Shaughnessey re: Belichick Press Conference

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobhouse98. Show bobhouse98's posts

Shaughnessey re: Belichick Press Conference

Glad to see Dan gave Bill credit for handling the situation well.

It's my opinion that the Partriots and many pro teams do a pretty good job of setting a code of behavior for their players. But from a practical standpoint owners/coaches can't be held responsible for all players actions.  Hernandez alone is responsible for what he did.

I hope the Patriots will not be discouraged in the future from taking risks on players who come with checkered pasts.  Society in general is better served if a potential problem child is given a chance to straighten himself out. 

Saying it in another way:

1. Is the world better off if Hernandez is snubbed by ALL NFL teams and returns to Bristol, CT to rub elbows with his "choir boy" friends?   OR

2. Is the world better off if some team takes a chance on him and he is able to rub elbows with mentors like Troy Brown. 

I'll take door #2 every time.  

I know, I know it didn't work out this time but I will bet over the last 40-50 years you can cite 100s of examples of troubled college athletes who were saved by their pro careers.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Re: Shaughnessey re: Belichick Press Conference

Good first post Bob. Here's the link to Shaughnessey's video.

http://www.boston.com/sports/video/?bctid=2564143495001&pconnect_name=162791

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Here's Reiss and Borges. http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4745479/video-evaluating-belichicks-comments

They would make a good radio tandem. LOL

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Quick twitter comment.....

Dan Shaughnessy @Dan_Shaughnessy 4m

Maybe we have set the bar too low, but Belichick delivered in a big way today. Just the right tone.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

agree with Dan S on this one, BB was solid today, right on.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"Yet again, takes full accountability for something he's not responsible for. "

He did not take full accountability, nor should he have. He did take responsibility for drafting AH, which he did.

" I almost feel bad for the guy at this point.  He's been strung up for years simply because he doesn't give out info, when it's meant to protect his team and their chances of winning."

This conference had nothing to do with football, so past football conferences and perceptions are not relevant. 

You are correct in general, though he hasn't helped himself in some cases (e.g. "handshakegate"/unnecessary surliness) but he needed to step up to the podium and do this - once. Fortunately he understood that. 

"Best coach and GM of all time. Not close."

He's in the pantheon but he needs a post-Spygate ring to seal the deal. This isn't coming from someone who thinks Spygate made a difference but as a perception thing, it has to happen. Also because those early championship teams had personnnel he inherited. 

I thought he was seriously outcoached in the Ravens loss last playoffs, he admitted as much. This season will speak volumes about his GM abilities. Unlike you, with your hardened narrative, I'm going to wait, and see, and then evaluate. No one is beyond criticism in my world. 

That said today was a good day for Belichick, he handled his business.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to russgriswold's comment:

In response to bobhouse98's comment:

It's my opinion that the Partriots and many pro teams do a pretty good job of setting a code of behavior for their players. But from a practical standpoint owners/coaches can't be held responsible for all players actions.  Hernandez alone is responsible for what he did.

I hope the Patriots will not be discouraged in the future from taking risks on players who come with checkered pasts.  Society in general is better served if a potential problem child is given a chance to straighten himself out. 

1. Is the world better off if Hernandez is snubbed by ALL NFL teams and returns to Bristol, CT to rub elbows with his "choir boy" friends?   OR

2. Is the world better off if some team takes a chance on him and he is able to rub elbows with mentors like Troy Brown. 

I know, I know it didn't work out this time but I will bet over the last 40-50 years you can cite 100s of examples of troubled college athletes who were saved by their pro careers.

If that ROnald McDonald tool used that spot to take a shot, it would have been a disgrace.

Yet again, takes full accountability for something he's not responsible for.   I almost feel bad for the guy at this point.  He's been strung up for years simply because he doesn't give out info, when it's meant to protect his team and their chances of winning.

Best coach and GM of all time. Not close.

Players love him and it's a shame some of our own fans have become brainwashed by the media to blame him for every little thing a turd on the sidewalk or when it rains during a bbq.

They'll still do what all teams do in the scouting process.  Thompkins has an arrest record. As does another rookie Michael Buchanan for a DUI while at Illinois.

The fact is, every team has guys like this.

Yup, all true. BB is amazing, and its only a matter of time for a nut job to show up in an unexpected place. Humans are so unpredictable. OJ, AH, there will be another...........

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

News to Russ...BB is accountable for drafting and extending AH. As is Kraft. If not them then who?

if we lose because TB stinks and our offense is predictable, again on bb. He should have taken your advice and traded TB for Alex smith. We would have won both SBs. 

