Seymour's Opinion

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronf. Show ronf's posts

Seymour's Opinion

You can’t just have great coaching and no talent. You’ve got to have both. Bill (Belichick) is an extremely smart coach. Extremely (smart) ... but he thinks it’s his schemes all the time. He had players like ’Hot Rod’ (Rodney Harrison [stats]), myself, Ty (Law), Willie (McGinest), (Tedy) Bruschi and (Mike) Vrabel in that system to make it look good.
    “It’s hard to lose all that leadership and place it on young guys. I was 20 when I came to New England. I learned a lot of defensive football there. I was taught what it takes to win by McGinest and those guys. Somebody has to show you".

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Re: Seymour's Opinion

I'd say it's both scheme and player.  I really doubt BB thinks otherwise.  Let's assume Seymour has just a tiny axe to grind...  I mean after all, he was sent to the Raiders...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

We're watching a young team learn what it takes to win football games.  I think that they will eventually learn how to be successful even without guys like Bruschi, Vrabel, and Harrison around given the system in place and the presence of Belichick and Brady (along with Wilfork, Warren, Faulk, Koppen, Mankins, and even Mayo for that matter), but it's not an instant process.  Some guys are also learning how to be leaders.

I think it will work out, but I don't know if it will happen this year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In Response to Seymour's Opinion:
    You can’t just have great coaching and no talent. You’ve got to have both. Bill (Belichick) is an extremely smart coach. Extremely (smart) ... but he thinks it’s his schemes all the time. He had players like ’Hot Rod’ ( Rodney Harrison  [ stats ] ), myself, Ty (Law), Willie (McGinest), (Tedy) Bruschi and (Mike) Vrabel in that system to make it look good. “It’s hard to lose all that leadership and place it on young guys. I was 20 when I came to New England. I learned a lot of defensive football there. I was taught what it takes to win by McGinest and those guys. Somebody has to show you".
    Posted by RonF

He just helped BB out. The talent he is talking about were all in the same situation back in 2001 -- nobody respected them. This is bulleting board material. Of course, the risk is that the current players actually believe they are not talented enough.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

However, as the defense matures by the 4th-5th year in their contract(s), they'll be looking to get paid somewhere else.  Meanwhile, the big bucks spent on offense will be offset; contracts expiring.  In other words, by the time this particular defense decides to come around, will the offense be there to complement it?  In fact, will this defense be good enough?

Esesentially, these "they'll learn" posts are stating that Pats fans shouldn't expect too much from them for the next 2-3 years; takes time.  I wonder if Brady/Moss will still be playing in 2-3?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

Written by a reporter who hates Belichick about a player who has disliked Belichick since 2002.  Why keep Seymour, he wouldn't negotiate, they weren't going to franchise him. Now he's out of the AFC. Vrabel would still be on the team if he had not made the comments about Kraft.  Tedi and Rodney are the players most missed because of the locker room leadership, not necessary their play.

When Borges sees the least little crack he pounces

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman2. Show Patsman2's posts

In Response to Re: Seymour's Opinion:
    Written by a reporter who hates Belichick about a player who has disliked Belichick since 2002.  Why keep Seymour, he wouldn't negotiate, they weren't going to franchise him. Now he's out of the AFC. Vrabel would still be on the team if he had not made the comments about Kraft.  Tedi and Rodney are the players most missed because of the locker room leadership, not necessary their play. When Borges sees the least little crack he pounces
    Posted by NEGAME

They may not like BB but they are spot on.  You don't lose all that talent and leadership and expect a bunch of rookies and 1 and 2 year guys to step in and continue like there was no change.  I can understand turning the team over to get younger but they seemed to do it all at once and at a time where you would want to maximize your chances with the likes of brady and moss on the team. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

Seymore would be hurt by now. I think he is actually. If we kept him he'd be on the bench and next year he'd go off into the sunset for his last contract and we'd have nothing. At least now we get possibly a draft pick that is higher then the pick we used on him. He's just bitter cause he thought he held all the cards and found out that he didn't.

I think theres a lot of leadership still on this team. You cant tell me that Wilfork, Mayo and Merriweather dont show leadership. Personally I think the only guy we shouldnt have traded was Vrabel. I think that Vrables problem was that he was the Union rep on the team and may have caused "management" a few issues. I can't see anyother reason he's gone. Burgess certainly wasn't an upgrade.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

[QUOTE]Seymore would be hurt by now. I think he is actually. If we kept him he'd be on the bench and next year he'd go off into the sunset for his last contract and we'd have nothing. At least now we get possibly a draft pick that is higher then the pick we used on him. He's just bitter cause he thought he held all the cards and found out that he didn't. I think theres a lot of leadership still on this team. You cant tell me that Wilfork, Mayo and Merriweather dont show leadership. Personally I think the only guy we shouldnt have traded was Vrabel. I think that Vrables problem was that he was the Union rep on the team and may have caused "management" a few issues. I can't see anyother reason he's gone. Burgess certainly wasn't an upgrade.
    Posted by Philskiw[/QUOTE]

You gotta be kidding me.   Those guys as leaders.  I dont think so.  What does Mayo know he just got here last year.  Merriweather just starting to get comfortable in this system and if VW was a real leader on this team then we wouldnt be having this conversation.

