STATE OF THE PATRIOTS

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

Re: STATE OF THE PATRIOTS

This game is won in the trenches, plain and simple. You win that battle, and you are half way home.

The last 4 teams on championship sunday all had top defenses. Coincidence? I think not!!

Anyone who says defensive line is priority 1 is spot on. We need a couple of animals up front who create pressure. So I would use both our first round picks on a DE & a beast OLB.

Then we use our 2nd round picks to get a couple freak OLmen. We have a 1000 yard rusher....put a great line in front of him and he will kick butt. Not to mention our QB will be his great self with good protection.

Not sure why so many are making this harder than it is. Draft some beasts up front on both sides of the ball and we will win....A LOT

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

I agree regarding needs, but it's dangerous to say 'pick 1= OLB and pick 2= DE'. Last year people were screaming for Jared Odrick and Sergio Kindle. They certainly would've played need positions, but can they play at the NFL level? I'm pretty happy with Mccourty and Gronk. Obviously it'd be great if the pats filled their needs, but I don't think they're going to stop picking the best player available. 

In Response to Re: STATE OF THE PATRIOTS:
    [QUOTE]This game is won in the trenches, plain and simple. You win that battle, and you are half way home. The last 4 teams on championship sunday all had top defenses. Coincidence? I think not!! Anyone who says defensive line is priority 1 is spot on. We need a couple of animals up front who create pressure. So I would use both our first round picks on a DE & a beast OLB. Then we use our 2nd round picks to get a couple freak OLmen. We have a 1000 yard rusher....put a great line in front of him and he will kick butt. Not to mention our QB will be his great self with good protection. Not sure why so many are making this harder than it is. Draft some beasts up front on both sides of the ball and we will win....A LOT
    Posted by tanbass[/QUOTE]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to STATE OF THE PATRIOTS : I agree. NE has three needs. OL, defections and age, they just need to keep adding here. OLB/DE, the mediocre pass rush showed up last season a few times. When Brady wasn't perfect, the defense had some trouble in close games. Pairing this secondary with one pass rusher will make everyone better. WR/RB - this can't be understated. NE needs, absolutely needs, at least one playmaker. They need someone who has to be accounted for on every down, or else they will take it to the house. Yes, they did it in 2000 without one, but that was a miracle season capped by a miracle drive and a miracle kick against a superior team that was caught napping. 
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

In 2001, everything broke right for the Pats in the play-offs. Against the Raiders, they were saved by the Tuck Rule, and a miraculous kick by a miraculous kicker. Against the Steelers, they won thanks to superior special teams play, which accounted for two TDs, and the presence of Cordell Stewart as the Steeler QB. Against the Rams, they faced off against a finesse team...and beat them thanks largely to superior coaching. It was somewhat similar to the 2007 Pats/Giants game.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]I don't know about a game breaker being such a huge need. Did they have this in 2003? It'd be great to add a taller, vertical threat but the offense led the league in scoring by a pretty wide margin with the smaller, quicker guys. Another point is look what happened when they did have that one guy that needed to be accounted for each play. His name was Moss and Brady eventually became fixated on him in a way that hurt the offense.  I think it's dangerous to judge needs only on the jets game. They did fine without a game breaker against Pitt, the Jets (second time), and the bears.  In Response to Re: STATE OF THE PATRIOTS :
    Posted by Rockdog1293000[/QUOTE]

Big difference back then, I think, was they had Corey Dillon and teams had to respect the running game as well as the short passing game (plus the defense was better, but that's a different story).  I tend to agree with Zbellino that they need a playmaker.  I'd just add, that they need that playmaker not to be an underneath receiver (slot or TE).  They either need a wideout who can threaten the deep part of the field or (even more important in my opinion) a running back who isn't a third down back like Faulk and Woodhead but who is more explosive than BJGE.  The Faulk/Woodhead style back depends on spread formations--they run well in space, but they're not grind-it-out backs.  BJGE is a bang-it-up kind of guy, but he's not that fast.  He isn't very successful running outside and he doesn't threaten to break many long runs.  We need a guy who can make LBs worry about dropping into coverage too fast and force safeties to think about what's happening at the LOS.  To complement the back, though, we need another good run blocker or two along the line.  This O-line has not been a physical run blocking line in my opinion.

