Should the owners kick Goodell to the curb?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Should the owners kick Goodell to the curb?

The man is reviled by most fanbases throughout the league.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from leonardo0110. Show leonardo0110's posts

Re: Should the owners kick Goodell to the curb?

Who would you rather have? are the options better than what it's already in place?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

Can we have Paul tagliabue back please???

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In Response to Re: Should the owners kick Goodell to the curb?:
    [QUOTE]Who would you rather have? are the options better than what it's already in place?
    Posted by leonardo0110[/QUOTE]

I would take anybody not tied to NY.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tmot1234. Show tmot1234's posts

Pretty sure he just got extended for almost a decade. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stommpper. Show Stommpper's posts

The NFL is a business, it will always be run by the puppet masters just like every other business.
    At this time they are behind the scenes trying to spread the NFL as a world wide product much like soccer.

Dont be fooled into thinking this is ever going to change just because you get a new face as the so called Commish!

Business is business, if you dont get that then we take you to the back room and beat it into you!
     Capiche!!!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Goodell is going to get the NFL sued again and again for medical negligence.  That's the real reason owners will can him, when they get the bills. 

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2012. Show Evil2012's posts

Has it been six months since there was a should owners fire Goodell thread?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxvsGiants. Show RedSoxvsGiants's posts

I cant stand the limp wristed New York lawyer.  I am very happy that I am not alone.  The guy is an arrogant egotistical bumbling fool.  He is slowly destroying the game I love.  Hmmm I wonder what Belichecks' opinion of him is.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

the man is only the GREATEST commish in the history of the game... lets see when he came in there were about 80 arrest of nfl playas. i remember the national felon league jokes as the brand could not grow. now it s the most successful sports brand, everyone is rich from the playas to the owners and goody has cut crime by plays by over 75% to only 16 incidents per year. i would love to have a guy like this running my biz. owners love him! perhaps the players will kick him out or some politician.. as a faan, i love the guy!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Should the owners kick Goodell to the curb? : Goodell is a pu**y and he is sitting in his Ivory Tower, out of touch with the average fan, turning ther game into arena ball at times
    Posted by JintsFan[/QUOTE]yep what a horrible game he's created. perhaps we should be blessed with a clueless dufus like gary bettman! hear nothing, see nothing, do nothing... have all the stars out with concussions in clutching and grab fests only purists can watch. goody lets the players eat their peas and oatmeal. you guys want them to have ice cream  and butter for breakfast. the man is the most succcessful commish going. he is the STANDARD! YEP LETS HAVE THE BASEBALL MODEL? WHO ARE THEY copying? david stern? ditto!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]the man is only the GREATEST commish in the history of the game... lets see when he came in there were about 80 arrest of nfl playas. i remember the national felon league jokes as the brand could not grow. now it s the most successful sports brand, everyone is rich from the playas to the owners and goody has cut crime by plays by over 75% to only 16 incidents per year. i would love to have a guy like this running my biz. owners love him! perhaps the players will kick him out or some politician.. as a faan, i love the guy!
    Posted by COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN[/QUOTE]

You attribute this to Goodell? You are a wack job.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

I still don't understand why so many people dislike Goodell.

Would we rather see this turn into the NBA? That's where it was headed.

Can anyone provide me with a poor decision they feel he has made? Keep in mind that the competition committee makes most on-field changes, and everything is voted on anyway. It's not like he just decides things and the league abides by his word.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]I still don't understand why so many people dislike Goodell. Would we rather see this turn into the NBA? That's where it was headed. Can anyone provide me with a poor decision they feel he has made? Keep in mind that the competition committee makes most on-field changes, and everything is voted on anyway. It's not like he just decides things and the league abides by his word.
    Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE]

It's rather easy to understand why Pats' fans would dislike Goodell.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Plluto29. Show Plluto29's posts

