Shawn Crable vs. Burgess

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3812356. Show user_3812356's posts

Shawn Crable vs. Burgess

I think the key to this years defense is the outside linebacker spot, Adalius thomas is obviously a stud, but has injury issues, I think he will be fine this year. Pierre Woods was an excellent fill-in last year, probably outplaying his worth. However, I watched Shawn Crable tear up the big ten at Michigan, Watched him play the first few pre-season games last year, he understands the defense and was in the right place in the right time, without the injury I felt he would of started when Thomas went down, I think the reason the Patriots DON'T go after Burgess or any outside linebacker is because I think Bill thinks Crable is another Vrabel or Colvin type, fast, giant and smart. My prediction is Crable starts game 1 and becomes a force with Jerod Mayo and Thomas, and it is weird calling Bruschi the weak link but age catches up to everyone.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Re: Shawn Crable vs. Burgess

I dont think Crable will beat out Woods for the starting job. Maybe by the end of teh year he gets the job but game one Woods is the starter.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Only time will tell,I happen too think that TBC will be a major contributor and that Woods will see plenty of playing time also,so I really see more of a 3 tier system at the OLB position.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejoshuatree28. Show thejoshuatree28's posts

I agree with MVP, i dont think he starts right off the bat, i think he contributes quite alot, and by the end of the season he probably is starting

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CEHenry3. Show CEHenry3's posts

I agree with the above posting.

Pierre Woods is probably the starter, barring trades and the usual 'circumstances'.

Shawn Crable has an outside shot, however, he simply needs to show that his downtime last year while injured didn't mean he let his mind go to sleep.  If he learned his responsibilities well, and kept himself in shape, odds are he'll get plenty of time to show his stuff.

As for Burgess, I think the Patriots will take the trade if the price is right.  Now that the Raiders have an abundance of DE starters, they're no longer in a position where they can command top returns.  If it's anything higher than a 3rd rd pick, I'd say no way.  I'd even question a 3rd.

Another thought - anybody notice that there's not really been a Vince Redd sighting?  I read someplace (Reiss' Pieces?) that he's said he's not a fan of the weight room.  Not exactly a comment that'll endear you to the coaching staff.  I wouldn't be surprised to find him off the team, unless his work ethic overcomes that.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejoshuatree28. Show thejoshuatree28's posts

I remember reading somewhere that Redd also is probably the best bull rusher out of our LB crop, also i think he is 4th on the depth chart so i doubt he really goes anywhere

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kanuho19. Show kanuho19's posts

WIll pierre wood is the start for this year olb!!!Plus he was behind vrabel:)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ritchie-az. Show Ritchie-az's posts

It will be Thomas and Woods as the starting OLBs. Banta-Cain will be used situationally as a pass-rushing OLB (and, I believe, they are working him at DE in four-man fronts--just something interesting to watch). Crable would fill-in otherwise. Unless there are injuries, I'd think he would get perhaps 20% of the snaps.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonnyCorlione. Show SonnyCorlione's posts

I'm not sold, at all, on Woods.  My lasting image of him right now was his inability to recover a fumble in the SuperBowl.  And if you don't think that would have changed the course of the game check out the replay.  Other than that he hasn't seen the field enough for anyone to evaluate him and I just don't remember a single play he's made.

As far as Crable is concerned; I'm like everyone else.  I like what I saw in the preseason last year and I think his measurables make him an interesting prospect.  We just really don't know right now.

