So what needs to be done now?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

So what needs to be done now?

I'd like to see John Abraham sign on with the Pats, but am thinking it probably isn't going to happen at this point.  A good vet brought in on passing downs and someone to help develop Jones would be a great thing. 

Considering the lack of depth for our WR position and how he had such a break out year last year, I'd also like to see Edleman back.

Aside from that, we need more depth at the Defensive Tackle and Cornerback positions (especially if Dennard is going to be getting locked up). 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Re: So what needs to be done now?

We need beef on the D line, somehow, someway.

We need to hope the Mallett trade comes to fruition as we need more draft picks and or a player like Taylor.

Realizing Muzzy was the early bell ringer I too have hoped that the Pats return to the 3/4 defense to protect the middle of the field better and help Mayo and Spikes against the pass.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

In response to agill1970's comment:

I'd like to see John Abraham sign on with the Pats, but am thinking it probably isn't going to happen at this point.  A good vet brought in on passing downs and someone to help develop Jones would be a great thing. 

Considering the lack of depth for our WR position and how he had such a break out year last year, I'd also like to see Edleman back.

Aside from that, we need more depth at the Defensive Tackle and Cornerback positions (especially if Dennard is going to be getting locked up). 

I too am suprised Abraham hasn't signed on yet---he must be asking more than he's worth? Outside WR is crucial and some D line beef to help Vince and maybe another O lineman-kinda thin there after starters. Maybe a free agent CB or Saftey from team cuts-seems to be BBs MO. Also IF Dennard goes to jail a # 2 CB will be needed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

Are their any teams that have a stockpile of either WRs or DBs--if so why not trade Mallet straight up for one or both,(if Pats can find a sucker)?

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I'm hoping Abraham signs because he's the situational pass rusher the Pats could use. What I see left that is needed right now is:

Interior pass rusher/presence - Someone next to Wilfork who can push the pocket and take some pressure off of big Vince. They don't need to get double digit sacks but someone who can prevent QB's from stepping up in the pocket and makes QB's feel uncomfortable. With current FA's I don't see anyone that interests me (sorry but the bad blood between Seymour and BB is to much to expect him back) so it looks like to me that draft would be wear I'd go.

#2 durable WR - Amendola can replace Welker if healthy but that's a huge question mark. Jones is another huge health question mark but should be an upgrade over Branch. That leaves a big hole at the #2 WR position and I'd much rather fill it with a durable player that has a history of not being sidelined. Sanders might be able to fill that role if they get him or they could try to bring back Lloyd on small money.

#4 CB - Talib hasn't finish a full season in his career, Arrington is best only out of the star position, Dennard only has one year under his belt and we know with the Pats curse there tends to be a drop off the second year. It would be foolish not to have a starting caliber backup who can play inside or out, or one to push Dennard inside with Arrington and let them fight for time depending on opponent. I'm not seeing a lot out there right now as most of the older players are worn to the point we might not get more then sub dime roles from them (ie Jammer and Winfield) and some of the younger guys were inconsistent before their injures and might be better suited as nickels instead of competition for full time jobs (ie Lacey and Mouton). There are a couple I like, such as Brown or Hanson who might give you a good season. Imo it might be better to target one in the draft with higher upside and might take over for Talib next year if his contract demands are to high or he blows up during the season

#4/5 WR - Sorry to some but I'm not sure Jenkins is a real possibility. I'm not comfortable that a WR depleted Minn team let him go for not much extra in cap space and that he's been slowed even further since his knee injury. BB also appears worried about it too since he got him for non-garaunteed vet min money. I'd like to bring in another player to compete with Jenkins as a bigger red zone threat type of WR or at least bring in a rook with higher upside that could challenge for a starting job should Jones or Amendola gets injured. My first choice would be get a Rogers, Wheaton, Bailey as a possible #2 WR and bring in Nelson or Ramses to compete with Jenkins for that larger WR role

Situational pass rusher/coverage LB - I'd like to grab a vet but also feel there might be solutions already on the team. If they go coverage LB they can move Hightower to a sub rusher role where he was used in Ala. If they go pass rusher in someone like Abraham then they can use A Wilson as a 4th LB in a 443 type fo coverage situation. They have some flexibility in there and might actually move Hightower to a situational rusher role and Wilson as a coverage LB. So, as much as I'd like a devoted person to either position they already might have on team options

There are two major wildcards though:

Hernandez - With Ballard, Gronk, Fells, Hoom on the team could Hern be moved to WR as that #2 WR? If so there still brings durability concerns but he would be an upgrade over Lloyd. Additionally if you draft a Rogers, Wheaton, or Bailey then you have added solid starting caliber depth to what right now appears to be a weak point

