So, Did BB........or Didn't He?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

So, Did BB........or Didn't He?

" It appears that Bill Belichick may have resisted his fondness for Ed Reed and went with his football instincts by letting him go elsewhere on Thursday, after Comcast Sports New England reported that the team never even contacted him.  Obviously the guy that Belichick admired years ago isn’t that same player now, and with the early promise shown by Duron Harmon over the last couple of games, it appears he’s sticking with the potential shown by the rookie while Steve Gregory continues to recover.  It’s disappointing to see Reed end up in New York, but considering the fact Reed played under Rex Ryan in Baltimore, the move isn’t exactly surprising.  Fortunately unless the Jets reach the postseason, these two teams are at least done for this year so there won’t be any drama from that front moving forward"

http://www.patsfans.com/ian/blog/2013/11/15/morning-huddle-1115/#.Uods9MQ3s7w

Misinformation is alive and well? Just like on this board sometimes.....lol

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Re: So, Did BB........or Didn't He?

I think it is as simple as they looked at film of him this year and most likely decided his injuries and age have caught up with him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I never got a report saying Pats made contact, but I've not been following sports this week much.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

The misinformation could have come from Reed's camp

"FOXBORO — Ed Reedcleared waivers yesterday. No real surprise there. Now for the waiting game to see what happens with the veteran safety.

By the end of the day, there seemed to be three leading choices for Reed. One option was retirement. A second hadRex Ryan and the Jets in the running. Another prevalent view had him coming to the Patriots.

So will the Pats ultimately win out?

One source with ties to Reed was leaning in that direction early in the day. When asked about the chances of the nine-time Pro Bowler landing with the Pats, the source said: ‘‘My guess is he goes there.’’"

http://bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/new_england_patriots/2013/11/source_says_patriots_in_play_for_ed_reed

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Reed said it himself, he has played in the Jets system his whole career. To come to New England and learn a new system with 7 games left in the season (and probably in his career) doesn't make much sense, for anybody.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

One report countering another report and Belichick declining comment.  Reed says "patriots contacted him" but probly wasn't BB.

Doesn't matter.  No way BB would have signed him without a thorough workout and physical.  

The thread should be  "Did he or didn't he........  Reed have to work out for the Jets....??"  Appeared to me  Rex just got the hots for signing him before New England got him, and didn't even work him out.   Reporters said he wasn't running full speed at practice...  damaged goods.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

One report countering another report and Belichick declining comment.  Reed says "patriots contacted him" but probly wasn't BB.

Doesn't matter.  No way BB would have signed him without a thorough workout and physical.  

The thread should be  "Did he or didn't he........  Reed have to work out for the Jets....??"  Appeared to me  Rex just got the hots for signing him before New England got him, and didn't even work him out.   Reporters said he wasn't running full speed at practice...  damaged goods.

[/QUOTE]

3 hip procedures in 4 years, most likely needs surgery on his neck and at 35 I think most of the tread is off the tires. First ballot HOF'er... his time is most likely up. 

Hey, perhaps he makes a play or 2 to help the jets but I don't think he would have been a fit here.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

3 hip procedures in 4 years, most likely needs surgery on his neck and at 35 I think most of the tread is off the tires. First ballot HOF'er... his time is most likely up. 

Hey, perhaps he makes a play or 2 to help the jets but I don't think he would have been a fit here.

[/QUOTE]

It's definitely a huge unknown.  Reed is not stupid .  He knows his body is beat up.  Question is ( and he probly doesn't even know) whether it will heal and let him play at full speed...  But in the meantime lets collect a paycheck and keep the illusion going...

Should be interesting to watch and kind of sad.  Since you know hes going to try and push it to perform well , but more than likely will go down in a heap of pain after reaggravating whatever injury hes battling at the moment.   Either that or he'll jog around avoiding all contact like patrick chung.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Reed said it himself, he has played in the Jets system his whole career. To come to New England and learn a new system with 7 games left in the season (and probably in his career) doesn't make much sense, for anybody.

[/QUOTE]

^ This

Good post Muz, most people dismiss how much a system can have an adverse effect on a player.  Joey Galloway and Chad Johnson are two players who still had some tread left on their tires who couldn't help us at all because the system escaped them entirely.  There are also many Patriot's players who leave and never do anything in the league afterward because they fit into this system and wouldn't work as well elsewhere, Kyle Arrington playing slot for us looks great, on other teams he would be at the bottom of the depth chart.

Another side of this that many are not acknowledging is that Duron Harmon, the player nobody but BB wanted, is pretty good, hopefully learning a lot from Gregory and getting better.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

It really doesn't matter whether they talked or not because he has a bad hip and it was obvious that he didn't have a full 60 minutes of quality FS left in him. BB probably gave him a courtesy call like we all would do if we were calling an old girlfriend...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

BB did not see a player who was healthy enough to make an impact to benefit the Pats.  That, IMHO, plus some intel from the Texans management, may be the reason no contact was made.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

^ This

Good post Muz, most people dismiss how much a system can have an adverse effect on a player.  Joey Galloway and Chad Johnson are two players who still had some tread left on their tires who couldn't help us at all because the system escaped them entirely.  There are also many Patriot's players who leave and never do anything in the league afterward because they fit into this system and wouldn't work as well elsewhere, Kyle Arrington playing slot for us looks great, on other teams he would be at the bottom of the depth chart.

Another side of this that many are not acknowledging is that Duron Harmon, the player nobody but BB wanted, is pretty good, hopefully learning a lot from Gregory and getting better.

