Slingbox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from sheldong. Show sheldong's posts

Slingbox

This is a thank you post to the person who mentioned Slingbox in my thread about sports bars in central Florida.

I bought a box ($200) and have it in my son's house in Billerica.  So far, I have watched all three games on that network.

He has ridiculously fast upload speed, and I capture it on my laptop.  I use an HDMI cable ($4) between the laptop and my 56inch TV. 

The picture isn't HD by any means, but it is certainly watchable and after the first few minutes you forget about it not being HD.  Having a nice, comfortable chair to watch it and also having the only TV sound being that of the the Pats game sure beats being in a sports bar.  (The beer is also cheaper).  So, for a one time expenditure of a little over $200 I have a device that I can use year after year to see all the Pats games.

So, to the person who suggested it, THANK YOU.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Re: Slingbox

wfdog is the guy who suggested it to you.  I'm also a user of SlingBox and have recommended it often.  I have Sunday Ticket, but use SlingBox when I travel to Europe in the summer so I can watch US TV.  It works like a charm.

I think DirecTV's new web/mobile offering makes the SlingBox a little less necessary, but it's also nice to simply be able to watch local coverage and news.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sheldong. Show sheldong's posts

In Response to Re: Slingbox:
    [QUOTE]wfdog is the guy who suggested it to you.  I'm also a user of SlingBox and have recommended it often.  I have Sunday Ticket, but use SlingBox when I travel to Europe in the summer so I can watch US TV.  It works like a charm. I think DirecTV's new web/mobile offering makes the SlingBox a little less necessary, but it's also nice to simply be able to watch local coverage and news.
    Posted by carawaydj[/QUOTE]

First, thanks wfdog.

Now, to get that web offering don't you first have to have Directv?  Also, don't you also have to have Sunday Ticket before you can get that add-on.  Directv is more expensive than Dish, poorer customer service, and offers nothing extra besides being the only one with Sunday Ticket (which is $$$$$$$$).  That was why I left Directv in the first place.

I only use the slingbox for the games.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from laynard. Show laynard's posts

You can only get the online Sunday Ticket if you can't get Directv service because it's not available in your area or the dish can't face the right way (my problem in my apt.) and if you don't have satellite tv already. If you have cable you can get it, if you have Dish you can't. I was going to shell out the $350 until I found I could watch the games online for free from several different streaming websites. The quality is ok, certainly watchable, and it's free.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sheldong. Show sheldong's posts

[QUOTE]You can only get the online Sunday Ticket if you can't get Directv service because it's not available in your area or the dish can't face the right way (my problem in my apt.) and if you don't have satellite tv already. If you have cable you can get it, if you have Dish you can't. I was going to shell out the $350 until I found I could watch the games online for free from several different streaming websites. The quality is ok, certainly watchable, and it's free.
    Posted by laynard[/QUOTE]

I went to one of those sites and it had multiple downloads and my anti-virus warned me about a Trojan Horse in at least one of them.  That is why I aborted that idea and went for the slingbox.  Also, since it it completely legal, there will be no cutout in the middle of a game as sometimes has happened on those free ones.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from flutie66. Show flutie66's posts

In Response to Slingbox:
    [QUOTE]This is a thank you post to the person who mentioned Slingbox in my thread about sports bars in central Florida. I bought a box ($200) and have it in my son's house in Billerica.  So far, I have watched all three games on that network. He has ridiculously fast upload speed, and I capture it on my laptop.  I use an HDMI cable ($4) between the laptop and my 56inch TV.  The picture isn't HD by any means, but it is certainly watchable and after the first few minutes you forget about it not being HD.  Having a nice, comfortable chair to watch it and also having the only TV sound being that of the the Pats game sure beats being in a sports bar.  (The beer is also cheaper).  So, for a one time expenditure of a little over $200 I have a device that I can use year after year to see all the Pats games. So, to the person who suggested it, THANK YOU.
    Posted by sheldong[/QUOTE]

they have an HD model too, thats what ill be getting to put in my parents house in mass.  i think its $100 more, but its worth it