Armstead - there is a lot of debate on what Armstead is. He's in a weird spot for weight where if he drops 10lbs could be a larger DE with some good speed to bookend Jones and spell Nink on passing downs or if he gains weight he could be in the mold of a J Green, Wright, Pryor type that can player inside or out and situationally used. Either way I don't see him as an immediate starter but someone who can fill the roles listed above keeping the starters fresh while minimizing drop off in production. Depending on how the Pats see him might affect if they decide to go DL early or towards the mid rounds

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Resign Edelman and sign Abraham. Sanders offer and nickel DB. Some of this could get taken care of during the draft.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brad34. Show Brad34's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

1. Abraham. 2-3 million for 1 year should do it.

2. Jacob Lacey, Trufant, Jammer, whoever is cheap and wants to be here as a veteran CB in camp.

3. Emmanuel Sanders for 3rd rd pick.

4. Trade Mallett for no less than a 2nd rd pick.

5. Resign Julian Edelman.

6. Sign Brady Quinn for back up QB or Charlie Batch.

7. Sign a veteran DT who has some 3-4 experience to the vet minimum. Pouha or Casey Hampton? Trade for Phil Taylor in works?

Agree with this 100% and if they got it all done combined with what else they have done the offseason gets an A+ from me

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

Patriots have about 10 mil in salary cap space.  They need 4-5 mil for the rookies and in season deals.  This leaves about 5 mil for more signings.  If they sign Abraham for 3 mil, they will not have enough for an offer sheet for Sanders.  If they make an offer for Sanders, they will not get Abraham.  So it will be one of these choices. Trading Mallett makes sense.  He is marketable with the weak QB class.  I would say trade him and our first to Cleverland for their first and a later round pick.  Use their first to move back in the draft to gain more picks.  This would allow the Patriot a chance to pick up talent in the middle of the draft.  this is where the strength of the draft is. 

My wish list is for an outside WR, a DT, an OT to replace Mankins, and an ILB to sit next to Mayo.  I do nto see a need at CB or Safety.  They have wasted enough draft picks on this position. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to msteven's comment:

Patriots have about 10 mil in salary cap space.  They need 4-5 mil for the rookies and in season deals.  This leaves about 5 mil for more signings.  If they sign Abraham for 3 mil, they will not have enough for an offer sheet for Sanders.  If they make an offer for Sanders, they will not get Abraham.  So it will be one of these choices. Trading Mallett makes sense.  He is marketable with the weak QB class.  I would say trade him and our first to Cleverland for their first and a later round pick.  Use their first to move back in the draft to gain more picks.  This would allow the Patriot a chance to pick up talent in the middle of the draft.  this is where the strength of the draft is. 

My wish list is for an outside WR, a DT, an OT to replace Mankins, and an ILB to sit next to Mayo.  I do nto see a need at CB or Safety.  They have wasted enough draft picks on this position. 

don't forget, in preseason you only need to account for the top 51 contracts so replacing the bottom two contracts saves an extra $3mil. Additionally, that $3mil could be turned into a 2 yr deal and spread a slightly higher signing bonus to save an additional $.5-1mil this year or part of the $3mil could be easily obtained bonuses (like 10 tackles, 2 sacks) such as $1mil signing, $1mil garaunteed base, and $1mil easily obtained incentives which would push that $1mil into next year. There's all type of tricks you could pull including Sanders contract spreading it out over a longer period while having just large enough base to prevent Pit from matching. You could realistically sign Abraham to $3mil and Sanders to $4mil this year and not be over the cap. That's cap math for you $7mil < $5mil cap space

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

The Patriots currently have $10.2 million in salary cap space, according to NFL Players Association calculations, which provides context as to the team's flexibility to sign players.

The club is always going to want to leave itself some cushion on the cap, and in time, rookies will have to be accounted for as well. So it makes sense to think that the Patriots will tread lightly in terms of signings that are significantly richer than minimum levels.

Another area of interest is that the Steelers currently have $2.06 million in salary cap space. The Patriots had previously hosted Steelers restricted free agent WR Emmanuel Sanders on a visit, and the deadline to sign Sanders to an offer sheet is April 19.

If the Patriots are still considering Sanders, the $2.06 million figure shows how close the Steelers are to the cap, and how New England could potentially structure an offer sheet with a $3 million first-year cap charge that could put more stress on Pittsburgh's cap and potentially make it a challenge to match.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

Lawn tractor was leaking oil last fall, need to get that fixed before mowing season starts. Oh, and I could probably use a haircut...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

The June 1st cutdowns have started. There will be more to pick from...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/conversations/_/id/9132969/atlanta-falcons-release-starting-tackle-tyson-clabo

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

continue to improve on defense, pass rush and DBs

the team needs to grow a pair

the coaching staff need to be more creative/unpredictable/agressive on the offensive and defensive play calls