some very interesting observations from PFF

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Re: some very interesting observations from PFF

In response to DeadAhead's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to IrishMob7's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Translation:  Protect Brady and he'll pick apart the defense.  OL has to step up if we want to have any chance of success in the playoffs.  He was put under pressure way too many times on Sunday.

Also, as others have noted, Siliga played pretty well.  It was refreshing to see a DL not get thrown around or thrown backward 3 yards after every snap.  Hopefully he doesn't wear down by the time playoffs come around because we will need some consistency in run stopping.

[/QUOTE]

Brady needs to stop pretending it's 2007 and move those feet. Manning moves more than Brady does.  You can't expect every play in your head, to unfold the perfect way you expect it to.

It's ok to move up, run to the right, run to the left, etc.

I actually liked the playcall for the game winning TD, but I wonder why we don't do that more often. Brady rolled out to his right and unloaded it.

When was the last time we even saw that?

That's on McDaniels, not on the OL. In fact, and I said this in another thread, Logie Mankins on the post game CNNSE show said this (paraphrasing):

"We had 4 sacks, but we just need to clean up 2 of them because they weren't on playaction." 

IMO, this is a subtle jab at McDaniels using playaction before the run game was established.

I agree with Mankins there.  The OL has been playing fine. I think last week, we drew Houston and that's a bad matchup for Houston, so the OL looks good.

This week, it was a danger front 4, man cover, drop 7 team.  They have edge rushers in Kruger and Mingo and good push down the middle with Taylor.

MIami and Baltimore also pose this problem to some degree.  The key? Run the bal and get that run established by halftime. You may not light up the scoreboard in the first half, but 10 or 13 points is a lot better than ZERO points.

The second half is where you can cash in and control the clock.

[/QUOTE]

If we put a windmill in front of your mouth we could power the entire Boston metro area.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I counted Brday under pressure on 21 drop backs and he was also sacked 4 times...so on 25 drop backs his passer rating was very poor due to pressure. when kept clean, his rating was 112...to say TB played a poor game is crazy...yes, he would like to have some throws back...but he played very well in spite of a poor performance by his o line

[/QUOTE]

So, in a perfect world, Brady is awesome?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

I stopped reading when it said Talib was overmatched in the encounter. Talib, whether with help or not, shut down Gordon in the first half and most of the second. Gordon only had that one catch and run for the TD.

This is a classic case of them looking at a statline and clearly not watching the game.

Take away the one 80 yard catch and run and Gordon did nothing.  Bess and Little also did nothing.

[/QUOTE]

Huh? did you even watch the game? Gordon was targeted 7 times and had 7 rcpts. he also drew 3 PI flags. He had 5 1st down rcpts. He ran a reverse for big yardage and a 1st down. Oh yeah, he also had an 80 yard catch and run where he stiff armed argueably the most physical CB in the NFL and ran away from both Talib and McCourty for a score.

Yet, you feel he did nothing? Has a WR played a better game against the Pats this year?

You do realize that these teams are playing a full game, and not only half games correct? You seem to be focusing on the fact that TB did not play well in the first half, and neither did Gordon...

Wow, if you had any credibility...never mind, you dont

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

PFF is my favorite site for football analysis. The only way to truly assess players is to break them down on tape. That's what they do.

That's why I subscribe to their premium stats.

Here is more good stuff from PFF...

