Some thoughts on Brady and on NFL rule changes...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTLadyluvsPats. Show CTLadyluvsPats's posts

Some thoughts on Brady and on NFL rule changes...

If I may get on my soapbox for a moment….a few words about Brady and NFL rule changes…

Re: Mr.Brady

Brady is definitely not clicking just yet, that is a given and he has made mistakes. But give the guy a break; he’s back from an injury after being off the field an entire season. He is not superman, he is hu-man. Moreover, he is not working with the same team he last played with. Look at all the personnel changes that have taken place since he last played. Veteran players gone, coaches gone…have gone to other AFC teams in some cases. That means the enemy has ‘intimate’ knowledge of everything Brady, a clear advantage. Then add new players to the mix that don’t yet fully grasp the Patriots offense…Talk about facing mounting odds (Brady). It’s got to be driving him bleeping mad! And of course he is under tremendous pressure to produce. Just look at how much flack his own fans are giving him in some cases. IMO people need to ease up on him a little. Give the man a chance to get all his ducks in a row. And really, do you think you could possibly be anywhere near as aggravated as he is about not putting up the points? Don’t kid yourself folks. We’re talking about Brady here, the kid that loves to win and has known little else in recent history…talk about a bitter pill to swallow. 

Re: NFL rule changes

Now as for people that are mocking the so-called “Brady Rule” (the newly less lenient roughing the passer penalties) I want to remind you to put things in context... The cold hard facts are that the NFL is all about RATINGS; ratings and PROFITS. Profit is what drives the big corporate machine that the NFL has become. For instance, take holding [preseason] games in Mexico and [regular season] games in England as prime examples…the NFL wants to globalize its game to drive up their revenue. In addition, you do realize why the NFL keeps changing rules don't you (e.g. the “Manning Rule” –  that lovely 5 yd receiver no touchy feely rule)? They changed these rules because they want spectacular scoring drives which in turn brings in viewers. Hence, that’s also why the NFL is [over] protecting QBs (in some folk’s opinions). If big time QBs are out of the game, the NFL loses viewers and thus, profits. Sadly, this is just the way things are now in pro sports, but most especially in the NFL. The days of hard nose down and dirty pro football are gone, IMO.

Anyway…I just felt the desire to comment on all the aforementioned. Perhaps it's nothing more than stating the obvious but I just wanted remind people I suppose.

Mock as you will trolls, et. al. but realize that it is not the Patriots that are the issue here. It is the NFL worrying about their bottom line $ and cents, period. Hell, even that wing nut Shannon Sharpe admitted as much last Sunday during the pre-game show (talking about how CBS’s NFL ratings were down last year with Brady out). It is what it is I guess.

Okay, off my soapbox now, respectfully.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from justme2. Show justme2's posts

Re: Some thoughts on Brady and on NFL rule changes...

well put..  and i agree totally..

Thank you..

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTLadyluvsPats. Show CTLadyluvsPats's posts

Thanks.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTLadyluvsPats. Show CTLadyluvsPats's posts

In Response to Some thoughts on Brady and on NFL rule changes...:
    [QUOTE]  If I may get on my soapbox for a moment….a few words about Brady and NFL rule changes…   Re: Mr.Brady   Brady is definitely not clicking just yet, that is a given and he has made mistakes. But give the guy a break; he’s back from an injury after being off the field an entire season. He is not superman, he is hu-man. Moreover, he is not working with the same team he last played with. Look at all the personnel changes that have taken place since he last played. Veteran players gone, coaches gone…have gone to other AFC teams in some cases. That means the enemy has ‘intimate’ knowledge of everything Brady, a clear advantage. Then add new players to the mix that don’t yet fully grasp the Patriots offense…Talk about facing mounting odds (Brady). It’s got to be driving him bleeping mad! And of course he is under tremendous pressure to produce. Just look at how much flack his own fans are giving him in some cases. IMO people need to ease up on him a little. Give the man a chance to get all his ducks in a row. And really, do you think you could possibly be anywhere near as aggravated as he is about not putting up the points? Don’t kid yourself folks. We’re talking about Brady here, the kid that loves to win and has known little else in recent history…talk about a bitter pill to swallow.    Re: NFL rule changes Now as for people that are mocking the so-called “Brady Rule” (the newly less lenient roughing the passer penalties) I want to remind you to put things in context... The cold hard facts are that the NFL is all about RATINGS; ratings and PROFITS. Profit is what drives the big corporate machine that the NFL has become. For instance, take holding [preseason] games in Mexico and [regular season] games in England as prime examples…the NFL wants to globalize its game to drive up their revenue. In addition, you do realize why the NFL keeps changing rules don't you (e.g. the “Manning Rule” –  that lovely 5 yd receiver no touchy feely rule)? They changed these rules because they want spectacular scoring drives which in turn brings in viewers. Hence, that’s also why the NFL is [over] protecting QBs (in some folk’s opinions). If big time QBs are out of the game, the NFL loses viewers and thus, profits. Sadly, this is just the way things are now in pro sports, but most especially in the NFL. The days of hard nose down and dirty pro football are gone, IMO.   Anyway…I just felt the desire to comment on all the aforementioned. Perhaps it's nothing more than stating the obvious but I just wanted remind people I suppose. Mock as you will trolls, et. al. but realize that it is not the Patriots that are the issue here. It is the NFL worrying about their bottom line $ and cents, period. Hell, even that wing nut Shannon Sharpe admitted as much last Sunday during the pre-game show (talking about how CBS’s NFL ratings were down last year with Brady out). It is what it is I guess. Okay, off my soapbox now, respectfully.
    Posted by CTLadyluvsPats[/QUOTE]

