Spikes put on IR due to being late to meetings

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

Re: Spikes put on IR due to being late to meetings

In response to TFB12's comment:

Goodbye Brandon Spikes!  I really liked the attitude he brought to the defense, and he could stuff a run.  I know he was super slow in the passing game but I really enjoyed watching him play, he seemed to have a very good relationship with Mr. Kraft.  This kind of sucks.

Can we get on last goodbye wave Brandon Spikes......

'

Dude just wasn't versatile enough from the beginning. Collins will make us all forget about him. NOBODY is above the team, especially a habitually tardy, one dimensional player. PERIOD. Shoulda cut him for not being able to dance a lick! C-YA Brandon, your fellow Gator needs a pen pal anyways!

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

the best thing about SPikes was he would get crank on plays that he didn't even make the play or tackle. I LOVED that. you know that has to rub off on the other guys around him

If he does indeed go, his fire and attitude on the field will be missed. along with his huge hits

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kevin13130. Show kevin13130's posts

In response to DeadAhead2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to kevin13130's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If this is true, fine. It's not that big of a deal since Spikes was clearly hurt too. It's not like BB put a healthy guy on IR.

If this is fabricated/unverified, then 1) what a pathetic attempt to mess with the Pats, and 2) Morty should be fired.

[/QUOTE]

I forgot which story it was about 2 years ago, but he completely lied/fabricated a story he made up by connecting multiple things together and guessing, and was forced to apologize on the air.

It probably saved his job.

Personally, I don;t think this stuff should be tolerated by the Pats organization.  

[/QUOTE]

Well, if he did it once, I don't think he'd do it again. Not if he values his job at all.

I think more likely Belichick put Spikes on IR because he's hobbled, and since he's a pending FA, neither side wants to jeopardize his future. If he tears an ACL, he's basically out of a job next year and maybe beyond.

It's plausible to me that Spikes "agreed" to go on IR despite maybe being able to continue playing. I doubt BB snapped cause Spikes missed a meeting. Even if Mort's story is true, I think there's a lot more to it. It's no wonder Bill hates the media.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Hey rust...couple of things...

Spikes did NOT workout here in the offsoeasn, do you think Belichick liked that?

Spikes went to the media and told them about his knee injury (that doesn't need surgery), do you think he liked that?

Spikes was late to last Friday's practice, do you think Belichick liked that?

Spikes had two weeks to rest up his knee and gut it out for a playoff game...hell they could of held him out a playoff game and seen if he could of made it back for the AFC Championship game (that would of gave the knee three weeks of rest)...yet they didn't do that...instead he ir'd him three days later?? This sound like a Belichick move? To tell the Colts their starting linebacker will not be playing and they don't have to game plan for him five days before the game??? Makes no sense.

Dobson hasn't practiced in weeks...he will not play today, yet they are keeping him around on the off chance he might be able to play if we go far enough in the playoffs...they've done that with other players too over the years, yet not for Spikes after he was late?? Hmmm.

I DO think Belichick has indeed, in fact had enough of Brandon Spikes. If not then he will try to resign him...let's see if he does.

I watched Spikes run half speed in training camp like I've never seen anyone do in all the times I've been down there. The guy looked like he was 20 pounds overweight. This guy was so out of shape in the opening game of the season that it was a disgrace. I'm pretty sure Belichick has seen enough.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

the best thing about SPikes was he would get crank on plays that he didn't even make the play or tackle. I LOVED that. you know that has to rub off on the other guys around him

If he does indeed go, his fire and attitude on the field will be missed. along with his huge hits

Joe, Spikes was intense as a player, but he is by no means a leader on this team and has shown lapses in responsibility both on and off of the field. He does not fit. Good hitter, great cheerleader, but truly a liability on the field aside straight short yardage run situations. To me, he was a DT outta postion anyways....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcherbrook. Show Fletcherbrook's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Good player.  Brought an energy and intensity and is one of the best run stuffing MLBers in the entire league. Playmaker.

I knew something was wrong this year and he toughed it out.

[/QUOTE]

Or course you did.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

[QUOTE]

If this is true, fine. It's not that big of a deal since Spikes was clearly hurt too. It's not like BB put a healthy guy on IR.

If this is fabricated/unverified, then 1) what a pathetic attempt to mess with the Pats, and 2) Morty should be fired.

I forgot which story it was about 2 years ago, but he completely lied/fabricated a story he made up by connecting multiple things together and guessing, and was forced to apologize on the air.

Personally, I don;t think this stuff should be tolerated by the Pats organization.  

Well, if he did it once, I don't think he'd do it again. Not if he values his job at all.

I think more likely Belichick put Spikes on IR because he's hobbled, and since he's a pending FA, neither side wants to jeopardize his future. If he tears an ACL, he's basically out of a job next year and maybe beyond.

It's plausible to me that Spikes "agreed" to go on IR despite maybe being able to continue playing. I doubt BB snapped cause Spikes missed a meeting. Even if Mort's story is true, I think there's a lot more to it. It's no wonder Bill hates the media.

That's what Howe said.

It's two fold:

1. He will be more of a liability than a plus.

2. He's a FA and will need to have some leverage of some kind.

I would not be shocked at all if he signs for the league minimum for 1 year here to show he can still play his game mid/later next year.

He'd be a bargain rental for a half season and it would be worth the vet minimum contract, too.

