Tavon Wilson: My Scouting Report

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: Tavon Wilson: My Scouting Report

In Response to Re: Tavon Wilson: My Scouting Report:
    [QUOTE]I'm always amused that most of the people on these blogs know more about talent than does BB and his staff. How come you are NOT employed in the NFL? ***5 superbowls in 10 years***
    Posted by rainbowroosie[/QUOTE]

I'm all about researching to form my own opinion (right or wrong) on a player, vs. just accepting what's printed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mav31rick. Show mav31rick's posts

I don't see it. Slow (soft) to react in run support. Gets beat here (4:50) in passing.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3hN0U5rjjo&feature=relmfu
    Haven't watched whole video..

In Response to Tavon Wilson: My Scouting Report:
    [QUOTE]After watching film on Tavon Wilson, it's clear to me why BB/NC were interested in this kid, he has a lot of what they value in a player: *Versatile and lines up all over the field, outside, slot, deep half, box, outside/inside blitz etc.  Good football intelligence (was able to learn/execute multiple positions/assignments). *Active, fluid, aware, good read react and always seems to be around the football.  Balls skills are average. *Plays hard and always seems to give max effort, will not quit in pursuit. *Not a pure banger, but is not afraid to come up in run support and gets downhill quickly, though prob an average tackler. Generally takes good angles. *Has experience covering TE/RB, which is what he's likely to do at the NFL level, though he can also match up against slot WR's. Doesn't back down from size. *Looks like a solid fit for NE's predominantly zone scheme, which will help offset his lack of elite straight-lined/recovery speed. *4 down potential as he'll likely play on most/all ST units. I don't think he has any huge holes to his game, but he doesn't do anything exceptionally well either (won't make a ton of wow plays)... kid's a "football player".  I also don't think he looks like a 6/7 rounder (kid can play)... prob more of a solid mid round player (Rd 3/4), though in this S class, his value increased and BB likely felt that other teams viewed him similarly... especially considering he didn't trade down with that pick. Bottom line:  If you pull a consistent starter out of Rd 2 (star potential or not), you did well and I think this kid has that potential.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mav31rick. Show mav31rick's posts

I don't see it. Slow (soft) to react in run support. Gets beat here (4:50) in passing.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3hN0U5rjjo&feature=relmfu
    Haven't watched whole video..

[QUOTE]If you want to check him out, you can google "Tavon Wilson vs" and a couple of his game will pop up.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Thanks for the info MB.  At least you looked at him before you made an opinion. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]I don't see it. Slow (soft) to react in run support. Gets beat here (4:50) in passing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3hN0U5rjjo&feature=relmfu Haven't watched whole video.. In Response to Re: Tavon Wilson: My Scouting Report :
    Posted by mav31rick[/QUOTE]

I don't know if I'd call him slow, but the guy is small and was getting creamed all over the place in the run game from the stuff I saw. I really expected to see a kid that was beefy, because when they showed his face during draft day it had this doughy look to it - then I see him running around and he looks like a tooth pick. 

I've got to say from the stuff I saw he looked like a poor man's Ellis Hobbs to me...a try hard kid that will be overmatched by larger players or guys that can run.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tavon Wilson: My Scouting Report : I don't know if I'd call him slow, but the guy is small and was getting creamed all over the place in the run game from the stuff I saw. I really expected to see a kid that was beefy, because when they showed his face during draft day it had this doughy look to it - then I see him running around and he looks like a tooth pick.  I've got to say from the stuff I saw he looked like a poor man's Ellis Hobbs to me...a try hard kid that will be overmatched by larger players or guys that can run.
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

I don't really get the size argument here.  Is size up for debate now? It's an opinion?  Scouts get together and decide how big a player is?  It's very measurable I think.  He's 6', 205.  That's nearly identical to every safety in the draft.  It's bigger than Chung, bigger than Polamalu, and bigger than Ed Reed. 

