Stevan Ridley has the highest rushing average in team history!!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

Stevan Ridley has the highest rushing average in team history!!!

At this point, Ridley has a career average of 4.42 yards per carry, which is higher than that of Corey Dillon, Sam Cunningham, Curtis Martin, and Jim Nance. He apparently needs 26 more carries to become officially enshrined in the team's history as the #1 most productive back ever. I am gobsmacked, as my Brit friends say.

This little gem is from the Patriots press release in advance of the Bengals game.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Re: Stevan Ridley has the highest rushing average in team history!!!

In response to neinmd's comment:

At this point, Ridley has a career average of 4.42 yards per carry, which is higher than that of Corey Dillon, Sam Cunningham, Curtis Martin, and Jim Nance. He apparently needs 26 more carries to become officially enshrined in the team's history as the #1 most productive back ever. I am gobsmacked, as my Brit friends say.

This little gem is from the Patriots press release in advance of the Bengals game.

Ridley is a very talented back who has trouble holding onto the ball. I always laugh when someone says either Bolden or Blount is anywhere the talent Ridley is. Vareen, one can make an argument for, but no one else on the roster. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

http://prod.static.patriots.clubs.nfl.com/assets/docs/game-releases/2013/20131006_release.pdf

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

I'd be a little careful about reading too much into that.  RBs get bad in a hurry and many have some unproductive seasons that hurt their career YPC before they retire.  I like Ridley, but no way is he a better runner than a Dillon or a Nance.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

he's also a great pass blocker and getting to be a good receiver.

Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

I'd be a little careful about reading too much into that.  RBs get bad in a hurry and many have some unproductive seasons that hurt their career YPC before they retire.  I like Ridley, but no way is he a better runner than a Dillon or a Nance.

Perhaps, but you have to admit it's shocking to learn this. To have already created this body of work is quite remarkable. I remember Sam Bam and Jim Nance and loved watching them run. Stevan has quickness and can get 4-5 yards in a hurry and I guess it's easy to underestimate his achievements.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Where's Babe at to make fun of him...???

I love this kid and I hope he continues to get better, and learn to hold onto the football which he has been doing of late.

Goodluck to him and the rest of the back field.  They are playing very well together right now, and even Develin is playing well.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to Getzo's comment:

Where's Babe at to make fun of him...???

I love this kid and I hope he continues to get better, and learn to hold onto the football which he has been doing of late.

Goodluck to him and the rest of the back field.  They are playing very well together right now, and even Develin is playing well.  

god i hate babe's opinon of Ridley. He's our most consistent back since Dillon which i argued with Babe on an eariler post after week 1. i love ridley

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Ridley blows.

I guess I'll have to school a few of you jabros yet again.

Lawrence Maroney had a per run average higher than that of Corey Dillon, Sam Cunningham, Curtis Martin, and Jim Nance after two years.

And that average per carry was a miniscule .03 yards less than Ridley has right now.

So, how'd that work out?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to Getzo's comment:

You mean he's all done fumbling the ball when he isn't even touched? Spectacular progress!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I like Ridley and think the kid has a good deal to offer the team.  Although his ball security issues need to be addressed so did Kevin Faulk's who had 6 fumbles in his second year.  I'm not saying that it's a lock but I see no reason why this kid can't get beyond this.

And, yes, that is a bit of an eye-opener in terms of where Ridley stands in terms of YPC.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjbag. Show jjbag's posts

I dont care if he has a 10.5 yrd per carry, if he doesn't hold onto the ball all those yrd per mean squat.

It's not that he fumbles, everyone does eventually its his timing of those fumbles, that are scary, he can go 12 games without dropping the rock, then when the game is close he forgets to keep a hold of it an will fumble on our side of the field.

Once he can give me a full year without dropping the rock with bad timing, i'll change my tune, until then, each time he gets the ball, i'm scared cadycorn less.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LittleTimmy31. Show LittleTimmy31's posts

If Ridley can hold onto the football, he will be one of the most productive backs in Pats history. Time will tell if he can be fumble-free. If not, he will be history....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I like Ridley but that stat is a bit misleading. One thing is Ridley is a RB by committee back and has switched off back and forth with other backs on the team. The more a RB runs the lower the YPC average usually. If you need proof just look at Woodhead. 5.6YPC the year he came here and 4.6YPC the next year. Heck Woodhead has a 4.8YPC average over his career. That sounds absolutely amazing until you realize that he is only used in certain situations that best show off his abilities.

