Shane Vereen & Stevan Ridley

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from millergrnv. Show millergrnv's posts

Shane Vereen & Stevan Ridley

Watching some highlights of both Shane Vereen & Stevan Ridley, I'm really high on the two. Shane Vereen has the skill sets of two players that come to my mind and that's Marshall Faulk and Charlie Garner that can make Vereen that one-man (swiss army knife) game changing type back that you could run your entire offense around. Shane Vereen has that shiftyness to evade tacklers, that burst to hit the hole and go, and is a very good receiver out of the backfield. All three of these skill sets is what Marshall Faulk (1994 - 2005) and Charlie Garner (1994 - 2004) had when they played. Anyone that doesn't know who Charlie Garner is, look him up and here is a little taste of how good Garner was: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CixSFswqFtE. Stevan Ridley can be that Kevin Mack/Mike Alstott with a little more shftyness and a little more burst and can also be servicable out of the backfield on pass-plays as well. I'm really excited and can't wait to see these to in action.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Re: Shane Vereen & Stevan Ridley

They may both be good players in time but I think it's a bit unfair to say that Vereen compares to M. Faulk.  I've read it in a few places and nothing like creating expectations that he may no love up to.  Read reports where scouts say he compares to Ray Rice as well.  I hope he has that kind of potential, but I'll temper my expectations a bit. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

I agree with your assessment of Vereen's versatile skill set. Disagree with Ridley's though. Yes he's a power runner with a little shiftyness, but he has hands of stone and has not shown the ability to pass block thus far in camp. Don't see him making a big impact this year for this team.

I have more confiedence in Vereen than Ridley, but they are both rookies in a strike shortened offseason. Give them a year or two before the Faulk/Alstott comparisons.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from millergrnv. Show millergrnv's posts

In Response to Re: Shane Vereen & Stevan Ridley:
    [QUOTE]They may both be good players in time but I think it's a bit unfair to say that Vereen compares to M. Faulk.  I've read it in a few places and nothing like creating expectations that he may no love up to.  Read reports where scouts say he compares to Ray Rice as well.  I hope he has that kind of potential, but I'll temper my expectations a bit. 
    Posted by CablesWyndBairn[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying he's the next Marshall Faulk or Charlie Garner. I'm saying he has the skill sets of the two.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

I'm saying it...Vereen will be to the Patriots what Marshall Faulk was to the rams...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from myaim45. Show myaim45's posts

Well I certainly hope Shane will be as good as Marshall Faulk but he's got a long way to go and it starts with getting on the practice field which he hasn't done. 

As for Ridley, I can see him in more of a sammy morris type role, an up the middle goal line slammer. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Calling Vareen a Marshall Faulk type is a bit of a stretch, don't you think? Faulk had legitimate wide receiver skills (not Brandon Tate, but a good one). This guy could run a route, extend and catch the thing in stride and he'sd be gone. He was smart, could run up the middle and never had to come off the field...ever. I saw him barrel right over Ted Johnson when he played for the Colts and then keep going 5 yards for a touchdown, leveling someone else on the way.

I remember Garner being tall or maybe he was a bit up right...he could flat out fly. I don't remember him being an outstanding receiver or runner, more like a home run guy, who had a couple good years. That sound right? Vareen looks like he can be very versatile, I'd like to see him be more like a Westbrook type of guy... very good all around player that can hurt you in a lot of ways. He's got a similar build. Who knows? I just hope he's not seriously hurt.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

I do not expect Vereen to be All World but I have been saying since before the draft that Vereen will be a very good, very solid feature back with very good pass catching skills. He doesn't have the top gear of the real burners in this league but he is both quick and fast enough to keep the D more honest than they have had to be with the Pats.

Once he has learned the O and if he does not develop a fumbling problem I expect he will generate 1200 to 1300 yards on the ground. He may not get enough touches in his rookie year to do that. I also expect he will be spelled on occassion by a third down back (occassionally, not all the time) and likely by a short yardage back as there is little need to over use him.

If they end up making him a real work horse rather than keeping him fresh so he is also available and healthy for the playoffs then he could, in a healthy year generate 1300 to perhaps maybe 1500 yards in a season.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from beef23. Show beef23's posts

does anyone know how bad vereen is hurt

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mootrack. Show mootrack's posts

He is being placed on season ending IR I heard. Hope what I heard is wrong.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from emiliosCA. Show emiliosCA's posts

In Response to Re: Shane Vereen & Stevan Ridley:
    [QUOTE]He is being placed on season ending IR I heard. Hope what I heard is wrong.
    Posted by mootrack[/QUOTE]

wow, is your wonderful source by any chance some sarcastic post put on a board here? please do share...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RANDIBUS81. Show RANDIBUS81's posts

Yeah I have looked everywhere and I wont belive what i hear intill mike reiss from espn boston says he is out for the year.  I hope he can play this year.