You certainly don't have to like his play but there's nothing in his measurables that says he doesn't have NFL size, and speed- he does.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In Response to Tavon Wilson: My Scouting Report:
    [QUOTE]...he has a lot of what they value in a player: *Versatile and lines up all over the field, outside, slot, deep half, box, outside/inside blitz etc. ..

everything you said i agree with based on their game against ucla, but this one was the quality that really stood out to me in that game.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tavon Wilson: My Scouting Report : I don't really get the size argument here.  Is size up for debate now? It's an opinion?  Scouts get together and decide how big a player is?  It's very measurable I think.  He's 6', 205.  That's nearly identical to every safety in the draft.  It's bigger than Chung, bigger than Polamalu, and bigger than Ed Reed.  You certainly don't have to like his play but there's nothing in his measurables that says he doesn't have NFL size, and speed- he does.
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]

I thought he was more 5'10", but honestly it doesn't matter, if you watch some of the tape that's out there on him you'll see that he just looks small and gets pushed around. In all honesty in the segments of the video that were run plays, I really couldn't believe my eyes - he was clearly not strong enough to help.

But it's not really about the size thing anyways shenanigan, it's more about how dare anyone question the selection of this or anything the patriots do..right?. We should all be coming to boston.com to rah rah shu come buh everything...no questions asked...no complaining...just grab the old pom pom and let it fly baby!!

I cheer for the pats when they are on during Sundays. As a fan of free agency/draft/etc, I like to heaven forbid have an opinion. Did you actually watch the videos or are you just flying around here calling everyone negative and spoiled?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tavon Wilson: My Scouting Report : I thought he was more 5'10", but honestly it doesn't matter, if you watch some of the tape that's out there on him you'll see that he just looks small and gets pushed around. In all honesty in the segments of the video that were run plays, I really couldn't believe my eyes - he was clearly not strong enough to help. But it's not really about the size thing anyways shenanigan, it's more about how dare anyone question the selection of this or anything the patriots do..right?. We should all be coming to boston.com to rah rah shu come buh everything...no questions asked...no complaining...just grab the old pom pom and let it fly baby!! I cheer for the pats when they are on during Sundays. As a fan of free agency/draft/etc, I like to heaven forbid have an opinion. Did you actually watch the videos or are you just flying around here calling everyone negative and spoiled?
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

I actually think he's too old to play safety.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

^Yeah, I think his hair is too long too..

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tavon Wilson: My Scouting Report : This is the general response, but Wilson is not Butler, Wheatley or Meriweather (who as much as i didn't like him, wasn't a complete bust) so I don't see how any of the 3 are relevant (teams miss on players every season).  This kid will have to be evaluated/graded based on his own performance and can't be compared to other misses until it's justified.

I think its HIGHLY relevant.  Also throw in Wilhite and one other that escapes me right now.  It's relevant because it has been proven over and over that BB and the Pats seem to have a high level of failure when it comes to picking CB and Safties that make it in this league.  I assume they evaluated this kid the same way they did Butler, Wheatly, Wlihite, et al and we see how that panned out.

Not saying the kid is going to be a bust but when you have the track record the Pats have had lately with CB and Safties, i am concerned to say the least.  I hope they got it right this time.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tavon Wilson: My Scouting Report : wow ... Id love to see this vid..Any Link ? ( on second thought ...maybe I dont want to see it ) MB ... Out of curiousity . If BB allowed you to make the pick at #48 , who would you have selected ?
    Posted by CaptnFoxboro[/QUOTE]
    Woops - Got the Illinois players messed up: Wilson gets burned only on the Post - the others were other DBs - Ebert had 4 TDs in the game.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWH9nzK-r80

As for your question on 48 - If it was to be a DB I would probably have gone with Tr. Johnson or Taylor though I probably would have tried to move back with that pick if it was a DB. I was thinking DT/DE at that point.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tavon Wilson: My Scouting Report : I think its HIGHLY relevant.  Also throw in Wilhite and one other that escapes me right now.  It's relevant because it has been proven over and over that BB and the Pats seem to have a high level of failure when it comes to picking CB and Safties that make it in this league.  I assume they evaluated this kid the same way they did Butler, Wheatly, Wlihite, et al and we see how that panned out. Not saying the kid is going to be a bust but when you have the track record the Pats have had lately with CB and Safties, i am concerned to say the least.  I hope they got it right this time.
    Posted by Patsman3[/QUOTE]

Just heard The God Father Gill Brandt say something like this...When you win more games then any other team in the league and have more draft picks then any other team for 10 years, its tough for draft picks to stick! Who do they replace? How long do you give them to earn playing time when 1 year later you are drafting 10 more guys to look at, especially when you are going 12-4 every year.

