2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

Re: Steelers waive Mesko

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Average, punts inside the 20, returnable yards, the fact he is only a rookie... the only fact is that you'd be dissatisfied and clinically depressed regardless the Patriots record. 

[/QUOTE]

Average:  12th

Inside the 20:  5th
    (touchbacks:  tied for league lead)

Return yards:  16th

Return yard average:  15th

Net yards:  14th

One of the best right there, Wozzy. 

Feel free to excuse yourself from this conversation.  No need to reply.  You're clearly pulling statements out of thin air.

[/QUOTE]

N-A-S, I haven't a clue where you got those numbers.  They are totally inconsistent with these which, with all due respect, I trust a lot more than yours:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/punting

According to ESPN the pats are ranked 5th in punting (Pitt 24th)

So in fact Ryan is one of the best punters

Ergo, based on facts which we know now - BB made the right football decision

this really isnt debatable

[/QUOTE]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

N-A-S, I haven't a clue where you got those numbers.  They are totally inconsistent with these which, with all due respect, I trust a lot more than yours:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/punting

[/QUOTE]

I used the ESPN stats as well, but used the individual player numbers instead of the team numbers.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to seawolfxs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

According to ESPN the pats are ranked 5th in punting (Pitt 24th)

So in fact Ryan is one of the best punters

Ergo, based on facts which we know now - BB made the right football decision

this really isnt debatable

[/QUOTE]

5th in total yards.  That doesn't begin to tell the story.

Ergo, this statement is moo (cow's opinion).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I hear ESPN is full of crap...they have an anti-BB agenda...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

you are right on ranked 5th in yds

But Mesko is way down in everything

Ryan has been getting better every week , he has a pedigree

ESPN stats are different than ESPN opinion jocks

It was still thje best move by BB

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Is there a sports outlet, be it radio, TV, print or online, that doesn't have an anti-BB agenda?

They all do, rkarp.  Every one of them is against Belichick..

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Facts are a btch aren't they NAS.

The reality is Allen is a top punter as a rookie and still improving.  And he certainly didn't get much in the way of help from our offense early on, which is evident in the number of time he's had to punt. 

You should probably punt on this thread.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

Facts are a btch aren't they NAS.

The reality is Allen is a top punter as a rookie and still improving.  And he certainly didn't get much in the way of help from our offense early on, which is evident in the number of time he's had to punt. 

You should probably punt on this thread.

[/QUOTE]

I'll ask you the same question again:

What makes him a top punter? 

His stats say differently.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I'm pretty sure the posters above and espn stats confirmed what I said. 

Being 3rd in yards, tied at 4th for punts inside the 20, 12th and climbing in average yards per punt, as well as only allowing an average of 8 yards on returns per punt makes him among the best and improving.

What next, you'll argue the world is not round, chocolate isn't a popular dessert option and Victoria's Secret can't sell some undies?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

Wozzy, why are you using total yards (total anything) in determining the effectiveness of a punter?  Allen has the second most punts in the league due to the Pats offense's struggles.  This naturally means any total stat will be inflated and among the league leaders.

What's important for a punter are Net Average, and % of punts downed inside the 20 (especially as related to number of touchbacks).  Allen's been slightly above league average in these stats.  As a rookie, that's pretty good and a far better performance than Mesko's had this year.  In time he could be one of the best in the league, but there's no reason to label him one of the best when he's not yet, just because you dislike the poster you're arguing with.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to MattC05's comment:

Wozzy, why are you using total yards (total anything) in determining the effectiveness of a punter?  Allen has the second most punts in the league due to the Pats offense's struggles.  This naturally means any total stat will be inflated and among the league leaders.

What's important for a punter are Net Average, and % of punts downed inside the 20 (especially as related to number of touchbacks).  Allen's been slightly above league average in these stats.  As a rookie, that's pretty good and a far better performance than Mesko's had this year.  In time he could be one of the best in the league, but there's no reason to label him one of the best when he's not yet, just because you dislike the poster you're arguing with.

