Stop benching Maroney!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from gridlocked. Show gridlocked's posts

Re: Stop benching Maroney!!

Lets just suppose the Pats make the Super Bowl and are down 6 with seconds left to play, its 4th and goal at the 1.  They have missed three straight pass attempts.

Maroney gets the call up the middle and fumbles the ball at the half yard line or even closer - maybe an arguement can be made that he crossed the imaginary line but its not evident on replay so the Pats lose.

Under that circumstance which based on his history could happen who would be rooting for Maroney at that point?

Beyond discussions about Maroney right now the Pats need to address the running back situation into next year and long term.

With the exception of Faulk (who isn't a first down back) all the current backs are not long term answers do to either age, injury proneness, or being unable to hang onto the ball at crucial times. The offense has struggled in large part imo due to a lack of a consistent running game which hampers the passing game. If a D can almost ignore the running threat the passing attack can be targeted with additional weapons.

The draft has not been the way to go in the past.  The successful answer in the past has been a free agent Fred Taylor 'like' older back looking for a ring. Antwoine Smith and Corey Dillion were significant cogs in SB years for the Pats. Taylor may provide that also here but his long term injury out of the box left the team in the lurch.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Marcus1973. Show Marcus1973's posts

He would of been on the bench much more this year if Morris and Taylor were healthy. On the bench is where he should be if all are healthy.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from falline. Show falline's posts

What are you a Jets fan?

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ush. Show ush's posts

Hahahahha.....there are a ton of hilarious responses...the last one possibly being the best!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Here's the good news, Maroney is having maybe his best year.  That said he is the 3rd running back behind, Morris and Taylor.  He can also do a little in the passing game if asked too.  So look at it like this, he is probably the best 3rd running back on any team on the NFL.  I'm not counting Faulk because the Pats seem to use him differently. 

Couple that with Vollmer, Light and Kackzur playing well and the Pats have thier strongest run game since 2004.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yapple. Show Yapple's posts

"BB has said before that once a player fumbles, the opposing team will attack the ball relentlessly every time that player has the ball."

Possibly. Maybe they should concentrate on tackling first.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rebels1520. Show rebels1520's posts

pats7393,

i said there was no reason to NOT bench maroney

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

You put the football in,
    You let the football out,
    You fumbled again
    And you dance  all about.
    You do the Phoney Maroney
    And you prance yourself around,
    That's what it's all about.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Harley, you left out the great press conferences he gives each week and the way he manages to squeeze into every celebration - what exactly is he celebrating in that picture on the front page?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

Got me mighty?  inclusion by association maybe. He should on the bench with coach Fears next to him telling him he's about out of chances.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Maroney has been mostly underperforming since he's been here, that is when he has been healthy enough to perform at all.  Fumbling 3 times on the goal line (not to mention the other times he's coughed it up) is unacceptable.  Belichick has given this guy lots of opportunity and, although he's shown occasional flashes, he's certainly not lived up to what one would expect from a first round draft choice.  Benching him was absolutelty the right call since other options were clearly available and proved effective.  I don't think Maroney's a bum but thus far he's nothing close to being an every down back.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jshinny. Show jshinny's posts

It is extraordinarily frustrating to have to keep watching Maroney fumble at key moments this year and his mediocre career has been a disappointment but he is still the only homerun threat the Patriots have at RB.  He has been more than serviceable this year.  Loved the benching yesterday but I am sure he will be back on the field next week.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbincpumpkin. Show dbincpumpkin's posts

I say bench him the rest of the season, then trade him or release him;  Maroney has been a huge disappointment and 3 fumbles at the goal line is unacceptable.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdaytona. Show jimdaytona's posts

If the Pats are to make a serious run at the SB it will be the likes of Morris and Taylor who will get them there and not Maroney.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wendylee03. Show Wendylee03's posts

Im sick of all the Local Yocals saying oh hes starting to show promise, just give him another chance.  I say we form a mob and go Super Glue his azzz to the bench.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

Did he get benched? I thought they were resting him for the playoffs.Wink

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Yet somehow he still managed to start 15 games for us this season and through some pretty horrible performances by our offensive line... 

His 194 carries on the season are more than Fred Taylor, Sammy Morris and Kevin Faulk combined (184).  Oh yeah and he leads the team in kickoff returns...

I've never seen such vitriolic criticism or intense cheering against one of our own players before except by trolls or over on the Red Sox board, as if Laurence's fumble was comparable to Bill Buckner's poor fielding against the Met's.

Pat's fans are spoiled by success, and while I can never justify sticking up for somebody who is fumbling, a little perspective is in order...  Maroney will still start and excell for us in the playoffs.  We did win that game last Sunday didn't we...? 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SICOFITALL. Show SICOFITALL's posts

Excell in what, double baging? He hasnt lived up to his first rd. pick and hasnt sniffed 100yrds, thats 63 yrds a game, he cant give us that, cause he cant stay healthy. HE HASNT PERFORMED..EVER! Enough with this, "hes running hard" , "hes been more productive lately". Lately, its been 5yrs! Whi am I a troll for wanting to upgrade from phoney baloney, to I dunno, maybe J-Charles who we could have had in the 2nd rd. Every year and I mean every year their are backs who get drafted in the 2-3rd rd. and produce and produce. But no, u wanna sit n watch baloney run into mankins azz and neil's back. Please enlighten me to why U wanna keep this guy, the pats, despite what most think have had a top ten o-line the past five years, but u wanna blame them. Oh no, u wanna blame the way he's used. U guys r jokes!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jealpha. Show jealpha's posts

without Laurence fumble at Indy - there would be no 4th and 2.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Reb sorry guess I didn't read it correctly, there's an article about LM and how he is not the odd man out.  Can't seem to find it but read it last night maybe NFL.com but it says that the coaching staff has been accomodating to him to grow but it quotes the coaching staff and BB as telling the players when you carry the ball you carry the life of the team in your hands, when you drop it the teams suffers.
    With Taylor back, morris running well and the ageless one Kevin "Mr Patriot" still here LM is where he belongs on the bench and maybe even without a roster spot (that one is me).  What ever happened to three name?  I like BGE, didn't he come up big last year in the last 4 weeks when everyone was hurt?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tnutts. Show Tnutts's posts

I love how people blame HIM for us drafting him in the first round LMAO

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from boomerst3. Show boomerst3's posts

Adrian Peterson fumbled last night in overtime.  Next play, TD by Chicago.  His fumble cost them the game.  He fumbles a lot.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from boomerst3. Show boomerst3's posts

We also tend to forget Brady threw an interception in the end zone against Indy...in the same quarter Maroney fumbled in.  Can we say without that interception there would be no 4th and 2?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

Benching was the correct move. He ran well in the drive and was rewarded with the ball down at the goal line despite the fact we have 2 backs better suited to blast it in. He screwed up and got punished. Case closed