Tavon Wilson S

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Re: Tavon Wilson S

This pick would not have been traded for a 2nd, 3rd, and 5th....a swap to the 55-60 range probably would've been just a 5th round pick

and yes, terrible pick

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

I like the positive thinking

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Sorry, I'm gettin' him at either 5'11 or 6'0 and anywhere from 200-205lbs on 3 or 4 different sites...

<sigh /> This stuff crushes my soul- Jesus trade #48 & just get a 2nd rder next year, then get a 4th or 5th rder this year (just about 31 other teams would jump at this trade), and THEN select Tavon Wilson a mere 2 or 3 Rounds ahead of where that 1 single other team was mayyyybe thinking of getting him at.

Talk about absolutely throwing 90% of the value of your draft picks straight into the garbage.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Rapid reaction: Tavon Wilson

April, 27, 2012
    APR 27
    8:39
    PM ET

Bill Belichick went off the draft radar with the selection of Illinois defensive back Tavon Wilson in the second round (48th overall).

This brings back memories of the team's selection of offensive tackle Sebastian Vollmer in the 2009 second round, as Vollmer was also off the radar. Like Vollmer, who was a 2010 second-team All-Pro, Wilson did not get an invite to the Combine. 

The 6-foot, 203-pound Wilson could be viewed as a corner or safety based on his versatility. If he is viewed through the lens of the safety position, he represents the third safety selected in this year's draft. Word among analysts entering the draft was that after top options Mark Barron and Harrison Smith at safety, there was a big drop-off. 

The scouting report on Wilson, who ESPN's Scouts Inc. did not project to be drafted, is that he's durable and versatile (safety and cornerback) and has a background on special teams. Those are characteristics that are sure to appeal to the Patriots. 

At Illinois, Wilson replaced Vontae Davis when Davis was selected in the first round of the 2009 draft. 

Media analysts are likely to call this pick a reach. It's a pick that reflects how the Patriots don't view things through the same lens as media analysts. 

At this point, Wilson could factor in the cornerback or safety mix, so it would be dangerous to read too much into what his presence could mean for those already on the roster.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In Response to Re: Tavon Wilson S:
    [QUOTE]C'mon BB ...this was a rookie Gm move not worthy of you . Hopefully you were wearing a clown suit with a big rubber nose when you made this pick. Maybe Wilson is the real deal...but WHO CARES ? NOBODY was spending a 2nd on him ...  Trade back  , get an extra pick and get him where -F'in - ever .  PFFFT .
    Posted by CaptnFoxboro[/QUOTE]

Just found this:
    http://www.kffl.com/player/26335/nfl/tavon-wilson

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Bill Belichick and his father before him has been scouting top collegiate players for the past 40 years. I will take what he thinks of a player over what Mel Kiper jr says anytime.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]He can't be any worse than Edelman and Slater at safety and maybe even Ihedigbo.  No clue who he is but said the same thing about Vollmer.  Remember Vollmer wasn't invited to combine either.  Could be a total bust but could be a good pick.  You never know.
    Posted by PatsNut5480[/QUOTE]

Why use a mid-2nd round round pick on a guy like this?? BS!!!! 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrmccook. Show jrmccook's posts

he's durable.. that's already an improvement over most of the secondary..

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

[QUOTE]He can't be any worse than Edelman and Slater at safety and maybe even Ihedigbo.  No clue who he is but said the same thing about Vollmer.  Remember Vollmer wasn't invited to combine either.  Could be a total bust but could be a good pick.  You never know.
    Posted by PatsNut5480[/QUOTE]

Vollmer was a fast draft big board riser as draft day neared...  And even by the lesser regarded draft sites, Vollmer was at worst, A 5th Rd projected draft selection.  Many had him in the 4th though, and several had 3rd-4th rd grades.  Logan Mankins-Another one, right?  A few sites had Mankins in the 2nd Rd, many more had Mankins listed as 2nd/3rd rd graded prospect.

