Sealver Siliga - another proof that BB is the best GM

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Angel-of-Light. Show Angel-of-Light's posts

Sealver Siliga - another proof that BB is the best GM

Mike Reiss has an interesting article about Siliga.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4757564/dt-siliga-nearly-joined-broncos-again

It's crazy that he was on all four remaining teams, but only BB was able to see his potential. I know, injuries played a role, but still. The Pats also blocked Broncos from getting Siliga back Smile It sounds like the guy is really happy that he ended up with the Pats.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Sealver Siliga - another proof that BB is the best GM

Great article but not sure this points to the greatest GM part. Considering the Pats didn't get him first and he was on 3 other teams before the Pats so that means the Pats passed on him 3 times. They also tried to fill the bad interior run D with Soap through a trade prior to Siliga, so Silida end up being the last stop during a season they tried to plug everyone else in before getting him. However, I will say this does point to BB being the best coach. Other teams obviously saw the potential but couldn't unlock it. It took BB the coach to unlock his potential. As I've said in the past, BB is one of the best coaches ever and gets the most out of his players. Sometimes though I don't think the GM gives him talent with the heighest ceiling level so imo that's the limiting factor in the coaches ability to unlock that talent. But, if I need to have BB the GM (who is I think is average to slighty better than average as a GM) in order to get BB the coach (who imo turns those UDFA's and late round picks into something special) then I wouldn't want it any other way. Just wish he'd alter his philosphy more often (he has in the past, ie moving up to draft a edge rusher and paying a bit more for higher level talent entering their prime)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Great article but not sure this points to the greatest GM part. Considering the Pats didn't get him first and he was on 3 other teams before the Pats so that means the Pats passed on him 3 times. They also tried to fill the bad interior run D with Soap through a trade prior to Siliga, so Silida end up being the last stop during a season they tried to plug everyone else in before getting him. However, I will say this does point to BB being the best coach. Other teams obviously saw the potential but couldn't unlock it. It took BB the coach to unlock his potential. As I've said in the past, BB is one of the best coaches ever and gets the most out of his players. Sometimes though I don't think the GM gives him talent with the heighest ceiling level so imo that's the limiting factor in the coaches ability to unlock that talent. But, if I need to have BB the GM (who is I think is average to slighty better than average as a GM) in order to get BB the coach (who imo turns those UDFA's and late round picks into something special) then I wouldn't want it any other way. Just wish he'd alter his philosphy more often (he has in the past, ie moving up to draft a edge rusher and paying a bit more for higher level talent entering their prime)

[/QUOTE]

An NFL GM's job includes: draft management, trades of picks and players, free agent acquisition, personnel management, college and pro scouting, contract management, cap management, player development, and managing medical/training/legal/financial/administrative functions, among other roles. Perhaps Bill has not met his own lofty standards in draft management, according to some, but his overall job rating as a GM is very high. My guess is that 31 other teams would fire their existing GM and coach to get BB as a combination GM and coach.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

INstead of saying "Proof",  I would use "example" and instead of "best" I would say "successful"...

Hey..  this is good news since Belichick held onto this key player where he could hve helped the Broncos....!  Put him on the other side and it could have shifted the balance that is in favor of Patriots at the moment...IMO.

Plus it offsets the Marquise Cole move in a way... from the "familiarity" standpoint.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to neinmd's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

An NFL GM's job includes: draft management, trades of picks and players, free agent acquisition, personnel management, college and pro scouting, contract management, cap management, player development, and managing medical/training/legal/financial/administrative functions, among other roles. Perhaps Bill has not met his own lofty standards in draft management, according to some, but his overall job rating as a GM is very high. My guess is that 31 other teams would fire their existing GM and coach to get BB as a combination GM and coach.

[/QUOTE]

Hear, Hear.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Angel-of-Light. Show Angel-of-Light's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

INstead of saying "Proof",  I would use "example" and instead of "best" I would say "successful"...

