Seriously, when push comes to shove, what do you believe welkers deal should be for???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

Seriously, when push comes to shove, what do you believe welkers deal should be for???

I love Welker as much as any true Patriots fan but based on the position he plays in the Patriots offense & having a guy like Edelman waiting in the wings....

I'd offer him a 3 year 18 million dollar contract with a 2 million signing bonus & feel that I'd have been VERY FAIR to him....thoughts??

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Re: Seriously, when push comes to shove, what do you believe welkers deal should be for???

Considering his age and size, I'll agree.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-dogg81. Show p-dogg81's posts

Re: Seriously, when push comes to shove, what do you believe welkers deal should be for???

He doesnt seem like the type to take it personally and hold out or cause distractions. For now I would franchise him and worry about bringing back as many of these guys as you can: Andre Carter, mark Anderson, Dan kopen, Brian waters, Matt light, deion branch, gerrard Warren, Matt slater.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

Why franchize him if you can get him for 3/21 3/18? I absolutely do not think he should get 10 per. No freaking way. I figure he will get like 4/30 to be honest. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

4 years, 34 million, 20 million guaranteed, only a 2m cap hit if he is cut before year 4 with a 10 million salary that final year...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

In Response to Seriously, when push comes to shove, what do you believe welkers deal should be for???:
    [QUOTE]I love Welker as much as any true Patriots fan but based on the position he plays in the Patriots offense & having a guy like Edelman waiting in the wings.... I'd offer him a 3 year 18 million dollar contract with a 2 million signing bonus & feel that I'd have been VERY FAIR to him....thoughts??
    Posted by dmcpatsfan[/QUOTE]
    I doubt he'd sign that, based on # of years and base salary.  He's worth more imo, you have to pay to retain player who you truly value. Lets try 4 years, with the bulk of the money coming in the first 3, so the 4th would essentially be an option year.  If the Pats are only offering 3 year deals, the $ per year would have to be pretty high.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In Response to Seriously, when push comes to shove, what do you believe welkers deal should be for???:
    [QUOTE]I love Welker as much as any true Patriots fan but based on the position he plays in the Patriots offense & having a guy like Edelman waiting in the wings.... I'd offer him a 3 year 18 million dollar contract with a 2 million signing bonus & feel that I'd have been VERY FAIR to him....thoughts??
    Posted by dmcpatsfan[/QUOTE]

Why do people "cheapen" Welkers worth because he is considered a slot receiver (he's still considered a WR by the NFL), especially when he has more receptions over 20 yrds than the player some want to give up a 1st rd pick and 10 million dollars a year to?  He has more yrds/g, YAC, 1dn, REC, TD's, every thing!!!

Do receivers get paid by the pound?
    Pay the man, he's been under paid for years. Or is this one of those Saints/ Brees things?

RKPLAYERTEAMRECTARYDSAVGTDLONG20+YDS/GFUMYAC1DN
    1Calvin Johnson, WRDET961581,68117.5167332105.1152477
    2Wes Welker, WRNE1221721,56912.99992198.1073277
    3Victor Cruz, WRNYG821311,53618.79992596.0159559
    4Larry Fitzgerald, WRARI801531,41117.68732588.2049361
    5Steve Smith, WRCAR791291,39417.67772987.1347453
    6Rob Gronkowski, TENE901241,32714.717522282.9065669
    7Jimmy Graham, TENO991491,31013.211591881.9146974
    8Roddy White, WRATL1001811,29613.08431881.0036477
    9Jordy Nelson, WRGB68961,26318.615931978.9042947
    10Brandon Marshall, WRMIA811451,21415.06652075.9132553
    RKPLAYERTEAMRECTARYDSAVGTDLONG20+YDS/GFUMYAC1DN
    11Mike Wallace, WRPIT721131,19316.68951874.6149354
    12Hakeem Nicks, WRNYG761331,19215.77681779.5036254
    13Dwayne Bowe, WRKC811411,15914.35521972.4135957
    14Marques Colston, WRNO801071,14314.38501581.6126555
    15Antonio Brown, WRPIT691231,10816.12791869.3034357
    16Vincent Jackson, WRSD601151,10618.49582169.1022354
    17A.J. Green, WRCIN651161,05716.37581970.5029243
    18Nate Washington, WRTEN741211,02313.87571363.9034947
    19Steve Johnson, WRBUF761351,00413.27551362.8032545
    20Darrius Heyward-Bey, WROAK6411597515.24581465.0128244

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

You can not pay him to make up for being under paid in past years. Tough luck.  If he wants more then a 3 year 18/2 deal I would franchise him and trade him to NFC team for a first or second round pick. Patriots are lucky in that they have Hernandez and edelman to play from the slot with little drop off if any. Welker is an old 31 too with the abuse he has taken.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

BTW...If you let Welker go you MUST add Wallace. even if you keep him it is a good idea

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In Response to Re: Seriously, when push comes to shove, what do you believe welkers deal should be for???:
    [QUOTE]4 years, 34 million, 20 million guaranteed, only a 2m cap hit if he is cut before year 4 with a 10 million salary that final year...
    Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE]

Is this really how it works? My understanding is that the $20 million signing bonus (the guaranteed part) would be prorated across the life of the deal, so it would result in a $5 million annual hit to the cap.  If Welker were cut after year three, the remaining $5 million of the prorated bonus amount would still count against the cap in year four.  I could be wrong, but that's how I understand it works. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from timesedge. Show timesedge's posts

I think that a fair price would be a 4 year deal for 30-32m with 18m guaranteed. He's a route runner and not really a speedster, so I'd project that he'll probably still be very effective when he's 35, assuming that he doesn't get hurt.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

Keep him around as long as brady is here!  Don't let what happen in the Branch situation years ago - happen again.  Brady was PISSED off when they didn't re-sign Branch years ago - and he'll be PISSED off again, if they don't take care of Welker and keep him around here for more than just 1 yr.  They let Wilfork go to his last dying day, and paid him.  I'm hoping they do the same with Welker.  They should take care of him SOONER than Later.  You can't replace welker with edelman and think the offense will be fine.  Edelman wont' catch 122 balls a year. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

I dont understand everyones fasination with Edelman. The few times he has been in the games he drops as many as he catches.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

If I had to guess what he will get, it would be 4 years for 30 million.

