Tavon Wilson S

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Re: Tavon Wilson S

" After such a fabulous first round, it's unbelievable how badly BB has botched day two."

Since when did we judge drafts the day they happened? 

Sorry, but anytime you quote Mel Kiper to back your position up you move on very shaky ground. Kiper hasn't won anything. 

Bill doesn't always  make good personnel decisions but one of his biggest weaknesses has been unwillingnes to go after impact players in the first round. 

This year he did. 

I wasn't aware they were handing out rings next week based on the draft. 

Look, it might have been a big mistake, but it will take years to play out. 

But to argue because Kiper said no other team wanted him - well, no one knows if that's true and we saw at least one report another team was after him. 

Folks here seem to think drafting is a science. It's hit or miss, but you can't issue an immediate belly aching verdict.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In Response to Re: Tavon Wilson S:
    [QUOTE]" After such a fabulous first round, it's unbelievable how badly BB has botched day two." Since when did we judge drafts the day they happened?  Sorry, but anytime you quote Mel Kiper to back your position up you move on very shaky ground. Kiper hasn't won anything.  Bill doesn't always  make good personnel decisions but one of his biggest weaknesses has been unwillingnes to go after impact players in the first round.  This year he did.  I wasn't aware they were handing out rings next week based on the draft.  Look, it might have been a big mistake, but it will take years to play out.  But to argue because Kiper said no other team wanted him - well, no one knows if that's true and we saw at least one report another team was after him.  Folks here seem to think drafting is a science. It's hit or miss, but you can't issue an immediate belly aching verdict.
    Posted by BostonTrollSpanker[/QUOTE]

Stop it. Are you seriously going to defend BB's decisions tonight? Are you really going to argue that Wilson was the best player available at pick #48...and that taking him there represented good value? Are you seriously going to argue that BB made a good trade-down with pick #62? Is there really any doubt that the Pats' seemed much more focused and prepared on day one, than they were tonight? Do you really think that Wilson is the answer at safety?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to "Re: Tavon Wilson S": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tavon Wilson S :      Sorry...but I'm sick and tired of all the missed opportunities in the form of squandered high draft choices, over the past 6 years. The Pats missed a golden opportunity this year to really clean up...because BB inexplicably reached for Wilson at #48, and got far less than full value for his 62nd overall pick.          Posted by TexasPat[/QUOTE] Ha ha. Ha ha ha ha, Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, Lmfao, That was funny.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]I wonder if Nick Cesario needs to have some fingers pointed his way for that Wilson pick ?  BB needs someone with guts to step up and say "wait a minute Bill ...cant we get this guy later on ? "  You get the feeling he's surrounded by yes men ... how else can you explain this pick ?
    Posted by CaptnFoxboro[/QUOTE]

yes captn. thats been my assessment for years and that is apparently because bb likes it that way. its a sign of one of his weaknesses (about the only place he has weaknesses, emotionally).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to "Re: Tavon Wilson S": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tavon Wilson S :      Yeah, BB has three SB rings with the Pats...and poor personnel decisions, like the ones he made Friday night, will prevent him from picking up that elusive 4th ring.   Posted by TexasPat[/QUOTE] Oh wait, this was way better. I'm summarizing here but you are saying we will not win another sb because we drafted Tavon Wilson? I mean, that's really funny man.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tavon Wilson S :      Frustrating and disappointing to witness BB ruin what could have been a fabulous draft for the Patriots, with this hatchet job in day two. It's almost unimaginable how badly he botched things tonight. Horrible Wilson pick at #48, and bad value trade-down from #62 made absolutely no sense. BB tossed away two second round picks...passing up a ton of good players along the way. Extremely disappointing.
    Posted by TexasPat[/QUOTE]

"  Frustrating and disappointing to witness BB ruin what could have been a fabulous draft for the Patriots, with this hatchet job in day two. It's almost unimaginable how badly he botched things tonight. Horrible Wilson pick at #48, and bad value trade-down from #62 made absolutely no sense. BB tossed away two second round picks...passing up a ton of good players along the way."

agreed.
    i'm past it now.
    but totally true.
    lets focus on camp and what we can get out of what we have.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

Some of you guys take this whole, "But the talking heads have him ranked here" thing way too seriously.