Another thing to consider, is as pcmIV pointed out, Ridley is still young and has had to put the miles on yet. By that as he gets older he's bound to have lesser years and over his career his average will drop. Most young RBs start off strong but either can't last over the years or as they get older they adapt their running and their ypc usually drops. I mean 1 year as a starter doesn't exactly make a career when comparing it to Martin, Dillon, Nance.

As much as I like the kid I do find it funny the team is releasing these stats. There has to be a different motive for them other than saying that Ridley is better than any of those guys. Maybe trying to boast his confidence, maybe his jersey sales have dropped, maybe to get it in Cin's head that Ridley is a bigger threat then our passing game. Who knows but as of right now Ridley has a long way before we can compare him to those greats.

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

In response to LittleTimmy31's comment:

If Ridley can hold onto the football, he will be one of the most productive backs in Pats history. Time will tell if he can be fumble-free. If not, he will be history....

That's an assessment I can agree with. If he can hold on to the ball, I think this kid will become a premier back in the league. He hits the line hard, does not have dancing feet, has deceptive speed, and most of his runs are right up the gut.

I like what I have seen of Blount too. Between these guys, this team can run out the clock at the end of games. Something we have not been able to do since Clock Killin' Corey Dillon.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from scash2013. Show scash2013's posts

Curtis Martin was a gamebreaker, a Hall of Fame running back that defenses had to plan around. Implying that Ridley is, or ever will be, in his league is just silly.

Best case scenario for Ridley, if he stops fumbling, is a poor man's Antwoine Smith. He could be a solid back, that's his ceiling. Don't let the numbers fool you.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to scash2013's comment:

Curtis Martin was a gamebreaker, a Hall of Fame running back that defenses had to plan around. Implying that Ridley is, or ever will be, in his league is just silly.

Best case scenario for Ridley, if he stops fumbling, is a poor man's Antwoine Smith. He could be a solid back, that's his ceiling. Don't let the numbers fool you.

I'd say that given Ridley size and speed he's closer to Martin than Smith who was a north south runner similar to Cunningham, Dillon and Nance. Comparing Ridley stats to any of them is an exercise in futility each of them played in entirely different run dominant offenses. Dillon might be better example of Ridleys upside but even Dillon was a between the tackles north south runner. Who carried the ball 25 times a game and wore defenses out. Of the backs on our roster Blount is more in line with the above. Martin was the prototypical halfback in a two back set. 

As for Ridley propensity to put the ball on the turf. Statistically speaking his run to fumble ratio is not out of the norm there's many HOF backs with simlilar pct to start their careers. Fumbling is a function of ball security and many of his fumbles have come when he's trying to extend a run and allows the defender to put his helmet on the ball. Which is what happened in last years AFC Championship game against Baltimore...When he was knocked out on a helmet to helmet hit. Which I still think should have resulted in a flag. So it's double edged sword, you want him to continue to drive his legs and get the tough yards, sometimes it better just to go down and protect the football. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:

I'd say that given Ridley size and speed he's closer to Martin than Smith who was a north south runner similar to Cunningham, Dillon and Nance. Comparing Ridley stats to any of them is an exercise in futility each of them played in entirely different run dominant offenses. Dillon might be better example of Ridleys upside but even Dillon was a between the tackles north south runner. Who carried the ball 25 times a game and wore defenses out. Of the backs on our roster Blount is more in line with the above. Martin was the prototypical halfback in a two back set. 

As for Ridley propensity to put the ball on the turf. Statistically speaking his run to fumble ratio is not out of the norm there's many HOF backs with simlilar pct to start their careers. Fumbling is a function of ball security and many of his fumbles have come when he's trying to extend a run and allows the defender to put his helmet on the ball. Which is what happened in last years AFC Championship game against Baltimore...When he was knocked out on a helmet to helmet hit. Which I still think should have resulted in a flag. So it's double edged sword, you want him to continue to drive his legs and get the tough yards, sometimes it better just to go down and protect the football. 

