spygate vs colts Lack of perfection

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

spygate vs colts Lack of perfection

Dungy feels the colts will be motivated like the pats were in 2007 after all the spygate garbage.i think there is no comparison.the pats were accused of something really bad.compared to the colts not wanting perfection.so why would this be a reason for motivation?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/06/dungy-thinks-colts-will-be-motivated-like-patriots-after-spygate/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

Re: spygate vs colts Lack of perfection

Moss, the difference is that this colts choice will not have the lingering effect that spygate did.  However, the firestorm currently and through the playofffs (should the colts advance) will continue to at the forefront of public discussion.  All one needs to do to know this is to look at this board. 

The largest threads surround the colts decision and at the time that it happened the majority of current threads were colts related. 

Finally, I think you have to understand that the players were interested in perfection.  The organization was not.  The players are now being labeled quitters when in reality, they had nothing to do with it.  They don't want that label, and I expect them to play with a motivation proving it wrong. 

I said this from the outset.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Colts and mental toughness should never, ever, EVER be used in one sentence.

In that San Diego game after Spygate, the players rallied around Belichick because they felt he was villified by the national media. One of those stories I'll always share with my kids was the moment right after the game. All the veterans walked up to Belichick and hugged him, and they handed him the game ball. Then, as he walked to the tunnel, the crowd gave him a standing ovation and he waved to the fans. I'll  never forget that moment, even if it was a regular season game.

I don't see the Colts rallying around Caldwell considering he's done nothing this year other than inherit Peyton.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

Plus as I have pointed out in other posts. The Pats were the team prosecuted in Spygate, but weren't the only team that was involved in Spygate. We probably will never know the other teams involved other than the Jets which got caught against the Ravens same season, but the story was swept under the rug right away.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MarcW1. Show MarcW1's posts

Who cares?  Lets concentrate on beating the Ravens.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

So the moral to your son is going to be that it is ok to cheat as long as people have your back. 

I am just curious.  How much mental toughness did it take for the patriots org to break the rules, not just before the memo, but also after it? 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Hm, the moral of the story is that ESPN blew it out of proportion, villified a guy only because of his stern treatment to the media, and because the Patriots were at the apex of the sports world. They blew it way out of proportion. The entire story gained steam because the criminal Matt Walsh supposedly had more information and tapes and because bitter morons like Marshall Faulk and Joey Porter claimed they would have won 7 Super Bowls apiece if it weren't for Spygate.

The memo was sent to everyone, us included, and Bill claims to have misinterpreted the rule. I don't know because I don't even know what the rule is. The moral of the story is that the team rallied around their family member, Coach Belichick, whether he was right or wrong. That's what families do. I thought you'd understand taht given you had a preacher as your coach.

It takes mental toughness to stand for your leader regardless of what people in the media say about him. It does not, however, take mental toughness to cry after losses to the Patriots in AFC title games only to have the rules changed. It does not take mental toughness to get bogus penalties called on opposing teams. It does not take mental toughness to wimp out and not go for the perfect season.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

And speaking of kids, I remember reading about you taking your daughter to a Colts game, the Jets game I believe.

On the way home, let's say she asked you, "Is it ok to quit? Did we get a discount on our tickets then, since we didn't see Peyton play much? Why were those fans booing? I thought they were Colts fans." The moral of THAT story would be that it's okay to quit just because you have the #1 seed lined up.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

The Colts' decision to shun perfection will make a good offseason thread, at least as good as politics, abortion, religion, healthcare, and all of the other things we'll be discussing.  Let's just hope our offseason starts in about 5 weeks.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"Moss, the difference is that this colts choice will not have the lingering effect that spygate did"

I don't agree. I believe the decision not only cost the Colts a perfect season but a Super Bowl win. Also, if the Colts never have a perfect season, the woulda/coulda/shoulda from this will go on a long long time. I'm a very strong believe in momentum in sports, and I believe the Colts lost their mojo by doing what they did. If I had to pick, my guess is they will lose to the Jets, which would surely cement for all time the problem of letting a team win you may have to face again. But hey, I realize that most don't see the Colts losing to the Jets or the Ravens. Having said that, momentum is not the only factor and it can certainly be regained. A resounding victory over Bengals/Jets winner could definitely turn this around. As for the Pats, we have our hands full with the Ravens. Hopefully the team isn't talking about the Colts like we are. :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

spygate= overblown rule infraction manufactured by media

wimpgate= slap in the face to the integrity of sports created by Geldings front office

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticsboy11. Show celticsboy11's posts

The Colts have been and will always be NFL CHEATING FRAUDS using Pass Inteference. See plenty of it gets called should they get backed up into a cornern and  are ready to be ambarassed.

enough said!

thanks

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JulesWinfield. Show JulesWinfield's posts

A lot of silly statements in this thread!

1) "The Colts aren't mentally tough."  Good God!  The Colts are the team that won five or six consecutive 4th quarter come-backs this year.  They're the team that has won two incredible, historic come-back victories over the Patriots by refusing to give up.  Sounds like the Colts are the definition of the term "mentally tough".