BB has priapism for this kid and didn't want to risk losing out on him because someone else out there might have been thinking along the same lines.  He offers immediate versatility as he can play all across the secondary which BB just loves and which kind of fits our current needs. 

Did he over reach?  Yep, no doubt about it.  But between the tape and his private workout and meeting with this kid he got enough of a sense where he felt the difference between him and the other secondary options on the board wasn't that great, and this kid may have more potential.  So pipe down and dry your eyes children.  Regardless of how you cut it, our defense is remarkably better now than it was 48 hours ago. 

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]Some of you guys take this whole, "But the talking heads have him ranked here" thing way too seriously. BB has priapism for this kid and didn't want to risk losing out on him because someone else out there might have been thinking along the same lines.  He offers immediate versatility as he can play all across the secondary which BB just loves and which kind of fits our current needs.  Did he over reach?  Yep, no doubt about it.  But between the tape and his private workout and meeting with this kid he got enough of a sense where he felt the difference between him and the other secondary options on the board wasn't that great, and this kid may have more potential.  So pipe down and dry your eyes children.  Regardless of how you cut it, our defense is remarkably better now than it was 48 hours ago. 
    Posted by agill1970[/QUOTE]

" So pipe down and dry your eyes children"

nice touch. in time we may recover.
    especially if we have a winning season.

with a larger perspective, if i had to trade blowing the 2nd round for the 2 trade ups and maximizing the first, i would.

i mean its bb.

at least he did the un-bb like thing and went aggressive in round 1.

(instead of trading back 4 times starting in round 1 and taking a group of jags).

thanks for the post

"gramps"

:)

ps is that your dog?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

It's sorta disturbing how complicated this is for some....

1st 2nd Round Pick...on ANYyyyone of the NUMBEROUS Highly Talented Draftees still available.

2nd 2nd Rd Selection you do what Belichick did- Trade it for a 3rd and a 5th...  You then "use" (i.e. "completely bl0w it") that 3rd rder to "only" draft Tavon Wilson a mere 4 rounds ahead of where anyone else on Earth would've drafted him at <insert here: I'm sure there were alot of times high enough on the 250th ranked guy, to use the 48th overall pick on him />.

This really isn't hard people.  And look, I'm very sorry that you follow The NFL Draft 2 weeks to 1 Whole Month a year, fully educated on those 1-2 websites you look at for 30 whole minutes nearly 3 whole times a week (but still, only during this 2 week- 1 month span).  I know that makes you believe things like: "The NFL Draft is a TOTAL Cr#p shoot...you just NEVER can have even an inkling on whether or not 1 prospect just might be more successful than another in the pros," Along with this beauty- "Belichick is The Head Coach of our NE Team, and we win A-Lot under him...therefore-EVERY pick=Genius," And finally- "Pleeease, what do 10,000 Draft analysts know about rating guys each & every prospect, Almost ALL within 40 <or FAR less /> projected selection spots of each Draftee," And finally- "Rob Gronkowski was a 2nd Rder...just like Tavon Wilson=Same principle for probable Pro success."

Here, you have to choose 1 guy outta these 4 to throw on your football team:

Peter Konz
    Devon Still
    Casey Heyward
    Mohammed Sanu
    Kendall Reyes
    Vinny Curry
    Brandon Thompson
    And...
    Tavon Wilson

