Spikes test positive due to ADD medicine

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Spikes test positive due to ADD medicine

From WEEI.com:

Patriots linebacker Brandon Spikes' positive test for performance enhancers was due to amphetamines in a medicine designed to fight attention deficit disorder, according to a report from Comcast New England. Spikes, who was suspended for the rest of the regular season because of the infraction, issued a statement through the team about what happened on Friday. "The substance was a medication that I should have gotten clarification on before taking. It was not a performance enhancer or an illegal drug. The integrity of the game is very important to me. I understand the league’s ruling and apologize to my teammates, the fans and the Patriots organization for this mistake."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lippa. Show lippa's posts

Re: Spikes test positive due to ADD medicine

well if thats the case and is true he should not be suspended and be able too play!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from knightsailor. Show knightsailor's posts

In Response to Spikes test positive due to ADD medicine:
    [QUOTE]From WEEI.com: Patriots linebacker Brandon Spikes' positive test for performance enhancers was due to amphetamines in a medicine designed to fight attention deficit disorder, according to a report from Comcast New England. Spikes, who was suspended for the rest of the regular season because of the infraction, issued a statement through the team about what happened on Friday. "The substance was a medication that I should have gotten clarification on before taking. It was not a performance enhancer or an illegal drug. The integrity of the game is very important to me. I understand the league’s ruling and apologize to my teammates, the fans and the Patriots organization for this mistake."
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]

Mrm,

If this is true doesn't Roger Goodietwoshoes have the authority to make this right.  A person making an honest mistake with needed medication surley shouldn't be treated the same as a person intentionally taking PED.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from norichcrybabies. Show norichcrybabies's posts

In Response to Spikes test positive due to ADD medicine:
    [QUOTE]From WEEI.com: Patriots linebacker Brandon Spikes' positive test for performance enhancers was due to amphetamines in a medicine designed to fight attention deficit disorder, according to a report from Comcast New England. Spikes, who was suspended for the rest of the regular season because of the infraction, issued a statement through the team about what happened on Friday. "The substance was a medication that I should have gotten clarification on before taking. It was not a performance enhancer or an illegal drug. The integrity of the game is very important to me. I understand the league’s ruling and apologize to my teammates, the fans and the Patriots organization for this mistake."
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]
    If this is true he should sue the NFL for his paychecks, potential loss of branding ability and most of all...  LIBEL!  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lippa. Show lippa's posts

doesnt someone with add need to take this everyday and if so wouldnt he have tested positive before?
    In my eyes  they would have tested him in the begining of the yr with all other rookies

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Listen, it makes me feel better about him knowing it was for ADD medication but on the same note they have a list of medications that are banned and those that are approved. You can't hold the hands of multi million dollar athletes and watch everything they do or take. He also has a huge organization behind him that all he needs to do is ask the medical staff if it was a proper medication. By the rules of the league he should have been suspended as others who have made similar mistakes have been. No special treatment, chalk it up to a lesson learned. Hopefully this won't affect the Pats seeding in the playoffs. Spikes took the right approach, being a man and taking the suspension for not using all his resources properly. By admitting his mistake and taking his punishment he can play in the playoffs and shows true character imo. Imagine if this came week 17?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: Spikes test positive due to ADD medicine:
    [QUOTE] doesnt someone with add need to take this everyday and if so wouldnt he have tested positive before? In my eyes  they would have tested him in the begining of the yr with all other rookies
    Posted by lippa[/QUOTE]

My GF has ADD and they are constantly switching her meds every year so her body doesn't get use to a single type of medication. It could very well be that he wasn't diagnosed before or they simply switched his meds and he didn't think anything of it, because that's what they do. Don't forget college drugs standards are much more relaxed when it comes to this type of medication then the NFL. He could have taken it in college switched to a new medication and switch back. This happens quite often actually.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lippa. Show lippa's posts

I wasnt  tring too trow him under the bus . it was a question in concern ty for the info

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Wow.  I would have appealed. I bet he didn't simply because he know they'd never  agree with the prescribed drug being acceptable and he doesn't want to miss time in the playoffs.

Goodell is a joke.

4 games for a rapist and 4 games for a kid with ADD who is trying to get meds that work.

Just a joke of a commissioner.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

I have two kids with ADHD and what PatsEng says is true. They change your drugs regularly.

You should also know that with drug testing, there is a threshold level of certain chemicals, called markers, that has to be reached before a positive result is reached. Also with some drugs, below a certain level, the drug is not considered "performance enhancing" but above that level it is.