Back to the facts. Bb's news conference was perfect. Rarely do we get this level of info, question answering or emotion. He appeared human today. I wonder if the content and delivery were influenced by Kraft. This would make sense, almost an apology to the fans, kraft and the team. What ah did is not bb's fault. But he is and should be held accountable for personnel decisions and how the team he built performs. That is the beauty of holding both GM and HC titles.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to russgriswold's comment:

If that ROnald McDonald tool used that spot to take a shot, it would have been a disgrace.

Yet again, takes full accountability for something he's not responsible for.   I almost feel bad for the guy at this point.  He's been strung up for years simply because he doesn't give out info, when it's meant to protect his team and their chances of winning.

Best coach and GM of all time. Not close.

Players love him and it's a shame some of our own fans have become brainwashed by the media to blame him for every little thing a turd on the sidewalk or when it rains during a bbq.

They'll still do what all teams do in the scouting process.  Thompkins has an arrest record. As does another rookie Michael Buchanan for a DUI while at Illinois.

The fact is, every team has guys like this.

Undecided

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Russ, please read my post. I said bb is accountable for drafting and extending Hern..this is football related stuff. I do not think and didn't say he was accountable for herns actions off the field. Impossible to hold any team accountable for a players personal actions away from the field. 

Assuming for a second you are right. That the media holds us to higher levels than other teams. I believe they should. We have been the model organization for over a decade with wins to prove it. Other teams hold us in high regard as well. We should hold ourselves to a higher level as well. I don't see anything suspicious with this. The part that gets conflated is mixing in Hern off the field stuff into player performance while on the field and succeSS.

however, bb said himself that the player evaluation process needs to change, so obviously there is something to this. If 31 other teams passed on Hern, a second round talent at the time, then how did we miss it? Player eval does need to change. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Rocky's comment:

Quick twitter comment.....

Dan Shaughnessy @Dan_Shaughnessy 4m

Maybe we have set the bar too low, but Belichick delivered in a big way today. Just the right tone.

I think BB had a solid presser and actually showed a bit of emotion, which is weird but I have to agree with Shaughnessy. BB said exactly what needed to be said. Lets think about it:

1) Feels sympathy towards Lloyds family

2) He took responsibility for player personal and drafting/extending Hernandez

3) He can't comment on an ongoing investigation (effectively cutting the reporters off at the knees)

4) Because of this incident they will re-evaluate how they look at possible players

Again I found it a great presser by BB but in reality we are so use to getting nothing from him it's like getting a shot glass of water after walking through a desert. This is what should have been expected not really something we should have been excited to get.

I have to admit non of the snorting or clearing of the throat was a shocker and shows how seriously he took this

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Dan still insists that the Patriots' accomplishments during the BB era were "tarnished" by spygate. For this reason, I have no respect for the guy. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

My good friend has been with the Patriot organization since 2001. He doesn't tell and I don't ask. I do know that very few players love BB. They like their chances of getting a ring. Some like him while others despise him. The ring, the ring, the ring. That supersedes any ill feelings towards one of the greatest coaches of our era. Think Packers players all loved Lombardi? Very doubtful.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to GEAUX-TIGRES' comment:

My good friend has been with the Patriot organization since 2001. He doesn't tell and I don't ask. I do know that very few players love BB. They like their chances of getting a ring. Some like him while others despise him. The ring, the ring, the ring. That supersedes any ill feelings towards one of the greatest coaches of our era. Think Packers players all loved Lombardi? Very doubtful.

Who is your friend and what position does he hold within the organization?

I don't think "all" players "love" BB like some proclaim here.  However, I guarantee you all players respect him to the fullest.  His dedication to the team/game, his work ethic, the way he prepares, coaches, respects his players, etc. all warrant the utmost respect.  Players want to win for him.  

Does that mean they don't ever get frustrated with him at practice for nitpicking small techniques?  No.  I bet they can't stand him on the practice field because he is always critiquing.  Hell, the best baseball coach I ever had was an absolute dick on the field because he demanded perfection.  I hated him on the field, but I respected him.  I also loved him off the field.

BB is competitive.  These players are competitive.  I'm sure they butt heads several times throughout the season which might warrant a snarl and a bad word about BB on the practice field and then the media/organization personnel hear it and twist the situation.  That's the way things work.  

Sometimes, it's good to have your players/employees "not love" you.  It brings a respect/intimidation factor that you better get the job done or else.  For some reason here, that seems to have a negative connotation.  I disagree.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

Btw, great first post bob.  You should stick around.