Point being, it is a good thing when you have more picks then any other team, and an even better thing when you don't NEED them to stick.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Just for comparison, last dozen 48th picks:

2011--Stefan Wisniewski--starting center for Raiders
    2010--Jimmy Clausen--back up QB for the Panthers
    2009--Darcel McBath--back up DB for Broncos
    2008--Fred Davis--starting TE for Redskins
    2007--Justin Durant--LB for Lions (drafted by Jags)
    2006--Cedric Griffin--CB for Redskins (was starting CB for Vikings through last year)
    2005--Odell Thurman--LB for Bengals (started first year; now out of league for violating substance abuse policy)
    2004--Dontarrious Thomse--LB Vikings (out of league after several years as back up)
    2003--Chris Kelsey--starting DE for Bills
    2002--Reche Caldwell--big staring eyes now out of league
    2001--Matt Light--retired
    2000--Jason Webster--CB, started for three years, then faded away

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

The very fact that Ill used him like a wildcard, inside/outside, up front and deep, makes him a fit in this backfield. Everyone BB chooses at safety has done all those things. 

That is the fit for me. Versatility. 

And yeah, he actually has some video shedding blockers in the box.

That is food for thought. 

Maybe NE does still need an over the top safety? Maybe BB thinks of McCourty in that role? I do. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sfpat. Show sfpat's posts

[QUOTE]Chandler Jones was projected to go in the early 2nd round yet BB moved up in the first to get him.  Where's the outrage there?  What was he thinking? The thing about this whole Wilson mess is that we go by different boards than the Pats do.  They have spent more time and money evaluating this guy and had him high on their board.  He wasn't a 6th or 7th rounder on their board.  He was a 2nd rounder.  The talent they passed up around this guy tells you what they think of him.
    Posted by garytx[/QUOTE]

It's because there is plenty of information and opinions available that justify the pick.  Mike Mayock, who knows something about football, rated him the #9 prospect and said he could ultimately be the best defensive player in the draft.  Believe what you want to believe, and obviously, the reality won't be known for awile, but at least some people were saying good things about Jones.  Nobody was talking about Wilson.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tavon Wilson: My Scouting Report : It's because there is plenty of information and opinions available that justify the pick.  Mike Mayock, who knows something about football, rated him the #9 prospect and said he could ultimately be the best defensive player in the draft.  Believe what you want to believe, and obviously, the reality won't be known for awile, but at least some people were saying good things about Jones.  Nobody was talking about Wilson.
    Posted by sfpat[/QUOTE]

Except when the pick was made and the man you just credited as knowing something about football said, this kid is a high riser on draft boards.

Then today Jim Miller says this kid is a 3 year starter with great production at a tough program, he then said, "this kid can flat out play football, no surprises here".

Oh yeah then there is BB himself, who also knows a thing or 2 about football saying he doesn't know who invites kids to the combine? Why wasn't Volmer invited to the combine? Insinuating this kid is the real deal and he had him rated as a high rd safety....which makes sense considering he drafted him where he did.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Thanks for the report, some good information and insight as to why bb drafted him. 

I was as shocked as everyone else when the pick was made, only because I had not heard of him and he was rated so low by many of the so called "experts" .
    I'm going to have to go with what bb thinks on this one, the more i'm reading on him he is looking better all of the time and why bb drafted him. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]The very fact that Ill used him like a wildcard, inside/outside, up front and deep, makes him a fit in this backfield. Everyone BB chooses at safety has done all those things.  That is the fit for me. Versatility.  And yeah, he actually has some video shedding blockers in the box. That is food for thought.  Maybe NE does still need an over the top safety? Maybe BB thinks of McCourty in that role? I do. 
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

Also, we use a lot of 5 and 6 DB formations . . . having a guy who can play effectively in the box from a DB position is a nice thing when you're short a LB or DL. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

Let's pretend you are working the draft. There is a player you REALLY like and think has some great potential to make an impact. You think some other teams may be interested in him as well. You aren't 100%, but you think he may be taken. Would you rather take him when he is available, or wait another round and risk another team selecting him?

