Slater has shown up this Preseason

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronf. Show ronf's posts

Slater has shown up this Preseason

You know, I pretty much wrote this guy off but he's back on the radar screen. You can kind of tell when a guy starts to "Get it". He's hustling, playing hard and surprisingly he's holding on to those deep balls being thrown to him. The kid has speed. We knew that early on but could he ever make the jump from special teams to the last WR spot. I didn't think so but know he's starting to change my mind and at the expense of a guy like Tate! Slater is playing with some desperation and I for one like that.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Re: Slater has shown up this Preseason

Bye Bye Tate!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

Maybe he might get more playing time on the offense this season

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from McFEETers. Show McFEETers's posts

hes better than aiken- remember that guy

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Agreed on Slater.  Tate has not looked good as a WR or KR tonight. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Slater has outplayed Tate at the WR position this preseason. I also think Slater is more valuable as a ST player than Tate. Therefore, Tate is expendable.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEforever. Show NEforever's posts

slate has made some good hits on ST

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PeaceLaur. Show PeaceLaur's posts

I agree with those saying Slater is a better bet to make the roster than Tate. He is a stud on special teams -- and his value there holds true this year as he will continue to cover a lot of punts and some kickoffs. Meanwhile, Tate's return skills have lost value with the new kickoff rules.

Also, Slater has made some pretty nice catches in the preseason. He'll still be near/at the bottom of the WR depth chart, but he has made improvements over the past couple of years.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Slater has actually made himself into a functional WR,he already was a very solid Gunner on ST's. Tate will be on another roster by Sunday.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

Slater always seems to be the first guy down field as a gunner on ST as well.

If he is serviceable at WR, CB and S, he may be around for a while

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Yeah, he was always a guy I could always nearly forget he was even on the team.  He has shown up this year; more than just ST.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

A lot of fans have questioned Slater's presence on the team the past few seasons. But I think you're seeing why BB has kept him around.  He's always been an excellent special teams player (one of the best in the league, really). He's also apparently smart enough to play both offense and defense  . . . BB really loves versatile, smart, hard-working guys like that.  Plus he has very good speed, so there's underlying athletic ability that can be put to good use.  I'm not sure he'll ever be a great receiver or a great DB, but he's a very serviceable back up in a pinch who is also a great coverage guy on special teams.  I hope they can find room for him on the roster again. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

slater definately makes team over tate... not sure tate gets cut but he did not look good last night... supposed to be fast and got blown away on the fake punt...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

It's funny, every year I take a look at Slater before pre-season games and say, "this is the year another ST gunner that will play a larger role on either the O or D will dislodge Slater" and every year Slater stuns me with his play and makes the team. He's a regular Izzo this one

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from batou. Show batou's posts

Slater was great on S/T last night.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

I think Slater was always a lock because of his special teams  play...but now he may actually get more playing time at Wr.  He can also play safety and has made more plays this preseason than Tate and Edleman combined.  I would keep Underwood and see what you can get for tate or edleman or cut them..

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

i like what underwood brings and i don't think he would clear waivers to make it to the PS. endleman is a player who i wish saw more action, because he has performed quite well in welkers absence.  these cuts are going to be hard to make and i know many teams are salivating at the opportunity to sign some of the players we let go.  there is no way we would be able to keep branch, welker, ocho, price, slater, tate, endelman, and underwood.  probably 2 of these guys have to go right now i am leaning towards tate and trading endelman for a late round pick. tough decisions for bb in the next few days. but i guess it is a good problem to have.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ron-Burgandy. Show Ron-Burgandy's posts

He reminds of Troy Brown in some ways. Maybe he is the type it will take 4-5 yrs to be a more accomplished receiver and then gradually become a dependable possesion receiver. He proably does not have the talent to catch 100 passes like Troy Brown but the other aspects of the game he has similarity's. Special teams, return game, etc... I could see him lining up at safety like Brown at some point as well. If I recall Brown was cut and was a later roster spot type of guy his first years. I know it is a stretch but I see some improvements from him this year.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

Slater is definately stepped his game this off season. Tate didn't look that great but I have no idea if he'll make the team or not,but I think Slater,Farnarm and farawiktiki(I have no idea who to spell his name) all have looked better than Tate.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

In Response to Re: Slater has shown up this Preseason:
    [QUOTE]I admit I questioned it, but he looks more comfortable as a #6 type WR now, so great. I am just not sure we need more than 2 gunners taking up roster spots.  He's definitely one of them and he's earned it. Speaking of Slater, I am a little concerned of the overall Special Teams units.  Maybe it's just preseason rust, but they look weak overall in coverage.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

I agree about the special teams play, it could, and I hope, it will be better.  The PATS have not been good at the field position game for several years.  As for Slater good for him.  Bill loves these kinds of guys, versatile players who "get it" and love to play the game.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I too was skeptical of Slater's ability beyond S/T but, if it comes down to it, Slater stays, Tate goes.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

The thinig about Slater is he works hard and although has an akward build is actually faster than Tate on the field.  matter of fact I dont see the speed w/Tate that he is supposed to have. Price looks much faster and Tate didnt do much w/his oppurtunities on offense and special teams....He took a kick off out from 8 yards deep and made it to the 10 yard line....that sealed his fate, Imo

meanwhile Slater is now making plays downfield and if he busts loose, he is Gone.  Very happy for Slater...He may be playing safety midseason if we catch inuries there...so def. a keeper...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

This guy played like a stud this pre-season on ST. He's 100% on this team. As for being a reciever it's nice to know he's there if someone goes down. He's the guy backs forget is on the field like last night.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

He maybe the fastest guy on our team as well. 

Remember Reiss would always say he looked like the fastest player during practice.