It's just hard, for us as fans, to consider anyone stepping in as adequetly filling the roles from earlier this decade.  The bar is high but at some point there is always going to be turnover.  I'm looking forward to seeing him these guys play in the preseason because the roster is an ever changing collection and there could be movement at any point in the season.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

I'd say Woods over Crable and agree with Banta Cain as rusher. A more interesting question could be who gets considerable playing time at ILB next to the future of the franchise (on D anyway, Mayo). I'd like to see what a healthy Guyton can do. I'd like to know if Crable added some meat to his frame. I don't watch practices or OTAs and thus do not have access to this information. I do remember Woods being the Pats leading tackler in the AFCCG against Indy.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonnyCorlione. Show SonnyCorlione's posts

John - it seems pretty cut and dry it will be Bruschi on 1st down and short yardage and Guyton otherwise. 
    You have to assume Bruschi will be the official starter simply because it's beneficial to put the "heart and soul" on the field to begin a drive and he can also free up Mayo to make plays when he is taking on blockers.  However, I think Guyton will ultimately have more playing time because of the advantages of his youth and speed.
    With that said, I was suprised to see Guyton's measurables.  He's about the same weight as Bruschi but two inches taller.  Coupled with his speed you know you're going to get something good out of that in the long run.  He is definitely the future; possibly becoming the present very soon.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rabbrandy. Show rabbrandy's posts

[QUOTE]WIll pierre wood is the start for this year olb!!!Plus he was behind vrabel:)
    Posted by kanuho19[/QUOTE]

Woods isn't the answer unless he's improved a hell of a lot over the offseason. He's at best a backup. Crable has the potential to make some big plays if he can stay healthy.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kmaxx. Show Kmaxx's posts

A couple of nobodies fighting it out for the all important OLB spot in a 3 - 4 defense.

I can barely contain myself..... Woopie.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ritchie-az. Show Ritchie-az's posts

"A more interesting question could be who gets considerable playing time at ILB next to the future of the franchise (on D anyway, Mayo)."

Guyton 50% of snaps
    Bruschi 30% of snaps

Does Lenon get playing time? He could factor into all of this, but it's hard to know how long it will take him to learn the 3-4 defense, and if he's good enough to beat someone else out of a job. I think it's possible (although unlikely) that he gets the starting job next to Mayo.

"I'm not sold, at all, on Woods. As far as Crable is concerned; I'm like everyone else.  I like what I saw in the preseason last year...."

I think Woods is much more polished and certainly more experienced than Crable. Crable has more "upside" perhaps, but he's yet to do anything in the NFL (I don't recall him standing out last preseason, except for his "skinny legs"). Woods did OK in his limited playing time before he got hurt. But it takes awhile for young OLBs to come around in the Patriots defense, and it sounds like he's matured over the off season. Hopefully that translates to better performance on the field.
    Also, and I know it is really early, but it appears at the OTAs that Woods was ahead of Crable on the depth chart.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Crable is great healthy hungry fighter and Burgess did play Rocky's trainer Mick.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from joe81b. Show joe81b's posts

I say Woods to set the edge on first and second down then Crable brought in to rush the qb on third.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Well Patriots fans we are officially in the dead zone.When we start hemming and hawing about who is going to be the starting OLB/DE and how many minutes each player may get,we have definately hit the wall!!! I never worry about players that we don't have on the roster because if they ain't on the roster all the speculation in the world won't get him any playing time on this team.As for the here and now I would say that both Woods and TBC have the edge over Crable just based on experience in the BB defense!!!! Crable will have to outplay both of these guys before BB will turn the keys to the D over to him.Hopefully Paris Lenon will work his way into the MLB positional fight,he had some very good plays while playing for the Lions though they could have made out of necessity....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonnyCorlione. Show SonnyCorlione's posts

The long term effects of this debate have actually made me realize we're really fine at OLB.  Right now we have AD, Woods, Crable and TBC.  Really only one stud out of the group but the other three have complimentary strengths and know the system.  It's never going to get back to 2003 form (pure dominance) unless we find a diamond in the rough somewhere but I'm confident in what we're looking at.  Just because a guy wasn't drafted in the 1st round doesn't mean he can't play.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ritchie-az. Show Ritchie-az's posts

Sonny, I completely agree. Between Woods, Crable and Banta-Cain, there is enough talent and experience to get the job done. And Bill will scheme to take full advantage of each player's strenghts and minimize weaknesses. However, my one concern is injuries. Hopefully, there are few (if any) at OLB, and should there be any, someone (Crable? Redd?) will take full advantage of the opportunities given.

