Source close to Brady keeps complaining about Pats

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Source close to Brady keeps complaining about Pats

Source close to Brady keeps complaining about Pats

Posted by Mike Florio on March 13, 2013, 9:24 PM EDT Indianapolis Colts v New England PatriotsGetty Images

In the aftermath of the news that the Patriots lost receiver Wes Welker to the Broncos, a source close to New England quarterback Tom Brady was “beyond enraged” by the news.

Another (or perhaps the same) source close to Brady continues to talk after the decision to replace Welker with Danny Amendola.  And the source close to Brady isn’t very happy.

“He’s got so much pressure on his shoulders now — again,” the source close to Brady told Mike Silver of Yahoo! Sports. “If the offense doesn’t perform at a high level, they’re screwed.  This is unbelievable.  It’s hard not to feel like they’ve sold him out.”

It’s easy to understand that sentiment.  Two weeks and two days after Brady agreed to a contract extension that created $15 million in cap space over the next two years, the Pats refused to spend $12 million of it on Welker.

The end result, per the source close to Brady, is that Brady “will feel like he’s been pierced in the heart.”

That’s a little extreme.  After all, the Patriots won three Super Bowls without Welker, and they’ve won none with him.  They continue to have an aggressive, versatile offense, and they’ll surely continue to be serious contenders in the AFC.

Still, with all the hype regarding the question of whether and to what extent Brady “took less” and whether the Patriots would parlay that gesture into a decision to keep players like Welker around, it’s hard not to wonder whether Brady will be upset.

We already know that one or more sources close to him are.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Re: Source close to Brady keeps complaining about Pats

I would say Gisele

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

I am trying to figure out who this is....Any ideas?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

Not really understanding how replacing Welker with Amendola relieves any pressure from Brady. They added a younger, more athletic and more versatile weapon to the offense that will help them short term and longterm. 

But the source was talking as if he wanted to see defense arrive... or that Brady wanted defense to arrive. I would agree with that wholeheartedly, but I don't see how the Welker/Amendola thing has any bearing on that. They're both offensive players.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

The source is his pizza delivery guy.  

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

I dont think they "sold him out", I dont think Bob Kraft would do that. More likely they just chose to go in a different direction, and are not done yet. Im sure all this was discussed with Tom beforehand. Its not his fault or Kratf's that most media outlets and fans interpreted the renegotiation as making room for Welker. Maybe they were making room for someone else? Amendola is a nice start, but Im sure there will be more moves. He can replace Welker IF he can stay healthy. Amendola is a solid receiver, similar if not better to what Welker was when he got here. The real need for a burner to stretch the field is still basically unfilled though IMO. Although I think Amendola is probably quicker than Welker, I think the Pats still need someone longer and faster.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKing's comment:

It's comical to me that this Michael Silver character has immediate updates mere minutes after the announcement was made.

It sounds made up.

I don't doubt Brady felt if he restructured via an extension he thought that would help the team get Welker in there, but Brady also has no clue about the business side of the league.

If these quotes are true, it makes Brady look like a whiny, spoiled baby which is a fear of mine as a fan of this team, and basically prove what I've been saying all along.

I applaud BB for making the divorce happen, to be honest. Welker could be here through 2013 at million. Instead he's in Denver by choice at 6 million.

No one is above the team, including Brady.

These comments are coming from someone near Brady and don't necessarily reflect Brady's feelings. Slow your roll, Rusty. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

It's comical to me that this Michael Silver character has immediate updates mere minutes after the announcement was made.

It sounds made up.

I don't doubt Brady felt if he restructured via an extension he thought that would help the team get Welker in there, but Brady also has no clue about the business side of the league.

If these quotes are true, it makes Brady look like a whiny, spoiled baby which is a fear of mine as a fan of this team, and basically prove what I've been saying all along.

I applaud BB for making the divorce happen, to be honest. Welker could be here through 2013 at million. Instead he's in Denver by choice at 6 million.

I basically agree, though I doubt Brady is as mad as this article projects. I also doubt this came as a total surprise to him. I like Welker, but hes getting slower. Notice how many times he got caught from behind in the open field this year? The drops at crucial moments were also wearing on me personally. He may burn us, IDK, but IMO it was time to move on. That being said, there is still a gaping hole at WR on this team, even with Amedola on board, and there still would have been if it was Welker instead of him.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I think what Brady is worried about is that on a third and seven he will look towards the slot and Amendola won't be there, because he very well may be on the sidelines nursing a foot or leg injury. 

