Switch to 4-3 if we tag and trade Wilfork.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bmadmax82. Show bmadmax82's posts

Switch to 4-3 if we tag and trade Wilfork.

Mike Reiss was answering a question on ESPN and I think he made a good point. He said that VW is a must have for us in a 3-4 system as this year's draft is pretty good in DEs, but not so good in NTs. Also, our back up plan consist of Ron Brace, and it would take a serious miracle for him to be our NT for the future. In this regard, we could make a switch to 4-3 and make an arrangement with VW to sign the tender and possibly get a 1st round this year and maybe a 3rd in 2011. We can use the 2 first rounders and 3 2nd rounders to get good players for a 4-3 system. The reason a 3-4 works well is that the QB has no clue where the rush is coming from. But looking at our pass rush last season, it really didn't matter where it came from as it didn't exist. 4-3 teams have done well in rushing the passer(MN, IND, NO). This could be a reboot that our D could be looking for. Go to a simpler 4-3 and rush the passer with big D linemen, and this way VW will not be terribly missed.
    Your thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Re: Switch to 4-3 if we tag and trade Wilfork.

Agreed, I'm sure this is being tossed around behind the scenes. Maybe trade Vince, get a first for him and spend the money on Peppers. Use Peppers as an end, move Warren inside and you don't have to worry about signing Vince and spending high draft picks on the many 3-4 defense pieces that you are missing.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

It is entirely possible that they switch to a 4-3 as that was what I thought was the plan when they drafted 3 D-linemen last year Brace,Pryor and Richards. They also have Adrian Grady on the PS another big fatty NT. If they pull a sign and trade they will be seeking more than the first and 3rd round compensation Bmadmax82 thinks is adequate compensation for the Fork,But if you want a perfect trade how about trading him to the Rams for Stephan Jackson and their 2nd rounder this year and next year? That would be the equivilant of 2 first round picks and it wouldn't stop the Rams from drafting the QB they really need. It would solve the Patriots need for a RB and we all know that BB prefers 2nd round draft choices.It would be a win win situation.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

I'm thinking BB should just come up with a new style of D that integrates 2 gapping but isn't the traditional 3-4. He was ahead of the league with the 3-4, and now everybody has caught up. Time to innovate a new defense, which would give the Pats a competitive advantage until the other teams copy the success. Otherwise you're competing with 15 teams for quality players that are hard to find.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

You guys have made some good points about player availability for the 3-4. BB really hadn't drafted linebackers until recently and I think that's because he wasn't happy with what fell to him in the late first round/ second round every year. The result was we got old at that position with no back up so I can see how switching to a 4-3 might actually improve the way we are able to get better players in the draft.  

Even though we have better personnel for the 4-3 d we played much better this year in the 3-4 even with our less than stellar linebacker situation. I still think even without Wilfork, BB will still be thinking 3-4 as the base D. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

There's a reason why he taking over the D, don't be surprice to see something new this year.

Now for a 43 D, we don't have the starters to run that right now on the DL.  You will need to get two 43 DEs.  Burgess in a 43 is a must as thats when he had his most success so you have to sign him. 
    In a 43 what could you see?

DL
    Graham (R) Brace TY Burgess
    LBs
    Guyton Mayo TBC/McKenzie

I still think you need upgrades on the DL and LBs.  I don't think 43 is the answer, getting better players and BB calling the D will help.  Which ever D he runs he needs 2 or 3 new players for depth and start.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

This might be a crazy question....but what about running a 4-2-5? 

We draft a good DE like Odrick at 22, draft spikes early in round 2 to play next to Mayo, and pick up another DE in later rounds as back-up...

So we could have somethign like this....

Odrick, VW, Warren, Burgess
    Mayo, Spikes
    Chung, Meriweather/McGowan, Bodden, Butler, Sanders

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFantasyBaron. Show TheFantasyBaron's posts

I think its a great idea to revisit this. The benefit is that NE is weak at LB and so they would need one less. The drawback is that they would now have to have another DE who could pass rush. I think if they sign Peppers that forces the decision.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bmadmax82. Show bmadmax82's posts

