Shane Veeren

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bradythebest. Show Bradythebest's posts

Shane Veeren

If Lawfirm is injured, can we see what Shane Vereen can do. I understand lot of gurus are saying, he didn't learn the pass protection. Can he run on first or second down runs, just to get his feet wet! I think we are not giving young guys chances. Other teams involves young rookies and let them play and see what they have. BB doesn't want to involve rookies unless they mastered everything! I know if he did any blunder in the game, that would be detrimental to his progress, but common he has to start some where. Atleast when we are leading and at the end of the game. I like to see him starting next week, when out schedule softens up little bit. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

Re: Shane Veeren

I know he has dressed for about half the games and seen some special teams playing time so he must be healthy at least. It would be interesting to see what he can give the team. I wouldn't mind seeing Ridley get more carries as well. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

We can only hope. A 2nd rounder like Vereen needs to see the field. At the very least, I think he presents a better option at PR than Edelman.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

In Response to Re: Shane Veeren:
    [QUOTE]We can only hope. A 2nd rounder like Vereen needs to see the field. At the very least, I think he presents a better option at PR than Edelman.
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]

He was the third RB taken in the draft last year (Ingram is average over 10 carries a game for the Saints but does not have a good avg. per carry and Ryan Williams got injured in the preseason, but was getting reps with the first-string O) so hopefully he will not be a bust. 

I was under the impression that Vereen was intended to be a third down back anyhow (and that field is crowded with Faulk back and Woodhead). Ridley is more of the every down guy.

Just a reminder, Ingram was taken with what was originally the Pats pick and Vereen was taken with the pick we got (plus the Saints first rounder next year) so the jury is still out on that trade. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Shane Veeren : He was the third RB taken in the draft last year (Ingram is average over 10 carries a game for the Saints but does not have a good avg. per carry and Ryan Williams got injured in the preseason, but was getting reps with the first-string O) so hopefully he will not be a bust.  I was under the impression that Vereen was intended to be a third down back anyhow (and that field is crowded with Faulk back and Woodhead). Ridley is more of the every down guy. Just a reminder, Ingram was taken with what was originally the Pats pick and Vereen was taken with the pick we got (plus the Saints first rounder next year) so the jury is still out on that trade. 
    Posted by FrnkBnhm[/QUOTE]

You do not spend a 2nd round pick on a guy you think is only going to contribute on 3rd down.  I agree the RB's ahead of him haven't done much yet this year.  I agree the jury is still out.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bradythebest. Show Bradythebest's posts

I am not saying Shane Veeren is a bad pick. But Demarco Murray is killing it in Dallas. Not sure if we are not giving rookies chance to prove them until coaches are confident. How can lot of other rookies are performing well on other teams. Ofcourse Nate Solder is exception for us this year!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATinPA. Show PATinPA's posts

Who is Shane Vereen?....LOL

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Terrible draft pick - it was just another wasted pick.  Over the last 5 years, there have been a ton of wasted picks.

He'll be out of football in 2 years.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Seastixholdersince1971. Show Seastixholdersince1971's posts

BEN VEREEN

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

If he can go, Kevin Faulk will be playing all day

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Vareen needs to play, if not then why do we have second round draft choices? This team had some serious holes to fill (which weren't), so this guy had better be awesome. From what I've seen of him he kind of reminds me of the back that Philly used to have (can't remember his name), except not as strong. The thing that I saw during the pre season is that the guy can flat out fly...you give him a screen pass and he's gone...until he hits something...then boom - he goes right down. This guy needs to get strong because man does he go down easy.

Put him out there, we need the speed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Agree. 2nd round players like Vereen with his potential need to see the field more often. If we hadn't planned on using him, we shouldn't have drafted him. I can name at least 20 players we could have taken with that pick that would have upgraded our defense, or gave us a nice receiving option.

RB is supposed to be one of the easiest positions to pick up, and there shouldn't be any playbook reasons, developmental or otherwise. In essence, give the kid the ball and let him run.

For the life of me, I don't understand nor agree with BB's approach here by drafting him high, then not using him except for ST. A complete waste of talent.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

[QUOTE]Vareen needs to play, if not then why do we have second round draft choices? This team had some serious holes to fill (which weren't), so this guy had better be awesome. From what I've seen of him he kind of reminds me of the back that Philly used to have (can't remember his name), except not as strong. The thing that I saw during the pre season is that the guy can flat out fly...you give him a screen pass and he's gone...until he hits something...then boom - he goes right down. This guy needs to get strong because man does he go down easy. Put him out there, we need the speed.
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

thanks mthurl and patslifer as I enjoy both of your comments.