He's tied at 4th for punts inside the 20, substantially better than average with 32 teams represented.  His average per punt (12th, better than average) is increasing on a week by week basis, say what you want about the offense, they aren't getting shut down on their own side of the field that often.  The team only gives up 8 yards per punt return, substantially better than average and a lot of that is his kicking, hangtime and placement.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

[QUOTE]

He's tied at 4th for punts inside the 20, substantially better than average with 32 teams represented.  His average per punt (12th, better than average) is increasing on a week by week basis, say what you want about the offense, they aren't getting shut down on their own side of the field that often.  The team only gives up 8 yards per punt return, substantially better than average and a lot of that is his kicking, hangtime and placement. 

[/QUOTE]

Again, you're using total punts inside the 20.  That's a useless stat.  He has 16/47 punts downed inside the 20 (~34%); that's 16th in the league.  Dead average.  He also has 7/47 touchbacks (~14.9%); lower is better in this category, and he is 28th in that category.

Gross average is 12th, but that means NOTHING.  NET average is what matters.  He is 14th in the league in that stat.  Slightly above average.

He is 15th in yards per returnable punt.  Average.  He excels in number of returnable punts (only 16/47 returned, 34%): 6th in the league.   Of course, part of this is the number of touchbacks and punts inside the 20; punting from near midfield is naturally going to decrease the number of returns.  Still, 6th in the league is pretty good.

All this means he's an above average punter, but as of right now, he is NOT one of the best in the league.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to MattC05's comment:

Again, you're using total punts inside the 20.  That's a useless stat.  He has 16/47 punts downed inside the 20 (~34%); that's 16th in the league.  Dead average.  He also has 7/47 touchbacks (~14.9%); lower is better in this category, and he is 28th in that category.

Gross average is 12th, but that means NOTHING.  NET average is what matters.  He is 14th in the league in that stat.  Slightly above average.

He is 15th in yards per returnable punt.  Average.  He excels in number of returnable punts (only 16/47 returned, 34%): 6th in the league.   Of course, part of this is the number of touchbacks and punts inside the 20; punting from near midfield is naturally going to decrease the number of returns.  Still, 6th in the league is pretty good.

All this means he's an above average punter, but as of right now, he is NOT one of the best in the league.

You don't divide the number of punts inside the twenty into the total number of punts, that is an indicator of nothing.  The total number of punts inside the 20 is the only yardstick for directional punting. 

Average per punt is the only yardstick for distance punting, return yards is indicitive of your special teams coverage but it also speaks to the kicker's ability to kick high and create hangtime. 

If there are 32 teams in the NFL and he is in the top five as a rookie with room to improve than yes, he is already among the best.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

[QUOTE]

You don't divide the number of punts inside the twenty into the total number of punts, that is an indicator of nothing.  The total number of punts inside the 20 is the only yardstick for directional punting.  Average per punt is the only yardstick for distance punting, return yards is indicitive of your special teams coverage but it also speaks to the kicker's ability to kick high and create hangtime.

[/QUOTE]

You are somewhat correct on the first point, which is why I also pointed out his touchbacks.  The combination of the two is how you can judge situational punting.  Total punts inside the 20 by itself means nothing; if one punter has 23 punts from inside opponent's territory, but only 16 are downed inside the 20, that's not as good as the player who has 13, 12 of which are downed inside the 20.  The first player there is Allen, the second is Brandon Fields of Miami, who is the ACTUAL best punter in the league this year.

Gross average per punt means nothing; if you outkick your coverage, you're a bad punter.  That's why NET average is more important.  It takes gross average into account, as well as fair catches and return yardage

In actuallity, Allen is dead average in return yardage, as I posted: 15th.  I actually made a mistake on this one, as I had average return sorted highest first.  He is actually 17th out of 32.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Two things here:

1. Sure, it's all well and good to be dismissive of mere punters, but these are the guys you never notice until they do something incredibly bad or incredibly good. Somebody said average punters are a dime a dozen and that's ostensibly true, but when you play outdoors in a predominantly bad-weather division, you would be wise not to take the position for granted and . . .

