Some very bad news from Mike Reiss

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from HRK103. Show HRK103's posts

Some very bad news from Mike Reiss

This was written on mikes blog......

No doubt about who's running the offense
    . While the Patriots don't have an official offensive coordinator, quarterbacks coach Bill O'Brien was clearly in charge of the session. For the second year in a row, it seems as if O'Brien is the offensive coordinator without the title. 

I know this is new season but going by "Mr. Vanilla's" campaign last year i don't hold much for this offense. Hopefully Holt, AH, Gronk and Alge make a difference so that the O isn't pedestrian and predictable.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Re: Some very bad news from Mike Reiss

I second that thought.  I with no coaching experience in the NFL could have made better calls.  Heck let TB make his own call.  Anything would have been better.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

i seriously sat there for the playoff game last year and could guess at least 2-3 plays in a row on multiple ocasions! we ran one option i think 7-10 times and it felt like we had no plan, just look at the plays and pick one. It seemed like this guy hasn't even read the whole playbook, how can BB let this guy make TB and our offense looks so poor!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I'm on record as saying that I was not a fan of O'Brien and his predictable play calling last year.  However, BB has a good track record of identifying and developing good OC talent, so I'm hoping he's grown as an OC and is ready to help this offense grow.  I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now.....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

He was too predictable with little originality. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

whatever plays that were called were through BB.....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Maybe the players simply couldn't get it done when it mattered ... I'm just sayin.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

You wouldn't have to go too far back in time to find similar objections (or the exact same ones) about the previous quarterbacks coach on this very forum.

What the hell was that guy's name again?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-in-md. Show pats-fan-in-md's posts

The way I see it Mr. Obrian was on a short leash last year. He
    inherited a quarterback coming off of major knee surgery. Add
    that to the fact that Mr. Obrien was, like any rookie player in
    a starters role, limited to a "manage the game" role while behind 
    the scenes he's being groomed for the Offensive Coordinators
    position. I would say, and most of you would agree, that Mr. Obrien
    probably would not have been back or at least would have been
    relieved of his current duties if Bill didn't think he saw something
    worth developing further. . I say we will see something very dynamic
    coming from the offense this year. I think with Master Tom 2 years
    removed from the day the NFL teetered ( think Tiger Woods ;)...) on
    the brink of disaster and Mr. Obrian with a year under his belt in the
    position he now holds....well I think this year will be special. Now
    back to your regularly scheduled program.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In Response to Re: Some very bad news from Mike Reiss:
    You wouldn't have to go too far back in time to find similar objections (or the exact same ones) about the previous quarterbacks coach on this very forum. What the hell was that guy's name again?
    Posted by p-mike

Of course. It took him a couple of seasons to really figure it out. A rookie OC is just that  . . .  a rookie. I will give the guy two more seasons before I grab my pitchfork and torch.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Doesn't matter if you don't execute. Any play looks good if you have the talent and everyone is on the same page functioning as a unit, then everyone looks good. To me last year the offense had injuries and didn't have enough speed on the outside. Give me a healthy Brady; a little more speed, the tight ends they added, Welker sometime in November, an improved Edelman and it won't matter who's calling the plays.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

I expect to see improvement this year, especially if Fred Taylor (the most versatile back on the roster) stays healthy).

We said the same things when McDaniels first took over for Weis.

If he doesn't improve, I'll be worried, but he'll have a couple of new toys in Hernandez and Gronkowski to make it difficult for teams to match up (do you put a bigger but less agile linebacker on them? or a quicker, but smaller defensive back?)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Not as bad as Maroney still being #1 on the depth chart at RB. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from can-pats-fan. Show can-pats-fan's posts

Bill's huge ego would not allow us to go out and hire Mike Martz to be the OC.  He just have to put up with his trained seals.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Doesn't matter if you don't execute. Any play looks good if you have the talent and everyone is on the same page functioning as a unit, then everyone looks good. To me last year the offense had injuries and didn't have enough speed on the outside. Give me a healthy Brady; a little more speed, the tight ends they added, Welker sometime in November, an improved Edelman and it won't matter who's calling the plays.
    Posted by mthurl

mthurl I disagree for one reason, if I know the next play, so does the D.  Then any amount of talent is easier to stop.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

He was too predictable with little originality. 
    Posted by Macrawn

I agree with this!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

he was just awful.  in a time when the NFL is becomming more and more creative with play design and play calling, o brien was just so dull and obvious.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

my feelings about this are TB should be making the play calls in the huddle.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

As long as they get back to spreading the ball around,  I will be happy.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

In Response to Re: Some very bad news from Mike Reiss : I agree with this!
    Posted by BradyMossFan

Then you have a problem with Belichick and you are a troll.....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsareNumberone. Show PatsareNumberone's posts

In Response to Re: Some very bad news from Mike Reiss : Then you have a problem with Belichick and you are a troll.....
    Posted by m1021us

I agree with this! LOL. This guy is a Morass of Negativity- Ted Sarandis. Gotta be a Jets or Colts fan but definitely not a Pats fan.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

O'Brien's playcalling last year was hardly inspirational.  That said, it was his first year calling the plays and he was dealing with a less than 100% Brady and Moss and an oft injured backfield.  Let's see what he does this year before tossing him over the side.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

I fully expect The Play Calling to change this year. I also think we would have thought the play calling was a lot better if our offensive line, Running back and quarterback played better. We were pretty sloppy all the way around last year and I agree with everyone that used the Josh McDaniel Comparison.We could have been a lot better last year just by Brady having a consistent and good year.(By his Standards) I'm not worried yet but I do wish we would get a good RB.