Steelers QB Roethlisberger listed as defendant in sexual harassment suit

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Steelers QB Roethlisberger listed as defendant in sexual harassment suit

This may be just a woman looking for a payout but here's the article from foxsports.com:

Roethlisberger listed as defendant in NV lawsuit

Associated Press

RENO, Nev. (AP) - Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has been named as a defendant in a lawsuit filed by a woman in Nevada.

According to online court records, a defamation lawsuit was filed in Washoe County on Friday. Andrea McNulty is listed as the plaintiff.

Details of the suit were not available late Monday night. Roethlisberger was one of nine defendants listed in the online court docket report.

Roethlisberger's attorney released a statement to several media outlets Monday night saying the two-time Super Bowl winner was accused of sexual assault in the lawsuit by McNulty. Atlanta-based attorney David Cornwell denied Roethlisberger sexually assaulted McNulty.

"This weekend Andrea McNulty served Ben Roethlisberger with a civil complaint accusing him of sexually assaulting her in July 2008. Ben has never sexually assaulted anyone; especially Andrea McNulty. The timing of the lawsuit and the absence of a criminal complaint and a criminal investigation are the most compelling evidence of the absence of any criminal conduct. If an investigation is commenced, Ben will cooperate fully and Ben will be fully exonerated," Cornwell said.

A phone message and e-mail from the AP to Cornwell were not immediately returned.

Attorney Calvin R. Dunlap, of Reno, filed the suit, according to court documents. A telephone message left for him was not immediately returned.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

Re: Steelers QB Roethlisberger listed as defendant in sexual harassment suit

Another greedy b i t c h looking to take a bite out of some guy's bank account. Just like the BS in FL with Randy Moss and his "girlfriend", and many more that happen every day. I hate the Steelers as much as any Patriots fan, but I'm not buying into this. Nine guys "assaulted" her, yet she failed to file any criminal complaint? I understand some women are too embarrassed to go to the police after a rape or assault, but she suddenly has no shame in filing a civil action? It sounds fishy to me!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I feel the same way.Probably some chick looking for a big payday.I believe though the 9 defendants include the hotel,the security staff among others not involved in the actual alleged assualt but her lawyer wanted them named as a chance for more $$$$$$.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

If he was in Reno he would have been better off jumping into a limo and heading for the "Bunny Ranch". In the end it would have cost him less than lawyers fees, and he could have had a safe place and a choice of fine looking ladies willing to do whatever may tip his bucket! After incidents like Kobe, these guys need to be more aware of this kind of thing! At least he didn't wind up like Steve McNair!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from crono420. Show crono420's posts

where there's smoke, theres fire, if this is true, this is terrible for big bens career.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

the thing that sticks out in this is.there were no charges filed.no police reports,or any hospital visits.not to mention 9 other people involved.as much as i dont like the steelers.i dont see big ben involved in a gang bang.the women wont even make it to first base with this,or get a dime in her fraud case.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

HE'S ALREADY PROVEN HIMSELF TO BE AN IMMATURE DOPE, WITH THE MOTORCYCLE THING, SO WHO'S TO SAY? THE LACK OF A CRIMINAL COMPLAINT DOESN'T MEAN ANYTHING. A WOMAN HAS NO LEGAL OBLIGACTION TO FILE A CRIMINAL COMPLAINT FOR AN ASSAULT, ITS HER OPTION.
    I JUST THINK ITS GREAT TO HAVE SOME RAIN FALLING IN SOMEONE ELSE'S CAMP FOR A CHANGE. LET THE PRESS GO HOUND ROETHLISBERGER AND THE STEELERS THIS SEASON, INSTEAD OF THE PATS.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

"Details of the suit were not available late Monday night."

I know this is unamerican, but maybe people should wait for more--any--information before rushing to judgment one way or the other. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

I agree I mean what if thsi girl has a smoking gun? a video tape of teh assault or something? then will you still say she is just some greedy b*tch? I agree its more likely Ben didnt do anything but at the same time there is always a chance he did and if he did he would be counting on the public to make her teh bad guy and assume she is some greedy b*tch looking for a hand out you know what I mean? He would be counting on it and he would get away with raping a girl because the public is too quick to make up their minds. I am not saying this is the case but we dont know anything yet so right now the case may be that Ben assaulted this girl.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I posted another thread where the specifics are out now.It details everything that happened in the complaint(according to her). 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