Goodell is holding teams and players accountable.  The fact that players dislike him is more a reflection of their bad behaviour in waiting than anything he has done.  Why the fans are upset with him is totally mystifying.  What has Goodell done to justify any fan hatred?  He doesn't make the on-field rules changes, he doesn't set stadium/ticket prices, he doesn't make good/bad decisions in drafting players.  He does however mete out punishment to players/teams who break the rules. Someone needs to be the diciplinarian and he seems to be even-handed in his decisions.  I'd rather have that than some committee approach where every decision is watered-down and basically becomes a useless means of enforcing discipline on players/teams.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Should the owners kick Goodell to the curb? : It's rather easy to understand why Pats' fans would dislike Goodell.
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]

Have never particuarly liked Goodell, but!!!!

He has told people to stop doing things that
    are bad for the NFL - when people continue to
    do bad things and then either don't tell the truth or
    decide not to come clean - then Goodell lowers the boom
    and hard.

I agree with that. I agreed with his punishment on Spygate
    - just because the Pats didn't stop - I do think a lot of it was
    pushed by ESPN /NYers, but the Pats didnt follow the rules.
    And it looked liek someone spit in his face
    Cannot have that

Here you have the commsioner stopping something to protect the
    players. and what does the union do? They back the players-
    even after the management team got the same punishment.

These players are too big, too strong and too fast not to someday cause
    a death. A concsussion is just one step away from death.
    Some of these players are out of control - Harrison being one of them
    Suh being another and that cb who got the Houston wr in afight
    too mention a just a few.

Goodell is doing the right thing

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Goodell to do list
    -Make knuckle heads and their actions accountable-check
    -Work on rule changes to make the game safer for the players-check
    -Forge a long term working relationship with the players union-check
    -Forge a lucrative long term relationship with the media-check
    -Be a policeman for owners who cannot help themselves to include salary ceiling and basement, cheating, contract manipulation, etc-check

Hard to see where the guy does not rate as an outstanding Commish 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Should the owners kick Goodell to the curb? : It's rather easy to understand why Pats' fans would dislike Goodell.

Spygate, presumably? And what, please share, was so unfair about that punishment?

The Pats were caught red handed doing something the NFL had said not to do, and just sent out a reminder detailing to not do EXACTLY what the Pats were doing.

BB thought he found a loophole, and he did not. They were punished accordingly.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3323437

Kraft and BB apologized, why do some fans still think they did NO wrong? The punishment was as harsh as it needed to be to guarantee it would not happen again. Just as with the Bounties. Think anyone will risk a 3-16 game suspension for an extra few thousand when they make MILLIONS! Idiots.

Vick deserved all of the 2 years he was banned.

Rapelisthburger deserved all 6 games when he didn't even do a second of jail time.

Had he been Commish when Ray Lewis went through all he did, I imagine he'd have been suspended too, as he should have been. If nothing else, just to send the message about making good deisions, which to Ray's credit, he has done since anyway.

I LOVE basketball, but am sickened by the NBA to the point that I cannot even watch because of the total lack of accountability for everyone not named "Metta".

In a decade or so, I honestly think this will be looked at as a time of harsh penalties to get the ship pointed in the right direction. The entire game will be FAR better off because someone like Goodell is running things.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

The man may go down in history as the best commissioner ever.  While you revile his punishment of those who wish to succeed without consideration for rules, he is effectively dealing with what may be the most difficult issue in sports history. 

The NFL is currenty at the top of its game in popularity.  When you reach the top there is only one way to go.  The goal of those at the top is to remain there as long as possible. 

But no other sport (as far as I know) faces such a significant challenge from surprisingly inside its own confines.  Former players (some who may have legitimate beefs and others who are just looking for gold pieces from the NFL treasure chest) are suing the league for allowing them to play a game they voluntarily chose to play. 

On the other side Goodell is being chastised by current players and even team management for rules designed to keep current players healthier - obviously so they won't also sue when their time and/or money appear to be running out. 

