Should the NFL adopt a DL like baseball?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

Should the NFL adopt a DL like baseball?

Do you think the NFL should adopt a 15 day disabled list so you can replace a player with out droping the player for the whole season? Of course this would require expanding the roster or practice squad.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Re: Should the NFL adopt a DL like baseball?

In Response to Should the NFL adopt a DL like baseball?:
    [QUOTE]Do you think the NFL should adopt a 15 day disabled list so you can replace a player with out droping the player for the whole season? Of course this would require expanding the roster or practice squad.
    Posted by Philskiw[/QUOTE]

With the owners looking at extending the season to 18 games I think it likely they will need to consider doing something along these lines. Perhaps a 3, 6 or 9 game list?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

YES. And great thread topic, by the by. I think especially given the relative shortness of rosters vis-a-vis the violence of the sport it would make sense.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

If the NFL is truly going to 18 games, I cannot see how they could do it without expanding the rosters or allowing teams to stash players on something other than the practice squad.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

My guess is the owners don't want it because it would mean bigger, more expensive rosters

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE]Do you think the NFL should adopt a 15 day disabled list so you can replace a player with out droping the player for the whole season? Of course this would require expanding the roster or practice squad.

I think the 18 game season, which seems inevitable, will bring about roster expansion.  The PA will demand it if they're going to agree to more games.  I don't know about a DL though.  They sort of already have it.  In baseball there is a 40 man roster and you can't add a player to the 25 man roster if he's not on the 40 man roster.  In the NFL there is a 53 man roster and 45 man active roster, so if they just expand those numbers, I'm not sure what having a DL would mean?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

It would give them the flexibility to  augment the roster by signing someone without losing a player for a whole season. Hypothetically, they could put Warren on the "DL" sign someone, then cut that person. The PUP and inactive only takes someone off the active roster, but they can't really be replaced. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

When I'm unsure how to vote, But I hear zbellino saying emphatically that it's a good or Bad Idea, I almost assuredly side with zb~...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In Response to Re: Should the NFL adopt a DL like baseball?:
    [QUOTE]It would give them the flexibility to  augment the roster by signing someone without losing a player for a whole season. Hypothetically, they could put Warren on the "DL" sign someone, then cut that person. The PUP and inactive only takes someone off the active roster, but they can't really be replaced. 
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

Not saying it couldn't work, but there's a limit to the flexibility even in baseball.  If you add a guy to replace a player who goes on the DL, the added player needs to be on the 40 man roster.  And all those 40 players are drawing a salary either on a major league or minor league contract.  So if there's a DL in football, there would need to be the equivalent of a 40 man roster.  Say there's a 60 man roster, all those players would need to be paid, and I would guess the PA would want them to be paid at a "major league" level, since there are no minor leagues in football obviously.  I think it's one of those things where the devil is in the details.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I don't understand the reasoning behind the current rules.  Why is it Wilfork can't come back after he's healthy.  Why couldn't they put him on the PUP that lets him come back after week 6.  My understanding is he would have had to start camp on that list so now he can't be on it.  Doesn't make much sense to me. 

I know that part of that reason is so players can't be stored on an injury list and essentially redshirted but they could just hire a doctor for the NFL to verify the players. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

Tuesday Morning Quarterback used to run an item called "Free the inactive seven!" which was basically about letting the coach have all 54 guys available to play.  That would be a step in the right direction, too.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

That would be great for teams like the Patriots because they could stash players on the DL,teams like Detroit wouldn't fair so well...