I would select the player where I, an NFL head coach and evaluator of talent, valued him.

BB was obviously high on the kid and didn't want anyone else to select him. I don't understand why so many people are up in arms about this. Because some fools on ESPN that don't know anything about him disagree with the pick? Those guys don't know anything about players that didn't go to the combine. They saw he wasn't invited so they figured he was irrelevant and made some stuff up about him after minimal, if any, film analysis.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

[QUOTE]Let's pretend you are working the draft. There is a player you REALLY like and think has some great potential to make an impact. You think some other teams may be interested in him as well. You aren't 100%, but you think he may be taken. Would you rather take him when he is available, or wait another round and risk another team selecting him? I would select the player where I, an NFL head coach and evaluator of talent, valued him. BB was obviously high on the kid and didn't want anyone else to select him. I don't understand why so many people are up in arms about this. Because some fools on ESPN that don't know anything about him disagree with the pick? Those guys don't know anything about players that didn't go to the combine. They saw he wasn't invited so they figured he was irrelevant and made some stuff up about him after minimal, if any, film analysis.
    Posted by magicalhobo[/QUOTE]

I think probably more importantly for BB there was no one else he was particularly high on at that spot - obviously no clue what their draft board looked like, but I think making that pick and trading 62 suggests that there were not 2 or 3 other DBs they had any interest in at 2nd or 3rd round grades. It isn't just who you select, it is also who else isn't on your board.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from leonardo0110. Show leonardo0110's posts

I can't believe ONE pick has cause all this commotion, is not like BB wasted a 1st round pick on the guy. He (BB) thought highly enough of the kid that he couldn't pass on him or waited for him to be there in later rounds. If he thought he was going to be there in later rounds I'm 100% sure that BB would of traded down from 48. He clearly didn't think the world out of the other better players that were available at 48, I wanted still,worthy,wolfe,hill,reyes, but BB didn't. Just wait for the kid to play a down and then you can rate him as you please, but this has overshadowed every other pick that he made in this draft which improved the D at least on paper, isn't that what we all wanted?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tavon Wilson: My Scouting Report : Just heard The God Father Gill Brandt say something like this...When you win more games then any other team in the league and have more draft picks then any other team for 10 years, its tough for draft picks to stick! Who do they replace? How long do you give them to earn playing time when 1 year later you are drafting 10 more guys to look at, especially when you are going 12-4 every year. Point being, it is a good thing when you have more picks then any other team, and an even better thing when you don't NEED them to stick.
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

I listened to this too and also comments by Randy Cross. He brings out that late draft picks are actually inventory for the good teams. He was discussing the pick of Cousins ( in 5th?)  Why? possible insurance should Griffin ( running QB gets hurt ) or moreover possible trade bait in later years when teams may want a QB and would spend a 2nd, 3rd for your prevously drafted 5th guy.  Ooh sounds like our 7th round Matt Cassel?  Thats value.

Likewise I got to thinking that when you are a good team, Pats are a SB team, what are the chances that  all your drafted guys make the 53 roster.. I think not much. Popular rule says that 1st round should be starters .. thus explaining BB trading out previously.. but not this year .. these guys should be studs.  Later rounds ( late second even!) are for depth and FUTURE.  So BB takes potential guys  that arent on the guru boards but are "football players"  and should be able to clear the process for placement on Practice Roster .. Ebert , Ebner. These guys become keepers and may eventualy contribute. My understanding this is similar to a waiver process.

That being said I do not think that is the case for Wilson. He was a second, so  I think BB sees depth  at CB / S  PLUS big special teams capabilities.. he will be a keeper. This is the ultimate in "Bill We Trust"

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

[QUOTE]Thanks for the info MB.  At least you looked at him before you made an opinion. 
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]

Yes, albeit the wrong opinion...at least he looked though.