Will you EVER choose Tavon Wilson?!? <people that have thoroughly studied ALL 2012 NFL Draft Prospects throughout the course of the last 3 weeks...please chime in as well />.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

if jones, as mayock predicts, turns into the best defensive player in this draft, we'll  cut bb some slack for picking the 26th rated safety in round 2 and losing the equivelent of a 3rd round pick in trading back #62.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]It's sorta disturbing how complicated this is for some.... 1st 2nd Round Pick...on ANYyyyone of the NUMBEROUS Highly Talented Draftees still available. 2nd 2nd Rd Selection you do what Belichick did- Trade it for a 3rd and a 5th...  You then "use" (i.e. "completely bl0w it") that 3rd rder to "only" draft Tavon Wilson a mere 4 rounds ahead of where anyone else on Earth would've drafted him at <insert here: I'm sure there were alot of times high enough on the 250th ranked guy, to use the 48th overall pick on him />. This really isn't hard people.  And look, I'm very sorry that you follow The NFL Draft 2 weeks to 1 Whole Month a year, fully educated on those 1-2 websites you look at for 30 whole minutes nearly 3 whole times a week (but still, only during this 2 week- 1 month span).  I know that makes you believe things like: "The NFL Draft is a TOTAL Cr#p shoot...you just NEVER can have even an inkling on whether or not 1 prospect just might be more successful than another in the pros," Along with this beauty- "Belichick is The Head Coach of our NE Team, and we win A-Lot under him...therefore-EVERY pick=Genius," And finally- "Pleeease, what do 10,000 Draft analysts know about rating guys each & every prospect, Almost ALL within 40 <or FAR less /> projected selection spots of each Draftee," And finally- "Rob Gronkowski was a 2nd Rder...just like Tavon Wilson=Same principle for probable Pro success." Here, you have to choose 1 guy outta these 4 to throw on your football team: Peter Konz Devon Still Casey Heyward Mohammed Sanu Kendall Reyes Vinny Curry Brandon Thompson And... Tavon Wilson Will you EVER choose Tavon Wilson?!? <people that have thoroughly studied ALL 2012 NFL Draft Prospects throughout the course of the last 3 weeks...please chime in as well />.
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium[/QUOTE]

hes the only guy who belongs 5 rounds below the rest of those names

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Some of the posts I've read in this thread included phrases such as:
    'ruined the draft'
    'horrible pick'
    'was BB drunk'
    'guy's a clown'
    'could have been had much later'
    'no one else had him anywhere near this high'
    'wasted pick'

and the whining and second-guessing go on and on.

No disrespect to anyone because you've certainly got a right to your opinions and this board is the place to voice 'em, but I'll take BB's judgment over all of yours collectively 1,000 times out of 1,000. 

Before labeling the kid a complete bust perhaps we should see him play.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerh5. Show jerh5's posts

[QUOTE]Some of the posts I've read in this thread included phrases such as: 'ruined the draft' 'horrible pick' 'was BB drunk' 'guy's a clown' 'could have been had much later' 'no one else had him anywhere near this high' 'wasted pick' and the whining and second-guessing go on and on. No disrespect to anyone because you've certainly got a right to your opinions and this board is the place to voice 'em, but I'll take BB's judgment over all of yours collectively 1,000 times out of 1,000.  Before labeling the kid a complete bust perhaps we should see him play.
    Posted by ATJ[/QUOTE]
       Exactly.   BB doesnt care what any one elses scouting reports say. He goes by his scouting list. Maybe he got wind someone was going to take him in the 3rd, so he decided he wanted him enough, to draft him in the 2nd. None of us knows what went on in the draft room.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYPat. Show NYPat's posts

Read this and sut up. Only time will tell what's his worth or any other picks for that matter.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/7865727/tavon-wilson-reach-round-2-not-bill-belichick

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrogLegs. Show FrogLegs's posts

Pretty frustrating pick: I waited til late in the night (European time) for watching that... Selecting that new Wilson guy was a major reach.
    If BB was so badly needing a safety why not drafting Smith instead of Hightower at the end of the first round?
    To me he pulled the trigger because he found no one to trade down that first 2nd round pick and knew he would trade the 2nd one for 3rd day picks. So I ask myself: if he needed so badly draft picks for the 3rd day why trading up twice in the first place?
    I am puzzled.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from viewer222. Show viewer222's posts

