Suggestions to make the league safer

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Suggestions to make the league safer

1. New helmets. More research needs to be done to find a safer helmet. Don't care if the helmets look dumb or not...I'm pretty sure the model most players are using isn't considered the safest model right now. Riddell needs to produce safer helmets if it wants to remain the brand.

2. Expand rosters. Expanded rosters should make it less likely that a coach play a player who suffered from a concussion sooner than he should.

3. Educate. See if former players who are currently suffering through head trauma are willing to give symposiums about the ill effects of potential head trauma. The culture of the game is still to hide your injuries, man up, and play through it. Something like head injuries should not be something a player brushes aside...maybe hearing about what a member of the football fraternity is going through will be more impactful thn hearing about studies.

Personally, I'd like to see initiatives like these come forth before the league gets into changing the rules of the game completely. Any other suggestions? Disagree with mine?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

Re: Suggestions to make the league safer

In Response to Suggestions to make the league safer:
    [QUOTE]1. New helmets. More research needs to be done to find a safer helmet. Don't care if the helmets look dumb or not...I'm pretty sure the model most players are using isn't considered the safest model right now. Riddell needs to produce safer helmets if it wants to remain the brand. 2. Expand rosters. Expanded rosters should make it less likely that a coach play a player who suffered from a concussion sooner than he should. 3. Educate. See if former players who are currently suffering through head trauma are willing to give symposiums about the ill effects of potential head trauma. The culture of the game is still to hide your injuries, man up, and play through it. Something like head injuries should not be something a player brushes aside...maybe hearing about what a member of the football fraternity is going through will be more impactful thn hearing about studies. Personally, I'd like to see initiatives like these come forth before the league gets into changing the rules of the game completely. Any other suggestions? Disagree with mine?
    Posted by dapats1281[/QUOTE]

Great! All should be adopted along with
    4) Change kickoffs to reduce impact of violent collisions. Substitute a punt system all lined up at line of scrimage from the 50 yd line (or thereabouts).

5) Enforce existing rules about hip, thigh and shoulder padding.

6) Give incentives and awards for promoting player safety: bonuses for not injuring others.

7) Lobby Goodell for the above via an organized fan campaign

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In Response to Re: Suggestions to make the league safer:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Suggestions to make the league safer : Great! All should be adopted along with 4) Change kickoffs to reduce impact of violent collisions. Substitute a punt system all lined up at line of scrimage from the 50 yd line (or thereabouts). 5) Enforce existing rules about hip, thigh and shoulder padding. 6) Give incentives and awards for promoting player safety: bonuses for not injuring others. 7) Lobby Goodell for the above via an organized fan campaign
    Posted by NYC[/QUOTE]

How would you go about rewarding players for not hurting others. I understand the intent, but I feel that may lead players from shying away from contact overall. I'm not really sure if it's possible to impose that kind of system

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Suggestions to make the league safer : How would you go about rewarding players for not hurting others. I understand the intent, but I feel that may lead players from shying away from contact overall.

We're removing that...  Ya know, "contact"?  O-U-T.  You interupted NYC before he got to #8. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

The only way to make pro football "safe" is to put an end to it, as we know it. Players are getting bigger and faster every year. Pro football is what it is, a violent, physical game. It's a glorious war game, played using real soldiers. It's the modern day version of gladiators fighting in the Coliseum.

The older guys who played the game likely didn't fully understand, and/or appreciate the risks involved in playing pro football. The questions that will be answered in the courts is, "Whether the NFL knew, or should have known, about the risks?...and, if they knew or should have known, "Did the league have a duty to warn the players, and/or take steps to prevent injuries?" 

