Tavon Wilson S

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Re: Tavon Wilson S

In Response to Re: Tavon Wilson S:
    [QUOTE]This must be far too complicated for some of you folks:  No, past precedent of individual players doesn't work here- i.e. Rodney Harrison=5th Rder. This IS every bit about maximizing your profits, given what you have to work with as stock.  Mid 2nd Rder-  Player by ZERO consensus ANY-where, is ranked below the 200th Best Player (maybe someone can find him in the high 190's range...go for it). IF consensus rankings are 100% meaningless....thennnn, why is there such little deviation from the 1000's of seperate lists of ordered rankings of guys?  Huh?   Here's the answer-  ANSWER: Because the guy working part-time at McDonald's while playing for Safety for Asnuntuck Community College, is usually not as good as Mark Barron at Alabama.   Sometimes everyone's wrong and 1 guy is right...buuuut most often, not EVERY-one is wrong with the 1 guy being the sole correct person.  I mean, IF we are playing common-f#c-k#ng sense odds here. But hey- Say you ARE right-  Maybe the 225th best player is REALLY and TRULLY MUCH better than his 200+ ranking by 1000's and 1000's of people at Safety...  How much better is the question.  Do ya think heeee's the 48th Best Player?  Do you think that maybe, even IF you feel that he's the 48th best player, Maybe there's a shot at getting him in the 70's...80's...90's range?  Maybe, just maybe, you can get this AWESOME guy, Plus something else TOO (huh...crazy idea, right?)? 
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium[/QUOTE]

I love me some Laz. When you sink your teeth into a point, you don't let go 'til that sucker is dead and half eaten.

However, all those mock and lists that are so close to each other...how FAR OFF are they from the ACTUAL NFL draft? I saw people all over the top, say 70ish players go in the first round! While someone like Decastro (the G...think that's the spelling) is ranked as high as the 3rd best available and waits until round 2!

Yes, MAYBE you can get another pick or two, and STILL get him. But, what if you work under that assumption, go for it, and someone grabs him before you? Then you missed out on a player you really wanted, at a position where you NEED the help. Risk v Reward, and apparently BB and Co. liked this guy enough to not risk it, and are confident enough in the possible reward.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

[QUOTE]Who's Tavon Wilson?
    Posted by JetMangione[/QUOTE]
    Who's Kyle Wilson?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

[QUOTE]chad jackson terrence wheatley darius butler tavon wilson all second round picks
    Posted by viewer222[/QUOTE]

Really? I mean, really?

I'll see your pile and raise you ONLY a Gronkowski.

I don't even need to mention Vollmer, Chung, or Spikes.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

I wonder if Nick Cesario needs to have some fingers pointed his way for that Wilson pick ?

BB needs someone with guts to step up and say "wait a minute Bill ...cant we get this guy later on ? "

You get the feeling he's surrounded by yes men ... how else can you explain this pick ?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlderbutWiser. Show OlderbutWiser's posts

Ok, it was my fault. BB asked me who I would take and I said, why not Tavon Wilson. BB said why not and all the yes men surrounding him had no opinion or objection. BB said this pick is recommended by Older but Wiser, who can argue with that. I don't know anything about Tavon Wilson. I saw his name on a list used by the Ravens and Falcons and figured if he was on those lists he might as well be on the Patriots list too. BB said that was good enough for him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]I wonder if Nick Cesario needs to have some fingers pointed his way for that Wilson pick ?  BB needs someone with guts to step up and say "wait a minute Bill ...cant we get this guy later on ? "  You get the feeling he's surrounded by yes men ... how else can you explain this pick ?
    Posted by CaptnFoxboro[/QUOTE]

Frustrating and disappointing to witness BB ruin what could have been a fabulous draft for the Patriots, with this hatchet job in day two. It's almost unimaginable how badly he botched things tonight. Horrible Wilson pick at #48, and bad value trade-down from #62 made absolutely no sense. BB tossed away two second round picks...passing up a ton of good players along the way. Extremely disappointing.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Wilson used Combine snub as motivation

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

TP, why don't you take your ball and go home already! How many more times are you going to act like a 5 year old about the pick and keep ranting and raving?