Thurl...was that Wilbert Montgomery with Philly?

Yes, I'd even bet that if Vollmer did'nt go down with a bad back Belichick would still never know that he found a real good one in Solder. Was it his point to draft 2 RBs to just fill-in a need of 2 Older RBs like Taylor and Morris? Vareen should be at least a KR/PR/ST and not put your best WR (Wes) in that position. Give those guys a chance.

Belichick has proved that he is a bad drafter. TWO "complete sets" of DBs, LBs and stretch WRs of TOP Draft picks wasted in recent years, all GONE!
    If He hit on just 30% of those we would NOW have an outstanding D'Backfield, 2 LBs, and 2 legit deep threats. There are still 3-4 top picks remaining that are just filling holes and will be gone also. Very sad.

My heart always picks the Pats but my mind? Not a good feeling now with this current D'Backfield. Hope, is a good thing, maybe the best thing but hope does'nt translate to the field very well.

have a good night all.....Smile

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

I think Vereen got off to a slow start because of a hamstring injury.

Its been nice we have been pretty healthy at RB this year. 

Sure Faulk will play over him now , but at 35 yrs old (???)
    Vereen is the future.

Hopefully we will have some young fresh legs down the stretch and
    into the playoffs.  The weather is going to  change and we will need
    to run the ball. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kjfiton. Show kjfiton's posts

they don't run the football so its unlikely that we will see much of him. Why do they even draft running backs if they don't plan on using them.

if they open up in the shotgun / spread on sunday against the jets it will be a long afternoon. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

My comment on Vereen being a 3rd down back was based on all the draft analysis I remember reading at the time. 

From ESPN's draft coverage:
    • Vereen can catch the ball out of the backfield and be effective on screens and draws but he is not a 20-carry back between the tackles
    Everything pointed to Ridley having the potential to be more of a 20 carry per game back (something that I am not sure if BJGE can handle on an every week basis).

I would like to find out what Vereen can do, but at this point I find it hard to expect much out of a rookie who has yet to see an offensive snap in the regular season.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

I don't like the idea of unveiling Vereen against the Jets and their blitz happy D when Vereen is supposodly having a difficult time picking up blitz blocking! I say bring him out against KC or Philly.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Benkarkis. Show Benkarkis's posts

maybe next year?

go take a look at the second round picks since 2000 and throw up.

Yes there a one or two exceptions.

Just stick to unrestricted free agents.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]I don't like the idea of unveiling Vereen against the Jets and their blitz happy D when Vereen is supposodly having a difficult time picking up blitz blocking! I say bring him out against KC or Philly.
    Posted by jimmytantric[/QUOTE]

Yeah I agree, they won't put him out there against the Jets - on the road - in a prime time game for his first time out there.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

[QUOTE]maybe next year? go take a look at the second round picks since 2000 and throw up. Yes there a one or two exceptions. Just stick to unrestricted free agents.
    Posted by Benkarkis[/QUOTE]

Or better yet, stop the insanity of continuously trading down for more 2nd and 3rd rounders who end up not getting on the field. Try trading up for a stud for once.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from quasi1981. Show quasi1981's posts

[QUOTE]Terrible draft pick - it was just another wasted pick.  Over the last 5 years, there have been a ton of wasted picks. He'll be out of football in 2 years.
    Posted by Schumpeters-Ghost[/QUOTE]

Really?  Have you seen him play?

When and where?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joel63. Show Joel63's posts

Schumpeters-Ghost,

And you know this, how? That was a completely ignorant statement. C'mon now. Sheesh. The kid was hurt early, he's electric with the ball and was drafted where most thought he would be. He had a terrific college career. Couple the fact that he was hurt in camp with the lockout and it's understandable that he hasn't seen the field much. To call the pick a waste and say that he'll be out of the league in two years is at the very least, short sighted thinking. I'm sure glad you're not our GM. Nothing personal, of course.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

After a lockout and a hammy, the kid has had two extra months to learn to pass-block on the scout team.  We may not know how much, but he's progressing.  He may be able to pass-block or at least slip out into the flats, and he has two young legs.  Faulk may be a bit slow from age.  Try Vereen out on one or two plays, probably one zone-blocking play and one run to the sidelines, just to throw the Jets defense for a slight loop.  If Vereen really can't pass-block, just call two running plays and call it a day.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

BB is the complete opposite of Sandusky.