I think Amendola is a good player...I do. I also think he won't play unless he is close to 100%. I can't picture Belichick liking that very much.

12/11/12 - WR Danny Amendola (heel) has a chance to play in Sunday's game against Minnesota. Said coach Jeff Fisher, "Danny tried to go. He was much better than he was last week, but we just felt it would make sense that we waited another week. I think he's got a much better chance this week. It's a foot injury that still needs to heal. Danny needs to be close to 100 percent to be effective -- to be able to protect himself, particularly."

^^I can't picture Belichick being as understanding.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tman0325. Show tman0325's posts

Tom relax if you are the man you will be fine, this is a faster and younger Wes Welker. 

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to dreighver's comment:

It sounds made up.

These comments are coming from someone near Brady and don't necessarily reflect Brady's feelings. Slow your roll, Rusty. 

I agree. I am not sure I even believe the quotes.

Maybe the source close to Brady was Giselle? Hahaha.....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

If we see it, BB sees it. And, it's not personal. I actually think this is an upgrade in some ways.

Positives include:

Youth

Cheaper

Less guaranteed money

It's a very team friendly deal.  The idea is to win the SB, not cater to Brady's relationships.

Word was he was ticked off after BB dealt Branch, too. I get it, but at least BB got him someone who is bascially the same receiver here as Wes.   It's a luxury to have even had Wes here for 6 years. That's a long time in the cap era.

This

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to tman0325's comment:

Tom relax if you are the man you will be fine, this is a faster and younger Wes Welker. 

doesn't do much good if he's not on the field. Don't forget Edelman was younger and more athletic too

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from laurienyc13. Show laurienyc13's posts

Who's the source? I just don't see Brady saying this, it just isn't his style..

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I think what Brady is worried about is that on a third and seven he will look towards the slot and Amendola won't be there, because he very well may be on the sidelines nursing a foot or leg injury. 

I think Amendola is a good player...I do. I also think he won't play unless he is close to 100%. I can't picture Belichick liking that very much.

12/11/12 - WR Danny Amendola (heel) has a chance to play in Sunday's game against Minnesota. Said coach Jeff Fisher, "Danny tried to go. He was much better than he was last week, but we just felt it would make sense that we waited another week. I think he's got a much better chance this week. It's a foot injury that still needs to heal. Danny needs to be close to 100 percent to be effective -- to be able to protect himself, particularly."

12/16/2013: Amendola caught 6 balls for 58 yards and a TD, and returned 3 punts as well.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to MattC05's comment:

12/16/2013: Amendola caught 6 balls for 58 yards and a TD, and returned 3 punts as well.

A master stroke. Ouch! Nicely done.....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

And BTW, that was what Fisher said to the media. Who knows what he said to Amendola! Fisher doesnt exactly strike me as a soft touch.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Dude, Aaron Hernandez is basically a slot guy wth Gronk and Ballard on the roster.  I wouldn't be shocked if Amendola lines up some on the outside. He has a bit bigger size than Welker.

People get too fixated on where people line up.  You're BBW problem is really a problem. LOL

On 3rd and 7, he can be looking for someone other than Welker in the future. It hasn't gotten us a SB title.

14-17 points and 20 Welker targets, has been sucky.

Disagree...he's a slot guy. No one in the league has caught more balls closer to the line of scrimmage than Danny. If you thought Welker was a dink and dunk receiver, wait to you see this guy. He has virtually the same deep speed as Welker too. This is not a Brian Hartline type (who by the way signed virtually the same contract we just gave Amendola).

I'll say this, Amendola has a great set of hands and will be very productive if he can stay healthy. He will be twice the player that Hartline will be...again, if he is healthy, but this guy doesn't stay healthy.

I'm not saying we should of kept Welker for four years, but two? A chance to keep a tough, productive, talented and reliable player for two years at a reasonable price? That's a no brainer - even if he did have two terrible drops in the playoffs - something went wrong today...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to MattC05's comment:

He also had zero catches, zero touchdowns and zero punt returns the previous three weeks while he was icing his foot. So one month of production resulted in six catches for 58 yards and one touchdown, that averages out to 1.5 catches per game during the most important month of the season...and 1/4 touchdown...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

My source says your source is wrong.  To complicate matters, my source's source said they are both wrong.  My spaghetti sauce is as reliable as your source.

and don't get saucy with me, Bearnaise!