Yes Gronk, Volmer were great picks! With Spikes will know more this year. And with the exception of Chung, as far as safety is concerned, the Pats have not done their homework when it comes to second round picks. I am not sure McCourty will ever be a solid CB. He may have a future at safety though. So not entirely a bust.  In Response to Re: Tavon Wilson S:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tavon Wilson S : Really? I mean, really? I'll see your pile and raise you ONLY a Gronkowski. I don't even need to mention Vollmer, Chung, or Spikes.
    Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tavon Wilson S : " So pipe down and dry your eyes children" nice touch. in time we may recover. especially if we have a winning season. with a larger perspective, if i had to trade blowing the 2nd round for the 2 trade ups and maximizing the first, i would. i mean its bb. at least he did the un-bb like thing and went aggressive in round 1. (instead of trading back 4 times starting in round 1 and taking a group of jags). thanks for the post "gramps" :) ps is that your dog?
    Posted by bredbru[/QUOTE]

Yes it is.  Oscar the mini daschund from hell. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

Feeling better about this pick today after seeing the BB interview.  I didn't realize they actually went to Illinois and worked the kid out privately.  Obviously they liked what they saw.

Tavon Wilson said that you guys worked him out privately at Illinois. Who was there?
    "
    Nick [Caserio] and Jon Robinson were there. We’ve crossed over a lot of these guys. I’m not sure I even keep track of who everybody worked out. Nick and Jon were both there."

Tavon Wilson seems unique with no Combine and no all-star games. It seems unique and there were fewer opportunities to see him play.
    "
    He played plenty. You can see him plenty at Illinois. You can see him against whoever you want to see him against: all the Big Ten schools, Arizona State, teams that throw the ball. He’s playing corner, he’s playing safety, he’s playing the inside positions, the nickel position, the dime position – Michigan State, they’re a good passing team; Michigan, they’re a spread out offense team. There’s a lot of passing in that conference, Northwestern, all those teams."

It was hard to find information on Tavon Wilson. It wasn’t in some of these scouting books. Does this represent a gap between the teams’ scouting and the media books?
    "
    Similar situation with [Sebastian] Vollmer a couple of years ago. We drafted guys – I think one year, didn’t we draft like three of four guys that were non-Combine guys? Some guys play in all-star games, some guys don’t. I don’t know who picks all those all-star teams. In all honesty, I don’t know who picks the Combine for that matter. How does [Brandon] Brooks not get invited to the Combine, kid from Miami, the offensive guard? How did Vollmer not get invited to the Combine? I don’t know. We can’t really worry about that. We just have to try to evaluate them the best we can. If they’re there, they’re there. If they’re not, they’re not. If they play in an all-star game, we look at it. If they don’t, they don’t."

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/7865727/tavon-wilson-reach-round-2-not-bill-belichick

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctpat. Show ctpat's posts

you're the expert?

[QUOTE]It's sorta disturbing how complicated this is for some.... 1st 2nd Round Pick...on ANYyyyone of the NUMBEROUS Highly Talented Draftees still available. 2nd 2nd Rd Selection you do what Belichick did- Trade it for a 3rd and a 5th...  You then "use" (i.e. "completely bl0w it") that 3rd rder to "only" draft Tavon Wilson a mere 4 rounds ahead of where anyone else on Earth would've drafted him at <insert here: I'm sure there were alot of times high enough on the 250th ranked guy, to use the 48th overall pick on him />. This really isn't hard people.  And look, I'm very sorry that you follow The NFL Draft 2 weeks to 1 Whole Month a year, fully educated on those 1-2 websites you look at for 30 whole minutes nearly 3 whole times a week (but still, only during this 2 week- 1 month span).  I know that makes you believe things like: "The NFL Draft is a TOTAL Cr#p shoot...you just NEVER can have even an inkling on whether or not 1 prospect just might be more successful than another in the pros," Along with this beauty- "Belichick is The Head Coach of our NE Team, and we win A-Lot under him...therefore-EVERY pick=Genius," And finally- "Pleeease, what do 10,000 Draft analysts know about rating guys each & every prospect, Almost ALL within 40 <or FAR less /> projected selection spots of each Draftee," And finally- "Rob Gronkowski was a 2nd Rder...just like Tavon Wilson=Same principle for probable Pro success." Here, you have to choose 1 guy outta these 4 to throw on your football team: Peter Konz Devon Still Casey Heyward Mohammed Sanu Kendall Reyes Vinny Curry Brandon Thompson And... Tavon Wilson Will you EVER choose Tavon Wilson?!? <people that have thoroughly studied ALL 2012 NFL Draft Prospects throughout the course of the last 3 weeks...please chime in as well />.
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium[/QUOTE]