• Overall, Brady ranks 12th in PFF's QB rankings. His fumbles keep him out of the top 10.
    • McCourty ranks #1 among all Safeties, despite struggling in the last 4 weeks.
    • Jerrod Mayo ranked dead last among 4-3 OLBs before getting injured. Among all (including non-qualifiers) he ranks 80th. Yet, people on this board get flummoxed when I say he's overrated and overpaid and that BB should keep Spikes over him.
    • Speaking of Spikes, he ranks 6th among all ILBs (including 3-4 ILBs) and ranks #1 vs the run. All this despite playing with a sore knee the last few weeks.
    • In PFFs Signature Stats (QBs that have played in at least 50% of his teams snaps), Brady ranks 23rd in Pressure%, 12th in Sack% (as a % of total Pressures), and 23rd in Accuracy% (counts drops as completions). Bottom line, Brady doesn't get pressured often, but when he does, he sucks.
    • When Brady has more than 2.6 seconds time in the pocket, he ranks dead last in completion% (45.5) and 25th in QBR (68.9). This was the case in 2012. Therefore, when Brady has time to throw, and 3 seconds have elapsed, expect bad things to happen. Conclusion: When Brady is pressured, he sucks. When he's not pressured, but has to improvise, he sucks. When everything is lollipops and rainbows, he's his old awesome self. Gee, I hope defenses are nice to him in the playoffs. They haven't been since 2004.
    • Chandler Jones ranks 29th among 4-3 DEs: 10th vs the run, 43rd in pass rush. "But he's got 12 sacks!!!". Yes, that's on 12 snaps. Jones is tied for 2nd in Pass Rush Snaps (498). Basically, Jones has been ineffective overall in his remaining 486 PR snaps. In PRP (Pass Rush Productivity) Jones ranks 23rd among 4-3 DEs. PRP calculation: (Sacks + 0.75xHits + 0.75xPressures)/PR Snaps. Since PRP is a sack-heavy stat, it illustrates just how ineffective a pass rusher Jones (12 sacks) has been overall. DT Chris Jones is in the same boat. His sack total gets him more pub (Don Criqui) than fellow rookie Joe Vellano. Yet Vellano is the better player.
    • In the first half of 2012, Vince Wilfork ranked near the bottom in overall grades among all DTs (including NTs). So much so, that PFF wrote an article. Since that article, Wilfork went on a tear and finished ranked 11th. Coincidence? It's believed that Wilfork's wife read the article. Sadly, Wilfork was off to another slow start in 2013 before getting injured. Wilfork turns 33 mid 2014 season. Is it really worth paying him under his current contract?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

[QUOTE]

This is a classic case of them looking at a statline and clearly not watching the game.

[/QUOTE]

This post is a classic case of utter ingnorance.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

In response to HeygangLH's comment:
    [QUOTE]

So basically if Brady can stand still and not get pressured he will have a better QB rating? Is that right?

Of course it is. All QB's in the League would have a better rating if they can just stand there.Brady's problem is he just hates to get hit. Pressure him and Old "happy Feet Brady" shows up and the next thing you know he's throwing INT's in the endzone to end the game.

The days of the dropback QB are coming to an end.The Wilsons and the RG3's of the world are the new generation. Out w the old and in w the new!

I never watch the pats unless they are playing the Jets or they are the only game on. Is Brady still doing that emasculating pounding the turf anytime a defender just brushes up against him while screaming at the ref looking for a flag?

I hope not.

[/QUOTE]

That's funny that you say that about TB.  He has been under more consistent pressure this year than I can ever remember seeing in one regular season.  But you know what?  Contrary to your belief that he crumbles under pressure, he has put together numerous comeback victories this year.  Oh, he's getting knocked down plenty.  But, the thing is, he just keeps getting back up.  He's making people like you, who think he can't handle the pressure, look really dumb.  But, if it makes you feel better to believe that nonsense...well, you just go ahead.  The rest of us here will sit back and watch as TB takes our team to another post-season.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I stopped reading when it said Talib was overmatched in the encounter. Talib, whether with help or not, shut down Gordon in the first half and most of the second. Gordon only had that one catch and run for the TD.

Take away the one 80 yard catch and run and Gordon did nothing.  Bess and Little also did nothing.

[/QUOTE]

Huh? did you even watch the game? Gordon was targeted 7 times and had 7 rcpts. he also drew 3 PI flags. He had 5 1st down rcpts. He ran a reverse for big yardage and a 1st down. Oh yeah, he also had an 80 yard catch and run where he stiff armed argueably the most physical CB in the NFL and ran away from both Talib and McCourty for a score.

Yet, you feel he did nothing? Has a WR played a better game against the Pats this year?

You do realize that these teams are playing a full game, and not only half games correct? You seem to be focusing on the fact that TB did not play well in the first half, and neither did Gordon...

[/QUOTE]

I just caught you lying.  There is now way he had 7 targets and 7 receptions. I jusy went through their drives, because I knew that was a lie, so I just confirmed you lying again. 

He had NO IMPACT in the game on those catches, except for the TD.  Even the last catch he had which hit the ground with his hand moving and could have been called incomplete, Talib had fantastic coverage on it.

It was just a perfectly located ball. That's far from "overmatched".

