Steelers on mass contract restructuring spree

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cantstopme. Show cantstopme's posts

Steelers on mass contract restructuring spree

How will this (e)affect? them in the future? I wonder if all these moves are somehow handycapping them going forward? If not, then why aren't more teams doing this? Pitt has created around $29 mill in additional 2012 cap space.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Re: Steelers on mass contract restructuring spree

Steelers have to restruture their players to keep guys like Wallace around; they are officially in cap hell and their managment has to figure a way out of it and help their team remain competitive.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In Response to Steelers on mass contract restructuring spree:
    [QUOTE]How will this (e)affect? them in the future? I wonder if all these moves are somehow handycapping them going forward? If not, then why aren't more teams doing this? ...

Posted by cantstopme[/QUOTE]

They're just like Congress and Obama, kicking the can down the road. Unlike the government however, they can't print money. So this will catch up with them. They certainly won't be in any position to sign FAs (after Wallace, if they can keep him) and will probably need to cut some good players.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

I think it HAS caught up with them.

This is the result of many players on their team being towards the back end of contracts. Teams typically back-load the HE!! out of contracts, and figure they'll just deal with it later. (The Pats, on the other hand, have front-loaded contracts when able to avoid this very problem).

It won't cost them later, most players are taking flatout paycuts. This doesn't surprise me, they're a good team, with pretty good ownership, and players that want to win. That equals an environment where players are willing to play for less, as they are in NE.

They still have a long way to go, and the fact that they've been able to trim 29 already shows how bad some of these contracts were, but, to be fair, PIT has always "taken care of" their own, it costs in the end. BB is shrewd and heartless at times...you have to be to stay competitive.

The only way it can really cost PIT is if some of these lower money guys now go out and have big years, then want more money next. Not too likely, but can happen. I would expect by 2014, PIT will have none of these lingering issues. NYJ on the other hand....yikes, their day is coming, this year depending on holdouts, or next.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Muzwell. I keep reading that Farrior and Foote could be gone so you could be right.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In Response to Re: Steelers on mass contract restructuring spree:
    [QUOTE]Muzwell. I keep reading that Farrior and Foote could be gone so you could be right.

Posted by JohnHannahrulz[/QUOTE]

There you go. I'd grab Farrior in a heartbeat. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I think they're in "cap hell" because quite frankly they have a lot of good players. Realistically you can say they have the top two or three guys at every major position - not a lot of teams can say that. This is a team that tries to keep their own rather than spend big in free agency (they draft as good as anyone).

For all the talk about the salary cap and spending in free agency, this is a team considered to be fiscally smart about team building...this is what happens when you build it right. This ia team that was 10 million over the cap and yet they just cleared 28 million and will probably be able to keep the best young wide receiver available in free agency. The Steelers are like us - they just don't let young talent go.

They'll cut under performing guys next year if they're in "salary cap hell".

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In Response to Re: Steelers on mass contract restructuring spree:
    [QUOTE]Muzwell. I keep reading that Farrior and Foote could be gone so you could be right.
    Posted by JohnHannahrulz[/QUOTE]

Let's say they had to cut both, how old are these guys? Farrior has got to be 36, Foote has to be 31ish. You got to think if both were cut, one of them would come back at a reduced price. I don't how Farrior played last year, but I got to think at 36 he's not a guy they haven't planned on replacing or would cripple them if he left. The Steelers know how to draft linebackers, I got to think they would rather sign a young, explosive wideout that knows their system - than keep two aging linebackers.