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bspikes55. Show Bspikes55's posts

That LAZ guy is an idiot i mean ovi were gonna miss an a large amount of 4-7picks everyone does!!!! getting vollmer and solder offsets all those lame late rounf guys you names. Sure this may be a reach BUUUT we have the best drafts in the nfl almost every year chung, and vollmer then GRONK,DMC,HERNANDEZ, SPIKES Annnd MESKO!!! even Solder, ridley and possible dowling those r great draft go wank off to george bussey now

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sfpat. Show sfpat's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: Tavon Wilson S": Obviously bb did not think he would be there and he wanted him enough to use the 2nd round pick
    Posted by Brady2Moss07[/QUOTE]

The problem is that Wilson is a run of the mill, bottom of the roster caliber safety.  There's dozens of players similar to him available. If he's not available in the 7th round, you pick someone else and you're no better or worse off.  You don't overpay in the second round for him

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from elDunker2. Show elDunker2's posts

Wow... honorable mention in a mediocre conference with 1 interception in his senior year with a highest pre draft rating of 24th best S. Sorry BB, but like Butler, this was a horrible mistake, only worse. Even if he does pan out, you could have drafted him PLUS Still or reyes or Konz or Thompson, or Johnson or ... This is complete B...S

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctpat. Show ctpat's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tavon Wilson S : The problem is that Wilson is a run of the mill, bottom of the roster caliber safety.  There's dozens of players similar to him available. If he's not available in the 7th round, you pick someone else and you're no better or worse off.  You don't overpay in the second round for him
    Posted by sfpat[/QUOTE]

that's your opinion. Based off what? internet mocks? chat boards? you tube?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

Here are the draft stats on some great Patriots, past and present:

Tom Brady, 6th round, 199th pick
    Mark Vrabel, 3rd, 91st
    Tedy Bruschi, 3r, 85th
    Rodney Harrison, 5th, 145th
    Troy Brown, 8th, 198th
    Adam Vinatieri, Undrafted free agent

Analysts can't predict persistence, determination, professional growth and heart. The Patriots are the most successful NFL organization over the past 12 years. They have a structured decision-making process which works pretty well most of the time. They must have seen something in this kid that made them want to draft him and they had only a handful of slots available. I will trust a proven management team that puts themselves on the line every season to a bunch of analysts any day. Maybe Tavon will be a bust, maybe he will be a great special team player for the rest of his professional life, or maybe he will be another Troy Brown or Rodney Harrison. But the Patriots way works better than any other football team culture and it will get the most out of this kid. They have earned my trust, the so-called TV experts have not.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsiefan. Show pumpsiefan's posts

rtuin...you are a flat out idiot. Can't use a worse term because they won't allow it here. But TexasPat is by far one of the great posters here. His stuff is gold. And his opinion on this pick is most likely shared by 90% of Patriots Nation. What fan, even what fanatic, can be happy drafting a guy at 48 who had a consensus 200 ranking. As someone said, if the Jets had done this they'd be getting ridiculed right now.
    TexasPat has about a thousand times the street cred you do so why don't you keep your playground insults to yourself.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

I'd love to know where all these folks get their time machines from so they know with such certainty how this persons career is going to end up.  Or is it an alternative universe/ time machine? I mean all these people do know that no one was ever going to pick him, right? I mean that is what they are saying or am I wrong? 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsiefan. Show pumpsiefan's posts

It's like Coppola casting his daughter as MIcheal Corleone's daughter in Godfather III. And then casting George Hamilton as the consignierli.
    It's just bad casting is all.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

[QUOTE]rtuin...you are a flat out idiot. Can't use a worse term because they won't allow it here. But TexasPat is by far one of the great posters here. His stuff is gold. And his opinion on this pick is most likely shared by 90% of Patriots Nation. What fan, even what fanatic, can be happy drafting a guy at 48 who had a consensus 200 ranking. As someone said, if the Jets had done this they'd be getting ridiculed right now. TexasPat has about a thousand times the street cred you do so why don't you keep your playground insults to yourself.
    Posted by pumpsiefan[/QUOTE]

TP is very opinionated and has no more knowlege of football talent than I do, just cause he posts what you agree with doesn't make him great. The fact that he typically posts the same thing 20 times in a single thread reeks of an immature 5 year old that isn't getting his way. And street cred is worthless unless he's actually drafting real players for a real NFL football team and going to the superbowl every year. Is he doing that? NO I don't thinks so!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsiefan. Show pumpsiefan's posts

