So who is that "next guy"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

So who is that "next guy"

Ok so we lost a lot of veterans on this defense this offseason and I understand everyone is pumped up about the young guys but who is going to be that next guy? The nexy Seymore? The next leader? Other then Mayo of course so please leave Mayo out of this cause we all know he is a beast. Could it be Adalius Thomas? or one of the other vets like Wilfork or Warren? Will Brandon Merriwhether step up and have a pro bowl type season? I think he Merriwhether is the guy but what do you guys think? Who will help us forget about a guy liek Seymore?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tnutts. Show Tnutts's posts

Re: So who is that "next guy"

It has to be either Merriwhether or Thomas.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

Merriweather and Guyton.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Bobby Boucher.

No . . .

Wait . . .

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from steve1581. Show steve1581's posts

Myron Pryor/Jarvis Green and Mike Wright will all come out from the shadows this year.

Dont discount this defense. They need to tighten up but they will be tough!

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from FranklynDR. Show FranklynDR's posts

The Patriots are building a new (for them) kind of defense... speed and smarts. The speed part is new, the smarts have been there. Look for Patrick Chung and Darius Butler to be big players by the 5th or 6th week.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

I am not talking about break out seasons guys, I get why some would say Guyton is going to have a break out year but thats not what I mean. Anyone can have one break out season I am talking about teh Bruschi's and Vrabels of this team who will be that guy? Belichick needs to have "his guys" out of that field to make the play when it needs to be made and i dont see anyone. I see he has a lot of new faces to deal with and no one he would feel good about letting lead this team. Mayo is not ready IMO. yes he is good and yes he will be that guy at some point but in year two can we really count on this kid? We dont even know if he will be good in year two. When we won championships it was not that we had more talent then the next team or we were so much better it was that magic. That Bill Belichick NE Patriot magic that just couldnt be touched and I just dont feel that way anymore. I agree that by the end of teh year we will be gelling and looking good but IMO this defense has lost that magic that made us so good.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZRob101. Show ZRob101's posts

chungs looked great getting beat deep this pre-season, makes it look easy

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from markes8336. Show markes8336's posts

I think Ty Warren and Jarvis Green could become leaders on the D-Line. I would love to say Wilfork, but I don't see it while he is still in contract limbo.
    Mayo is already a leader among the LB's, as you stated, but someone needs to step up and provide some leadership in the secondary. Perhaps a veteran like Bodden or Springs may step up.
    Good post...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Irkillendem. Show Irkillendem's posts

I think James Sanders is going to be the leader of the DBs.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

On the d-line? Warren and Fork got it covered. Down the road I think Mayo and Chung will both be leaders. Mayo already is.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Ty Warran from what I have heard is just not teh kind of guy will be the leader so I would knock him off that list to an extent. Wilfork will be a leader I am sure. Chung and Mayo are not the guy. too young, and we are all too quick to hand them the keys to the city. I like Mayo but one season isnt enough to make him the guy. I like the idea that James Sanders will be a leader for the D backs.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

Mayo is being annointed the next Mike Singletary or Ray Lewis from some of the stuff I'm reading around the country.  Let's hope he can be "the guy".  He has a chance to be.  I still can't figure out how UFA Guyton gets so much pub.  He was a part time player who was ok to good in certain spots.  I'm reading an article today and Bill calls him a potential leader?!  I hope that's the case, maybe I missed something in preseason.  Never thought he'd be more than a rotational guy.     

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

People give Guyton a lot of credit because the staff is so high on him.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

I posted in another thread I started that this defense will be fine if 6 players play up to their ability... Wilfork, Warren, Mayo, Thomas, Bodden and Merriweather. I think you can throw in Sanders into this. And all we need from the rest of them is solid play example Springs hopefully handles Owens as is the case with him usually. Just situationally good.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

I would throw Springs in that list of people who need to play up to their expections. If Springs can be a good CB for this team and stay healthy thats a big upgrade.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

MVP:  I think what you're trying to ask is who is going to be the next "spiritual leader" of this defense.  Bruschi, Rodney, and Vrabel were all great leaders and now they're gone.

You say to leave Mayo out of the equation but why?  He was a huge question mark last year going into last season.  He emerged as a beast over the course of the year so why not say he's going to be the primary "leader" of the defense. 

Guys like Bruschi, Vrabel, Rodney are special and only come around (especially on the same defense) once in a while.  That said, I think the Pats will play tough "team defense" that will offset these losses.  As the year progresses, hopefully they will find a new identity and new "spiritual leaders" will emerge. 

Much like "07" the offense will likely blow people out so the defense will look better than it actually is.

CANT FRIKKIN WAIT UNTIL MONDAY NIGHT!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

delux the reason I say leave Mayo out of it is cause if i didnt say that every answer would be "May is the guy" and I agree he could be but i dont need to read 40 posts all saying Mayo is the guy I want a more in depth conversation. Yes Mayo is good and yes Merriwhether is good but neither of them have that old Patriot magic that we used to have, we dont have any swagger. So who becomes that next guy? Is it Adalius Thomas? Does Vince Wilfork have a monster season due to the 4-3 switch up? These are good questions.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

Who cares as long as we just keep winning!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

You might not care and thats fine but I liked our defense, i loved the guys we had in those championship years, they had that magic, that swagger, and that is what made us so good and we dont have that anymore and it worries me.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Are you asking for who will be the next "Willie Mac" type player?  If I ignore the leadership aspect for a moment, and focus on who will be most apt to make the key play when it matters most, I'll go with Merriweather.  He's poised for a good season and seems to have stepped up his game in training camp and preseason; for what that's worth.

If it's not Merriweather, it will be one or more of the new players.  It will not come from the group of vets.  They had their opportunity to be the next Willie Mac, and never became so.  We've all talked about this before on this board.  It's more than providing locker room leadership, it's about making key places when it matters most.  That's the unrecorded stat I'm most concerned about this year.  I don't care if one of our players have 14 sacks on the year, I want to know how many of them came when the opponent was making a potentially game winning drive with a minute left in the game.  I want to know how many of them came in the playoffs.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

In Response to Re: So who is that "next guy":
    [QUOTE]You might not care and thats fine but I liked our defense, i loved the guys we had in those championship years, they had that magic, that swagger, and that is what made us so good and we dont have that anymore and it worries me.
    Posted by MVPkilla[/QUOTE]

I guess u didn't "get" why I posted that.  UR point about my "drama" post was "who cares as long they win"  So thanks for that insightful comment.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

The leadership positions on D are linebacker and safety.  Linemen and cornerbacks don't really lead, they just sort of do their job.  It's the guys in the middle of the field who get the team and the crowd pumped up. 

Sanders and Merriweather don't strike me as "leaders" but our D was pretty good at the end of 05 and 06 without Rodney leading back there so I think we'll be ok.  Our D was also ok without Bru the past few years when he was rotating so I think Thomas can lead although he hasn't shown much emotion to date, maybe Mayo and Guyton will act older than they are.