Tavon Wilson S

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Tavon Wilson S

In Response to Re: Tavon Wilson S:
    [QUOTE]The last time we all thought this the pick was Vollmer.
    Posted by carawaydj[/QUOTE]

Yes but when you toss film of Vollmer on from the east west practice you can easily see why they took Vollmer. He had great fundamentals and enormous athletic ability for a guy his size.

Wilson on the other hand, when you toss on film his fundamentals aren't there and he isn't athletically gifted. He has some upside but not nearly the same as Vollmer, at least on film

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

darn it...didn't realize they moved back for 3rd and 5th rounder.  Guess we have to follow for the weekend.

I dunno...i'm just happy they went after some first round talent...twice!  If they want to bolster depth at this point, that's fine with me.  They needed pass rush and they went after it.  They needed LB depth and they got it...they needed DE depth and they got it.  I think that's better than simply going for middle round trash and expecting them to be playmakers.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

[QUOTE]     I wonder if the Pats are going to use their 62nd overall pick on Charlie Brown. He's a QB, kicker, and safety. Brown would have set a FG record, if only he had a more reliable holder.      :( 
    Posted by TexasPat[/QUOTE]

Sign the holder....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

[QUOTE]The last time we all thought this the pick was Vollmer.
    Posted by carawaydj[/QUOTE]
    Don't forget when he picked a SPECIAL TEAMER in the first round, Devin McSomething.  When the great KYLE WILSON was still on the board!

Man!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tavon Wilson S : Mankins was discussed during the draft as being a 5th at best, most likely a 7th or udfa. not a 4th. The story of the 4th came later as that's where the raiders had him pegged. Mankins was a 3rd/4th on draft boards. It's easy to have revisionist history after the fact.
    Posted by jrmccook[/QUOTE]

Ha-ha, What'ru KIDDING me?!?  LOL, No He wasn't, haha...omg- 

2005...Here's just 1 that we'll do- SI.com

Logan Mankins-

BIO: Three-year starter awarded All-Conference and All-America honors as a senior. Missed the 2003 season after tearing his right knee. Played left tackle at Fresno State.

POSITIVES: Intelligent and athletic blocker who can be used at several spots on the offensive line. Bends his knees, plays with leverage and patience. Stays square, adjusts to defenders and effectively uses blocking angles in pass protection. Technically sound, displays solid footwork sliding laterally and effective with his hands. Mentally on top of his game and works well with teammates. Displays the ability to block in motion and effectively uses body positioning to wall defenders from the action.

NEGATIVES: Lacks the top size for a blind-side tackle. Not a dominant drive blocker and gets minimal movement from run blocks.

ANALYSIS: A hard-working lineman who plays with great intelligence, Mankins has been very productive on the college level. Performed well at the Senior Bowl at guard and significantly improved his draft stock.

PROJECTION: Mid Third Round

Now, I'll find Vollmer...2009 I'm pretty sure-

Here we go:

Sebastian Vollmer-

BIOGRAPHY: Two-year starter awarded all-Conference honors as a senior.

POSITIVES: "Tall, athletic tackle with outstanding size and growth potential. Stays square, strong at the point and controls defenders once he gets his hands on them. Blocks with a wide base, keeps his feet moving, and patient in pass protection. Effectively bends his knees, displays above-average movement skills, and turns opponents off the ball run blocking. Makes great use of body positioning and seals defenders from the action."

NEGATIVES: "Not fluid in space, and lacks top footwork sliding out to protect the edge. Mechanical and a bit stiff. Struggled with back injuries in the past."

ANALYSIS: "Vollmer is a well-sized blocker with a large degree of upside potential. He showed improvement in his game the past two seasons, and he should only get better as he physically matures. Playing left tackle at Houston, Vollmer projects to the strong side, and he could surprise in the NFL if he stays healthy."

PROJECTION: Fourth Round

~There ya go...I live off draft sites- Here?  Same projected draft day big board ranking at Selection #1 in 2009, as they are in 2012.  Google it and take a look-see yourself...

