Smith for a 5th

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking111. Show Harleyroadking111's posts

Smith for a 5th

BB working his magic, traded Smith for a 5th rounder which in all likelihood be dealt to to Oakland.  GO PATS!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Re: Smith for a 5th

Make that one year of Smith for a fifth.  He becomes a free agent afterward. 

What with all the new defensive linemen marching in from this year's draft:  Pryor got a sack last game, and Brace stuffed a third-and-1, somebody has to go by September 5.  So, BB is having a yard sale.  It beats dumping the players out on the street for trash pickers.

What is Smith worth?  He has little present here, what with promising rookies, and he has even less future.  He hasn't evolved into that much. 

For McDaniels, he's desperate to switch to the 3-4 right now, and there just aren't a lot of big bodies floating around. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking111. Show Harleyroadking111's posts

The big thing with this is saving the 3rd rounder with Oakland if I understand the Burgess deal correctly.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjxg. Show mjxg's posts

4th rounder, but yes.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from patpscyho. Show patpscyho's posts

In Response to Re: Smith for a 5th:
    [QUOTE]The big thing with this is saving the 3rd rounder with Oakland if I understand the Burgess deal correctly.
    Posted by Harleyroadking111[/QUOTE]

It's now a 3rd and 5th, instead of a 3rd and 4th. That was the condition of the trade, if the Pats managed to acquire a 5th round pick, they could substitute that for the 4th.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

All of which tells me that Watson may not be dealt and the Pats go with four tight ends.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2.. Show Tcal2.'s posts

BB is the master.  He turns a throw away player into a chip that can be dealt to Oakland thus saving us a 4th round pick.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

[QUOTE]The big thing with this is saving the 3rd rounder with Oakland if I understand the Burgess deal correctly.
    Posted by Harleyroadking111[/QUOTE]Clarification on the trade for Burgess was a 3rd and a 5th if they didn't have a 5th then it would have become a 4th round pick,so thats what this trade was all about a body and a 7th rd.pick for a fifth rd pick which will be sent to Oakland in return for Burgess.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Looking at the Patriots Defense with Warren, Wilfork, Seymour, Brace, Pryor, and Wright  making up the top 6 Dlinemen Smith was not going to see playing time unless a couple injuries occured.  Especially when you figure Burgess is a Hybrid DE/OLB and the same could be said about Tully Banta Cain, Adaleious Thomas and Jarvis Green.
    So to get a 5th for a player you are going to release in a couple weeks anyway is just Belichick being Belichick... he and the front office are always looking to maximize what they have and even what they have that they don't need. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

Smith was a young guy that wasn't going to see many chances here...now he could be a regular.  Good for him, and good luck.  Seems like a win-win.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

And here's a drinking question:  Will the day ever come when BB trades a Bruschi for a 5th?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Paul K, no, he will retire a Patriot

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking111. Show Harleyroadking111's posts

[QUOTE]And here's a drinking question:  Will the day ever come when BB trades a Bruschi for a 5th?
    Posted by Paul_K[/QUOTE]

Not gonna happen. I believe this is Tedys' last year and he will retire a Patriot. He is a Patriot hall of famer and a borderline NFL HOFer. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

[QUOTE]All of which tells me that Watson may not be dealt and the Pats go with four tight ends.
    Posted by Caesar1177[/QUOTE]

Wrong Smith.  This was the D-Line Smith, not the TE Smith.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tartarus12. Show tartarus12's posts

If we add it all up it was. A 3rd, 5th, 7th and Le Kevin Smith for Burgess. It seems a tad steep.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

[QUOTE]If we add it all up it was. A 3rd, 5th, 7th and Le Kevin Smith for Burgess. It seems a tad steep.
    Posted by tartarus12[/QUOTE]
    Close. It's actually 3rd, 7th, and Le Kevin Smith for Burgess.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Smith for a 5th : Wrong Smith.  This was the D-Line Smith, not the TE Smith.
    Posted by m1020us[/QUOTE]

I know that. But the guy everyone thought would be trade bait for the 5th to give back to Oakland was Watson. The fact that they kept him and traded LeKevin leads me to believe that the Pats will keep Watson after all and go with four tight ends.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tartarus12. Show tartarus12's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Smith for a 5th : Close. It's actually 3rd, 7th, and Le Kevin Smith for Burgess.
    Posted by KyleCleric2[/QUOTE]
    I beg to differ. Oakland is getting our 3rd and Denvers 5th for Burgess. Plus We lose Le Kevin and a 7th. All we gain is the origional 4th round pick. I believe my origional assertion is correct.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from cheeseymole. Show cheeseymole's posts

I don't understand why some people are down on this. Clear a roster spot for a better player AND "obtain" a 4th rounder (since oakland now gets the 5th).

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

tartarus, the Pats only gave up a 3rd, a 7th and LeKevin Smith for Burgess....as Kyle pointed out.