Man, what's with this time machine idiocy?
    The draft is a poker game. You make your bets based on scouting reports and such. Sure, you can win a big pot bluffing or even with a pair or twos. But most times you play the odds. How do we know nobody was going to pick Wilson before the fifth round? Duh, obviously we don't for sure. But you play the per centages. If a guy is ranked that low BY EVERYBODY, then you play the per centage. That is why Bellichick has a reputation for arrogance = sometimes he seems to do stuff against the grain just to be different. If he hits, it validates his genius. If me misses, cultists like you defend him with the 'four rings' mantra and so on.
    It's precisely because "he can't lose either way" that he pulls this stuff. And also because he really doesn't give a flying F what anyone else thinks. YOu can admire him for that if you chose, I personally find it grating.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsiefan. Show pumpsiefan's posts

wow, you really are an idiot. TexasPat is highly regarded by not just myself but by many on this board. I've never heard of you till right now.
    Someone has to win rings in order to have draft cred??? Or football cred???
    So Maycock and Kiper and McShay have no draft cred?
    Talk about an immature perspective...you take the cake.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

[QUOTE]finally there is some film of him. like this video please. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3hN0U5rjjo
    Posted by ricky12684[/QUOTE]
    Is that supposed to be the highlights? Michigan was running all over Illinois, and Wilson did not stand out in particular.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]Here are the draft stats on some great Patriots, past and present: Tom Brady, 6th round, 199th pick Mark Vrabel, 3rd, 91st Tedy Bruschi, 3r, 85th Rodney Harrison, 5th, 145th Troy Brown, 8th, 198th Adam Vinatieri, Undrafted free agent Analysts can't predict persistence, determination, professional growth and heart. The Patriots are the most successful NFL organization over the past 12 years. They have a structured decision-making process which works pretty well most of the time. They must have seen something in this kid that made them want to draft him and they had only a handful of slots available. I will trust a proven management team that puts themselves on the line every season to a bunch of analysts any day. Maybe Tavon will be a bust, maybe he will be a great special team player for the rest of his professional life, or maybe he will be another Troy Brown or Rodney Harrison. But the Patriots way works better than any other football team culture and it will get the most out of this kid. They have earned my trust, the so-called TV experts have not.
    Posted by neinmd[/QUOTE]

Ancient history. Furthermore, Rodney Harrison was not drafted by BB and the Pats.

Besides, what does all that matter? Aren't the Pats supposed to be about getting maximum value for each of their picks? Sorry...but taking Wilson at #48 was a horrible personnel decision, even if the kid pans out. There's no way a mid-second round pick should have been spent on a guy that the Pats likely could have gotten in round 7. There's also no way that BB should have traded down from #62 for a late 3rd, and late 5th round pick. Where's the value there? 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]Man, what's with this time machine idiocy? The draft is a poker game. You make your bets based on scouting reports and such. Sure, you can win a big pot bluffing or even with a pair or twos. But most times you play the odds. How do we know nobody was going to pick Wilson before the fifth round? Duh, obviously we don't for sure. But you play the per centages. If a guy is ranked that low BY EVERYBODY, then you play the per centage. That is why Bellichick has a reputation for arrogance = sometimes he seems to do stuff against the grain just to be different. If he hits, it validates his genius. If me misses, cultists like you defend him with the 'four rings' mantra and so on. It's precisely because "he can't lose either way" that he pulls this stuff. And also because he really doesn't give a flying F what anyone else thinks. YOu can admire him for that if you chose, I personally find it grating.
    Posted by pumpsiefan[/QUOTE]

Yeah, BB has three SB rings with the Pats...and poor personnel decisions, like the ones he made Friday night, will prevent him from picking up that elusive 4th ring.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

calm down...

d is already greatly improved from last year

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]calm down... d is already greatly improved from last year
    Posted by seattlepat70[/QUOTE]

Sorry...but I'm sick and tired of all the missed opportunities in the form of squandered high draft choices, over the past 6 years. The Pats missed a golden opportunity this year to really clean up...because BB inexplicably reached for Wilson at #48, and got far less than full value for his 62nd overall pick.