The current league and it's players should know the score by now.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Suggestions to make the league safer : How would you go about rewarding players for not hurting others. I understand the intent, but I feel that may lead players from shying away from contact overall. I'm not really sure if it's possible to impose that kind of system

If a players actions (tackles, collisions, plays defensed, offensive touches etc.) cause no harm to other players their salary could be increased by x percentage points. x = ammt. sufficient to motivate players to stay safe as possible.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

[QUOTE]     The only way to make pro football "safe" is to put an end to it, as we know it. Players are getting bigger and faster every year. Pro football is what it is, a violent, physical game. It's a glorious war game, played using real soldiers. It's the modern day version of gladiators fighting in the Coliseum.      The older guys who played the game likely didn't fully understand, and/or appreciate the risks involved in playing pro football. The questions that will be answered in the courts is, "Whether the NFL knew, or should have known, about the risks?...and, if they knew or should have known, "Did the league have a duty to warn the players, and/or take steps to prevent injuries?"       The current league and it's players should know the score by now.  
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

Tex

"Should know the score" is hopeful thinking. Most are still in denial that their actions can harm themselves and others, most don't realize drug addiction, depression and trauma are real.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

[QUOTE]     The only way to make pro football "safe" is to put an end to it, as we know it. Players are getting bigger and faster every year. Pro football is what it is, a violent, physical game. It's a glorious war game, played using real soldiers. It's the modern day version of gladiators fighting in the Coliseum.      The older guys who played the game likely didn't fully understand, and/or appreciate the risks involved in playing pro football. The questions that will be answered in the courts is, "Whether the NFL knew, or should have known, about the risks?...and, if they knew or should have known, "Did the league have a duty to warn the players, and/or take steps to prevent injuries?"       The current league and it's players should know the score by now.  
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

" The current league and it's players should know the score by now."

Ya think?   And I agree that the only way to make this game safe is to put an end to it as we know it.  However the NFL is a Multi Billion Dollar business that has a built in Farm System at the collegiate level so i don't see any significant changes in the near or intermediate future.  

OTOH, helmuts and equipment have improved greatly since the early years during which a player must have had a very strong tolerance for pain.  Wow.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsNut5480. Show PatsNut5480's posts

A couple of things I've noticed is defensive players get called for head shots but how about offensive players.  Running backs lower their heads and use them as battering rams all the time.  The running back is the one that initiates the head contact on a play and it's not called.  Also you see some brutal stiff arms to the face/head from running backs/receivers.  Doesn't really look bad but going full speed it could rattle some cages. 

Second I think the penalty should be stiffer for blatant head shots or should I say harsher suspensions/loss of paycheck.  Who cares if you tick off James Harrison even more.  Some players just don't get it.

Also there are programs helping out rookies coming into the league so how about programs helping players when the retire.  These guys have been playing football since they were kids and don't know anything else.  It would be nice to have something for them to help them adjust to life after football.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

However the NFL is a Multi Billion Dollar business that has a built in Farm System at the collegiate level so i don't see any significant changes in the near or intermediate future

Well, now we are looking at a good part of why change does not happen, why studies don't get conducted, why there haven't been sufficient health and retirement programs in place, why players are still in denial about the effects of the game.....but to be fair, it is on everyone.. the league, the players and the fans...yeah, the fans get vicarious enjoyment out of the violence and that is their incentive to keep it going without change.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from thehub. Show thehub's posts

How about teaching how to tackle the right way. If a player does not use his arms to tackle fine his Axx. I am tired of the missile tackles in the NFL. DB going low with the shoulder into the RB or WR hurts the ball carries knees and gives the DB a concussion.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

1. Ban Pollard for life.

2. Force players to wear the safer helmets.  A lot of players refuse to wear the new and safer helmets.  Nor do they all use a mouthpiece; something that can dramitically reduce the shock on certain hits.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Suggestions to make the league safer : Tex "Should know the score" is hopeful thinking. Most are still in denial that their actions can harm themselves and others, most don't realize drug addiction, depression and trauma are real.
    Posted by NYC[/QUOTE]

With all the news out there about concussions, they should be aware. I'm not saying that the news will save them from themselves, and from making foolish decisions. But...they'll likely have no viable cause of action, with regards to post-injury lawsuits.