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Anyone know when DirecTv's contract is up with NFL Sunday Ticket?  That is literally the only thing I miss about having once had DTV.  Can't get line of sight now, and FiOS is great, but living in the NY area means I don't get many Pats games.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dafoe. Show dafoe's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Slingbox : I went to one of those sites and it had multiple downloads and my anti-v0irus warned me about a Trojan Horse in at least one of them.  That is why I aborted that idea and went for the slingbox.  Also, since it it completely legal, there will be no cutout in the middle of a game as sometimes has happened on those free ones.
    Posted by sheldong[/QUOTE]

I'm glad you like the slingbox so much. But there is no point in scaring people with misinformation. You are starting to sound like a shill

First of all, it is possible to download all NFL games in HD quality- usually the same day that they air. These are called torrent sites. And they are free and illegal. While you may find a trojan or a virus on a public torrent site, it is not the norm.

Secondly, there are sites like channelsurfing.net which is completely free and has all the games every Sunday and Monday in addition to other things. The quality is average to good. The videos are streaming- so you need a decent internet connection. It is completely legal, virus free, and the streams rarely "cutout"

Again, I'm glad you like the Slingbox, but it is obsolete. Why pay money for something I can get for free? That's why I got rid of Sunday Ticket. I'm sorry. I just don't get it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]Anyone know when DirecTv's contract is up with NFL Sunday Ticket?  That is literally the only thing I miss about having once had DTV.  Can't get line of sight now, and FiOS is great, but living in the NY area means I don't get many Pats games.
    Posted by soups[/QUOTE]

Part of the current contract is to have a web-based feed in place by 2012, though. DTV has started with Sunday Ticket To-Go which costs $350. When you sign up, you are asked if the owner won't let you get DTV at your address. As the owner, I responded "Yes."

I had it for one week. The medium (their terminology) bandwidth feed was fine except for the resolution. It looked to be less than standard resolution, but I might not be the best judge. I have had HD for a while now so anything less looks bad. 

I tried the high bandwidth feed (I get 30 Mb/sec through FiOS) and the picture was sharp, but the rendering was horrible. As soon as any fast motion started, the feed got too much data and stuttered. Of course, this means the feed would pause at the beginning of the play, freeze with the data overload and then continue once everyone was walking back to the huddle. That stunk.

I got my money back. 

I expect that as it was likely a data compression issue and they should be able to figure it out (Perhaps they could check with successful services like Netflix or MLB), but I didn't want to spend the $ on a feed I can get off the web.

Here is the link if you want to check it out:

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Slingbox : 2014. Part of the current contract is to have a web-based feed in place by 2012, though. DTV has started with Sunday Ticket To-Go which costs $350. When you sign up, you are asked if the owner won't let you get DTV at your address. As the owner, I responded "Yes." I had it for one week. The medium (their terminology) bandwidth feed was fine except for the resolution. It looked to be less than standard resolution, but I might not be the best judge. I have had HD for a while now so anything less looks bad.  I tried the high bandwidth feed (I get 30 Mb/sec through FiOS) and the picture was sharp, but the rendering was horrible. As soon as any fast motion started, the feed got too much data and stuttered. Of course, this means the feed would pause at the beginning of the play, freeze with the data overload and then continue once everyone was walking back to the huddle. That stunk. I got my money back.  I expect that as it was likely a data compression issue and they should be able to figure it out (Perhaps they could check with successful services like Netflix or MLB), but I didn't want to spend the $ on a feed I can get off the web. Here is the link if you want to check it out: http://www.directv.com:80/DTVAPP/content/nflstonline/overview
    Posted by EnochRoot[/QUOTE]

Enoch---thanks so much!  This is really helpful.

Wow.  2014.  My plan is to move back to NE before that, I guess.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dafoe. Show dafoe's posts

Not available in the U.S.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

I tried gamepass earlier this season but was told it's not available in the US.

Just checked the site again and it says the same.  Sounds like a great service; wish I could do this.