Should the Pats Pay Wifork Haynesworth $$?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

Should the Pats Pay Wifork Haynesworth $$?

I'm a big Wilfork fan, but the question is will or should the Pats pony up big time for Vince Wilfork?  The Haynesworth contract changes the game for the Pats and I'm not sure the Pats are going to want to spend this much on one player.  As unpopular as topic as this is, if Wilfork holds out should the Pats trade him?  Picks alone would not be good enough, players would certainly have to be involved.

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Re: Should the Pats Pay Wifork Haynesworth $$?

not a chance. Albert H. does not deserve Albert H. money.

I like Wilfork. I honestly can't tell how Wilfork is any better than Washington from a few years back.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

As we all know the Pats do things on their terms, not the players terms. 

I'm sure the Pats realize that Wilfork is one the best NT's in the league (if not the best).  We all seen what happened when Asante left here.  The Pats defense can't afford to lose another 'playmaker' on defense.   

I believe that Wilfork is in there plans and things will get worked out.   I have a feeling they are still waiting for those talks about that 'uncapped' year (collective bargaining agreement) to get settled as well.  Once these sort of things shake out, then they will take care of Wilfork under the Pats terms....certainely not Haynesworth $$.

GO PATS!
    (Great to see #12 out there again!)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

[QUOTE]As we all know the Pats do things on their terms, not the players terms.  I'm sure the Pats realize that Wilfork is one the best NT's in the league (if not the best).  We all seen what happened when Asante left here.  The Pats defense can't afford to lose another 'playmaker' on defense.    I believe that Wilfork is in there plans and things will get worked out.   I have a feeling they are still waiting for those talks about that 'uncapped' year (collective bargaining agreement) to get settled as well.  Once these sort of things shake out, then they will take care of Wilfork under the Pats terms....certainely not Haynesworth $$. GO PATS! (Great to see #12 out there again!)
    Posted by NOISE[/QUOTE]

Well Wilfork is 27 years old and this is essentially the final time in his career for him to negotiate a mega contract.  Even if it's not exactly Haynes worth money, it should be close.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Question is.... will Wilfork pull an AS and be greedy, only wanting to "get paid" or will he want to stay with the Pats and get a contract he feels is fair?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Well Wilfork is 27 years old and this is essentially the final time in his career for him to negotiate a mega contract. 

RESPONSE: True.

Even if it's not exactly Haynes worth money, it should be close.

RESPONSE: Not no...but hell no. What Haynesworth got was an abberation. If Vince wants anything near that kind of money, the Pats should send him packing. Who knows...maybe his agent is already asking for that kind of money? Could that have been the real reason why the Pats traded up to get NT Ron Brace?
    Posted by Grogan77[/QUOTE]

The Pats hold the cards at this point in negotiations. The uncertainty of an agreement with the Players Union may be a major reason why the Pats are reluctant to open negotiations with Vince now. Perhaps the Pats will do what they did with Richard Seymour, and give Vince a bit of a good faith raise for this season. But, if Vince wants to hold out, let him spin his wheels on the sidelines. He's a very good player...but not a great player.

That said, under no circumstances can the Pats let him go through free agency. The Dolphins or Broncos will likely overpay to get him. Perhaps the Pats will choose to trade him this year, to, say, Denver, for a #1 pick (the one acquired from the Chicago Bears in the Cutler trade), plus.   

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

If they do decide to trade Wilfork they won't get as much back as you think unless they let that other team negotiate an extension with him up front.  Why would any team pay a premium for someone who is entering the last yr of his contract and is going to be tough to re-sign.  Why do you think there weren't more suitors for Cassell????

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

No one is worth what Snyder paid Haynesworth and the only way a number like that becomes "market value" is if some other bonehead owner pays a similar contract. Wilfork is an anchor on that defense and the Pats should be reasonable in their attempt to retain him, but Bill is right. If he's got the Asante mindset, he will be gone.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsChowder. Show PatsChowder's posts

[QUOTE]Question is.... will Wilfork pull an AS and be greedy, only wanting to "get paid" or will he want to stay with the Pats and get a contract he feels is fair?
    Posted by agcsbill[/QUOTE]

Pulling an AS? I'm sorry, I just don't get why we criticize these players for holding out for more money. We praise veterans that have already made money in the leauge for taking a pay cut for a chance to win, so why do we chastise those wo have already won for trying to hit with a major contract?

I'd love to see Wilfork in a Patriots uniform for a long LONG time, and to answer the question, I don't think any DT is worth the Haynesworth money. But, I'm not going to criticize Wilfork for holding out. Like it was said earlier, this is his one shot at a mega deal.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]If they do decide to trade Wilfork they won't get as much back as you think unless they let that other team negotiate an extension with him up front.  Why would any team pay a premium for someone who is entering the last yr of his contract and is going to be tough to re-sign.  Why do you think there weren't more suitors for Cassell????
    Posted by siestafiesta[/QUOTE]

If the Pats do decide to trade him, it will likely be a sign and trade deal...wher e the Pats sign him to an extension after securing an agreement with another team on a trade.

I agree with your point about other teams not paying a premium for somebody in their last year of their contract. But, Denver badly needs a NT. Their #1 draft pick acquired from the Bears in the Cutler deal will be fairly expensive to sign. Plus, how likely is it that a player of Vince's caliber would be available to them? Furthermore, theres' pressure on Josh McDaniels and the Broncos' franchise to  win now after the Cutler trade...in order to blunt the criticism heaped upon the team by media and fans, alike.