2. Zoltan Mesko may just be the coolest sports name since Xree Hip (which is about the only reason I didn't get all apopleptic when the guy had the temerity to wear Steve Grogan's number).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Muzwell's comment:
    [QUOTE]

(In my best Allen Iverson) We're talking about punters!? Punters? Not the game, not football players, punters? Punters...

[/QUOTE]

Field position in football is important.

[/QUOTE]

True, but punters aren't. This guy is good, the last guy was good, the next guy will be fine. They're pretty much all interchangeable.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from CommyContrarianOnTwitter. Show CommyContrarianOnTwitter's posts

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Cut the punter.  Yeah, that will turn your team around.

[/QUOTE]

+10.. just tryin to wake up da team by making mesko da easy scapegoat. will b picked up by a dome team soon.. will make extra coin

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Wozzy,

Total yards means nothing.  He has no affect on his number of attempts.

Return yardage could be a slight factor, but the Pats special teams unit is also involved with that.

Kicks inside the 20 are important, but not as a way to judge a punter.  Opportunity is a factor there.

You say that he's one of the best in the league, but have given nothing to show this.

Maybe, like his draft position, you're just making stuff up here?

Walk away.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Pitt is basically done. They are trying to clear their books to figure out where they're going to be.

Again, Mesko was a tryout signing and he wasn't good enough based on the market. So, Pitt is cleaning house, starting there.

Expect more of these moves, especially when it becomes painfully apparent KEvin Colbert's teamm build in recent years has been atrocious, wothy of a firing by many organization's standards.

They're old, have a limited pipeline and will miss the playoffs for the second straight year.  One of the biggest concerns is their QB.  The other is Dick LeBeau's interest and age, Haley not working well with Rapelisberger and Mike Tomlin being completely overrated.

I've mentioned these things the last 2 years, but they had been ignored by the anit-BBite trolls here who wanted our team more like the Steelers. lmao

[/QUOTE]

More like the team that has won two of the last five Superbowls.

Yeah, I'd hate that.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

Pitt was won 2 SBs in the last 5 years. Umm, no they haven't. Our team had two chances and our QB choked. SUcks when Big Ben played better in his last SB over our QB.

[/QUOTE]

Whoops.  My error.  You're right.

They've won two in the last eight years.

How many have the Pats won recently?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]

Whoops.  My error.  You're right.

[/QUOTE]

Lol, you mispoke buddy, according to your rationale, this makes you wrong right?

You should probably walk away.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

No real fans...

[/QUOTE]

...spend 99% of their time destroying the greatest player in team history.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

No real fans...

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Nope. Real fans are honest.  If Ray Bourque sucked at age 36 with the Bs, I would have admitted as much at that time.

YOU are a homer/fanboy type who apparently also likes men.   That's the difference between you and I.

I don't care if Brady is the best player in team history in 2013. I care that he tries to do things successfully to HELP, not HURT our team, especially in postseasons.

Not debatable he's been AWFUL most of the time in recent postseasons with his preferred style of offense.

Not debatable.

Run the ball, no throwing more than 35 times with a lead.

[/QUOTE]

Wish the great BB didn't bench their best running back in the playoffs... and basically every other game since.... Nice work, Bill.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Bungalow-Bill's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

No real fans...

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Nope. Real fans are honest.  If Ray Bourque sucked at age 36 with the Bs, I would have admitted as much at that time.

YOU are a homer/fanboy type who apparently also likes men.   That's the difference between you and I.

I don't care if Brady is the best player in team history in 2013. I care that he tries to do things successfully to HELP, not HURT our team, especially in postseasons.

Not debatable he's been AWFUL most of the time in recent postseasons with his preferred style of offense.

Not debatable.

Run the ball, no throwing more than 35 times with a lead.

[/QUOTE]

Wish the great BB didn't bench their best running back in the playoffs... and basically every other game since.... Nice work, Bill.

[/QUOTE]

Who did he bench, Bustchise?

[/QUOTE]

Umm, Ridley you bozo. Then he kept subbing Woodhead in for Green-Ellis. Thanks, BB.