Here's a Tavon Wilson Gametape:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpNDMvijrfI

:24 in- 1st Reception given up on Tavon Wilson's coverage assignment.
    :50 in- 2nd Reception given up in the middle as Tavon Wilson bites on a pump fake, His assignment catches it, gets slowed up by another defender before Wilson coming back to make the final stop after a 25 yard gain.
    1:06 in- Wilson getting washed up in an interior Safety blitz, ASU QB scrambling for a 10 yard 1st down, out of bounds towards the far sideline...not exactly Wilson's fault...not exactly a successful play by Wilson either.
    1:14 in- Decent pass coverage (I guess), Wilson being just a couple steps behind his assignment on a hard throw resulting in an incompletion over the deeper middle.
    1:28 in- Good penetration by Wilson on an inside O-Tackle running play...Doesn't make the stop, but slows him down enough for 2 other defenders to make this a good overall defensive play.
    1:33 in- Wilson's best play of the game: Safety blitz- Excellent fluidity within Wilson's altering attacking angles in terms of his slight stutter pauses & minor change of directions, while he's simultaneously still attacking forward in his pass-rush threat- Resulting in oppossing QB to throw the ball away (pass rush elsewhere, but DO recognize that Wilson's threat was THE paramount one, which resulted in this broken play).
    1:55 in- Superb, sideline-sideline hustle in order to stop a gain which would've been a 10 yard gain or more (given the amount of defenders in the vicinity), to only a 6 yard swing pass completion.  Great play call by The Offense, Very good hustle play and open field wrap-up by Wilson on a guy whom he had, only by his initial hustle, a bad takedown angle to hope to successfully make the tackle on...which he did.  DO recognize that people...
    ~
    2:06
    in- Tough, and hard hit by Wilson (non-coverage assignment by him, +1)...  They never say what the flag down in The Secondary was from...I know, You know too: -1.
    2:24 in- Shallow near sideline zone for Wilson...out of position dealing with the threat of a short inside post potential, Late break towards the wideout- Whiffed tackle <Imo Wilson made the correct call in order to deny that inside pass...he just didn't make AS good of a call entirely missing the tackle in what was his bubble zone>.
    2:33 in- Pass bounces straight off Wilson's coverage assignment's hands...He does he take him down really tough though afterwards...(jesus).
    2:40 in- Gives up a non-touchdown pass when the collegiate wideout he's covering in the sideline doesn't have the footwork skill to plant his feet fully in bounds in the endzone...  Tough call- That's an EXCELLENT pass...and to a bigger and more athletic and agile NFL receiver?  Yea, understand that this is just a bit more likely than unlikely, to be a TD in the pros in this scenario.
    ~
    3:05 in- Wilson's the far sideline gunner on this Illinois Punt...His job IS to Both fight his way quickly down the field, along with- And more than ANY-thing: To corner off any potential return from that KR'er having the possibility and potential for a big return by breaking it on the outside of That Sideline which Wilson is tasked with=PARAMOUNT duty here.  How'd he do...How do ya think he would have done if the punt returner on this given play, didn't wave off the return and signal right here?
    3:24 in- And THIS appears to be what Wilson is REALLY good as a Safety at (skill-wise).  Wilson, almost as a weird Big Nickel MLB on this play...  Again (just like his pass-rush threat causing the broken play @ the 1:33 mark), Wilson is VERY fast and very good (for a Safety especially)- TO be able to still attack forward near and inside all this trash and mass of big-bodies near the LOS, in order to be a good threat to make a play AT or behind the LOS.
    3:36 in- Wilson made up for his -3 TFL tackle on the next play, upon him giving up a 14 yard 1st down reception on this 3rd and 14, as Wilson's still running with his invisible coverage assignment out of the camera picture, upon his real-life coverage assignment turning and planting to a stop in his break, in order make the 1st down reception here (good slo-mo afterwards).
    3:55 in- Wilson on a blitz...doesn't get there, eats up 2 Defenders- No real threat this time, but incomplete pass anyways- Awash.
    ~
    4:05
