Sources: Bill O'Brien to coach Penn St.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonFan95. Show BostonFan95's posts

Sources: Bill O'Brien to coach Penn St.

New England Patriots offensive coordinator Bill O'Brien has agreed to become the coach at Penn State Nittany Lions, according to sources.

The Nittany Lions plan to make the move official with an announcement Saturday, the sources said. 

Terms of the deal are unknown.

Chris Mortensen is a senior NFL analyst for ESPN. 
    -Sources Say - ESPN http://es.pn/zAyfpn

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Re: Sources: Bill O'Brien to coach Penn St.

In Response to Sources: Bill O'Brien to coach Penn St.:
    [QUOTE]New England Patriots offensive coordinator Bill O'Brien has agreed to become the coach at Penn State Nittany Lions, according to sources. The Nittany Lions plan to make the move official with an announcement Saturday, the sources said.  Terms of the deal are unknown. Chris Mortensen is a senior NFL analyst for ESPN.  -Sources Say - ESPN http://es.pn/zAyfpn
    Posted by BostonFan95[/QUOTE]

Great!  He better have his head in the game here for the next month.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

KOKO THE MONKEY GETS HIS BANANA ...! One desperado team gets its desperado coach. FIRE HIM BEFORE HIS FEET TOUCH THE GROUND...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Welker47. Show Brady2Welker47's posts

According to what I've read...O'Brien will not be with the team for their playoff run.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

If we don't win the Superbowl, I'm blaming him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SANPAT. Show SANPAT's posts

In response to "Re: Sources: Bill O'Brien to coach Penn St.": [QUOTE]According to what I've read...O'Brien will not be with the team for their playoff run. Posted by null[/QUOTE] No sir. Adam shefter just tweeted he will coach patriots in playoffs. After that dont let the door hit you in the backside.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonFan95. Show BostonFan95's posts

In Response to Re: Sources: Bill O'Brien to coach Penn St.:
    [QUOTE]According to what I've read...O'Brien will not be with the team for their playoff run.
    Posted by null[/QUOTE]

Penn State plans to make the announcement on Saturday. 
    Charlie Weis waited until the end of the playoffs before leaving for the Notre Dame job back in 2004, so precedent suggests O'Brien will stick around for another month.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Sources: Bill O'Brien to coach Penn St.:
    [QUOTE]New England Patriots offensive coordinator Bill O'Brien has agreed to become the coach at Penn State Nittany Lions, according to sources. The Nittany Lions plan to make the move official with an announcement Saturday, the sources said.  Terms of the deal are unknown. Chris Mortensen is a senior NFL analyst for ESPN.  -Sources Say - ESPN http://es.pn/zAyfpn
    Posted by BostonFan95[/QUOTE]

Yep:
    http://espn.go.com/boston/story/_/id/7430206/bill-obrien-agrees-penn-state-nittany-lions-coach-sources-say

Not good timing for this move for the Pats.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Charlie Weis coached in 5 super bowls before pulling this move, as in , HE EARNED IT This CHUMP is so overrated its not funny. Penn st is obviously DESPERATE having other coaches turn them down . I'm wondering how many Steelers fans may have been involved with this decision who enjoy the disruptive aspect for the pats...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from gandalf433. Show gandalf433's posts

[QUOTE]Charlie Weis coached in 5 super bowls before pulling this move, as in , HE EARNED IT This CHUMP is so overrated its not funny. Penn st is obviously DESPERATE having other coaches turn them down . I'm wondering how many Steelers fans may have been involved with this decision who enjoy the disruptive aspect for the pats...
    Posted by coolade2[/QUOTE]

CoolAde: Where's the continuity? You say this guy is worthless but then say this exit is disruptive. How can a useless OC be disruptive is he already useless? 
    How can this guy be disruptive if he doesn't call the plays? If he is so terrible then the players and other staff will appreciate that he is gone. 

You can't have it both ways. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

He's a chump for his actions and the pompous attitude which goes along with going for this job now and not after the season. As I have stated in numerous posts his performance as OC is a work in progress that has shown some improvement with the goal being eliminating the obvious mistakes. Black Monday happens after the season for instance. I haven't heard a rational explanation as to why this couldn't wait into February except that it's "convenient" during a bye week. For who? Not for this team who now have a lame duck OC who has his prize without finishing anything. This next playoff game is the biggest of his career and now its oh well I'm out of here anyway... Compared to Weis he hasn't done squat. You can't argue with that .