We'll see if they bother with it or not, but Spikes has no leverage as a FA.

Regardless, this story was made up by ESPN as per usual when they can't get anything out of Foxborough or look to try to distract the team and sabotage.

[/QUOTE]

Russ, the dude tweeted that he needed help. He should be cut for being a knucklehead. I believe there is substance to his being habitually tardy to meetings and that BB took a strategic opportunity to show his sincerity in how he does business. Brandon is likely gone now and probably should be, especially now with others playing better than he has been, ACL or no ACL. He's a DT outta position in the NFL at LB and is a liability outside of short run situations.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to RallyC's comment:

[QUOTE]

That's what Howe said.

It's two fold:

I would not be shocked at all if he signs for the league minimum for 1 year here to show he can still play his game mid/later next year.

He'd be a bargain rental for a half season and it would be worth the vet minimum contract, too.

Regardless, this story was made up by ESPN as per usual when they can't get anything out of Foxborough or look to try to distract the team and sabotage.

Russ, the dude tweeted that he needed help. He should be cut for being a knucklehead. I believe there is substance to his being habitually tardy to meetings and that BB took a strategic opportunity to show his sincerity in how he does business. Brandon is likely gone now and probably should be, especially now with others playing better than he has been, ACL or no ACL.

No one ever claimed he was mature.   Every team has a flake like this on their roster.

The discussion is not about that, it's about if the story is legit, which it clearly is not, regardless of what Mortensen reported.

I would not be shocked if Borges was behind this.

I believe that the story has substance. I believe that Bill likely felt Spikes tweeting publicly for help broke protocol and based on the opportunity to back up his words to the team, took action in shutting Spikes down for other than his injury situation. The soft sell now is blaming it on "his team's" position. OF COURSE....He will be a FA next.....this would hurt his value otherwise for being an idiot. Regardless, NEXT MAN UP!

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Spikes tweets all the time. and alot of stupid stuff too. like "shots shots shots" and "rum and coke this and that" blah blah 

kinda stupid on his part

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to pezz4pats' comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to pezz4pats' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

What Mbeaulieu said is more believable. Spikes would have to consent to an IR before BB could do it.

[/QUOTE]

You think BB has to have Spikes permission to put him on IR?  Really?

[/QUOTE]

Of course he does, you can't IR players that aren't hurt. The NFLPA would contest it and, assuming Spikes can pass a physical, he would be removed.

[/QUOTE]

He was hurt.  Who said he wasn't?  And BB doesn't need his permission to do anything.

[/QUOTE]

You're missing the point, if Spikes didn't consent to being IR BB couldn't. He'd have to release him or keep him a gameday inactive. You can't put players on IR for disciplinary actions.

Missing a meeting isn't IR worthy.

[/QUOTE]

Your missing the point.  He was hurt and could have been placed on IR at any time.

Perhaps BB thought that after he blabbed to the press and missed a meeting, it was time.

Just because the decision was apparently mutual, doesn't mean it had to be.

It means that because of all this, BB thought it was time and it means that Spikes apparently had no issue sitting home and collecting a pay check.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Am I the only one who had the feeling spikes was done whenhe limped off the field against Buff? How long could he play on a bum knee?

[/QUOTE]

No, you are not alone.

If this was just about a meeting he'd still be on the field.   They are missing too many other pieces on defense to use this time to make an example of his behavior.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kevin13130. Show kevin13130's posts

In an ideal world, Belichick would walk into his meeting today and say "Scrap the game plan, we airing it out and putting 80 points on the Colts" just as a huge F U to the media. Then, after the game ends Pats 101 - Colts 0, Belichick says "I'd like to thank Chris Mortensen for that huge win" just as Brandon Spikes runs in and tackles a bewildered Mort.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That's what Howe said.

It's two fold:

[/QUOTE]

Russ, the dude tweeted that he needed help. He should be cut for being a knucklehead. I believe there is substance to his being habitually tardy to meetings and that BB took a strategic opportunity to show his sincerity in how he does business. Brandon is likely gone now and probably should be, especially now with others playing better than he has been, ACL or no ACL.

[/QUOTE]

No one ever claimed he was mature.   Every team has a flake like this on their roster.

The discussion is not about that, it's about if the story is legit, which it clearly is not, regardless of what Mortensen reported.

I would not be shocked if Borges was behind this.

[/QUOTE

I believe that the story has substance. I believe that Bill likely felt Spikes tweeting publicly for help broke protocol and based on the opportunity to back up his words to the team, took action in shutting Spikes down for other than his injury situation. The soft sell now is blaming it on "his team's" position. OF COURSE....He will be a FA next.....this would hurt his value otherwise for being an idiot. Regardless, NEXT MAN UP!

[/QUOTE]

Well, it's your choice to show your naive nature on the board.  Makes you look like you're easily led by the media that makes money off of you.

Spikes could not finish the game and just because he tweeted a photo of his car in the driveway, means very little.

If BB wanted to make an example of Spikes, he would have cut him.

[/QUOTE]

Naive would be to discard everything you hear. Brandon could have played this week, regardless of what is being said. Put a brace on it, use him for short yardage, goal line stuff. Putting him on IR keeps Bills options open, but sends a message to the TEAM. The example is more valuable than anything Spikes has been contributing to the team lately.

25. This post has been removed.