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

[QUOTE]Read this and sut up. Only time will tell what's his worth or any other picks for that matter. http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/7865727/tavon-wilson-reach-round-2-not-bill-belichick
    Posted by NYPat[/QUOTE]

OHHHH! HIGH FIVE!

As I said before, the mock drafts and "experts" don't always know what they are talking about. Most would still have, or would have, an NFL job if they did. Most pertinent exerpt in my opinion:

"But others might look closer and learn that Wilson had seven teams that brought him in for visits (Buccaneers, Texans, Cardinals, Falcons, Colts, Ravens, Chargers), while Patriots director of player personnel Nick Caserio and director of college scouting Jon Robinson -- along with another club -- worked him out privately.

So while draft analysts might have missed the mark on Wilson, it's not like other teams in the league were sleeping on him and the positive traits that made him a desirable prospect. In recent weeks Wilson was a "travel guy" in scouting circles, the player who has a high volume of visits as clubs attempt to gather more information on him before setting their draft board."

There's you CONCRETE proof (as concrete as any info like this ever is). There's you interest from other teams. OK?!?!?!?!?! Many asked, there it is.

NYPat gets all the credit, I'm pasting this everywhere I see people crying about Wilson.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from sfpat. Show sfpat's posts

[QUOTE]Read this and sut up. Only time will tell what's his worth or any other picks for that matter. http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/7865727/tavon-wilson-reach-round-2-not-bill-belichick
    Posted by NYPat[/QUOTE]

What did you expect BB to say......yea we really reached on this kid, terrible player who we could have had in the 7th?  Of course he's going to defend his pick.  Two years from now when the kid is released BB will just say it didn't work out and act the same as cutting an UDFA and not mention he was the 48th pick

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from sfpat. Show sfpat's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tavon Wilson S : OHHHH! HIGH FIVE! As I said before, the mock drafts and "experts" don't always know what they are talking about. Most would still have, or would have, an NFL job if they did. Most pertinent exerpt in my opinion: "But others might look closer and learn that Wilson had seven teams that brought him in for visits (Buccaneers, Texans, Cardinals, Falcons, Colts, Ravens, Chargers), while Patriots director of player personnel Nick Caserio and director of college scouting Jon Robinson -- along with another club -- worked him out privately. So while draft analysts might have missed the mark on Wilson, it's not like other teams in the league were sleeping on him and the positive traits that made him a desirable prospect. In recent weeks Wilson was a "travel guy" in scouting circles, the player who has a high volume of visits as clubs attempt to gather more information on him before setting their draft board."   There's you CONCRETE proof (as concrete as any info like this ever is). There's you interest from other teams. OK?!?!?!?!?! Many asked, there it is.   NYPat gets all the credit, I'm pasting this everywhere I see people crying about Wilson.
    Posted by ma6dragon9[/QUOTE]

And seven visits and $5 will get a small coffee somewhere.  Just because he visited a team doesn't mean that team had any interest in him, especially in the 2nd round.  The Pats work out hundreds of players every year and very few, if any, of those who visit are actually drafted by the Pats.  Surprisingly, that's the best defense of the pick that anyone can make.