You can shut out a beast like that for a half and call the defender "overmatched".  Learn to read. He was not overmatched at all. In fact, outside of the one TD he had, NE's gameplan on him was factually brilliant.

I don't care how many targets someone like that has. I care about the damage he does.  You're a moron. That guy is like a Moss or Megatron kind of matchup problem for a defense.

Campbell's first pass attempt to Gordon came in the 2nd qtr and it was incomplete.

His first completion? End of first half on a failed drive for 18 yards.   This is not being "overmatched". At all.  It's also impossible for him to be 100% on targets if he an incompletion was in his direction, Mr. Pathological Liar.

That's called SHUTTING DOWN Josh Gordon in the first half. If Talib was overmatched, Gordon would have at least caught one ball and been targeted more. Get it, stupid?

His first pass to start the 3rd qtr, incomplete. Uh oh!  Not looking good for RKrap!  This was the drive where Gordon TACKLED Talib for the Cameron TD, where to this day, no one can explain how that was NOT PI on Gordon. You can't be pushing someone back like that when the ball is in the air.

That's a penalty on Gordon and NO TD by the rules of the rulebook. Fact.

Next, the penalty on Talib for the feet entanglement is not PI on Talib.  They never call feet entanglement, which is clearly incidental, as a penalty. So, you're wrong lying saying he drew penalties on Talib. That's a lie.  Gordon himself got away with murder for the 6 points vs our D.   The officiating was the most putrid in that game that I've seen all year in the endless amount of football I've watched.

It's fun exposing the living daylights out of liars and morons. How's that for crediblity?

The last impactful catch he had was the 16 yarder at the end where Talib had fantastic man defense but the lack of a pass rush on that play and a great throw allowed a questionable catch to stand.

You want credibility, boy? Do ya? I just bludgeoned the crap out of you an debunked every statement you made.

Finally, a great run on a reverse with great blocking in front of Gordon, with a great playcall, is not on Talib as a pass defender or even a run defender, MORON.  It's a reverse.

[/QUOTE]

Gordon-7 targets-7 rcpts

Jordan-10 targets-9 rcpts

total Jordan and Gordon-17 targets-16 rcpts (as outlined in the o/p via PFF)

go check the game stats

bludgeoned

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to CubanPete's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I counted Brday under pressure on 21 drop backs and he was also sacked 4 times...so on 25 drop backs his passer rating was very poor due to pressure. when kept clean, his rating was 112...to say TB played a poor game is crazy...yes, he would like to have some throws back...but he played very well in spite of a poor performance by his o line

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No, in a perfect world here, people would acknowledge his putrid QBR of 31.7 in the first half, is as much on him than it is on any pass rush from the Browns forcing him to be poor.

[/QUOTE]

why not put some statistics with you rudimentary analysis? I posted his QBR is 112 when not under pressure (that is for the full game)...he was pressured 21 times. he was sacked 4 times. his total QBR for the game was 92

seems statistically, his poor throws on due to DL pressure and OL break downs. in spite of that, his QBR was still a very good 92

yet you say he played poorly....

repeat. zero credibility. repeat. bludgeoned

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think the point is that the reality is a little more complicated than just those stats that you mentioned.  Even the announcers doing the game mentioned how Talib had pretty much eliminated Gordon from the equation in the first half.  There was a reason why he wasn't being thrown to.  Later on, several of the catches that he did make, it looked like Talib was right there.  Sometimes, you just have to give credit to the receiver.  Considering the numbers that Gordon has put up this year, I would say Talib did ok.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No, in a perfect world here, people would acknowledge his putrid QBR of 31.7 in the first half, is as much on him than it is on any pass rush from the Browns forcing him to be poor.

[/QUOTE]

I you know what I gave the entire O in the first half a D-- and that was cause he didnt kill our D with short fields

That said - I believe it to be on TB, the Oline, the receivers and sometimes the OC.  

I do believe that TB is many times lethal in the 4th qtr AS far as toughness - I will go with Tuck from the giants saying taht TB is the toughest player he has faced. No qb is consistently great with constant pressure, and for TB its if he cannot step up. plant and throw the odds are against him

I am not particuarly familiar with PFF, I think maybe they give some good stats but football is not baseball - To evaluate a football player there are too many contextural aspects that go on vs. a batters batting stats. And like who is the Football player lined up with? vs a batter against a pitcher.