2) "I'm a strong believer in momemtum in sports/the Colts loas their mojo the last two weeks."  Really?  How does watching the backups lose games to inferior teams in any way affect the starters' ability to play?  Don't you think maybe all the factors that made them a 14-0 team are still intact?  Or are you still going to insist that somehow in two weeks they destroyed the timing and talent they spent all year developing?  The only "momentum" I see, is just an ackowledgement that this team or that team is currently playing well.  For example, if you say that SD has momentum because they've won eleven in a row, I can translate that to mean that SD is playing well right now...and I agree.  But the Colts are playing well - and losing games that were turned over to the back-ups can't change that.

3) "Spygate=rule infraction, wimpgate=lack of integrity".  This might be the dumbest of all.  Cheating is the definition of a lack of integrity.  Illegally taping signals to try to win games (and let's face it, we'll never know if the Pats would have won any SBs without cheating) is a pretty bad afront to integrity in the NFL.  The Colts: well, your current outrage over their playing time is certainly feigned.  After all, Brady was in and out of your last game (including the crucial final drive), and you're not outraged about that.  In fact, every year teams do this type of healing and resting players, and this year you try to turn it into a scandal?  Pretty weak, guys.

4) "Colts are cheating frauds."  You guys have made a career around here of disagreeing with every penalty called against a Colt opponent.  If only you guys could see how ridiculous you sound carping about that.  At any rate, just using logic: how could you accuse the Colts of cheating because a ref makes a few calls you disagree with?  Maybe you could call the refs cheats, but why they would purposefully make bad calls is beyond me.  I'm not sure if you guys are claiming a vast conspiracy, or subconscious bias, or what????  But I suspect it's just a form of sour grapes...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Considering that Peyton Manning stated in a press conference that he knew the Colts were going to tank it and he was on board as this was a team decision The Colts organization and the players have to be lumped into 1 on this debate.

They are a disgrace and should be embarrassed. I don't see how this could possibly serve as motivation but I can understand why Dungy would like to spin it that way. Dungy has done the same in the past so he is in fact defending himself with that statement.
    As far as Spygate the Pats were persecuted for doing what everyone else in the league was doing. Just ask Bill Cower, Pat Kirwan or Jimmy Johnson. I can understand why people who are victims of a modern day witch hunt would be motivated but not cowards and cretins.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

E - interesting that you mention spin in your post. 

When Adalius Thomas stepped outside the company line earlier this season, you were one of the many who were quick to criticize him.  Some suggested he was a cancer to the organization.  You recommended he be traded to Oakland. 

So Manning toe's the company line for the sake of organizational continuity (same as is expected from all patriots players and revered by pats fans far and wide) and you call him a disgrace. 

You can't have it both ways.  As a patriot's lover and colts hater, its easy to see that you expressed honest feelings about Thomas, so you can't really believe what you wrote about Manning.  I am going to have to call bullspin on ya. 

I just hope you don't start believing the lies you make up for sake of thread fodder.  It might be a first step toward going cuckoo.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

As usual Dogg, the logic of your post make no sense. Much Like Bill Oreilly, I operate in a no spin zone. Thomas was a cancer with a bad attitude that did things "Against" The organization to the detriment of the team. Peyton Manning along with the organization did a remarkably gutless thing. There is no comparison. The thread is comparing Spygate to Gutlessgate and you spin it into a comparison about Peyton Manning VS Adalius Thomas. You're really reaching on this one but I can understand that after reading the last week of posts from you trying to defend the indefensible. I would say that you are the one out on the ledge lately. Your posts have changed in tone much over the last month or so.

Also, I recommended Thomas be traded to the Chiefs not the Raiders. Please get your facts correct.

Edit} By the way, I read in a post of yours where you compared Enoch's post to something that might have ocurred in Nazi Germany..Who's going cuckoo dog?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

Shouldnt this title be "PI-gate - why dolts never won a THING until the rules get changed..." This is why AMERICA wants anybody but the dolts in the SB...America wants to see a LEGITIMATE game, not a joke determined by phantom PI flags....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

For what I hope will be the last time but doubt:
    Taping signals IS LEGAL.  If you are allowed to tape the opposing teams from authorized field positions, you would also be taping their signals, legally.
    The rule also says that said tapes could not be used during the course of a game.
    Since BB was NOT using the films during the course of the game, he felt he was justified.  There lies the conflict.  It was no more than a rule violation...that's it!
    GET IT, GOT IT, GOOD!
    What I find funny is that people with supposed high Football IQ can't grasp this.
    WHY?  Never mind, I know why.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Dogg(g): you stated:

"So the moral to your son is going to be that it is ok to cheat as long as people have your back. I am just curious.  How much mental toughness did it take for the patriots org to break the rules, not just before the memo, but also after it?"

