Shawn Springs Released

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from blazed21. Show blazed21's posts

Shawn Springs Released

Patriots announce the release of CB Shawn Springs

Sources:
    http://www.patriots.com/news/index.cfm?ac=generalnewsdetail&pid=42983
    http://twitter.com/realpatriots

Discuss?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFantasyBaron. Show TheFantasyBaron's posts

Re: Shawn Springs Released

How desperate were the Pats last year to sign a CB? Things sure do change awful fast. Unless he retires I bet he gets picked up before Adalius Thomas.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

Too much $$ for a guy that won't play.....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from datdude401. Show datdude401's posts

In Response to Re: Shawn Springs Released:
    Too much $$ for a guy that won't play.....
    Posted by m1021us

Wow, for once we agrere.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from datdude401. Show datdude401's posts

*agree

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Well it's all about needing to sign Mankins and Brady,there's only so much money to go around and they have Bodden and the safeties are all signed,so they just need one of these guys to step up Butler,Wheatley,Wilhite or the rookie McCourty. At any rate thnx for the memories Shawn Springs..

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

I didnt see this coming, could they be freeing up money for a big time signing like Logan Mankins?
    Posted by MVPKilla2009

Or signing the rookies......

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjaycee. Show jjaycee's posts

Getting younger but thinner again in the D backfield.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Doesn't surprise me at all.  It was quite a big salary to pay to a #4 CB.  At this point he's behind Bodden, Butler, and McCourty, and would be competing w/ Wheatley and Wilhite for the #4 spot.  At that point, I'm comfortable with Wilhite and his lower salary.  They can use this money elsewhere...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Does this mean we shouldn't have signed him?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from boomerst3. Show boomerst3's posts

hey are not getting thinner there.  They have plenty now

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from boomerst3. Show boomerst3's posts

they are not getting thinner there.  They have plenty now

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

Thinking CB situation this year Bodden and Butler starting this year, with #3 McCourty, #4 Wilhite, and #5 Wheatley

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Supernova13. Show Supernova13's posts

Does this mean we shouldn't have signed him?
    Posted by mthurl

I think it was an OK signing. They sort of used him as a stopgap until Butler emerged. He was just too much money. 

I am a little surprised they did not keep him till training camp where he could have helped out McCourty. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

coukld move save the money for a late pick up

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

I'm just guessing but this may also be speaking about the chemistry and leadership issues the team had last year.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Well Wilhite is not good enough to be a number 1 or 2 CB heck not even a #3 but he is deffently good enough to play the #4 CB spot so there was no room for Springs.
    Posted by MVPKilla2009

Wilhite is not good enough to play #5 CB.  It doesn't matter who he's covering, the receiver will make the catch every time.  Maybe in training camp he will finally learn how to swat the ball away but the Wilhite of last year is not good enough to play on any NFL defense.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

He didn't play as well as they were hoping but he was a stop gap measure while they tried to develop the younger corners. 

It's probably Butler's job now. 

You guys better eat your words if Wilhite develops into a decent corner. He's going through what EVERY new corner goes through with only a very few exceptions. I remember Samuel getting toasted many times when he started out. In fact he was nothing more than a mediocre corner for the first 1/2 of his career. I'm not giving up on the guy yet. He may not be a starting corner but should be able to improve and contribute. 

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejoshuatree28. Show thejoshuatree28's posts

He didn't play as well as they were hoping but he was a stop gap measure while they tried to develop the younger corners.  It's probably Butler's job now.  You guys better eat your words if Wilhite develops into a decent corner. He's going through what EVERY new corner goes through with only a very few exceptions. I remember Samuel getting toasted many times when he started out. In fact he was nothing more than a mediocre corner for the first 1/2 of his career. I'm not giving up on the guy yet. He may not be a starting corner but should be able to improve and contribute. 
    Posted by Macrawn

Samuels still isnt that great, he just has a good looking stat line

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

In Response to Re: Shawn Springs Released : Guys that play that well that only are going to make 2 million this year don't get cut in a year with no cap. Some kind of agreement between the owners? Are you suggesting collusion?  That is a federal crime. What is your source?   Settled the secondary down?  You mean the one that gave up the 10th most points in the NFL?  By the way, here's what BB got from Springs for his one year of service getting $4.55 million, 12 games, 39 tackles, one interception and four passes defended.  Good purchase.  Amazing, that was Springs best year in the NFL.
    Posted by bjesuss

I know you only have a New York education, but the Pats gave up the 5th least points last year. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

Did Russ just float another conspiracy?  We might need a tally sheet to keep up.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Payment84. Show Payment84's posts

Check this out...

By Mike Reiss
    One aspect of the release of veteran cornerback Shawn Springs that was not covered here yesterday, and came to light in the Boston Globe today, is Springs' health.

Springs told the Globe that he underwent knee surgery in January and that he was healthy enough to participate in the team's organized team activities next week.

However, Springs failed the team's physical, according to a league source, which might have been a factor in his release.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mountainmonkey. Show mountainmonkey's posts

He didn't play as well as they were hoping but he was a stop gap measure while they tried to develop the younger corners.  It's probably Butler's job now.  You guys better eat your words if Wilhite develops into a decent corner. He's going through what EVERY new corner goes through with only a very few exceptions. I remember Samuel getting toasted many times when he started out. In fact he was nothing more than a mediocre corner for the first 1/2 of his career. I'm not giving up on the guy yet. He may not be a starting corner but should be able to improve and contribute. 
    Posted by Macrawn
    this is thoughtful and well said...and this could apply to Wheatley as well..another off season to learn the system , get healthy, and see if the light goes on for these two players...I think it might...