The Pats success this year seemed to come when they got out of the spread formations or at least mixed those formations up with tighter formations.  If they can strengthen their running game, I think they can diversify their offense and make defenses have to worry about more than just Welker and the TEs in the underneath routes.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

They used the tightends to power block and that worked well, except against the Jets in the last game...They used BJGE for 20 plus rushes and he kept getting better at picking holes for longer gains, again except against the Jets...in other words, they developed a productive power running game but strayed from it just when it was needed...Not a top priority...They do need another receiver and it sounds like Chad Johnson and Stalwarth both want back in and they would be great answers.
    Defensive front IMO is the draft need (end and OLB) followed by offensive line.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: STATE OF THE PATRIOTS :      In 2001, everything broke right for the Pats in the play-offs. Against the Raiders, they were saved by the Tuck Rule, and a miraculous kick by a miraculous kicker. Against the Steelers, they won thanks to superior special teams play, which accounted for two TDs, and the presence of Cordell Stewart as the Steeler QB. Against the Rams, they faced off against a finesse team...and beat them thanks largely to superior coaching. It was somewhat similar to the 2007 Pats/Giants game.  
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

Correct. That is exactly what people needed to be reminded of when they talk about how NE can win with JAGs. 

That was a blue-moon occurrance. Between the 2007 and 2001 upsets, I can't think of another team that overachieved in the final game as much in the history of the SB outside of the famous Jets of yore.

NE does in fact need to improve in some key areas to take the next step. They cannot go into next post-season hoping for Tom to be perfect again. He carried them through a bunch of tough games. They need one or two more difference makers to pick up some slack for the guy when he isn't flawless. They had that in 2003-4. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

[QUOTE]  Pats future is so bright...6 picks in the top 100, so does BB bargain shop and trade down and turn these 6 into 9,10 picks?
    Posted by harleyroadking11[/QUOTE]

After last year's draft, we all marveled at how BB put the Pats in a VERY good draft position for this year. It's time to harvets the bounty, NOT trade it away for later round or next year picks. Ever wonder what would have happened IF he hadn't traded picks AND took that speed rushing OLB, or that stud RB? How many more years are we going to hear about BB's "genius" come draft day, yet actually see nothing but the promise of The Next Draft?  Honestly, would you NOT want to see Clay Mathews in a Pats uniform? Still believe it was better to trade the #26 pick away in 2009 and NOT have Matthews? They went from 16-0 in '07, to 11-5 (no playoff) without Brady in '08 (needed defense help), and 10-6 in '09 WITH Brady and Moss. The defense should have been addressed and Matthews was right there for the taking.......

He's put the Pats in a great position for this year's draft. Something tells me that he knows more about the overall talent availability when the picks would be coming up than we want to admitt. (The Raid-uh's #1 is the "wildcard", as just about everyone had them in the top 10 someplace.)

This is the time, this is the place, they have the high volume of early round picks. it's time to use them. They can re-start the Draft Day Games after the 2011 season, if there is one.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

There is no player on the Patriots roster, either offense or defense, that is "FEARED" around the league. Moss, in conjunction with Brady provided a FEARED possibility. But, they didn't have a RB that would routinely pick up those tough yards at critical times in a game. Even Dillon didn't do that; their overall offense carried the load (ie: Brady's fave receiver was whoever's open). 

It's not a good thing to know that if you shut down the Pats receivers, you shut down the Pats offense. The Firm does NOT strike fear in any team. Sorry, but WR screens and dump off passes to your WR's isn't near equal to a bruising RB busting through the DLine, and dragging LB's down the field for 3-6 more yards. ANyone care to recall teh INT on their 1st possession vs the JESTS!? Something tells me that a big back would have made that play more of a "surprise" rather than a "look for this play". Hell! How good can it be when the yahoos int eh TV booth are calling the play as it developes? Ya think teh other coaches, even Rexx The Hutt, can figure that one out?

Their defense does NOT strike fear in any team. Who knows? Maybe they will, someday, but you can't tell. Outside of Brady, Mayo is teh 1 Patriot that comes to mind when you mention defense outside of NE. Even Wilfork doesn't get mentioned, as he quietly does his job. Again, NO FEAR FACTOR.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cyberknot. Show Cyberknot's posts

You can't just look at what would have improved the 2010 Pats, you have to try and project the 2011 Pats, and unless they are switching to a 3-4 offense, they better draft a couple of OL in the the first two rounds. Not fifth round projects, but guys who can start.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: STATE OF THE PATRIOTS : After last year's draft, we all marveled at how BB put the Pats in a VERY good draft position for this year. It's time to harvets the bounty, NOT trade it away for later round or next year picks. Ever wonder what would have happened IF he hadn't traded picks AND took that speed rushing OLB, or that stud RB? How many more years are we going to hear about BB's "genius" come draft day, yet actually see nothing but the promise of The Next Draft?  Honestly, would you NOT want to see Clay Mathews in a Pats uniform? Still believe it was better to trade the #26 pick away in 2009 and NOT have Matthews? They went from 16-0 in '07, to 11-5 (no playoff) without Brady in '08 (needed defense help), and 10-6 in '09 WITH Brady and Moss. The defense should have been addressed and Matthews was right there for the taking....... He's put the Pats in a great position for this year's draft. Something tells me that he knows more about the overall talent availability when the picks would be coming up than we want to admitt. (The Raid-uh's #1 is the "wildcard", as just about everyone had them in the top 10 someplace.) This is the time, this is the place, they have the high volume of early round picks. it's time to use them. They can re-start the Draft Day Games after the 2011 season, if there is one.
    Posted by AZPAT[/QUOTE]