[/QUOTE]

Talib joined the Patriots with about 8 games left in the season. Did Talib come from a system that was similar to BBs?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I doubt BB contacted him.  BB got some scouting pictures and they pretty much confirmed Ed Reed is old, can't move well anymore and should is prett much retired at this point of his career.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think it is as simple as they looked at film of him this year and most likely decided his injuries and age have caught up with him.

[/QUOTE]

Anyone with a half way decent eye could see that just from watching games. Unless you are out to make a splash to get fans excited or were in desperate need of a FS he was only a name at this point for people on a board to drool over. He was cheating a lot (by cheating I mean using his experience to guess where he should go and leaning that way) at the end of last year because his physical capabilities were in decline. Looking at his play so far this year it was clear even his experience wasn't enough to overcome his declining physical ability. Then again, I said the same thing of A. Wilson and they signed him anyways. Maybe, after making the A. Wilson mistake they saw the comparison and decided it would have been another bad signing at this point in his career even if some were convinced of weed waiting or it's why we saved cap space for such signings.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:
    [QUOTE]

1. No question an inquiry was made.

2. Reed wants to play FS and start. Wasn't happening here.

3. BB passed based on the conversation with Reed.

With Harmon emerging, even though Rkrap's crap analysis on Harmon is so wrong, BB didn't want to bring in a guy who wasn't sold on playing some SS parts and who might not like the amount of snaps.

Reed showed his ego last week subtly taking a jab at fill in coach Wade Phillips using him less in their loss to Arizona, so BB is playing it safe.

It was always going to be about what Ed Reed wanted;  a ring or to satisfy that ego

[/QUOTE]

YOu think it was a convo about him starting and not his overall health...?   How would BB know whether to start him or not until he has seen him perform in practice...?  That's hardly the issue at that point...  BB or a rep of the team invited Reed for a workout,, most likely.

Jets signed him without any concerns about his health apparently.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I have it on good account Reed was contacted by one person from the Pats, Vince. No one from Pats management or coaching staff contacted him is the official word from the PAts.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It really doesn't matter whether they talked or not because he has a bad hip and it was obvious that he didn't have a full 60 minutes of quality FS left in him. BB probably gave him a courtesy call like we all would do if we were calling an old girlfriend...

[/QUOTE]

Well, I get your point but speaking for myself, I've never given a courtesy call to an old girlfriend. Not even sure how that would ever come up?

"Hey, just thought I'd let you know I'm banging this new girl, really hot.  Thought about hooking up with you again, but you know, you're not as young as you used to be what with your hip and all, and this one can go for a full 60 minutes...so anyway, hope you're doing OK, bye, bye."

Like that?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

But will he still be this years Junior Seau?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think that's crap.  Reed is one of the most intelligent players around and BB would tailor the plays to Reed when Reed would be used.

Reed said that because he wouldn't be starting here, while Ryan promised Reed starter time in NY.

There is no system to complex are an unknown to Ed Reed.  He's as plug and play a player as you'll ever find in this league.

Rex RYan claimed Houston used him wrong, which is a crock, especially since Ryan contradicted himself by saying "try to throw on Ed deep as our Safety".  Ok, thanks.   QBs are licking their chops.  Houston should have realized his hip and leg surgeries would compromise his range when they overpaid him this offseason, so NY is apparently planning on mis-casting him as well.

The only way Reed's flaws woud be hidden now is to keep him in the box in a more traditional SS position.  Keep him in on RBs as a spy in less space, TEs, blitzing, some stunts, etc.  Ask him to use his instincts closer to the line.  

He's too far gone, so to speak. He thinks he's still the Ed Reed of yesteryear when everyone knows the hip says he's not.

[/QUOTE]

Where is the link to back up your claim that Rex promised Reed that he would be starting?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Weedwaiting.    Heard it all now

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I doubt BB contacted him.  BB got some scouting pictures and they pretty much confirmed Ed Reed is old, can't move well anymore and should is prett much retired at this point of his career.

[/QUOTE]

LMAO!

"You hear that Elizabeth?  I'm comin' to join you honey." - Fred Sanford

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I have it on good account Reed was contacted by one person from the Pats, Vince. No one from Pats management or coaching staff contacted him is the official word from the PAts.

[/QUOTE]

No way that no one knows anything in that Pats locker room. Reed said he was contacted by NE.  He's not lying. He was.

The official word from the Pats means nothing. They don't share with you or I what they do behind the scenes.

Get over yourself. I am sure Vince did lobby for Reed, but once BB talked to Reed, it was clear what Reed wanted.  

No one in their right mind thinks a team led by Geno Bust with only 1 wildcard spot open, is going to the playoffs or deep into the playoffs.  BB hung up the phone.

Simple.

[/QUOTE]

The Pats top ranked D gave up 30 points to a team with a bust QB?  Oh my.   So what was it that Reed said to Bill on the phone that changed his mind?  Was it all that money Reed was asking for?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to Salcon's comment:
    [QUOTE]

LMAO!

"You hear that Elizabeth?  I'm comin' to join you honey." - Fred Sanford

[/QUOTE]

Hahaha!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to MeadowlandMike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

But will he still be this years Junior Seau?

[/QUOTE]

Can't when he's too dumb or damaged to choose to do a workout in foxboro , and then sign with the clown show J-e-t-s.  Could have been but Reed revealed himself to be looking for the easy money with his old buddy the -Rexy-boy... I made a prediction based on false assumptions... thuoght Reed might be worthy of a Pats uniform.   Clearly not.     Happens...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

Glad BB passed on him. he was playing beyond his usefulness. he should have retired with his buddy