RESPONSE: Posts like this are why Pats fans here consider you as nothing more than a troll...and do not take you seriously.

Howard Mudd, the Colts' "illustrious" OL coach, has been stealing signs for years. Everyone knows that its' part of the game. Coaches such as Bill Parcells and Jimmy Johnson all have cited that the big deal over taping signs was ridiculous.

But, we all know that the Indianapolis Colts are as pure as the driven snow. They would never do things like steal signs, intimidate referees, or pump loud music through speakers to hamper opposing offenses. Oh no, not the wonderful Colts. Whenever things don't go their way, or their Charmin-soft players get roughed up...let the whining, and rule changing begin!! 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

I learned a long time ago that intellectual dishonesty is a staple of ud's defenses.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Dogg,
    Again what "method" are you speaking about?  The one where they were taping the opposing team in front of God and every one.  They did NOT try to hide it!
    The opposing teams KNEW they were doing it.  They waved to the camera man who was in plain sight standing on the side lines. That "method". lol
    If you are going to cheat would you put your cheat notes right on your desk in plain view so that the monitor and every one else could see it?  On the other hand are you cheating if you take cheat notes to class but never use them?
    Is this easier for you to understand?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

Edit} By the way, I read in a post of yours where you compared Enoch's post to something that might have ocurred in Nazi Germany..Who's going cuckoo dog?

ew - You might find this article interesting. It is about how to be a jerk online. ud hits all 8 points I think. The fact that he compared anything to Hitler is something called "Godwin's Law"

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

E - There is clear reason for comparison.  Thomas went against his superiors and was criticized by you for doing so.  Manning followed his superiors and is receiving the same criticism.  Pretty small margin (non-existent) for anyone to gain your approval.

By the way, what the individuals do or do not follow does not matter unless it is unlawful, immoral, or could be fatal.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

I want EVERYONE to re-read these Guidelines and By-Laws...

Any use by any club at any time, from the start to the finish of any game in which such club is a participant, of any communications or information-gathering equipment, other than Polaroid-type cameras or field telephones, shall be prohibited, including without limitation videotape machines, telephone tapping, or bugging devices, or any other form of electronic devices that might aid a team during the playing of a game.”
    Videotaping of any type, including but not limited to taping of an opponent’s offensive or defensive signals, is prohibited on the sidelines, in the coaches’ booth, in the locker room, or at any other locations accessible to club staff members during the game.”
    “No video recording devices of any kind are permitted to be in use in the coaches’ booth, on the field, or in the locker room during the game.” Furthermore, all video shooting locations for shooting purposes “must be enclosed on all sides with a roof overhead.”

~SO, Let me get this straight...  According the the NFL League Rules You just offered to Us here (I'll go right down the list, 1-2-3): 

Number One- NO NFL Club whatsoever from game start to game finish, Is allowed to use any recording device at all other than a polaroid-type camera and/or a field telephone, But NOT a phone tap, bugging device, And NOT a VIDEOTAPING MACHINE...which leads Us to Number Two, Which "clarifies" (in otherwords), But when You DO in fact Videotape another team, You CANNOT do so in places which are accessible to your staff member's during the game...finally concluding in Number Three that, When You DO in fact videotape, ya can't do it in a coach's booth, the field, or the locker room, and make sure there's an enclosed roof for the videotaping session.  

~So, allow me to simplify further: You can't videotape at all during game start to finish, But when You DO videotape your staff cannot be able to access the videotaping you're NOT allowed to do during the game, and when You DO videotape, it cannot be from the field, sidelines, coach's booth, and the videotaping you're NOT allowed to do, needs to be "roofed overhead."

~You're right...I don't have ANY idea how Bill Belichick or any other NFL Coach at the time, could possibly misinterpret the Comish's rules, which are clear as day...(*cough-and yet when I go to games to THIS very day, I see not only an enclosed booth with tinted windows overhead, but several cameramen in the stands that are standing, And have NO TV network clothes, headphones, or any other gear...and still, the coach's continue to cover their play-calling with oversized lamenated playsheets-With such simple, straight-forward sets of rules, it's so weird that there continues to be murky interpretations and odd behavior on the Final Official cut-and-dry Stance...I just don't understand.   

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

E - There is clear reason for comparison.  Thomas went against his superiors and was criticized by you for doing so.  Manning followed his superiors and is receiving the same criticism.  Pretty small margin (non-existent) for anyone to gain your approval.

By the way, what the individuals do or do not follow does not matter unless it is unlawful, immoral, or could be fatal.

Response. There goes that spin again Dogg.  I didn't criticize Manning for going along with his teams decision. I criticized the Decision that was made and Manning by his own admission was on Board with it.

I criticized Thomas for conduct detrimental to his team..

You're doing exactly what the political pundits do on TV and radio to try and make there argument seem valid. You take a sentence and twist it into something that it's not then say ""If you said This, Then you must also mean That". I see and hear it every day in different arena's doggg. Make a valid point to support what your team did and I'll respect your argument.