This is hindsight nonsense.  The passed on him for a reason.  Give it up.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

i think we need another "find" tackle(voelhmer) in the pipeline..comes right in and can start if needed... we seem a little thin there... but it would also be nice to add another de/olb (cunningham) in the mix that is a high energy machine...even if they need to go away from their system type players... that would seem to be #17... riess hit on this the other day as well...   l like some of our dlineman they have picked up the last two years...deadrick love pryor brace... they shoudl definately get better... sure they will pick up another

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaxpat. Show jaxpat's posts

In Response to STATE OF THE PATRIOTS:
    [QUOTE]     This is dedicated to Patriots' fans, and those "brave" trolls who have crawled out of the woodwork  after the Jets beat the Pats in the play-offs.      My fellow Pats' fans, the Patriots are in great shape for next season. Armed with 6 of the top 100 picks in the upcoming draft, the Pats have reinforcements  on the way: http://www.projo.com/patriots/content/Donaldson_Patriots_NFL.edc837f3.html        I expect the Pats to use these picks primarily to address their defensive front 7, and their OL. The Pats need to solve the riddle of Revis Island next season. Whether that means bringing in a big-play WR, or strengthening their running attack, remains to be seen.     

Listen, there is no doubt the Patriots r stockpiling tons of quality talent but the issue that haunts me the most is the collapse in the last two playoffs.
    Talent is not the issue it's the mental health of the team when the pressure is on.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

I thought it was all about talent. 

Last year was anybody really shocked about the loss?  Maybe the final score was a bit of a shocker but the loss, no.  The defense was terrible.  Road games were always an adventure. 

This year a lot of things got fixed.  Most here were going to be happy if the Pats just reached the playoffs.  It's that we lost to the Jets that makes the thing sting a little more.  The defense can't stop other teams plain and simple.  The Pats haven't had a defense since their last SB win.  Until Bill gets the defense up and going this team is not going anywhere.  The Pats always find themselves in deep do-do when Brady turns human.

It ain't about mental health, it's about talent.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaxpat. Show jaxpat's posts

[QUOTE]I thought it was all about talent.  Last year was anybody really shocked about the loss?  Maybe the final score was a bit of a shocker but the loss, no.  The defense was terrible.  Road games were always an adventure.  This year a lot of things got fixed.  Most here were going to be happy if the Pats just reached the playoffs.  It's that we lost to the Jets that makes the thing sting a little more.  The defense can't stop other teams plain and simple.  The Pats haven't had a defense since their last SB win.  Until Bill gets the defense up and going this team is not going anywhere.  The Pats always find themselves in deep do-do when Brady turns human. It ain't about mental health, it's about talent.
    Posted by garytx[/QUOTE]

I beg to differ....we had enough talent to beat any of the contenders this season....that because we did.
    As soon as we get to the playoff we got tight as a drum failing to execute properly. It's all about poise under pressure.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

It's more about experience and talent than it is poise. Otherwise, the very experienced offense should be looked at for lack of poise and experience.

We know there was plenty of experience on offense and what should be plenty of poise.

Scrap 2009. Just forget that one.  Brady had missed a full season prior, they were at the worst point of their rebuilding phase and it didn't surprise many that they lost to Baltimore.

This past year was about a lack of execution on offense and a botched special teams play.

At some point, just chalk it up to the other team playing better that one day.

The defense is now experienced and they are literally one draft and FA period away from becoming a legit SB contender for years to come.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: STATE OF THE PATRIOTS : I beg to differ....we had enough talent to beat any of the contenders this season....that because we did. As soon as we get to the playoff we got tight as a drum failing to execute properly. It's all about poise under pressure.
    Posted by jaxpat[/QUOTE]

There is something to be said about poise under pressure. I'm haunted by the poor play of Tom Brady against the Jets. That interception he threw was inexcusable. If Peyton and the Colts played like Brady and the Pats did in the Jets' loss, the "c" word would have been freely, and justifiably, bandied about.

The Jets' loss was worse that the 2009 playoff debacle against the Ravens. Noboby except the crazed homers thought that the Pats were a SB team. In that game, the Patriots were beaten physically, by a better team. In the Jets' disaster, the 14-2 Pats failed to execute, as the had all season.  