    in- Wilson tasked now on the Offensive side of his team's Punt Return play, as ASU's punting the ball...  Rewind, and rewind and rewind...  Do ya see Wilson's assignment to block and get in the grill of?  Here, this should help: He's the guy on the other team who ends up with the clean break on the muffed ball, for a turnover giving the possession directly back to ASU.
    4:14 in- AWESOME play by Wilson...VERY nice play- defeats the block, keeps his angle of attack going (VERY good in this respect), and up-ends the ball-carrier=You see this in NFL Film Libraries under "textbook" on this play right here...you do.
    4:47 in- Wilson ALSO, Losing to a wideout block on a play going towards the far sideline...Safety 32 swooping in to make the good play.
    ~
    5:05 in- Now this one's tough...  I'm 99% certain, Wilson and that CB over there on the far sideline, are tasked in a Hi-Lo Zone...Looks like man on the LOS, but the instant this play begins, you can recognize that these 2 (Wilson and the CB) are gonna break into a hi-lo zone (Wilson's bubble zone being up front).  And say whatever ya want in terms of could've's would'ves-maybe's, tackling direction, etc...I don't care-  The result of this 1st and 10 play?  2nd and 2 yards to go, & inside the red-zone.  I mean, right?  
    5:13 in- This is nice slot CB work by Wilson...  This is playing head's up football- Wilson by being able to give that 1 more fraction of a second gaze into the backfield in order to see how the play's gonna begin to develop, allows him to determine that his best course of action is stay at home a half second longer (rather than trailing off into pass-coverage in even a small way)- Thus- He's 1 of the 3 Defenders turning this into a good stop here <either way, it somehow results in an ASU TD...which for some reason they don't show>
    5:34 in- Wilson following the man in motion...isn't in the play's vicinity (no fault here).
    5:50 in- 3rd and 5, ASU deep in their own territory=Pass Interfernce on Tavon Wilson; 1st Down...drive's still alive.
    ~
    6:00
    in- Wilson doing a good job backbedaling in excellent recognition of the pass-play at the start here...  See, I just can't tell here IF Wilson is tasked on this play with playing that- (errr-the term's in the brain-damaged part of my head today- <sigh> that Polomalu-type Safety role (WHY is this word escaping me?!?)- In which case, his duty here is malleable on this play, based solely on his reading of play-development and how to make that best impact upon play direction based on his instincts on overall play-direction...OR, Wilson, in fact, IS tasked with backing into deep zone help based on his intial analysis of it being a pass-play at the very immediate onset of the play's start (#7's both a Safety, and in the deep far sideline area as well, so it might be the former)...  I say this solely in terms of how much emphasis lies at Wilson's feet for backpedaling himself outta the play (either- Extremely little to None at all...OR Little, to Moderate- but definately in fact, some)- Either way, ya can't make this minute blame-call right here (yet, Wilson IS however, spending a half second too long focusing on the QB's read, rather than having ANY kind of basic recognition of the prescence of an open eligible receiver in his vicinity...before it's too late).
    6:21 in- Wilson giving up another completion directly to his coverage assignment.
    6:50 in- 3rd and 1...Wilson within 5 yards of the LOS...he HAS to fight off his man better than this, in order to attempt to be able to potentially make a stop on the QB right here...He simply does (kr!st, a minute and half left in the 4th Quarter...the other team has the ball and your team's up by 3-sheez).
    ~
    7:00 in- Bad throw behind Wilson's coverage assignment in the middle...  Is this good pass defense?  On the surface, you may say yes...  In fact, It's F#%k!ng Awful...  A minute left in the game, and even though you're close to your coverage assignment man, He IS at once: 1 1/2-2 Steps striaght ahead of you going downfield, and you are too busy simply making sure that this guy doesn't get 3 or 4 steps ahead of you for the game-winning TD grab, for you to be in ANY spot to be able to turn your head in pass-coverage in order to break up this play (IF the pass is actually on target)...  That's not somethin' ya actually WANT to see, o.k.?  
    7:22 in- A minute and 6 seconds left in this game...  Last play on this tape for some reason...  Tavon Wilson- 40 yard Pass Interference=Oppossing team's ball at your own 20 yard line with just over a minute left in regulation, and your team up by 3 points.