BB said without knowing what the play was it is impossible for him to say (always) who messes up, and he is watching tape. Example I have loved Spikes and if BB can get  him in the right places at the right time he is awesome - if not - not so much - In other words how good is the coach in having schemes that get his [players in the best position to succeed. Then its on the athlete to deliver.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Statistical analysis has it's place; I'm not entirely sure it works in assessing QBs.  See, I get all the QBR and numerical ratings and all of the other sophisticated measurements that indicate that Brady really isn't all that good.   Except he is; and he wins.  That's all I really give a rat's a_ss about.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

PFF is my favorite site for football analysis. The only way to truly assess players is to break them down on tape. That's what they do.

There are two problems with this.  The first is that claiming they can break down every play without knowing the playcall is foolish at best.  The second is that they don't appear to have any way to control for playing time or difficulty of assingment.  Consider your example of Mayo and Spikes.  Spikes' grade is so high because he is excellent against the run and he usually comes off the field in obvious passing situations.  Mayo was/is a 3 down backer meaning he is on the field for every snap, is asked to do more than Spikes and his weaknesses aren't hidden by substitutions.  PFF grades have always been biased towards specialist players who are asked to fulfill a single role or easier assignments.

According to PFF Wilfork and Mayo were 2 of the least important players on defense.  Just watching this season reveals the stupidity of such a claim.  The fact that their coaches and peers disagree with PFF (both have been named to pro bowls, all pro teams and been in the top 100 players as voted by the players) should be enough evidence that PFF grades are not some sort of definitive answer to the quality of a player.  They can be useful, but far too many people on this board treat them as some sort of definitive rating.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Aqib Talib played his worst game as a PAt sunday. and he still was good so that says alot but Gordon owned him.. surprisingly. the 80 yard play was sad. talib normally would fight and fight to not give up that inside position on the slant... then he let himself get stiff armed. Gordon was targeted 10 times and caught 7 balls.. even take away the 80 yarder and gordon still had 70 yards which were a couple crucial third down plays.

talib lost some money in FA with last sunday's game.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to cyncalpatfan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think the point is that the reality is a little more complicated than just those stats that you mentioned.  Even the announcers doing the game mentioned how Talib had pretty much eliminated Gordon from the equation in the first half.  There was a reason why he wasn't being thrown to.  Later on, several of the catches that he did make, it looked like Talib was right there.  Sometimes, you just have to give credit to the receiver.  Considering the numbers that Gordon has put up this year, I would say Talib did ok.

[/QUOTE]

100% agree...my comments were clearly Gordon related, not Talib related. If you look at my "game observations" post, I also clearly stated that I thought Talib played a good game. I do think on the 80 yard TD, Talib or McCourty misplayed the route however. Reviewing the game on tape, Talib clearly played Gordon to the inside assuming over the top help, but McCourty crowded towards the LOS leaving Talib exposed over the top...either McCourty should have been there, or Talib should have jammed him not allowing the inside route so cleany 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Gordon-7 targets-7 rcpts

Jordan-10 targets-9 rcpts

total Jordan and Gordon-17 targets-16 rcpts (as outlined in the o/p via PFF)

go check the game stats

bludgeoned

[/QUOTE]

i agree w your Talib premise but the stat line i saw was:

Gordon: 7 grabs on 10 targets and Cameron was 9 of 9 for Rec. and targets. still a very bad ratio

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

There are two problems with this.  The first is that claiming they can break down every play without knowing the playcall is foolish at best.  The second is that they don't appear to have any way to control for playing time or difficulty of assingment.  Consider your example of Mayo and Spikes.  Spikes' grade is so high because he is excellent against the run and he usually comes off the field in obvious passing situations.  Mayo was/is a 3 down backer meaning he is on the field for every snap, is asked to do more than Spikes and his weaknesses aren't hidden by substitutions.  PFF grades have always been biased towards specialist players who are asked to fulfill a single role or easier assignments.

According to PFF Wilfork and Mayo were 2 of the least important players on defense.  Just watching this season reveals the stupidity of such a claim.  The fact that their coaches and peers disagree with PFF (both have been named to pro bowls, all pro teams and been in the top 100 players as voted by the players) should be enough evidence that PFF grades are not some sort of definitive answer to the quality of a player.  They can be useful, but far too many people on this board treat them as some sort of definitive rating.

[/QUOTE]

just said the same thing along with others