Sopoaga and Chung an "egregrious" error

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Sopoaga and Chung an "egregrious" error

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports/patriots/content/20131031-nt-sopoaga-being-called-an-egregrious-error-in-philadelphia.ece

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHAMPSXLVIII. Show CHAMPSXLVIII's posts

Re: Sopoaga and Chung an

Patrick Bu.ng stinks

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHAMPSXLVIII. Show CHAMPSXLVIII's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Without reading this author, is that Providence Journal guy who bashes BB mercliessly? I think his name is Donaldson.

Is it him?

If it is, disregard the piece because it's an anti-BB induced piece.

[/QUOTE]

it is but he is quoting a philadelphia sports writer

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHAMPSXLVIII. Show CHAMPSXLVIII's posts

[QUOTE]

Yep. Just clicked on it.  It is Donaldson.  LOL

I knew it. He writes very misleading pieces when tied to anything BB does.   He's the Borges of the Providence Journal.

Philly went to a 3-4 before Chip Kelly arrived and you cannot run it overnight. They had bad personnel in there with Cullen Jenkins in 2011 and the surrounding parts.   It's one reason Roseman should be taking more heat than Andy Reid or any player they signed. It's a scheme problem.

I don't see what they did this year at DE to improve the 3-4. Connor Barwin has some 3-4 potential, but no experience in it coming from Houston.  Brandan Graham has been a bust.  

So, using the 3-4 itself was a mistake. They should have gone to a 4-3 instead and only used a little 3-4. Swapping out Jenkins for Sopoaga isn't going to do anything. The DE 3-4 roles are as vital as the NT itself.

This Eagles Hayes tool analyst/beatwriter is clueless.

That's a GM mistake, not a player or talent mistake at NT/DT.  SF had no issues using the 4-3 with only sporadic 3-4 use, with Sopoaga playing just fine there.

And of course paying Chung 4 million per was a mistake. He's a sub/swing Safety at best.

[/QUOTE]

I thought Brandon Gzraham was going to be a really good player- was it just injuries that derailed him

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

Phillly beatwriter and Jim Donaldson exposed by me:

[/QUOTE]

A Philly and a Providence writer just got beat down by a guy who spends his whole life posting on a Boston newspaper message board.

Get yourself a crown, Rusty.  You sure are the man.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHAMPSXLVIII. Show CHAMPSXLVIII's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Phillly beatwriter and Jim Donaldson exposed by me:

[/QUOTE]

A Philly and a Providence writer just got beat down by a guy who spends his whole life posting on a Boston newspaper message board.

Get yourself a crown, Rusty.  You sure are the man.

[/QUOTE]

ZING!!!

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

Without reading this author, is that Providence Journal guy who bashes BB mercliessly? I think his name is Donaldson.

Is it him?

If it is, disregard the piece because it's an anti-BB induced piece.

[/QUOTE]

We're all sure you didn't "read the author", because, you know, "you're so honest". LMAO@U

You are; the fool called Megatool!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

Yep. Just clicked on it.  It is Donaldson.  LOL

I knew it. He writes very misleading pieces when tied to anything BB does.   He's the Borges of the Providence Journal.

[/QUOTE]

Ahhh, he is referring to what the Philly writer said moron. You are hopelessly stupid.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

LMAO@ Philly for guaranteeing Chung anything over 10 cents. $4 mil? No wonder they are in steep decline. Whoever made that deal should be fired on the spot, and slapped.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Donaldson is notorious for constantly taking the unpopular oppositional view on pretty much everything just to get noticed.  

Pats stink when it comes to drafting defensive backs with early round picks:  Chung, Butler, Ras I,  Wheatley, Meriweather, not to mention absolute disasters from earlier years: Canty, R. Smith.  Ryan and Harmon TBD.  and the all time dumbest pick - Tavon Wilson.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

LMAO@ Philly for guaranteeing Chung anything over 10 cents. $4 mil? No wonder they are in steep decline. Whoever made that deal should be fired on the spot, and slapped.

[/QUOTE]

But look at this contract:

Cornerback Kyle Arrington's contract has officially been filed, and it's a four-year, $16 million deal with a $6.5 million signing bonus and $8 million in guaranteed money. OUCH!

Cornerback Kyle Arrington's contract has officially been filed, and it's a four-year, $16 million deal with a $6.5 million signing bonus and $8 million in guaranteed money. - See more at: http://bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/the_blitz/2013/03/breaking_down_kyle_arringtons_contract#sthash.DwhbrNv8.dpuf Cornerback Kyle Arrington's contract has officially been filed, and it's a four-year, $16 million deal with a $6.5 million signing bonus and $8 million in guaranteed money. - See more at: http://bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/the_blitz/2013/03/breaking_down_kyle_arringtons_contract#sthash.DwhbrNv8.dpuf

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to melswitt's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to CHAMPSXLVIII's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I thought Brandon Gzraham was going to be a really good player- was it just injuries that derailed him

[/QUOTE]

NO...it was a distinct lack of pro talent...they are doing the old "Jermaine Cunningham" with him, drafted him way too high after all the U of Michigan hype and will now do anything to keep from cutting him to avoid admitting they made a mistake with a high draft choice.

[/QUOTE]

Maybe, but wasn't it the previous regime that drafted him? You wouldn't think they'd be so concerned about the optics.