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from gandalf433. Show gandalf433's posts

[QUOTE]He's a chump for his actions and the pompous attitude which goes along with going for this job now and not after the season. As I have stated in numerous posts his performance as OC is a work in progress that has shown some improvement with the goal being eliminating the obvious mistakes. Black Monday happens after the season for instance. I haven't heard a rational explanation as to why this couldn't wait into February except that it's "convenient" during a bye week. For who? Not for this team who now have a lame duck OC who has his prize without finishing anything. This next playoff game is the biggest of his career and now its oh well I'm out of here anyway... Compared to Weis he hasn't done squat. You can't argue with that .

Coolade: We agree on something.... O'Brien cannot compare to Weiss. 

The world according to CoolAde is an interesting world. Have you heard anyone of repute, any football analyst anywhere, speak ill of this process? 

I repeat (and I imagine I will have to repeat again). This is SOP in the NFL. It happens every year. Why are you railing against SOP? Seems to me you despise Bill OB so much that you can't see the forest through the trees. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mighty2012. Show mighty2012's posts

I thought O'Brien was singlehandedly responsible for every bad play that ever happened in New England?  Why didn't Penn State listen to the experts on this forum?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

BTW , what other industry allows employees to shop their talents while under contract ? If a boss is aware of a dissatisfied or uncommitted employee how does that work out? What if a player did it? I'm moss and my contract is running out..." Hey Bill, I'm going for an interview with rex Ryan.." The hypocrisy is moss was considered "disruptive", and traded. Hypocrisy usually doesn't sell too well in a locker room...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from gandalf433. Show gandalf433's posts

[QUOTE]BTW , what other industry allows employees to shop their talents while under contract ? If a boss is aware of a dissatisfied or uncommitted employee how does that work out? What if a player did it? I'm moss and my contract is running out..." Hey Bill, I'm going for an interview with rex Ryan.." The hypocrisy is moss was considered "disruptive", and traded. Hypocrisy usually doesn't sell too well in a locker room...

CoolAde: I'm going to start treating you like my wife.  

You're right. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Look, a million people hate this decision including your wife, (and she sounds smart to me BTW). I just happen to be able to articulate why, and that bothers you. Why don't you answer the question why this couldn't wait til February and whether or not you consider this disruptive ?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

Reading the comments from PSU players and fans.  Doesn't sound like they approve of O'Brien.  Appears as though they want to keep everything the same at PSU.  No outsiders, just keep hiding everything.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to "Re: Sources: Bill O'Brien to coach Penn St.": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sources: Bill O'Brien to coach Penn St. : Coolade: We agree on something.... O'Brien cannot compare to Weiss.  The world according to CoolAde is an interesting world. Have you heard anyone of repute, any football analyst anywhere, speak ill of this process?  I repeat (and I imagine I will have to repeat again). This is SOP in the NFL. It happens every year. Why are you railing against SOP? Seems to me you despise Bill OB so much that you can't see the forest through the trees.  Posted by gandalf433[/QUOTE] It's also SOP in the NFL every year that teams lose in the playoffs ... And decisions made by chumps like O'Brien are often the reason why...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sources: Bill O'Brien to coach Penn St. : CoolAde: I'm going to start treating you like my wife.   You're right. 
    Posted by gandalf433[/QUOTE]
    Now that's funny!!

I know it's SOP, and it happens every year. Personally I'm not a fan of Obrien, so I'm ok with the move. However, does he have any motivation to win another game in New England now that he has his future job locked up?

Standard procedure or not, this deal can't possibly help him win in the playoffs. I would think that 100% of a coaches time from here until gameday would be coming up with the perfect plan to be a force in the post season...but he's human, and will most certainly be thinking about the future which will be a distraction for (HIM).