Btw- Yea, 2 Round Reaches ARE wastes of your picks...  For every Logan Mankins you give me, I WILL offer you 5 or more absolute frivilous wastes of higher picks on lesser talent that NE STILL could've acquired later on if they so wished-  You gimme a Sebastian Vollmer + 1 Logan mankins?  I'll throw ya a George Bussey, a Jake Ingram, a Brandon Tate, or a Terrance Wheatley, or a Kevin O'Connel, or a Jonathin Wilhite, a Clint Oldenburg, a Justin Rogers, or a Mike Richardson, a Jermaine Cunningham, a Justice Hairston, or a Garret Mills, or a Dan Stevenson, or a....=Each AND All- 2 Round Reaches (lol, 3 from the same draft too) of lesser quality of talent that'cha could've solidified down the line at a lesser draft price, While ALSO picking up better rated prospects in Rds 2-6, with FAR greater odds of pro level success.

And we're talkin' mostly "only" a 2-3 Round Reach...  This?  This?  C'mon...call it what it is.  Unless he becomes an ALL-PRO...and I eat my words to THAT degree, This IS exemplifies to a "T", gross wastes of opportunity. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

You guys ALWAYS act suprised at the draft.  I'm suprised you are still suprised.  BB does what he wants, HOW he wants, and it's worked out pretty well so far.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tavon Wilson S : where did you find film of him?
    Posted by ricky12684[/QUOTE]

I love watching college football and Illinois is usually one team to watch for some interesting games

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Trade Value Chart:
    Mike Reiss: we give up 284pts, we receive 170pts.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4721234/rapid-reaction-trading-down

That sounds like we were having a fire sale in the 2nd round.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]Trade Value Chart: Mike Reiss: we give up 284pts, we receive 170pts. http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4721234/rapid-reaction-trading-down That sounds like we were having a fire sale in the 2nd round.
    Posted by pats-fan-2007[/QUOTE]

This one might not be value but quantity. They still need a KR and some OG depth, a young WR, another RB, a DT, or a decent DB would be nice. So with 2 picks they can get a KRer in the 5th, which was a major weakness last year, and the 3rd can be used on depth at a position. #62 would most likely have been depth with potential starter ability anyways.

It's really #48 you have to question

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

The problem when you believe you are great is that you also believe you are infalible. You think you can make others around you great just by your assertion that your greatness makes them great as well. You enjoy going against the crowd. You enjoy seeing things others don't see. You believe you have special insight others don't have. You need to assert this daring, against the crowd insight to prove your worth. You can no longer do the safe thing because it is too normal, too boring. You are Bill Belichick. In BB, we trust. 

Acceptance means accepting the good along with the bad. Let's face it: we love a crazy sob coach who does not always make rational sense. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

I don't know why.........but this guy is going to be big for the Pats. Mark my words. There is something about this pick.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctpat. Show ctpat's posts

You have watched film on him? sure.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tavon Wilson S : Yes but when you toss film of Vollmer on from the east west practice you can easily see why they took Vollmer. He had great fundamentals and enormous athletic ability for a guy his size. Wilson on the other hand, when you toss on film his fundamentals aren't there and he isn't athletically gifted. He has some upside but not nearly the same as Vollmer, at least on film
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

After such a fabulous first round, it's unbelievable how badly BB has botched day two.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 15315k. Show 15315k's posts

I don't know anything about this guy so i can't say. We will find out in the fall I guess.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

How does everyone here say they KNOW nobody was looking at this kid?

because ESPN said he wouldn't be drafted? There's a reliable source.

If this is all known, I'd like some links to team scouting sites where Tavon Wilson is listed low 31 other times.

The people that are disappointed is because they believe what the "expert" and mock drafts have to say.

Nobody is right all the time, and maybe he's a stiff. But, BB has proven more to me than the Kiper, the whole collective of ESPN, or any other talking head or website. How many rings do ESPN, Kiper, ProScouts whoever, and any other websites have?