As for the notion that Soap and Chung were "egregious errors," sure they were. Anytime you sign a guy and give him guaranteed money and he doesn't pan out, it's a big mistake. Not sure why as a Patriots fan I care about the Eagles and their screwups?

The Pats got this guy for nothing and it seems he can at least clog up the middle and take up two gaps worth of space on running downs. He's an innings eater, not a Cy Young candidate. You need those guys too. Eagles loss, Pats gain. Good.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

Here is the source article from philly.com:

http://www.philly.com/philly/columnists/marcus_hayes/20131031_Sopoaga_another_Eagles_mistake.html

He is a nose tackle and has just one sack in 38 games and 10 tackles so far this season is the main complaint. Those numbers are not really the metric for NT's. Most of them are low in those categories.

Considering he will be a role player on running downs no one cares about sacks. He is there to limit the push up the middle.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I don't actually care about Chung.  Wrong conference. 

Soap started on the 2011 and 2012 San Francisco 49ers teams that went deep into the playoffs.  Nice history!  Since signing his latest free agent contract, he has been playing only 39% of the snaps for the Eagles.  His always-modest tackling numbers are proportionally down in 2013 from his SF years. 

The only thing troubling me is a Philly news report that Soap could be washed out by a single blocker on a running play.  On the other hand, he never could tackle runners well, just hold the point. 

I wonder if Soap was playing injured earlier this season.  If so, I wonder if he'll get a bit better.  Best guess, he's a true bargain right now.  Otherwise he'll be released from Foxboro in (wild guess) a week.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

who cares about the article. The bottom line (like another poster pointed out) is we got Sopoaga for about 15 positions in the draft. Great deal for us. Sopoaga may have been a mistake fro Philly but thats becaseu they brought him in and paid him good money to include the signing bonus. Like buying a brand new car, they took all the depreciation, and then traded it to us 6 months later!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to Quagmire3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

who cares about the article. The bottom line (like another poster pointed out) is we got Sopoaga for about 15 positions in the draft. Great deal for us. Sopoaga may have been a mistake fro Philly but thats becaseu they brought him in and paid him good money to include the signing bonus. Like buying a brand new car, they took all the depreciation, and then traded it to us 6 months later!

[/QUOTE]

Depends.  The Patriots need DL help. If Sopoaga ends up being a JAG (aka, Haynesworth) would that be considered a good or bad thing regardless of how he was acquired or for how much?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to anonymis' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Depends.  The Patriots need DL help. If Sopoaga ends up being a JAG (aka, Haynesworth) would that be considered a good or bad thing regardless of how he was acquired or for how much?

[/QUOTE]

But he is a JAG, that's the expectation. Anybody expecting more might be disappointed, but why would you be expecting more? He's never been a great player, he was a JAG in Philly and he'll be one here. A JAG at that position is OK, it's useful. He cost literally nothing. They said "here, you take him."

Haynesworth cost something and he did not live up to expectations and he came with a lot of fanfare and noise. These situations are 180 degreees different.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

But he is a JAG, that's the expectation. Anybody expecting more might be disappointed, but why would you be expecting more? He's never been a great player, he was a JAG in Philly and he'll be one here. A JAG at that position is OK, it's useful. He cost literally nothing. They said "here, you take him."

Haynesworth cost something and he did not live up to expectations and he came with a lot of fanfare and noise. These situations are 180 degreees different.

[/QUOTE]

If we cut him after this season, he costs $1 million in dead money next year, and if we keep him he'll count $3.75 million against the cap unless we can restructure his deal.  So there's a small amount of cost/risk for the Pats.  Still, I like the deal.  For one, I think we need a big body in the middle desperately this year; and two, I think he gives us another option for next year at a position where we are rebuilding and do have a need for depth.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If we cut him after this season, he costs $1 million in dead money next year, and if we keep him he'll count $3.75 million against the cap unless we can restructure his deal.  So there's a small amount of cost/risk for the Pats.  Still, I like the deal.  For one, I think we need a big body in the middle desperately this year; and two, I think he gives us another option for next year at a position where we are rebuilding and do have a need for depth.  

[/QUOTE]

Yes, he will cost a few cap dollars. I was referring more to what they gave Philly to get him, which is negligible.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

with all our injures even a JAG is going to help the DL, if for no other reason than it gives Vellano and Chris Jones a breather! Last game Jones palyed every Defensive snap.

P.S. Trivia; Chandler Jones only has 1.5 more sacks this year than Chris Jones. Give him a breather every now and then and I expect he will be even better.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes, he will cost a few cap dollars. I was referring more to what they gave Philly to get him, which is negligible.

[/QUOTE]

Agree.  It's a fine deal.  Not risk free, but good given the circumstances.  

I'm not 100% confident Kelly will be back, as well.  If Kelly doesn't come back, this deal makes even more sense.  

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

[QUOTE]
    with all our injures even a JAG is going to help the DL, if for no other reason than it gives Vellano and Chris Jones a breather! Last game Jones palyed every Defensive snap.

P.S. Trivia; Chandler Jones only has 1.5 more sacks this year than Chris Jones. Give him a breather every now and then and I expect he will be even better.

[/QUOTE]

I hear what you're saying, but if there was someone who could actually make an impact vs. just getting by...

25. This post has been removed.