I find it a bit funny that nobody was calling out anyone for saying that Randy's "girlfriend" was a gold digger before all the facts were out! Yet in the same (pretty much) scenario, only with an opponent's player being accused, people are standing up for the woman! Even if it were Peyton Manning I'd think there was something fishy about this. I'm not "judging" anyone, but with all the false accusations (and ones where the woman goes willingly, then decides to say otherwise when there's a possible huge settlement) I tend to be suspicious of any "assault" accusations where the "victim" waits before saying anything.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Bub if by people defending her you mean me then yes I defended her but as far as i can tell I am the only one who didnt start calling this girl a gold digger right off the bat. And correct me if I am wrong but Randy Moss was not being accused of rape so its a different situation. Randy was accused of assault cause he broke her finger or some c rap like that never was the word r ape brought into the story. Ben is being accused of r ape which is a far more serious accusation and I am sorry if I am not so quick to call the girl a bunch of names and cast judgement on her. I would feel very bad if it turned out she was a r ape victim and I just wrote her off as some liar. I am not saying the story isnt fishy cause it is but it is just as likely that Ben r aped her as it is she is a lyer at this point in time so why side withteh accused instead of the victim? I am not saying he did it but he could have so who are we to call her a gold digger. If she was r aped then heck yea she is entitled to a big pay day, take him for all he is worth if he did in fact r ape this girl.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Bub...I don't know what happened that evening and none of us here do.I hate the Steelers but I would hope this isn't true.But,like I said,I really don't know what happened.If he did r ape her,I hope he suffers for a long time.I just hope the truth comes out. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

The three G's: Girls, Glory, & Gold. Every man needs to be aware of the enticement therein. 

keyword-discretion 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

In Response to Re: Steelers QB Roethlisberger listed as defendant in sexual harassment suit:
    [QUOTE]HE'S ALREADY PROVEN HIMSELF TO BE AN IMMATURE DOPE, WITH THE MOTORCYCLE THING, SO WHO'S TO SAY? THE LACK OF A CRIMINAL COMPLAINT DOESN'T MEAN ANYTHING. A WOMAN HAS NO LEGAL OBLIGACTION TO FILE A CRIMINAL COMPLAINT FOR AN ASSAULT, ITS HER OPTION. I JUST THINK ITS GREAT TO HAVE SOME RAIN FALLING IN SOMEONE ELSE'S CAMP FOR A CHANGE. LET THE PRESS GO HOUND ROETHLISBERGER AND THE STEELERS THIS SEASON, INSTEAD OF THE PATS.
    Posted by unclealfie[/QUOTE]
     I agree, Big Ben never struck me as a character guy either. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from theplaintruth. Show theplaintruth's posts

Until I read the her account, I was skeptical.  After reading it, there's just too many details for it to be made up. At first, I thought it was something silly like inappropriate touching (his had accidently brushing her buttocks or breast), then I saw the word "penetrate".  That sent the issue into a totally different realm for me.  If it were your mother, aunt, sister, niece, friend, etc...  would you rail against them.  I hope not.  Something went terribly wrong in  that room.  Do we know if she NEVER tried to file a complaint? Do we know if she was advised against it by family, due to the high profile of the perpetrator?  Perhaps she did go to the police (after some time elapsed) and was told there was insufficient evidence to proceed with a criminal proceeding.  In civil court, the burden of proof is "more likely than not".  All she really has to do is connect the dots and with his other issues, he's done.  By connect the dots, I mean; did he have opportunity to commit alleged offense (did he attend this event), did he stay at that hotel, was the staff instructed to ensure his stay was uneventful (pleasurable), and produce the records of the phone calls from his room around the time of the alleged assault.  If she can do that, she will win and his career is over. 

This case is eerily similar  to that of Jake "the snake" and  Oscar DelaHoya (5 different cases).  However, Jake plea bargained his way out and Oscar had "others" ensure that the young ladies never attended a court hearing.  If you don't believe the latter, do your research in the LA Times and other medial outlets (the information is available regarding the charges and mysterious circumstances of why the cases never made it to court). 