If we do sign Peppers, then I see us going in that direction. Not entirely 4-3, but a part time 43, or 425, or such hybrid D which will make good use to Peppers' pass rush skills.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejuice1. Show thejuice1's posts

all great thoughts guys, honestly...
    if we do franchise and then trade vince(imo, the overall best move for the pats, cause youll save the salary cap room that would go to one player, that you then can shift around to acquire multiple players as opposed to just one) i think we absolutely have to go to the 4-3 D... honestly, whether we trade him or keep him, perhaps moving to the 4-3 makes sense...
    we just dont have the pass rushers to make the 3-4 work effectively right now, with or without wilfork as our nt...
    if we stick with the 3-4 again this year, lets say we even keep tbc, who dont get me wrong had a nice season last year, but hes a situational player at best, we need to acquire at least 2 good legit pass rushing threats for next season...far easier said than done.
    id love to see a switch a 4-3 d... as some pointed out, we can move warren inside, and then possibly use mike wright, if for nothing else t han a short term fix inside with wright, potentially as it stands now then probably put burgess at one de, and then fill the other de via the draft/fa (actually perhaps filling both de spots via the draft and fa)...
    its either that.... or.... draft a stud ilb to place next to mayo, and somehow find 2 legit true pass rushers (1 at de/1 at olb) via the draft and free agency... which seems less realistic than switching to the 4-3

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

All we need is a good 3 down NT, one good end and a few good outside LB's

a RB

an O-line upgrade

a #2 and #3 WR (let's assume Welker won't contribute next year)

and CB's

It's going to get interesting when the free agency signing period opens....and then the Draft.  Can't wait.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bmadmax82. Show bmadmax82's posts

Y'all are spot on. If you look at all  impressive 34 D, they have an attacking OLB (Lamar Woodley, Ware, James Harrison, Dumerville, Suggs) and between them have notched up around 50 sacks. We don't have any attacking OLB, but what we have are DEs who can be used to rush passer and are pretty good at it (Warren, Wright, Burgess). At this point, Vince or no Vince, we need to shift to a better scheme, may it be 43, or hybrid 43-34. Our 34 'bend not break' D is good if we have right personals. Without that, better go to 43 and use natural abilities of Warren, Wright and Burgess to make QB run for his life. That with TBC, Mayo, Guyton, McKinz and maybe two stud DE/OLB in the draft would get the job done. Bring in Peppers and we have an attacking D. Retain Bodden and draft a CB like Kyle Wilson. Chung and Meriweather start.
    I feel this way we can get better production out of our players.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

Whether we wind up playing a 3-4 or a 4-3 one thing is clear, in order to better achieve victory one must adapt his tactics upon the strengths of personell, not try to adapt personell to desired tactics. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

http://www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aSportsForum%3a9690Discussion%3a495c4a33-19b1-46fa-a528-34d7eba55cea&plckFindPostKey=Cat:SportsForum:9690Discussion:495c4a33-19b1-46fa-a528-34d7eba55ceaPost:28a0582d-5f06-4e46-9a21-cf05280f8ad0

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

We RAN a 4-3 alot last year when Vince was out... got Mike Wright some sacks from that.. didn't understand why we stopped.  The best clue for me that they will do this (I hope they do) is Bill B himself saying how hard it was now that everyone is running a 3-4 to get the type of players he needs.  It would make sense for him, especially now that Manning (and Brees?) has solved alot of the 3-4 looks that stumped him, to just get some beef up front, some edge rushers, and line 4 up front and push.  I liked what we did last year, we have ALOT of the pieces, have the picks to add a few more, and we won't have to teach everyone from scratch, as we have in alot of cases.  It helps out also with our LB situation (thomas leaving, etc) and its pressure that will help our dbacks, NOT more dbacks.  Bring it on!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bmadmax82. Show bmadmax82's posts

How about we run a 0-7 formation like we did in one game. No DL, just LB and DBs. ;-)
    That way we dont need VW!
    Jokes aside, I think 4-3 is  the way to go. Like some one said very well, don't make players adjust to the scheme,rather scheme to player's strength.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NE2010. Show NE2010's posts

I agree that a 4-3 is a good way to go... esp if we don't have wilfork.  I see the wilfork situation playing out 1 of three ways.. either a. we get wilfork. b. we get peppers. or c we get a first round pick.. end results it will probably be one of those three.  also i'd like to point out that i believe mike wright has shown a lot of good things lately i believe he would be great at DT in the 4-3.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bmadmax82. Show bmadmax82's posts

@NE2010
    No kidding! Wright looked awesome in a 4-3. His 5 sacks were impressive and he ran down a player from behind. I don't recall the game, but it was a RB. Never seen a DL move that fast. Why don't we use him as and Burgess as bonafide 4-3 players rather than making them do stuff in 3-4 that they cannot naturally do.