playoffs.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

I agree with 49Pats.  D was just fine last year.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

In Response to Re: scoring differential by half :  I blame everyone but the 2 aspects of the team that  really made my stomach turn last year was our 2nd half d and the play calling. The d looked good at times but there were times when they looked like the worst d in the league like in the Colts game or against the Ravens. I have to give them some blame, they deserve it. If we can play good for a half we should be able to do it for a whole game. When we were winning Superbowls it was because our Defense kept us in every game by not giving up big plays. We gave up a ton of big plays last year and when we were bad it was nothing for a team to consistently rip off 6 or 7 yards a play. That being said there's plenty of blame to go around and like I said..We still made the playoffs.
    Posted by ewhite1065

Every D is going to look bad at some point in the season no matter how good they are.  Our super duper 2003 D gave up 34 points to the Colts.  And our Super Bowl D's gave up a lot of points in the second half in all three games (I think Warner marched down the field for the tying TD in about 20 seconds).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to Re: scoring differential by half : Every D is going to look bad at some point in the season no matter how good they are.  Our super duper 2003 D gave up 34 points to the Colts.  And our Super Bowl D's gave up a lot of points in the second half in all three games (I think Warner marched down the field for the tying TD in about 20 seconds).
    Posted by themightypatriotz

I look at it this way..When we needed to stop decent offenses from scoring at the end of the game we couldn't do it. The Colts, the Dolphins, the Texans ETC. That's the difference between this d and the 2003 D. When we needed big plays out of the 2003 D we got them. Last year, No chance. When I watched games last year and teams went for it on 4th and short I had no confidence at all that we could stop them.And we seldom did.
    If you guys like them that's good but I don't and I hope we improve quite a bit this year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

IIn Response to Re: scoring differential by half:
    In Response to Re: scoring differential by half : Bro, TBC and Ninkovich were out last year agaisnt Indy in the second half. Go back and watch their 1st half. They both were harrassing Manning. Heck, even Wilhite had a pick. Maroney fumbled arguably IN THE END ZONE. Bodden shut down Wayne and Garcon (until late).  In fact, Collingstool made mention of Bodden in the 3rd quarter. Warren and Green just came back for the first time in that game. Way, way too much, including a POlian Special were stacked against them. I understand your point, and I agree, but when you have a series of factors lining up against you on the road, I am not even sure the 2003 D would have recovered from that.
    Posted by russgriswold

agreed.. lets get better

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

I think our D made lots of 4th quarter stops last year but the offense couldn't run out the clock.  And our glory day D gave up lots of 4th quarter points too.

If we could get the same scoring performance out of our D as in 2009 for the rest of the Patriots' existence, we would all be thrilled.  One day we're gonna have a D like the Lions or Rams and we'll be crying for the days of Dean Pees and Maryweather.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

I think our D made lots of 4th quarter stops last year but the offense couldn't run out the clock.  And our glory day D gave up lots of 4th quarter points too. If we could get the same scoring performance out of our D as in 2009 for the rest of the Patriots' existence, we would all be thrilled.  One day we're gonna have a D like the Lions or Rams and we'll be crying for the days of Dean Pees and Maryweather.

Well, what happened was, that second game, we got our @ass kicked. In the second half, we just got our @ass totally kicked. We couldn’t do diddly pooo offensively, we couldn’t make a first down, we couldn’t run the ball, we didn’t try to run the ball, we couldn’t complete a pass - we suckked. The second half, we suckked. We couldn't stop the run. Every time they got the ball, they went down and got points. We got our @ass totally kicked in the second half - that's what it boiled down to. It was a horseshit performance in the second half. Horseshit. I’m totally embarrassed and totally ashamed. Coaching did a horrible job. The players did a horrible job. We got our @ass kicked in that second half. It suckked. It stunk.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

In Response to Re: scoring differential by half : Well, what happened was, that second game, we got our @ass kicked. In the second half, we just got our @ass totally kicked. We couldn’t do diddly pooo offensively, we couldn’t make a first down, we couldn’t run the ball, we didn’t try to run the ball, we couldn’t complete a pass - we suckked. The second half, we suckked. We couldn't stop the run. Every time they got the ball, they went down and got points. We got our @ass totally kicked in the second half - that's what it boiled down to. It was a horseshit performance in the second half. Horseshit. I’m totally embarrassed and totally ashamed. Coaching did a horrible job. The players did a horrible job. We got our @ass kicked in that second half. It suckked. It stunk.
    Posted by ewhite1065

Laughing

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to Re: scoring differential by half :

Nobody says it better than jim

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

If the Pats improve in this area it could make the biggest difference in this up coming season. Think about the offense stringing more drives together not so many 3 and outs that occured last year. Our D doens't see the field as often. Be nice to see the offense more consistent.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Anybody see this?

http://www.patspulpit.com/2010/7/25/1584658/both-halves-of-the-issue-patriots?ref=yahoo

1. The Patriots run on first down. They rarely run on second down. They definitely won't run on third down. They'll probably run on fourth down (hint: It will go to Sammy Morris).
    2. Maroney becomes less productive as the game progresses (1Q: 5.2 y/c, 2Q: 3.3 y/c, 3Q: 3.5 y/c, 4Q: 3.0 y/c) and is not a workhorse back.
    3. Once Tom Brady has thrown 10 passes, Maroney is really the only back who will run the ball- and since he gets worn down as the game progresses, this is horrible offensive scheming.
    4. Seriously, once Brady had thrown 10 passes, Maroney ran 67 more times. Faulk, Morris and Taylor combined for 23 carries.
    5. That also means that the Patriots lead backs only ran the ball 90 times after Brady had thrown 10 times. Brady hits that number, on average, in the middle of the 2nd quarter. That means 77.0% of the Patriots running attempts came before Brady had thrown 10 times. Which means early in the game. And not after the half.
    6. Most of the late game running plays were hand-offs from Hoyer.
    7. Morris and Maroney's yard/carry dropped by over a full yard from the first half to the second half.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Any team holding something like a 28 point lead at the half is going to run fewer gimmick plays, is going to throw fewer bombs and run more dives up the middle in the second half.  The Patriots until 2009 held a stunning record, maybe 75-3, in victories when Tom Brady led after three quarters.  Perhaps the system was so successful year after year that the Patriots got complacent and lost a few games at the end in 2009, because everyone in the house knew that the Pats would never gamble late, so defenses put eight men in the box to stop the Patriots' dives, and offenses threw five yard passes all through the fourth quarter against the predictable Patriots defenses.