Hey..  this is good news since Belichick held onto this key player where he could hve helped the Broncos....!  Put him on the other side and it could have shifted the balance that is in favor of Patriots at the moment...IMO.

Plus it offsets the Marquise Cole move in a way... from the "familiarity" standpoint.

[/QUOTE]

I admit that the title was created to draw attention, this is a regular practice in today's media. I truly believe that we should be careful with labeling someone as "the best", as there is a very good chance that somebody else will be better.

I just think that this year was one of the best for BB GM and coach. He drafted Collins when I thought that the Pats were already deep at linebacker, he traded for Blount and got rid of Woodhead (I love Danny, but would your rather have him or Blount?), he stashed Siliga on the PS until it was absolutely necessary to move him to the active roster.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to Angel-of-Light's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to coolade2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I admit that the title was created to draw attention, this is a regular practice in today's media. I truly believe that we should be careful with labeling someone as "the best", as there is a very good chance that somebody else will be better.

I just think that this year was one of the best for BB GM and coach. He drafted Collins when I thought that the Pats were already deep at linebacker, he traded for Blount and got rid of Woodhead (I love Danny, but would your rather have him or Blount?), he stashed Siliga on the PS until it was absolutely necessary to move him to the active roster.

[/QUOTE]

Agree....  The Patriots were dealt a bad hand to start the year and it just got more and more challenging as it went on...  Belichick just kept doing his thing which is consistently assessing the situation and making improvements..  and Bing the results are indisputable.  A lot of credit this year goes to his staff as well for developing these key depth players.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cloudyandrain. Show Cloudyandrain's posts

little off topic

how can he do coaching, general manager, and the defensive coorindator at the same time?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to Cloudyandrain's comment:
    [QUOTE]

little off topic

how can he do coaching, general manager, and the defensive coorindator at the same time?

[/QUOTE]

And some here think he calls the offense too, while doing this....

?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cloudyandrain. Show Cloudyandrain's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

little off topic

[/QUOTE]

?

[/QUOTE]

Damn, he needs to step aside for a while and let his assistants do their job. Smile

I can't imagine he takes a break. He must be a master of mulitasking.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

little off topic

[/QUOTE]

?

[/QUOTE]

Damn, he needs to step aside for a while and let his assistants do their job. Smile

[/QUOTE]

Don't you watch the games?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cloudyandrain. Show Cloudyandrain's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

little off topic

[/QUOTE]

?

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

of course

but my question is how can do all of this at the same time? It is sometimes diffcult and stressful to do more one task. His "system" that he created could have been a failure but it didn't.

I don't see other coaches doing similar like him. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

little off topic

[/QUOTE]

?

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

of course

but my question is how can do all of this at the same time? It is sometimes diffcult and stressful to do more one task. His "system" that he created could have been a failure but it didn't.

[/QUOTE]

Why does it matter how he does it? Why does it matter that other coaches don't do what he does? He does it and the result has been good -- 3 AFCCGs in three years - better than other coaches.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cloudyandrain. Show Cloudyandrain's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

little off topic

[/QUOTE]

?

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

of course

[/QUOTE]

Why does it matter how he does it? Why does it matter that other coaches don't do what he does? He does it and the result has been good -- 3 AFCCGs in three years - better than other coaches.

[/QUOTE]

Just being curious. geez.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

There are sundry facets of a GM's job that add to the whole, but the draft is BY FAR the most important aspect of the endeavor.

If you want to be called a great GM, you must draft great.

