Something that needs to be considered in regards to FA's

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Something that needs to be considered in regards to FA's

The supporting cast and system.

Easiest example: Adalius Thomas. Looked good in Bal because he was playing with a bunch of great players on D, comes to NE and is meh.

Deion Branch goes from a Super Bowl MVP while playing with an All-Pro QB to a nobody in SEA.

Good player there doesn't necessarily mean a good player here.

Someone that I have some reservations about is Dashon Goldson. Before Harbaugh comes in, he's just a decent S who has to settle for a one year deal. After playing with Harbaugh, he's an All-Pro. I think Aldon Smith's arrival, along with Bowman's development, really helped Goldson as he plays behind one of the best, if not the best, front 7 in all of football. Think about it, Whitner, Rogers, and Goldson were all mediocre players before playing in SF. By 2012, they'll all been elected to at least one probowl.

I'm not saying Goldson is bad, because I've watched him play, and he looks pretty good. But if he came to NE, would he be the same player he's become in SF? He won't have that dominant front 7 to alleviate secondary pressure.

Just something to consider when people just start throwing out random FA's that they want BB to sign. Nnamdi goes from an All-Pro to All-Arrington by signing with PHI. FA's have to fit with the system and the group of players. They also have to be self-motivated...too many grow content after getting a big contract.

It's a risky business and am surprised so many people want the Pats to just starting signing these big name FA's left and right. Other than resigning your own players, I would say most big ticket FA's aren't worth the money spent on them

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from homeowner222. Show homeowner222's posts

Re: Something that needs to be considered in regards to FA's

All pro to all Arrington lol

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

In response to dapats1281's comment:

Easiest example: Adalius Thomas. Looked good in Bal because he was playing with a bunch of great players on D, comes to NE and is meh.

Deion Branch goes from a Super Bowl MVP while playing with an All-Pro QB to a nobody in SEA.

Someone that I have some reservations about is Dashon Goldson. Before Harbaugh comes in, he's just a decent S who has to settle for a one year deal. After playing with Harbaugh, he's an All-Pro. I think Aldon Smith's arrival, along with Bowman's development, really helped Goldson as he plays behind one of the best, if not the best, front 7 in all of football. Think about it, Whitner, Rogers, and Goldson were all mediocre players before playing in SF. By 2012, they'll all been elected to at least one probowl.

I'm not saying Goldson is bad, because I've watched him play, and he looks pretty good. But if he came to NE, would he be the same player he's become in SF? He won't have that dominant front 7 to alleviate secondary pressure.

Just something to consider when people just start throwing out random FA's that they want BB to sign. Nnamdi goes from an All-Pro to All-Arrington by signing with PHI. FA's have to fit with the system and the group of players. They also have to be self-motivated...too many grow content after getting a big contract.

It's a risky business and am surprised so many people want the Pats to just starting signing these big name FA's left and right. Other than resigning your own players, I would say most big ticket FA's aren't worth the money spent on them

Well spoken!!

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Agree...  It's  a risk just like a draft pick , but you gather info watch film and make a decision player by player. 

The vexing part IMO is the dicing up of the dollars.  How do you figure in 3 mil to ocho whatever liegh bodden got...   these these are average players at best.  The hits in FA are fewer than misses for sure.

one interesting point is that 2 of the best signings weren't FA, moss and Dillon were acquired by trade which bodes well for talib if he can freakn stay on the field.  ( they also had chip on their shoulder...)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

dapats,

I disagree, free agents are always worth the money.  

Sincerely,

John Lackey

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Get guys with attitude... Look at Brandon Marshall . He's amped up and part psycho with off field baggage,  but he delivers on the field.. .

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

TOTALLY AGREE with this - 100%.  ALL the more you should RE-SIGN Welker and keep him here.  You already know what you have with Welker - with Brady throwing to him.  It's a threat in football that can't be matched by any other tandem in this league! Period. 

I wish they did this with Seymour / Asante but don't want to open up this can of worms again...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

In response to NOISE's comment:

TOTALLY AGREE with this - 100%.  ALL the more you should RE-SIGN Welker and keep him here.  You already know what you have with Welker - with Brady throwing to him.  It's a threat in football that can't be matched by any other tandem in this league! Period. 

I wish they did this with Seymour / Asante but don't want to open up this can of worms again...

You just did...