We all know who were the real leaders of this team.  Harrison and Brusci.  Both are gone.  Seymour wasnt much of a leader.  He was a great player and if you asked me a few weeks ago if I thought he would have made a difference on this team I would have said no, but after seeing this team collapse the past few weeks I really think that his experience plus VW would have been the difference in alot of games.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Seymour's Opinion : They may not like BB but they are spot on.  You don't lose all that talent and leadership and expect a bunch of rookies and 1 and 2 year guys to step in and continue like there was no change.  I can understand turning the team over to get younger but they seemed to do it all at once and at a time where you would want to maximize your chances with the likes of brady and moss on the team. 
    Posted by Patsman2[/QUOTE]

This is the "nail on the head" in my opinion.  This defense was completely rebuild overnight.  Thats tough to do and think you are going to get results.  I believe that they should have been focusing on this back in 2006 rather than stacking the offense.  But thats just me.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to Seymour's Opinion:
    You can’t just have great coaching and no talent. You’ve got to have both. Bill (Belichick) is an extremely smart coach. Extremely (smart) ... but he thinks it’s his schemes all the time. He had players like ’Hot Rod’ ( Rodney Harrison  [ stats ] ), myself, Ty (Law), Willie (McGinest), (Tedy) Bruschi and (Mike) Vrabel in that system to make it look good. “It’s hard to lose all that leadership and place it on young guys. I was 20 when I came to New England. I learned a lot of defensive football there. I was taught what it takes to win by McGinest and those guys. Somebody has to show you".
    Posted by RonF

That sounds like sour grapes to me and all I have ever heard from BB is praise for their players. We have a system that has worked up to this point. Right now we probably need to retool from a player standpoint and a scheming standpoint. I don't disagre with the leadership part but Seymour should stop it at that.Every good player from Ty Law, Milloy, Branch, even Joe Andruzzi has taken a little shot at Belicheck after they weren't retained. They must be pretty hurt.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Marcus1973. Show Marcus1973's posts

I agree with Seymour

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

Well if Thomas and Burgess were "doing their job" the defense would be much better. It's obvious Thomas is having a negative affect on some of the other players. Bet he can't wait to get cut and head to the jets next year.

and Mayo hasn't been the same since his injury, he's probably playing hurt.  Get over it they are gone  If the offense was playing up to their abilities , nobody would be whining about defense. I'm sure Belichick expected to have some time for the defense to develope. Hey Randy get your butt to work and catch some balls or should I say get some balls!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

lol - when someone is not doing well, there are  a LOT of unsolicited advice...

Sounds like sour grapes to me from Seymour...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Benkarkis. Show Benkarkis's posts

I agree with Seymour.

They lost Ted Johnson, Mike Vrabel, Willie McGinest, Tedi Bruschi, and Roman Phifer.

THEY WERE NEVER REPLACED.  They had the chance through the draft.  Instead they signed Thomas, Colvin, Monty Beisel, and Derrick Burgess.

Tully Banta Cain, Gary Guyton, Jerod Mayo, and Thomas are no match for those 5 guys.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Benkarkis. Show Benkarkis's posts

Plus Ty Law and Asante Samuel and Rodney Harrison. 

And you replace them with second tier talent.  That's what happens.

By the way, I do BELIEVE  BB was COACH OF THE YEAR last year.  I love the P's.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Benkarkis. Show Benkarkis's posts

LASTLY;

DUDE

WILFORK is heading out the door after this season.  How much leadership is he providing.  Mayo is 22 years old, give him time.

They got serious issues to address.  You better pray these rookies come through big time next year.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBcheats. Show BBcheats's posts

How can ANYONE think that is sour grapes with the way the stinky swiss cheese defense has played....OF COURSE he is correct!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

[QUOTE]LASTLY; DUDE WILFORK is heading out the door after this season.  How much leadership is he providing.  Mayo is 22 years old, give him time. They got serious issues to address.  You better pray these rookies come through big time next year.
    Posted by Benkarkis[/QUOTE]

Wilfork is not heading out the door, Franchise or pay him big bucks in a no cap year!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBcheats. Show BBcheats's posts

[QUOTE]However, as the defense matures by the 4th-5th year in their contract(s), they'll be looking to get paid somewhere else.  Meanwhile, the big bucks spent on offense will be offset; contracts expiring.  In other words, by the time this particular defense decides to come around, will the offense be there to complement it?  In fact, will this defense be good enough? Esesentially, these "they'll learn" posts are stating that Pats fans shouldn't expect too much from them for the next 2-3 years; takes time.  I wonder if Brady/Moss will still be playing in 2-3?
    Posted by BTownExpress[/QUOTE]

Sure..just not very well...kinda like you got this year!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Benkarkis. Show Benkarkis's posts

I hope you are right.  They don't like the big contracts and Mr. Tom Brady is going to want a big one in 2 years.  And Gostkowski is going to want a big one.

I think ole Vince is heading southbound.  Miami, Tampa, etc

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dshort3333. Show dshort3333's posts

[QUOTE]I agree with Seymour. They lost Ted Johnson, Mike Vrabel, Willie McGinest, Tedi Bruschi, and Roman Phifer. THEY WERE NEVER REPLACED.  They had the chance through the draft.  Instead they signed Thomas, Colvin, Monty Beisel, and Derrick Burgess. Tully Banta Cain, Gary Guyton, Jerod Mayo, and Thomas are no match for those 5 guys.

Yeah ok----Mayo won defensive rookie of the year last year and you say he has no talent? HA ha ha thats stupidly funny.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Seymour's Opinion : Yeah ok----Mayo won defensive rookie of the year last year and you say he has no talent? HA ha ha thats stupidly funny.
    Posted by dshort3333[/QUOTE]

It was also reported that the spirits in the locker room went up when Mayo returned from Injury. What about Seau? Wasn't he brought in for leadership. He sure hasn't played a lot.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

[QUOTE]I hope you are right.  They don't like the big contracts and Mr. Tom Brady is going to want a big one in 2 years.  And Gostkowski is going to want a big one. I think ole Vince is heading southbound.  Miami, Tampa, etc

A big contract for Gostkowski will be 2M a year. The Pats offered Adam V that and he went for 2.5 to indy. Gostkowski is worth 2M a year in my opinion.