All it takes is interest from ONE other team, and the Pats feel the need to pull the trigger. Nobody will ever know what led BB to this pick, let's let the kid play a few downs...even participate in a camp or two before people start freakign out.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

[QUOTE]The problem when you believe you are great is that you also believe you are infalible. You think you can make others around you great just by your assertion that your greatness makes them great as well. You enjoy going against the crowd. You enjoy seeing things others don't see. You believe you have special insight others don't have. You need to assert this daring, against the crowd insight to prove your worth. You can no longer do the safe thing because it is too normal, too boring. You are Bill Belichick. In BB, we trust.  Acceptance means accepting the good along with the bad. Let's face it: we love a crazy sob coach who does not always make rational sense. 
    Posted by NYC[/QUOTE]

My parent's said this EXACT same thing to me last week after I stopped over for Sunday Dinner.  I mean, I don't know for sure considering I never really listen to their meaningless banter.  Admittedly, I don't know for certain seein' as I was far too busy discussing the merits to take home from Kierkegaard while making human figurines outta my broccolli stalks- Really, you are actually gonna interrupt me at the exact moment when I'm steadying myself to paste the mashed potatoes on the florets as hair pieces while simultaneously swingin' from the barrenness of Existentialism negating an individual's last remnants of organized Christianity for good...?   

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]You have watched film on him? sure. In Response to Re: Tavon Wilson S :
    Posted by ctpat[/QUOTE]

I watched games that he played yes. I love college football and tend to watch a number of game. Since he was a starter and we needed a S yes I did see stuff on him

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsNut5480. Show PatsNut5480's posts

[QUOTE]I don't know why.........but this guy is going to be big for the Pats. Mark my words. There is something about this pick.
    Posted by Iceman4[/QUOTE]

He seems like a solid, hard working kid.  Ran a 4.52 40 so he's got better speed than a lot of the safeties out there.  You never know.  I may be mistaken but I thought Mayock said he was a fast riser up the draft boards.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

[QUOTE]How does everyone here say they KNOW nobody was looking at this kid? because ESPN said he wouldn't be drafted? There's a reliable source. If this is all known, I'd like some links to team scouting sites where Tavon Wilson is listed low 31 other times. The people that are disappointed is because they believe what the "expert" and mock drafts have to say. Nobody is right all the time, and maybe he's a stiff. But, BB has proven more to me than the Kiper, the whole collective of ESPN, or any other talking head or website. How many rings do ESPN, Kiper, ProScouts whoever, and any other websites have? All it takes is interest from ONE other team, and the Pats feel the need to pull the trigger. Nobody will ever know what led BB to this pick, let's let the kid play a few downs...even participate in a camp or two before people start freakign out.
    Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE]

How 'bout this ma6dragon...  There must be 10,000 or so NFL Mock Draft Sites or so...  Find me the 1 where Tavon Wilson is ranked inside The Top 200 Draftable Prospects. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

Tavon Wilson may be a great unknown pick like Matthew Slater.  But since he is flying so much under the radar, why not pick him at the 90th or 163rd spot instead of using the 48th pick? That would make BB looking like the genius and get another steal.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]You have watched film on him? sure. In Response to Re: Tavon Wilson S :
    Posted by ctpat[/QUOTE]

Volmer had great physical tools...6'8", 315 pounds, and quick on his feet. The Dallas Cowboys were ready to take him in the 3rd round of the 2009 draft. So...BB pulled the trigger.

What great characteristics does Wilson have? He's not real fast, not real big, and wasn't very productive at Illinois. Just a solid starter on an average college team. Does that sound like mid-2nd round material to anyone?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]...All it takes is interest from ONE other team, and the Pats feel the need to pull the trigger. Nobody will ever know what led BB to this pick, let's let the kid play a few downs...even participate in a camp or two before people start freakign out.
    Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE]

but isn't that against the idea of not falling in love with a player? 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tavon Wilson S : How 'bout this ma6dragon ...  There must be 10,000 or so NFL Mock Draft Sites or so...  Find me the 1 where Tavon Wilson is ranked inside The Top 200 Draftable Prospects. 
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium[/QUOTE]
    How bout this Laz.  You show me one NFL coach/GM who says that they take mock drafts into account, or who use Scouts Inc as their primay method of evaluating players.