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from brazilnut. Show brazilnut's posts

In response to DontQuestionBB's comment:

If the Pats want to win another SB, then they have too spend money and take a chance.  Brady's window is closing fast, and when he's gone so will be the Pats chances of getting back to a superbowl for a long time.

I agree completely.  Need to go all in, because I think realistically we only have two or,three years at best with Brady at the helm.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

In response to brazilnut's comment:

If the Pats want to win another SB, then they have too spend money and take a chance.  Brady's window is closing fast, and when he's gone so will be the Pats chances of getting back to a superbowl for a long time.

I agree completely.  Need to go all in, because I think realistically we only have two or,three years at best with Brady at the helm.

Bingo!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:

Get guys with attitude... Look at Brandon Marshall . He's amped up and part psycho with off field baggage,  but he delivers on the field.. .

I've seen Marshall play a couple times.   He's amazing. I'd love to see Brady throwing him footballs.  That would solve the O. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

Well since the Pats only have 4 picks this year in rounds 1-3 and 7th--they better hit on at least 2 picks and get some people to fill the needs thru free agency. Welker,(11 million cap hit if franchised), has to go-we have Hern, Gronk for the over the middle short to medium routes along with Varren/Woodhead--Pats need in order--Safety that can cover!, Deep threat WR, Pass rushing moster d lineman next to Vince and  OLB that can COVER, then one or 2 O lineman maulers that can RUN block. Brady also needs to extend and restucture his contract since this is the last year and his cap hit is 20 million.JMO

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

I disagree a bit. It's not like once Brady is gone the Pats chances are done. 49ers made the championship game with Smith. Look at the QBs in the league (Stafford, Wilson, Kaepernick, Ryan, Manning, Manning, Ryan, Rodgers, Brady, Manning, Luck, RG3, Flacco, Roethlisberger, Brees). Put a good team around those QBs, and I think each of them are capable of leading their teams to the Super Bowl. (This isn't including Rivers, Cutler and Newton who I all think have the potential).

This isn't the same league as it was 15 years ago when there were few franchise worthy QBs in the league. QBs coming out of college are more prepared for the game today...

I don't consider Flacco or Kaepernick top 5 QB's in the game. Can clearly still win the Super Bowl without one of the Elite Qbs. No need to be knee jerk and overpay for FA's who can hurt the team's long term stability. We aren't the Redskins! People forget how long it took for the Patriots core to develop to a Super Bowl caliber team back in '01. I think the Pats are on the right path.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:

In response to coolade2's comment:

I've seen Marshall play a couple times.   He's amazing. I'd love to see Brady throwing him footballs.  That would solve the O. 

Except Marshall was just traded to WR thin Chicago. Would be surprised if he leaves the Bears. He loves Cutler!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to NOISE's comment:

seriously? its a threat that god defenses beat every offseason.

take a pair of legit wr's ie giants or balt's receivers and you win playoff games (that and you have a legit off coordinator)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to jimmytantric's comment:

Well since the Pats only have 4 picks this year in rounds 1-3 and 7th--they better hit on at least 2 picks and get some people to fill the needs thru free agency. Welker,(11 million cap hit if franchised), has to go-we have Hern, Gronk for the over the middle short to medium routes along with Varren/Woodhead--Pats need in order--Safety that can cover!, Deep threat WR, Pass rushing moster d lineman next to Vince and  OLB that can COVER, then one or 2 O lineman maulers that can RUN block. Brady also needs to extend and restucture his contract since this is the last year and his cap hit is 20 million.JMO

change the order and add one starting cb and im with on all that.

# 1 through #10 is a de pass rushing fiend. big outside wr. big cb. and yes ive outlined the same needs over the laast 2 months as the ones you have above.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

my sentiment 2 years ago (maybe 5 years, try to get 2-3 rings).

bb flubbed it up first not improving pass rush till this year; cb not till atorcious season (talib) and most lethal to ending our sb run this year and last, insisting on not hiring top coaches starting with off coord.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

It is not exactly as some here state. Some of the difference, whether with defensive players or WRs, is that they come in here and have to play in this system. It is not best suited to everyone. For example, if a player is best when playing especially aggressively (Thomas perhaps) and he is then asked to play a read in a relatively more comlpex scheme his best assets as a player are taken away. Some guys can make that change. Some cannot. We all know who some of those players who have not been able to are.