Stafford and his 41m is insane!!!!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

Stafford and his 41m is insane!!!!!

Matt Stafford mega contract is more than Brady's, Mannings, and Cutler.  Is it just me or is this totally insane!  How can teams pay this much for a rookie QB.  I have no problem guarantying that Stafford will not accomplish nearly as much as Brady or Peyton(I still hate the Colts).

http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/stafford-agrees-to-bigger-deal-than-brady-cutler-23521

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Re: Stafford and his 41m is insane!!!!!

It's totally insane.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

The draft is broken dude.

They need to fix it. No player should make that much.

Making a pick like that is essentially gambling on your next 8-10 years of football. When Stafford doesn't work out, the Lions will be destroyed for another half decade. And then they will have to wait for a half decade AFTER that to find out if the next guy they bring in has the goods.

Of course if he does work out they will have the best QB in the AFC north. Then things will be rosy.

I am rooting for them, but I thought it was a silly mistake.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from fuzzy1. Show fuzzy1's posts

On second thought... Indy, Pitsburgh, New England have been able to maintain their superiority in the league because they don't have to blow 20 million/year in cap space to Top 5 busts.  The current system helps us because we never pick in the top half.  It's killing Detroit, though.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

The draft is completely @ss-backwards. It penalizes the teams at the top where retarded guaranteed contracts to shot-in-the-dark players hamstring the worst teams in the league and only lightning strikes like Matt Ryan benefit the lucky few. unless I am greatly mistaken, the new collective bargaining agreement will include some type of reform that mimics what the NBA does, with a graduated, mandatory contract system for rookies tied to where a player is drafted. The union will howl bloody murder at this, but if things keep going the way they are, you can get used to seeing the better (and smarter) teams do exactly what the Pats did last weekend. Get out of the first round. Particularly in a thin draft like this year's, the cost-benefit reward was simply not there.

I wish Mathew Stafford all the luck in the world, but in no way, shape or form is he worth anywhere near $40 million.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Some were speculating that Detroit sweetened the number on purpose.  That it was done to create the outrage necessary change the system.

There is a lot of talk about it now.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kmaxx. Show Kmaxx's posts

My question is where is all the money coming from?  Last year Gholston $21 mil guaranteed.  Massive Free Agent signings Bret, Faneca, Woody, Mangold.  Now this kid. Isn't there a salary cap?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

The NFLPA won't complain Mike. They don't like it either. It takes cash out of veterans' pockets.

About the only people that will be against this are the agents. And the voiceless top-ten picks of the future.

It needs to be brought into line somehow. The top pick in the draft is still a rookie.

The #7 overall is getting the kind of money I think the #1 overall should be getting. Something in the 5 years 30-35 mil range. That way if they don't work out the team isn't hamstrung.

And the NFLPA will not complain. All that extra cash will mean that more teams can make smart moves like picking up established vets for depth and competition. As long as the cap keeps rising with profits the NFLPA is happy.

If it matters where the cash goes, they woul prefer that it go to vets who have been in the NFLPA.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

We could see serious discussions on a rookie cap (hard or soft) the next time the CBA is on the table. The agents won't like it, the vets and the owners will. Top five picks are huge money picks and create an enormous risk to the teams that draft them.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

Good posts from everyone. But now that I think about it, maybe we shouldn't be surprised by the 0-16 Lions making such a dumb move.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

Stafford is a recipient of hype. I don't see him as a franchise QB. 

Like him or not, Tom Condon, did his best job ever on this one.