nudge...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

She's right.

The league is star-driven and it is in the best interests of the league (and when I say "the league" I am referring, of course, to the networks which run the league) to keep its marquee players upright and performing. I have been a nomadic Pats fan for most of the last twenty years, and I can tell you that although a lot of people around the country hate the Pats since they became the league's model franchise, there is very little animosity anywhere toward Tom Brady himself. Now, certain fans may refer to the "Brady Rule" in a derogatory fashion (underdogg), and I am no fan of officials deciding the outcomes of games, but rules have been tweaked to create offense and protect skill players before (in the grasp, five-yard chuck zone) without destroying the integrity of the game, and at some point the officiating crews will reach an understanding of where to draw the line on these ridiculous roughing the passer penalties.

Until that happens, some teams are going to benefit from what look like marginal calls and some teams are going to perceive that they have been screwed. In a perfect world, these types of things would eventually even out -- alas, most of us do not live in a perfect world, so we're just going to have to endeavor to persevere.

Other than that, I don't have any strong feelings on the matter.

Did I mention the Titans blow?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

It's always about the $$ in this league.  Your totally right Laurie with this one...the NFL is the golden goose out there right now and they know what drives this league. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Great post CTLADY, and basically true of most professional sports leagues: the star players are protected. And the NFL has a huge TV contract to live up to. If I am not mistaken the ratings this year have been good. The NFL has to maintain decent ratings to continue to get enormous TV contracts (billions) which in turn reflects the ad revenue that broadcasters can charge advertisers.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTLadyluvsPats. Show CTLadyluvsPats's posts

Thanks for your participation guys!

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

I can understand why some fans despise any rule that reduces the physical aspect of the game.  The physical aspect of the game is one of the reasons NFL fans love football.  They show highlights of the big hits for a reason.  I also understand the business side of things.  I think the owners have tilted a little more towards being a business than they have in the past.  The NFL has always been a business, but they seem to be more business oriented now than years ago.  Years ago, I was more concerned with finding the nearest bar, so perhaps I never noticed.  Keeping the stars on the field certainly helps maintain the enthusiasm by the fans.  It also helps sell all of the merchandise associated with those players.  And then Brady brought up a valid point in a recent interview.  The QB is defenseless much like a receiver at times.  

Brady will be fine this year.  Of course, we all hope it starts this week.  There isn't as much room for error after the bye.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

Well said Laurie. There's no question that big names like TB bring in the cash and like any good business they're going to protect that interest. I would!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTLadyluvsPats. Show CTLadyluvsPats's posts

In Response to Re: Some thoughts on Brady and on NFL rule changes...:
    [QUOTE]Well said Laurie. There's no question that big names like TB bring in the cash and like any good business they're going to protect that interest. I would!
    Posted by Sam-Adams[/QUOTE]

My point exactly my friend. :) Love you Boston Boyz!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTLadyluvsPats. Show CTLadyluvsPats's posts

In Response to Re: Some thoughts on Brady and on NFL rule changes...:
    [QUOTE]I can understand why some fans despise any rule that reduces the physical aspect of the game.  The physical aspect of the game is one of the reasons NFL fans love football.  They show highlights of the big hits for a reason.  I also understand the business side of things.  I think the owners have tilted a little more towards being a business than they have in the past.  The NFL has always been a business, but they seem to be more business oriented now than years ago.  Years ago, I was more concerned with finding the nearest bar, so perhaps I never noticed.  Keeping the stars on the field certainly helps maintain the enthusiasm by the fans.  It also helps sell all of the merchandise associated with those players.  And then Brady brought up a valid point in a recent interview.  The QB is defenseless much like a receiver at times.   Brady will be fine this year.  Of course, we all hope it starts this week.  There isn't as much room for error after the bye.
    Posted by carawaydj[/QUOTE]

They'll be fine just as you say caraway. We just need to have some patience. If anyone can pull one out, it's the Patriots. :)