These are incredibly difficult waters to navigate while attempting to keep the game as the biggest draw in American sports. 

The owners get it.  They may wish that the commissioner didn't feel the need to employ penalties as he has, but they have invested hundreds of millions of dollars in their teams.  They don't want that investment lost.  They want it to grow.  It can't grow if the players that are paid millions by them are able to effectively sue for more money after their playing days are done and they've blown their money on bad investments and living large. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Should the owners kick Goodell to the curb? : You attribute this to Goodell? You are a wack job.

The above was a FIRST response to a fellow poster (bold included by me, not in original). Added Value? More like Where's Waldo...

Babe: I never insult anyone
    The World: yes you do
    Babe: No, only when all else has failed do I insult them
    The World: Really Babe? Really?
    Babe: Yes you stupid fools. Only when they ignore all logic

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

As to logic Babe is unassailable in this particular post in suggesting that Pats fans should decide who the commissioner is.

Some previous posts suggest that fans in general should tell the owners who they should hire. Not exactly free enterprise though it is an example of freedom of speech.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Should the owners kick Goodell to the curb? : Spygate, presumably? And what, please share, was so unfair about that punishment? The Pats were caught red handed doing something the NFL had said not to do, and just sent out a reminder detailing to not do EXACTLY what the Pats were doing. BB thought he found a loophole, and he did not. They were punished accordingly. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3323437 Kraft and BB apologized, why do some fans still think they did NO wrong? The punishment was as harsh as it needed to be to guarantee it would not happen again. Just as with the Bounties. Think anyone will risk a 3-16 game suspension for an extra few thousand when they make MILLIONS! Idiots. Vick deserved all of the 2 years he was banned. Rapelisthburger deserved all 6 games when he didn't even do a second of jail time. Had he been Commish when Ray Lewis went through all he did, I imagine he'd have been suspended too, as he should have been. If nothing else, just to send the message about making good deisions, which to Ray's credit, he has done since anyway. I LOVE basketball, but am sickened by the NBA to the point that I cannot even watch because of the total lack of accountability for everyone not named "Metta". In a decade or so, I honestly think this will be looked at as a time of harsh penalties to get the ship pointed in the right direction. The entire game will be FAR better off because someone like Goodell is running things.
    Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE]

I agree with you on a lot of this ma6.  I think ol' Goody is a bit of a silver spoon stuffed shirt, but some of the initiatives he's pushing (player safety, enforcing penalties for bad behavior or rules infractions) have helped to clean up the NFL.  As a Pats fan, I may not agree with the overly-harsh penalty levied against BB and the Pats over "spygate", but I understand that setting a precedent and being consistent are two things that are important to maintaining control of the league. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Unfortunately, only the punishments get the light of day.

Seldom do we hear about the cards every NFL player is given that Goodell started. What cards? Oh, a little card with an 800-number that any player can call from any location at ANY time, and the NFL will send a car to pick them up and bring them home/to their hotel.

And;

"In April 2007, following a year of significant scandal surrounding some NFL players' actions off-the-field, Goodell announced a new NFL Personal Conduct Policy."

Anyone think that was a bad idea? Or any unfair suspensions to the people it has effected? Stallworth, Pacman twice, Tank Johnson, the late Chris Henry, Suh, Vick or Rapelisthburger?

I, for one, never had a problem with the fines to Harrison and meriweather that got so much press either. That Meriweather hit was one of the most disgusting things I've ever seen in a Pats uniform, enjoy your DUI proceedings you clown.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

I said no and it wasn't a slam dunk decission. I like that he is trying to keep the league from becoming lawless and that he holds players and organizations to a high level of integrity. My only issue and it is a big one for me is the way he handles those issues. I believe if a player or organization wanted to they could sue and win but it would tear appart the league. So, the fact that what he is accomplishing is in the best interest of the NFL outweighs the methods used to deliver it.