I agree with most of what you said. The stats were put out there by the team. I don't subscribe to the idea that the stats prove Ridley is a better runner than Dillon, Martin, Cunningham or Nance. The idea that he could be the leading rushing average back for the team on an all-time basis was shocking to me. He has miles to go (literally) before we can consider him in the same league as some of these guys from the past.

Having said that, I think he has a chance to be a great runner. He needs to get better on ball protection and needs to develop more confidence in following his blockers, both of which will come with time and experience. He has more raw talent than he gets credit for, though. I think the team sees that potential and they are being more patient with him than usual.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to neinmd's comment:

In response to Beantowne's comment:

I agree with most of what you said. The stats were put out there by the team. I don't subscribe to the idea that the stats prove Ridley is a better runner than Dillon, Martin, Cunningham or Nance. The idea that he could be the leading rushing average back for the team on an all-time basis was shocking to me. He has miles to go (literally) before we can consider him in the same league as some of these guys from the past.

Having said that, I think he has a chance to be a great runner. He needs to get better on ball protection and needs to develop more confidence in following his blockers, both of which will come with time and experience. He has more raw talent than he gets credit for, though. I think the team sees that potential and they are being more patient with him than usual.

I too think that Ridley is and will be a very productive back. I concur that Belichecks sees the upside and as long as Ridley continues to show improvement. He'll get the rock...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

Ridley blows.

I guess I'll have to school a few of you jabros yet again.

Lawrence Maroney had a per run average higher than that of Corey Dillon, Sam Cunningham, Curtis Martin, and Jim Nance after two years.

And that average per carry was a miniscule .03 yards less than Ridley has right now.

So, how'd that work out?

* Did he really use the term "jabro"?"  "2 demerits"

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I like Ridley but I gotta tell ya, I hold my breath every time he runs with the ball.  For some reason I always think he is going to fumble.  I don't have trust in the guy. 

I nned to know....... When the game is on the line do you trust him enough to give him the ball?

---------------------------------------------

"Being the best doesn't mean you always win. It just means you win more than anybody else."  Text received by Tom Brady from Kurt Warner after Ravens loss.

view my Patriots photoshops at patsfanfotoshop.tumblr.com

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Section136. Show Section136's posts

Curtis averaged 2.9 fumbles a year, Ridley is currently averaging 2.0 per year.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from DanishPastry. Show DanishPastry's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

I like Ridley but I gotta tell ya, I hold my breath every time he runs with the ball.  For some reason I always think he is going to fumble.  I don't have trust in the guy. 

I nned to know....... When the game is on the line do you trust him enough to give him the ball?

---------------------------------------------

"Being the best doesn't mean you always win. It just means you win more than anybody else."  Text received by Tom Brady from Kurt Warner after Ravens loss.

view my Patriots photoshops at patsfanfotoshop.tumblr.com

Yes and no. In my gut I always fear he will put the ball on the ground. With my head I know he actually fumbles about as much as Adrian Peterson, and half as much as a guy named Spiller.

Running backs fumble from time to time. Sh*t happens. In that regard we were spoiled by BJGE.

I will admit, however, that I'm surprised that his average yardage is a franchise high so far. He doesen't strike me as THAT explosive.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

If we can throw and complete a minimum of 3 passes a game to him, I'd be really happy. Defense would have to defend more of the field, not thinking he is only in for the run. Open up the field for the Wide Recievers. Runningbacks are the best at breaking tackles, for long gains. Most big plays in a football game are because of mis-tackles.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

If we can throw and complete a minimum of 3 passes a game to him, I'd be really happy. Defense would have to defend more of the field, not thinking he is only in for the run. Open up the field for the Wide Recievers. Runningbacks are the best at breaking tackles, for long gains. Most big plays in a football game are because of mis-tackles.

This is an important area of development for Ridley. I agree. Especially with the limited WR options, having a running back that can act as an outlet is potentially huge. Vereen does this extraordinarily well. Kevin Faulk built a career on it.