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In response to "Re: Sources: Bill O'Brien to coach Penn St.": [QUOTE]Look, a million people hate this decision including your wife, (and she sounds smart to me BTW). I just happen to be able to articulate why, and that bothers you. Why don't you answer the question why this couldn't wait til February and whether or not you consider this disruptive ? Posted by coolade2[/QUOTE] Because college recruitment season is now and a team without a HC will have lost out on every good recruit by the time the SB is over. Right now the other coaches are chatting up prospects and are way ahead, the HC isn't just selling the product, he is the product. The top recruits want a guy who can get them to the NFL and nobody will sign up when they don't know what their role on the team is. At least now his assistants can start recruiting some of the players he wants and he can call the recruits in his off time. If the Pats didn't let Obrien talk to other jobs they'd be screwing themselves. If Obrien didn't take the job now, they would give it to someone else and Obrien would likely still leave after the season for an NFL team. Position coaches want to be coordinators and coordinators want to be HC's and if the Pats made it known that they would interfere with moving up then they would not attract any promising young or experienced coaches.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from fessin. Show fessin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sources: Bill O'Brien to coach Penn St. : Now that's funny!! I know it's SOP, and it happens every year. Personally I'm not a fan of Obrien, so I'm ok with the move. However, does he have any motivation to win another game in New England now that he has his future job locked up? Standard procedure or not, this deal can't possibly help him win in the playoffs. I would think that 100% of a coaches time from here until gameday would be coming up with the perfect plan to be a force in the post season...but he's human, and will most certainly be thinking about the future which will be a distraction for (HIM).
    Posted by tanbass[/QUOTE]

Does he have any motivation to win another game in New England?? That is one of the dumbest questions I've read (and we all know that there are alot of dumb questions and comments on this forum). 

Maybe trying to win a Superbowl is one of them?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to "Re: Sources: Bill O'Brien to coach Penn St.": [QUOTE]In response to "Re: Sources: Bill O'Brien to coach Penn St.": Because college recruitment season is now and a team without a HC will have lost out on every good recruit by the time the SB is over. Right now the other coaches are chatting up prospects and are way ahead, the HC isn't just selling the product, he is the product. The top recruits want a guy who can get them to the NFL and nobody will sign up when they don't know what their role on the team is. At least now his assistants can start recruiting some of the players he wants and he can call the recruits in his off time. If the Pats didn't let Obrien talk to other jobs they'd be screwing themselves. If Obrien didn't take the job now, they would give it to someone else and Obrien would likely still leave after the season for an NFL team. Position coaches want to be coordinators and coordinators want to be HC's and if the Pats made it known that they would interfere with moving up then they would not attract any promising young or experienced coaches. Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE] Your post reads true, but it just leads back to WHY O'BRIEN ? He looks even less qualified with that taken into account . Unless he's fired all he will contribute to that crucial recruiting will be at best a part-time half a$sed effort. what is the extent of his recruiting experience for that matter?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

I'm fine with the move. What has me cracking up s all the Penn State alumni crying about he is not a Penn state guy. Hello that is what is needed here, becuase some of the Penn state guys liked little boys and the rest of the Penn state guys didn't do anything about it! So you Penn state alumni and fans need to think about the kids that were scared for life from this low life and the rest who looked the other way. Good luck Bill O.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In response to "Re: Sources: Bill O'Brien to coach Penn St.": [QUOTE]In response to "Re: Sources: Bill O'Brien to coach Penn St.": Your post reads true, but it just leads back to WHY O'BRIEN ? He looks even less qualified with that taken into account . Unless he's fired all he will contribute to that crucial recruiting will be at best a part-time half a$sed effort. what is the extent of his recruiting experience for that matter? Posted by coolade2[/QUOTE] He has college coaching experience. Why Obrien? I don't know, considering the offense hasn't really changed that much in terms of getting better or worse between any of the OCs I certainly wouldn't expect anything from him. I'd agree that it's not so much that he is great but the fact that I don't like having to find a new OC and another year or two of growing pains. Yes, it will be a half arsed recruiting job but obviously some people got it in their head that he was worth a HC job and once that's done there's really nothing anybody can do about it. If they fight it he's still leaving when his contract runs out next month. Personally, I can't see any reason to go after him and I think he needs a couple more years as an OC or he'll be McDaniels 2 but it's Penn stated mistake to make.