So are we going to be a 3-4 defense or a 4-3 defense this year?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbfan12. Show tbfan12's posts

So are we going to be a 3-4 defense or a 4-3 defense this year?

Which 7 man front will the Patriots play primarily?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ehop14. Show Ehop14's posts

Re: So are we going to be a 3-4 defense or a 4-3 defense this year?

I think we make the switch to 4-3 this season. Woods, Mayo, and Thomas as the LBs, Burgess and Warren as the DEs, and Wilfork and Seymour inside. Could still use the 3-4 if another ILB develops.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_439198. Show user_439198's posts

4-3 is harder to go now as we have more DT than DE.
    IN a 3-4 we play 3 DT on the field .Even green is a more of passrushing DT than a 270-290 lb light fast DE you need .Burgess was 1 a few yrs back

So the problem is pass rush will be slower so in order to get some pass rush speed at DE you are forced to play AD as 1 end and banta/burgess at other. Now with any combination you got 2 of Seymour,warran ,vince ,brace and wright.all good DT sitting in the bench. Also we need 3 ILB and that will be weak too as mayo,guyton and woods with crable , lenon ,paris in rotation.

3-4 is the best ,as we can have 3 DT in there with 2 more on the bench in rotation.Also,AD ,mayo ,guyton,woods give a better  LB .

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejoshuatree28. Show thejoshuatree28's posts

I agree with Msatz are team is still built with the 3-4 in mind depth of ILB regardless I'm not a huge fan of Woods but he is a solid OLB in the 3-4, and Thomas and Mayo and Guyton would solidfy the other spots, Banta Cain could start too, he did for us last time he was here and he did all right. ILB is a little weaker now with Bruschi's retierment, but perhaps they can pick someone up off the waiver wires.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from justme2. Show justme2's posts

The simple answer as it has been since BB got here is   "YES"... Yes we are..

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mjxg. Show mjxg's posts

I think the preseason was a great way to see how the players can adapt to different roles in a 4-3. It's a good look to see what we can do during the season to switch it up on a team.

I think we'll primarily stay in the base 3-4, and throw in some interesting 4-3 looks depending on what BB deems necessary to take out the opponent of the week.

Whatever defense we're in, I think there is a lot of focus on getting to the QB this year. So whatever gives us that look is probably going to be executed on gameday.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonnyCorlione. Show SonnyCorlione's posts

In Response to Re: So are we going to be a 3-4 defense or a 4-3 defense this year?:
    [QUOTE]4-3 is harder to go now as we have more DT than DE. IN a 3-4 we play 3 DT on the field .Even green is a more of passrushing DT than a 270-290 lb light fast DE you need . Burgess was 1 a few yrs back So the problem is pass rush will be slower so in order to get some pass rush speed at DE you are forced to play AD as 1 end and banta/burgess at other. Now with any combination you got 2 of Seymour,warran ,vince ,brace and wright.all good DT sitting in the bench. Also we need 3 ILB and that will be weak too as mayo,guyton and woods with crable , lenon ,paris in rotation. 3-4 is the best ,as we can have 3 DT in there with 2 more on the bench in rotation.Also,AD ,mayo ,guyton,woods give a better  LB .
    Posted by msatz76[/QUOTE]

Completely agree with what you say here and was actually replying to a similar comment I made on another thread just prior to this.  Despite our mutual feeling on Green I think they could still use him as a Defensive End if they lined up this way:

5DE: AD, Green
    1NT: Wilfork, Brace
    3DT: Seymour, Warren,
    7DE: Burgess, TBC

Green could actually be the #1 guy here with Thomas as a Sam on the same side.  The only issue is that once Thomas is taken off the line you get back into the issue of Tackles playing end as I suspect they would liberally alternate Warren & Seymour at end to get them on the field.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In Response to Re: So are we going to be a 3-4 defense or a 4-3 defense this year?:
    [QUOTE]I think we make the switch to 4-3 this season. Woods, Mayo, and Thomas as the LBs, Burgess and Warren as the DEs, and Wilfork and Seymour inside. Could still use the 3-4 if another ILB develops.
    Posted by Ehop14[/QUOTE] 

With Guyton,Green,Brace seeing good playing time off the bench, I agree that is a solid front 7 although BB will play 4-3 3-4 all season as he does every season