With a high-powered offense and much improved corners, there will be less pressure on the OLBs to perform. That's not to say they won't perform, but just that less will ride on their shoulders concerning the outcome of games.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejoshuatree28. Show thejoshuatree28's posts

Ritchie, I read on WEEI that crable skinny legs are a thing of the past. The thing with Woods is he is a legit starter, but he doesnt have the big play potential everybody thinks is necessary for a starter, he is consistant but won't blow anybody away. Dont get me wrong, i would love big play potential at every single position, but that is, well, impossible thanks to the salary cap.

I think Crable will push Woods, and maybe displace him as the starter. Just a fun fact out of the DE/OLB crop this year at least at the combine, crable ran faster than all of them

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ritchie-az. Show Ritchie-az's posts

As long as Crable keeps working hard, I think he'll be a starter for the Patriots at some point. But right now it's a little early to say when. He's practically a rookie this year, and it general takes awhile to learn the system and develop the necessary skills to be a consistant contributor. Just my opinion, but I think 2010 will be a break-out year for Crable.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tamayo2431. Show tamayo2431's posts

I think the OLB position is a bit overrated. I mean, how many times did that dirt bag Joey Porter get his sacks running untouched and unblocked freely to the QB? It all depends on the play call. Often times, a blitzing player goes unblocked and "unabated" (not sure thats the spelling) to the QB. I think we will be fine. Belichick will exploit his personel's strengths. We just need to blitz a little more and now with out revamped secondary, recievers wont be open so easily, so the pass rush has time to reach the QB.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

[QUOTE]I think the key to this years defense is the outside linebacker spot, Adalius thomas is obviously a stud, but has injury issues, I think he will be fine this year. Pierre Woods was an excellent fill-in last year, probably outplaying his worth. However, I watched Shawn Crable tear up the big ten at Michigan, Watched him play the first few pre-season games last year, he understands the defense and was in the right place in the right time, without the injury I felt he would of started when Thomas went down, I think the reason the Patriots DON'T go after Burgess or any outside linebacker is because I think Bill thinks Crable is another Vrabel or Colvin type, fast, giant and smart. My prediction is Crable starts game 1 and becomes a force with Jerod Mayo and Thomas, and it is weird calling Bruschi the weak link but age catches up to everyone.
    Posted by 12isGOD[/QUOTE]

I agree that we have to let these guys play and see what they can do. Crable has the potential to be a beast, but you know what Yogi said about potential. ("all potential means is the you haven't done shyte yet").

But there's one problem with making a group of career backups and injury prone LBs our 2009 starters that no-one seems to be recognizing. What happens when, not if, when, the injuries start piling up? LB is probably the most physcially punishing position on the field. Every play comes with the chance of a starter going out for the rest of the year.

When last years backups are this year's starters, who's going to back them up? We have no depth at all at the LB position.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Woods gets 60% of the snaps, including on first and ten.

Crable gets 30% of the snaps, especially on third and long.  He might work his way up to 50% by the end of the year, even if injuries don't hit.

Adalius Thomas gets 80% of the snaps.  He gets a play off sometimes, keep him fresh for the fourth quarter.

10% of the time, four or five big uglies crowd the line on third and 1, second and 2, and one linebacker has to go.

Burgess is not needed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonnyCorlione. Show SonnyCorlione's posts

Tamayo - I'm not quite sure how to address that other than to say we had no QB pressure last year and it killed us on D.  The best defenses have marquee pass rushers. 

I agree, there are a lot of instances of OLB's picking up sacks when they weren't accounted for in the blocking scheme - therefore almost anybody could theoretically have picked it up.  However, just consider OLB vs. NT.  If our NT's goal is to tie up blockers, along with the defensive ends, somebody has to be aggressively going after the QB.  It might not be as vital in a 4-3 where the linebackers don’t blitz too often but it is essential that we have someone closing in on the pocket from the outside.