That said, had the Pats been more physical up front in the trenches, perhaps Mark Sanchez wouldn't have had the time to eat a sandwich, and complete passes on every attempt...and perhaps the Pats could have steam-rolled over that Jets' gimmick "D", on the ground.   

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: STATE OF THE PATRIOTS :      There is something to be said about poise under pressure. I'm haunted by the poor play of Tom Brady against the Jets. That interception he threw was inexcusable. If Peyton and the Colts played like Brady and the Pats did in the Jets' loss, the "c" word would have been freely, and justifiably, bandied about.      The Jets' loss was worse that the 2009 playoff debacle against the Ravens. Noboby except the crazed homers thought that the Pats were a SB team. In that game, the Patriots were beaten physically, by a better team. In the Jets' disaster, the 14-2 Pats failed to execute, as the had all season.        That said, had the Pats been more physical up front in the trenches, perhaps Mark Sanchez wouldn't have had the time to eat a sandwich, and complete passes on every attempt...and perhaps the Pats could have steam-rolled over that Jets' gimmick "D", on the ground.   

I think there is too much put on TB for the loss. In the playoffs, for the most part, it is about who has the best defense. That's why Pitt and GB got to the SB when their QB's had awful conference championship games.

In the dynasty days, Brady could have a mediocre game (2003 divisional and conference, 2006 divisional, 2007 championship) but the team would win because they could win a defensive struggle.

While the improved play of the defense was encouraging, they still could not WIN a game. Another year together and I think we may start to see that which bodes well for the long term future of the club.

Can we just bring on the draft already?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: STATE OF THE PATRIOTS :      There is something to be said about poise under pressure. I'm haunted by the poor play of Tom Brady against the Jets. That interception he threw was inexcusable. If Peyton and the Colts played like Brady and the Pats did in the Jets' loss, the "c" word would have been freely, and justifiably, bandied about.      The Jets' loss was worse that the 2009 playoff debacle against the Ravens. Noboby except the crazed homers thought that the Pats were a SB team. In that game, the Patriots were beaten physically, by a better team. In the Jets' disaster, the 14-2 Pats failed to execute, as the had all season.        That said, had the Pats been more physical up front in the trenches, perhaps Mark Sanchez wouldn't have had the time to eat a sandwich, and complete passes on every attempt...and perhaps the Pats could have steam-rolled over that Jets' gimmick "D", on the ground.   
    "C" word?  What in the world does that mean?  What word are you trying to disguise to describe Brady?  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: STATE OF THE PATRIOTS : "C" word?  What in the world does that mean?  What word are you trying to disguise to describe Brady?  
    Posted by UD6[/QUOTE]

Even you can't be this stupid.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Did any of you notice Rex Ryan pushing BB away, after BB congratulated him on the playoff win?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: STATE OF THE PATRIOTS : He has to know what it is being the huge Manning fan
    Posted by Sam-Adams[/QUOTE]

Sam...maybe the Dog(gggg) needs to go back to consulting with you before he answers a question, or dares to give an opinion...LOL!!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: STATE OF THE PATRIOTS : I beg to differ....we had enough talent to beat any of the contenders this season....that because we did. As soon as we get to the playoff we got tight as a drum failing to execute properly. It's all about poise under pressure.
    Posted by jaxpat[/QUOTE]

The defensive line was basically on IR.  You can't miss that many players in the trenches and expect to do well.  The burden was placed on the offense to carry the load once more.  And it would have worked if they had executed.  The offense struggled and the defense short comings showed up.  All I'm saying is that the offense was due for a let down and when that happens it exploits the defense which was hurting.  A couple of big plays by the defense and things might have been different.  But was that to be expected with the DL in the shape it was in?  An arguement can be made about the offense losing it's poise but special teams and the defense just weren't up to it talentwise. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from cbdam. Show cbdam's posts

thank you and laughing my a-- off.

so true:

"Mark Sanchez wouldn't have had the time to eat a sandwich, and complete passes on every attempt...and perhaps the Pats could have steam-rolled over that Jets' gimmick "D", on the ground."

thanks texaspat3,

cbdam/brdbreu

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: STATE OF THE PATRIOTS :      There is something to be said about poise under pressure. I'm haunted by the poor play of Tom Brady against the Jets. That interception he threw was inexcusable.   

The play was too cute. Brady faked a handoff one way and pirouetted around to throw the screen pass. He threw too fast without looking closely at the defense.  He was trying to get the most out of the fake.  It's just that Harris was charging unblocked into the backfield and was in perfect position to get the pass.  Was it Brady's fault?  Well he could have looked more closely at the D, but the point of the play was to deceive the D with a quick fake and pass.  I think the play was just a tad too cute--sometimes gadget plays like that get you into more trouble than they're worth.