This- is garbage...  Not the guy, I know NOTHING about this guy.  This is however, ALL about maximizing your haul from the draft selections you have at your disposal.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Another missed opportunity. So disappointing: http://www.patriots-blog.net/2012/04/patriots-select-tavon-wilson-s-illinois.html

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrmccook. Show jrmccook's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tavon Wilson S : Vollmer was a fast draft big board riser as draft day neared...  And even by the lesser regarded draft sites, Vollmer was at worst, A 5th Rd projected draft selection.  Many had him in the 4th though, and several had 3rd-4th rd grades.  Logan Mankins-Another one, right?  A few sites had Mankins in the 2nd Rd, many more had Mankins listed as 2nd/3rd rd graded prospect. This- is garbage...  Not the guy, I know NOTHING about this guy.  This is however, ALL about maximizing your haul from the draft selections you have at your disposal.  
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium[/QUOTE]
    Mankins was discussed during the draft as being a 5th at best, most likely a 7th or udfa. not a 4th. The story of the 4th came later as that's where the raiders had him pegged. Mankins was a 3rd/4th on draft boards. It's easy to have revisionist history after the fact.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

You know what is most upseting about this is what it says about what BB thinks about the talent on this team at Safety that he goes out and makes a reach like this.....

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tavon Wilson S : Mankins was discussed during the draft as being a 5th at best, most likely a 7th or udfa. not a 4th. The story of the 4th came later as that's where the raiders had him pegged. Mankins was a 3rd/4th on draft boards. It's easy to have revisionist history after the fact.
    Posted by jrmccook[/QUOTE]

nope

he was a 2nd rd pick we took at the end of rd 1

nobody would have had him escaping past the early 3rd at the worst

this pick is not comparable

Vollmer would have gone in the late 3rd or early 4th

Vareen/Ridley maybe 15-20 picks later

none of those reaches compare to this idiocy

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Ok the guy is 6 foot 205... not 6'5

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joel63. Show Joel63's posts

I'm reminded of the fact that the idea isn't to win the draft, but rather win games. BB sees something in him and was certainly reassured by Ron Zook that this guy can improve the Patriots. I'll trust coach. And as for Mel Kiper, well, you know...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

"Media analysts are likely to call this pick a reach. It's a pick that reflects how the Patriots don't view things through the same lens as media analysts
    At this point, Wilson could factor in the cornerback or safety mix, so it would be dangerous to read too much into what his presence could mean for those already on the roster
    ."

Here's the problem though:  You ARE playing in a very set system against people you oppose.  In order to BEST maximize your results, You MUST take a more recognizing and more thorough & consistant gaze through the larger & greater more common-held lens of these analysts and these opponents.  You can do THAT much more, You can accomplish that much more, and you can GET that much more...

<insert here- We win alot, thus=This must clearly be a brilliant draft day decision />

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

This board is amusing.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

I wonder if the Pats are going to use their 62nd overall pick on Charlie Brown. He's a QB, kicker, and safety. Brown would have set a FG record, if only he had a more reliable holder.

:( 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I have to assume best scenario on the part of the Patriots' home-built scouting organization.

Tavon Wilson is going to, first, be a gunner on special teams instantly.  I linked that up somewhere.  I'm guessing that he hits quite hard for a 200 pounder.  Also, he played well on the field and he's been healthy and durable.  He's experienced, a 3 year starter.

BB is probably looking for another Rodney Harrison to patrol at strong safety.  Chung is not too bad there but I'm assuming that Wilson must be a better hitter.  One site said that the Ravens had looked Wilson over and were interested.  That's moderate praise, as the Ravens have done good defensive drafting.  I'll also assume due diligence on the Patriots' part and so Wilson is highly intelligent in a field of easily duped dum-dums.

Because we have no combine speeds and because his pro day was down to 4.5 and 4.55, I'll assume that maybe Wilson was under the weather that day.  Spikes was pretty slow at the combine.  For now I assume that Wilson runs a bit faster than that.

Scouts also report that Wilson is a bit stiff in the hips.  Not a good thing unless you're wanting to stop the run.  The kid can't play cornerback, just strong safety.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

Yeah...i'm at a loss myself, but I'm not terribly perturbed.  Maybe BB really didn't want to work over the weekend and figured, "why not?" :)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

The last time we all thought this the pick was Vollmer.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

you know, he finally got the 2 impact pass rushers we've been crying for years so I'll given him a pass on Wilson.  I'm just hoping they spend that late 3rd or 5th they just got on Rainey for returns. That's a pretty big weakness that needs addressing

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsNut5480. Show PatsNut5480's posts

Maybe Belichick is still hung over from partying all night after getting Jones and Hightower.  He woke up and thought it was the 7th round. 

25. This post has been removed.