What do I think he is worth? 3 years, 22 million.

Take the emotion out of the deal, 3 years 18 million sounds about right.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

A HUGE vat of Stickem.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

As much as I love this guy and what he brings, I actually wouldnt be mad if they moved on from him.

I believe his 120 catches a year hinders our offense to be diversive and if he were to leave it would force us to spread the ball around more and actually RUN the Ball with our RB's instead of this "extenstion of the run game" by throwing short to Wes all day.

Sure it moves the ball, but it doesnt wear the defense down like pounding the rock does.

Spend that money on Defense and then we can afford for our offense to stall a few times (something that still happens now) because our defense would get more 3 and outs as well.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

In Response to Re: Seriously, when push comes to shove, what do you believe welkers deal should be for???:
    [QUOTE]I dont understand everyones fasination with Edelman. The few times he has been in the games he drops as many as he catches.
    Posted by Quagmire3[/QUOTE]

Say your going to overpay Welker 10 per and they are going to get another WR. You don't think it's better to have 2 good outside receivers and Edelman in the slot then 2 Meh outside receivers again and a good slot guy? I do. Edleman would still get 50-70 cathes by default and Gronk and Hernandez would get more single coverages. They have to make teams cover short, long and itermediate routes instead of teams basically manning up on the outside and the corners winning when the WR should win that matchup the majority of the time. I woul not overpay Welker and would rather have 2 good outside receivers then overpay Welker and have 2 mediocre outside guys again. If they get him to sign for like 7 and change they should be able to lure in a LLoyd, Reggie Wayne , Pierre Garcon etc..which is the scenerio I really want

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Tom, thats an interesting idea. I too believe we could use that franchise money elsewhere.

I like Wes, but since coming here and having a million catches, we still havent won a SB. He is too small to be dominant no matter how many catches he has.

IF you use the cheap replacement in Edleman, u still get production but you dont have that same reliability but thats good because Brady wont go there all day and then whoever we bring in would have to be integrated. The reason Ocho wasnt used because in their opinon he wasnt needed. They won games without him but if wes/gronk get hurt your done. I dont the offense being dependant on 2 players.

I think with a Wayne and or Llloyd,. or draft pick plus our 2 stud TE's and a greater commitment to a run game is fine and Edleman can still make some catches in the slot. You keep Branch as the backup slot/outside guy in case of injury or continue to groom Underwood and let him and Branch fight in camp for 5th spot.

Now you can use that 9 million in free agency to lock up 2 Wr's or one and use the rest on a Legit safety like Landry or Goldson.

Also remember that Hernandez can play some slot too. You mix it up like that(how we used to) now the defense cannot key on anyone and you have diversity again.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Now you can use that 9 million in free agency to lock up 2 Wr's or one and use the rest on a Legit safety like Landry or Goldson.

I think Landry is damaged goods. I dont want anything to do with him.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Seriously, when push comes to shove, what do you believe welkers deal should be for??? : When I read that "tough luck" cr*p and knowing the Pats famous Cheapness I'd love for ur scenario to play out...hope that NFC team is the Giants...it would be funny if Pats blow this and Welker comes back and beats you guys-deserved.
    Posted by JintsFan[/QUOTE]

"Pats famous cheapness", that shows your ignorance on the topic right there.

Pats spend to the cap every year, how is that cheap? People have been parroting that, ignorantly, for a decade.

Brady, Wilfork, Mayo, Mankins and Light ALL get big money, should we be the Jets and have some top paid players, then throw garbage on the field everywhere else? And it's likely a WR gets added to that list, whether it's Welker or somebody else.

Welker to the Giants? Because that would be genius to have: Welker, Cruz, Manningham, and Nicks. Or maybe they let Nicks/Manningham go, and have the best slot receiver in the game (Welker) playing next to a very good slot receiver in Cruz. With a QB who's best ability is to close his eyes and heave it deep...yeah, that makes sense.

Tough luck may have been to callous a way to describe it, but his point remains valid: the Pats have a lot of bodies occupying the same area of the field. If the WR/TE corps can lose Welker, but move sideways as a GROUP, and the TEAM can be improved elsewhere (S, LB, DLine), then overall, that's a very positive gain. Sure, in a perfect, non-salary cap world, Welker gets a 5 year deal and retires a Patriot and slides right into Patriot Place. We live in a world ruled by money, not nostalgia (unfortunately).

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

3 years, 18 million, 2 million signing bonus sounds too good to be true, but I'd like to see it happen. I think it'll be closer to 3 years 21- 24 million and we'll see the guy get cut in year three. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

[QUOTE]A HUGE vat of Stickem.
    Posted by tcal2-[/QUOTE]

This ain't gonna cut it...  Just sayin', for a multi-year deal, It'd be a tough sell.  Ya might have to sweeten the pot up a bit.  I'd at least consider a stadium vendor discount too.  But nothin' over 20%...and only the food vendors...but free soft serve...but only Sunday...post-game.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

[QUOTE]3 years, 18 million, 2 million signing bonus sounds too good to be true, but I'd like to see it happen. I think it'll be closer to 3 years 21- 24 million and we'll see the guy get cut in year three. 
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

He turned down like 2 for 18 or something like that why would he do 3 for 18 LOL.