Because of numerous wretched draft picks, BB has been forced to dumpster dive for NFL rejects and has come up with some decent scraps here and there. But you will never find a Lombardi while dumpster diving.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Lets not get carried away here. Seal is a nice find, just what the team needed at the 11th hour after the Soap swing and miss. But Seal is not a pro bowl player. He is a guy that is big and strong enough to fill 2 gaps most of the time. Truly serviceable, but I am thinking Kyle Love but younger and cheaper. Seal could be a nice rotational player next year for this team, maybe. He was released by 3 other teams that do not play 2 gap because he simply was not better than what they had. I would assume if Vince works out his financials, Kelly comes back heathy and Armstead comes back healthy, that the Pats still draft a DT in rounds 1-3. IMO that puts Seal on the bubble of the roster   

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Lets not get carried away here. Seal is a nice find, just what the team needed at the 11th hour after the Soap swing and miss. But Seal is not a pro bowl player. He is a guy that is big and strong enough to fill 2 gaps most of the time. Truly serviceable, but I am thinking Kyle Love but younger and cheaper. Seal could be a nice rotational player next year for this team, maybe. He was released by 3 other teams that do not play 2 gap because he simply was not better than what they had. I would assume if Vince works out his financials, Kelly comes back heathy and Armstead comes back healthy, that the Pats still draft a DT in rounds 1-3. IMO that puts Seal on the bubble of the roster   

[/QUOTE]

I think he is a roster lock..  but we'll see

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Bb is a coach's coach. Bringing siliga onboard was a nice move, however one done out of necessity given the release of,love and deaderick, the injuries of vw and Kelly and the miss on armstead. Good move, good player, but if we are truely a championship caliber team, siliga is depth. I can say the same for other players on this roster that are starting as well. So, its really a testament to how bb build the roster from top to bottom and is able to overcome insurmountable injuries and still win. Siliga is a nice rotational player forced into a starting role and playing above his pay grade. Good for him.

Kudos really to bb the coach more than anything. He generally gets players to play above or at their ceiling and prepares them better than anyone else. A coach's coach.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to TSWFAN's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think he is a roster lock..  but we'll see

[/QUOTE]

if you think he is a lock, let me ask you;

-do you think Vince is back?

-do you think Kelly is back?

-Armstead i under contract next year, do you think he plays?

-do you think the Pats draft a DT in rds 1 thru 3? and do they cut that draft choice after preseason?

-do you think the Pats keep more than 4 DT's

-who stays between Seal, Jones and Vellano?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm still screaming from last draft to get DL.   Anywhere.   Safety and DL ill be happy.   OL with whats left. Tag talib if necessary and fix the interiors.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm still screaming from last draft to get DL.   Anywhere.   Safety and DL ill be happy.   OL with whats left. Tag talib if necessary and fix the interiors.  

[/QUOTE]

you are preaching to the choir! I don't see them going S early. A shame that BB used resources on Gregory, Harmon, AWilson and TWilson, yet you feel that the team needs S help.  I can see them signing Gregory to a lower deal, keeping him but making him the 3rd S with Harmon hopefully stepping up.

I simply see Vince, Kelly and Armstead back, and all locks. I also think they draft DT for with an eye to down the road. Thats 4 locks IMO. If they carry 5 players for DT spots, Jones, Vellao an Seal fight out for the final spot IMO. I think they also need DE depth, as Nink and Jones are playing too much. Bequette is done IMO, and jury still out with Buchanon. Would Caretr come back? What is he, 50 years old now?      

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

BB never assumes that he has taken his perfect player.  He picked up Soap too, for a seventh rounder.  Soap wasn't as good.

BB is distinguished by the sheer number of players that come through Foxboro.  Bad ones get cut in about three days.  Diamonds in the rough, or more likely zircons, get saved, and many of them blossom.  The other coaches haven't figured this out, for some reason.

This year's winner is the Jeff Demps for Blount trade.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:
    [QUOTE]

BB never assumes that he has taken his perfect player.  He picked up Soap too, for a seventh rounder.  Soap wasn't as good.

BB is distinguished by the sheer number of players that come through Foxboro.  Bad ones get cut in about three days.  Diamonds in the rough, or more likely zircons, get saved, and many of them blossom.  The other coaches haven't figured this out, for some reason.

This year's winner is the Jeff Demps for Blount trade.

[/QUOTE]

Hear hear!