Now Spikes may have gone from a "normal dose" to a "long lasting, time release dose" of whaterever he was taking. Since the "long lasting, time release" version can have up to 3 or 4 times of the drug per dose, it is expected that it will take 3 or 4 times as long to disolve or "release".  Well, that doesn't always happen and some people disolve the whole dose a lot quicker and get more of the drug in their system.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN. Show KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN's posts

yep snoop dog was arrested because of a glaucoma condition! i like pats and spikes but i am just not buying his story! everyone knows its a performance-enhancer. y do u think it is banned everywhere?> can stay extra sharp esp when tired or as the crowd gets louder and distracting and what not...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

If the positive test was from a prescribed medicine that he is taking for ADHD, he would not have been suspended. If he had been wrongly suspended he would have appealed and with a physician's record it would be an open and shut case for reversing the suspension.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Wow.  I would have appealed. I bet he didn't simply because he know they'd never  agree with the prescribed drug being acceptable and he doesn't want to miss time in the playoffs. Goodell is a joke. 4 games for a rapist and 4 games for a kid with ADD who is trying to get meds that work. Just a joke of a commissioner.
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

It's just Goodell being Goodell again...trying to micro-manage everything, with one size fits all solutions.

Got to wonder whether a player such as Darrelle Rivas would have received a 4 game suspension for a similar infraction? 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

If he admits to taking this medicine without a perscription he's in deeper trouble than with the league....which makes me think that it had to be perscribed otherwise his agent would be doing backflips.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

[QUOTE]If the positive test was from a prescribed medicine that he is taking for ADHD, he would not have been suspended. If he had been wrongly suspended he would have appealed and with a physician's record it would be an open and shut case for reversing the suspension.
    Posted by nomadfan[/QUOTE]

Nomad.... You are right and even if he lost the appeal he would have been suspended for the first playoff game home which might be easier than the Bears game which if the Pats win will just about clinch home field thru out the playoffs. So I'd rather have him on the field for the Bears game and then worry about the playoffs.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

It's just plain stupid to take any medication without first checking it out with the Pat's medical staff. His actions place the Pat's defense in some jeopardy and he should have known better. What a dumb move on his part!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from murphylo. Show murphylo's posts

You know I want to say he shouldn't be suspended because I have kids who take medication for that, but it's the rules and he knows he needs to tell the NFL what he is taking.  I feel the same about Shawn Merriman even though my husband and my uncle both have such severe asthma they are dependent on their inhalers, but players are told over and over again to let their teams know what meds they are taking. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Underbody. Show Underbody's posts

KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN... do your research before you type your B.S. If it's prescribed and the medication is necessary it actually doesn't do ANYTHING other than even out a chemical imbalance in the brain making everything function NORMALLY! The side effects you listed only occur if the drug isn't needed within the body. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Adam13. Show 4Adam13's posts

[QUOTE]yep snoop dog was arrested because of a glaucoma condition! i like pats and spikes but i am just not buying his story! everyone knows its a performance-enhancer. y do u think it is banned everywhere? /> can stay extra sharp esp when tired or as the crowd gets louder and distracting and what not...
    Posted by KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN[/QUOTE]

You sure you're a Pats fan? You never have anything good to say. Tool.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninpa420. Show patsfaninpa420's posts

I don't know if he should have gotten that harsh a penalty or not, but come playoff time we'll know whether they helped his game any.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

If Brandon doesn't have ADHD and took this medication than he deserves to be suspended and I think in the future we will see stuff like this again from him. If he has ADHD then I can't believe that he was suspended for this. The drug for ADHD is very much like taking cocaine if you don't have ADHD. I took one once (by accident) and new I had screwed up. I ended up vacuuming the house while I was working out and talking on the phone at the same time. I remember driving to my parents house and thinking that I'll never feel this amazing again! I then went to Homedepot and despite it being very crowded was thinking very well and yet was wonderfully calm. I picked out new closet doors for my bathroom and brought them home. I installed them myself and finished around ten before realizing that I hadn't eaten anything all day. So to me, if Spikes doesn't have ADHD he has got a problem:( 

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChasaB. Show ChasaB's posts

regardless of if he has it or doesnt, if it was prescribed or wasnt, he needs to be suspended or else others in the league will think the pats are getting favorable treatment.

he failed a drug test, he chose not to fight it. case closed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkindc. Show dkindc's posts

ADD meds affect different people different ways.  They may give someone an edge even if they legitimately need them.  And of course, getting a prescription doesn't mean you really need them.

Does the NFL drug policy really say that if you have a prescription then it is ok to take stimulants?  That sounds looser than I bet it really is, though it makes sense to me.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Why didn't Spikes tell the NFL?

1.  Some disorders, you don't tell the world that you have the disorder.  If you're taking medicine for ADD, you tell the NFL, and then sources in the NFL spill the beans to the press.

2.  Why do you want to let the opponents know that you play with some disorder?  Knowing about a player's ADD may not be as usable as knowing about a player's groin injury or loss of peripheral vision on one side, but it's still something to keep secret.

So, Spikes didn't tell the NFL.  Then the NFL front office came down on Spikes as hard as they did on Big Ben for a well-coordinated sexual assault. 

Memo to Roger Goodell:  Please, whatever you do, keep taking your meds.  Just because you feel fine doesn't mean you can go off them.