So...why not trade the #1 pick to get Vince (provided that theres' a contract extension in place)?    

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

He does not want that kind of money so we dont require that kind of contract. He just wants a fair deal thats all and we just dont have the cap room to give him the contract he deserves and thats all that it comes down to. We will get a deal done at some point.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]Pulling an AS? I'm sorry, I just don't get why we criticize these players for holding out for more money . We praise veterans that have already made money in the leauge for taking a pay cut for a chance to win, so why do we chastise those wo have already won for trying to hit with a major contract? I'd love to see Wilfork in a Patriots uniform for a long LONG time, and to answer the question, I don't think any DT is worth the Haynesworth money. But, I'm not going to criticize Wilfork for holding out. Like it was said earlier, this is his one shot at a mega deal.
    Posted by PatsChowder[/QUOTE]

I agree.

BTW - I like your blog. Just started looking at it today, but it looks pretty good so far. I was introduced to stampede blue this AM researching the coaching retirement plan changes and, while it isn't saying much, it totally beats SB. I guess NE will always be better than Indy.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

[QUOTE]No one is worth what Snyder paid Haynesworth and the only way a number like that becomes "market value" is if some other bonehead owner pays a similar contract. Wilfork is an anchor on that defense and the Pats should be reasonable in their attempt to retain him, but Bill is right. If he's got the Asante mindset, he will be gone.
    Posted by prairiemike[/QUOTE]

I also agree Haynesworth is not worth Haynesworth $$, but some owners(enough of them) will grossly overpay certain players.  Top NT are right at the top of toughest positions to fill.  If other teams hint to Wilfork' agent(they do it) that he could get Haynesworth money, then you better believe Wilfork will hold out for a major payday.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

[QUOTE]     The Pats hold the cards at this point in negotiations. The uncertainty of an agreement with the Players Union may be a major reason why the Pats are reluctant to open negotiations with Vince now. Perhaps the Pats will do what they did with Richard Seymour, and give Vince a bit of a good faith raise for this season. But, if Vince wants to hold out, let him spin his wheels on the sidelines. He's a very good player...but not a great player.      That said, under no circumstances can the Pats let him go through free agency. The Dolphins or Broncos will likely overpay to get him. Perhaps the Pats will choose to trade him this year, to, say, Denver, for a #1 pick (the one acquired from the Chicago Bears in the Cutler trade), plus.   
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE] 

Tex, a #1 pick would be a starting point in my book, the Pats would need some quality players as well to make up for a big void left by Wilfork.  Because relying on a rookie like Brace would be a huge risk.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjxg. Show mjxg's posts

Wilfork already said he's not looking for AH money, and that he wants to get a deal done with the Pats to stay here for the rest of his career (if possible). so there's really one thing stopping the negotiations right now:

uncapped season

I hope Wilfork understands that he can wait until the decisions are made with that, and then the Pats will act on either 1) getting him a new contract, or 2) waiting until they can make moves in the uncapped season and really give him something decent.

he deserves the money, i'm sure the Pats will be willing to pay, it's just a matter of understanding the situation and getting through it without getting pissy.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LenDaleUSC06. Show LenDaleUSC06's posts

[QUOTE]     If the Pats do decide to trade him, it will likely be a sign and trade deal...wher e the Pats sign him to an extension after securing an agreement with another team on a trade.      I agree with your point about other teams not paying a premium for somebody in their last year of their contract. But, Denver badly needs a NT. Their #1 draft pick acquired from the Bears in the Cutler deal will be fairly expensive to sign. Plus, how likely is it that a player of Vince's caliber would be available to them? Furthermore, theres' pressure on Josh McDaniels and the Broncos' franchise to  win now after the Cutler trade...in order to blunt the criticism heaped upon the team by media and fans, alike.      So...why not trade the #1 pick to get Vince (provided that theres' a contract extension in place)?    
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

Isn't it funny players & agents who have been in the Patriots system especially the best ones wait until the end of their rookie contract (last yr. before franchising can occur) & hold-out or threaten to in-order to get something done before the team holds all the leverage & can then just franchise the player for the next 2 yrs., Asante couldn't b/c he was injured the yr. before he had his break-out yr in his final yr. & then the Pats franchised him & he forced them to say they wouldn't re-franchise him if he set the perf. standards.  But, Seymour who was in the last yr. of his orig. deal held-out & was given a few extra Million his last yr & then the next contract began after the yr.  One of the best things the Pats & Eagles do well is just add on contract yrs to the current deal, but outside of 3 or 4 players in the Pats syst. everyone else is paid @ or below mkt. value.  Hopefully, the Pats get a deal done w/Wilfork for 6yrs 36Mil w/approx. 20-24 Mil guaranteed?  Then, they could possibly franchise Logan Mankins LG next yr.  The real question will be what to do w/R.Seymour after this season??  I don't know if Jarvis Green, Ty Warren, & Wilfork would be enough for our defense.  If Seymour is gone our depth @ DE is gone & who would we have to replace him that would have to come in next yr's draft. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kmaxx. Show Kmaxx's posts

No.  I must be blind because I don't see him as being anything special.  I watch every snap of every game and nothing stands out except the Three Stooges eye poke and going after the Bills QB's Leg.  That's all, that I remember, that stands out to me about his career to date.