I'm actually torn regarding this issue.  If it's true, 2 peoples lives have been and will be irrepairably damaged. If it's not, women who have truly been harmed will find their struggle for justice, just got HARDER...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

I agree after reading the details in the other thread it does seem a bit more like it could be true. Not saying it is cause he is innocent till proven guilty but she had a lot of details and if she can get the phone calls pulled (which she can have done with ease) and provide a video from her security office at the hotel showing her entering the room and leaving then she can deffently paint a picture that he r aped her in that room. I really wouldnt be shocked either, Ben has never once seemed like a high charictor guy.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

If she is lying, she's put a lot of thought into the story. After reading the details I'm less certain of my original thought, that it was a shakedown. I was more or less under the same impression as plaintruth, that it was a bunch of grabaasing and such. But her claiming he actually put it to her opens up a whole new can of worms. If there are security cameras which caught her entering and leaving the room, it will be very telling to see her body language upon leaving. IMO this will be a key point to any jurors. If in fact the hotel itself tried to dissuade her from reporting this they will be liable pretty heavily, too. I think the length of time it took her to come forth may hurt her case a bit, but maybe not so much depending on the other evidence, and how well she comes across in court. You can bet Ben will hire a lawyer who will dig up every sexual encounter she's ever had, including flashing her panties in the elementary school recess yard! Of course, Ben may very well be advised by his attorney to pay her off to avoid the publicity. If it did indeed go down like she says it's a shame she never filed a police report. In such a case the bastid should be going to jail for a long time, and not merely have to fork over some cash! At least now the media will have something to run with and hopefully our Patriots will be "forgotten" by all the morons who usually start flapping their jaws around September!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

If it goes to court I see it going down like this, she takes the stand and paints a very good picture of what he did to her and then Ben wont take the stand and it will lose him the case. I dont know why but i can just see it going down that way.

As far as how long it took her to coem forth its not really all that uncommon. I mean thats why they set the laws up the way they do so that you can still come forth later if you want. There have been cases where a person has waited something like ten years before finaly coming out and telling people what happened. Sometimes its not as easy as people think to face the truth. And if she went to the hotel and they brushed her off and or made her feel like she would lose her job if she opened her mouth then that very well could have made it harder for her to speak up.

And once again, if Ben pays this women and settles out of court he did it and he is a r apist. You dont pay the dime unless you did the crime.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

The girl was hospitalized for depression after the incident. Ben is toast on this. He will cough up big bucks to try and bury it, but it will haunt him forever. This lady has a lot of evidence that a jury will listen to. And the whole hotel was in on the coverup. Somebody will spill.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Yea Ray Lewis was accused of stabing a guy like 12 years ago, and he was cleared of all charges and still to this day people call him a murderer and what not. If he pays this girl off he will forever be thought of as a r apist. And rightfully so, if he pays her off its cause he did it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from theplaintruth. Show theplaintruth's posts

In Response to Re: Steelers QB Roethlisberger listed as defendant in sexual harassment suit:
    [QUOTE]Yea Ray Lewis was accused of stabing a guy like 12 years ago, and he was cleared of all charges and still to this day people call him a murderer and what not. If he pays this girl off he will forever be thought of as a r apist. And rightfully so, if he pays her off its cause he did it.
    Posted by MVPkilla[/QUOTE]

The way the Ray Lewis story was reported (ESPN included), you would've sworn Ray was Jason Vorhees.  The only thing he as guilty of was not providing the police with what he knew immediately upon their asking.  The charges stemmed from him "just being there".  In TX it's referred to as the "rule of parties".  Meaning if you're there when it goes down, you're just as guilty as the party who actually committed the crime. It was inacted to coerce defendents to "roll" on each other.  After sitting on several juries where this was in play, it caused me to provide briefings to my children and young Airmen who worked for me to choose your associates with extreme caution.  If you pulled up to a 7 Eleven and your "friends" go in (while you remain in the car), and someone exits with more than they entered with or someone held up the store, you're considered an accomplice even though you may of had absolutely nothing to do with it. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from theplaintruth. Show theplaintruth's posts

In most cases criminal convictions (or cases) have been used as the trigger mechanism for a civil case.  In this case, I think it "could" have the reverse effect.  Apparently, Ben thinks he's untouchable.  I base this on the fact that he's allowed this to come to light in the first place.  Civil Process mandates advance notification of all fillings etc... He and his legal team had knowledge of the intent to file months ago.  Rather than settle on the "down low" with a "no disclosure" agreement, he chose to roll the dice.  This miscalculation will cost him his career if he doesn't settle NOW.  Losing the civil case could undoubtably result in her deciding to seek criminal charges.  The Nevade authorities have decided that they won't pursue unless the young woman or "third party" file a criminal complaint.  She may be using the civil case to recapture evidence she lost.  Since rules of evidence differ in civil court, this may be a unique opportunity to legally force the defendants to return it or face criminal charges of contempt.
    Either way, unless this young woman is a complete lunatic, Big Ben's "time is running out".   

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

The more I read the more it looks like something happened and they covered it up.