~~~

How'd he do...?  Your Final Analysis, people...?  Hmm...?

Worth the 48th Overall Selection?  Orrrr, Would it have been a better idea, trading that 48th Selection down 5-8 spots, and picking the 6th rounder (at the god-awful worst) which would come in this process, and then taking whomever's left of Mohammed Sanu, Devon Still, or Peter Konz (or Kendall reyes Reyes or Brandon Thompson if in the insane case ALL of the first 3 guys come off the Big Board within 5-8 picks time down Rd 2)...And THEN: Selecting Tavon Wilson just the same in Round #6....?  Btw, No...The notion that because Tavon Wilson got 1 of 50 invites from 6 of the 32 NFL Teams, Does NOT...In ANY WAY, Shape, OR Form- Mean: That Wilson was going to be drafted 4 or 5 Rounds ahead of where Everyone on Earth had him ranked...Here's this: It doesn't EVEN mean that Wilson neccessarily WOULD Have Been Drafted...at all.

Maximize your opportunities.

Did I like this 2012 NE Patriots Draft?  My answer is: F$%&k YES!  This is an A- to a B+ Patriots Draft...Directly in between.  1 Day upon this draft finishing up, This Draft is better than the 2011 Draft, and just over that 2009 Draft (many of you, 1 day post 2009 NE Draft, were in LOVE with that Draft...I was not- Solid, Good, Better than Average, 2000X Better than the garbage drafts the preceding 2-3 years here; But, in no way "Great";).  

This Draft has the potential for "Great."  The only other NE Draft I regarded on Day 1, Post Draft, to be "Great" was 2010...THAT was a recognizable certainty, which was palbable and clearly evident for any good long-time obsessive draft student.  2012, might be great (and no, 1 day post draft, I would and simply couldn't say the same for the 2011 nor even NE's 2009 Draft Classes- Belichick seemed to have 47 more picks at his dispossable during these 2 drafts, and took home less than what he did this year- yes, you weigh this).

This 1 single move of Selecting Wilson at 48, turns what had every bit of momentum to be an A...A - A+ NFL Draft, into an A-/B+.  This is what disappoints us tenured draft crazies, like me.  You MUST be able to weigh and recognize consensus ratings and/as it relates to other NFL Clubs and where they more than likely should and will inevitably target someone which they might covet, but whom you yourself, DO covet.  It's about bang-for-your-bv-ck...  It simply is.  Please try to understand that Tavon Wilson turning into a Hall of Fame Defensive Back, IS Less than Tavon Wilson AND the #1 rated Offensive Center/A fiery Stud Big possession receiver/A an above-average Day 1 starting 3-4 DE who's a NASTY Day 1 Starting 4-3 Defensive Tackle too...  O'kay?  

Selecting the 250th ranked prospect and the 22nd Ranked Safety (22nd! Lmao!) as your 48th Selection and hoping that he'll be an Impact Starting Player in your Secondary, IS More of a Gamble Than: Selecting a FAR better quality product, and then hoping that the guy who's ranked as an Undrafted Free Agent (lol, someplaces, Wilson might have actually have been ranked as high as "7th Rd/UDFA"!) WILL still be available for you to target in the Late 5th/Early 6th Round...  This isn't hard.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from sfpat. Show sfpat's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tavon Wilson: My Scouting Report : Except when the pick was made and the man you just credited as knowing something about football said, this kid is a high riser on draft boards. Then today Jim Miller says this kid is a 3 year starter with great production at a tough program, he then said, "this kid can flat out play football, no surprises here". Oh yeah then there is BB himself, who also knows a thing or 2 about football saying he doesn't know who invites kids to the combine? Why wasn't Volmer invited to the combine? Insinuating this kid is the real deal and he had him rated as a high rd safety....which makes sense considering he drafted him where he did.
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

Wilson was rising so fast that Mayock just happened to forget to put him on his top 100 draft prospect and top 5 safety prospects, which is all he listed prior to the draft.  Statements made after the draft are discounted.  Would have been nice to see Mayock's top 200 prior to the draft.  Something tells me that one Tavon Wilson probably would not be on that list.