Taylor Mays.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from agent56. Show agent56's posts

Taylor Mays.

This kid is a beast at 6-3 220. He covers the field well and hits like a damn truck. According to draft guru Mel Kiper he is projected to go around the time the Pats pick. What do you guys think?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

Re: Taylor Mays.

How many Safeties can we really have? As much as I love Mays, we have other more important needs. Unless we trade Merriweather, who is overrated.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

I've heard about his shaky tackling...and also heard about his Asante-like hit or miss style. I haven't confirmed any of that so pardon me if I'm way off base.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rebels1520. Show rebels1520's posts

Safety is covered I think for us.... we have 4 solid young ones

I like Mays potential and wonder if he could be converted to a pass rushing OLB???? doubt he could but have to wonder

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Taylor Mays - USC (HT: 6'2" | WT: 225)
    Projection: 1st Round

Strengths:
    -Loves to hit, one of the biggest hitters from the safety postion in college football
    -Plays near the line of scrimmage very well, is also very good in run support
    -Speed, plays faster than his 40-time
    -Very good tackler, is always active and around the ball, knows where he should be
    -Keeps improving in coverage
    -Is physical and has great strength
    -Has all the tools to succeed

Weaknesses:
    -Needs improvement on his technique
    -Still developing his skills, needs coaching still
    -Gambles too often

He's ranked as the third safety on sideline scouting.net
    But I agree we have four safeties already, one would need to go (Meriweather) if we were to draft another.  With Meri making the pro-bowl there should be some good compensation for him.  I think he is over rated and misses more plays than he makes.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

Tend to agree....in as much as the old best player available theory works....they obviously don't do that.  They target needs and identify the 12-15 they really like then manage the draft to get them at their perceived value by trading up or down accordingly.  I know I know....hows that been workin for ya???

But I don't expect them to change much from that approach.  Perhaps though they will alter it slightly by staying put or even, yes even, trading up vs down once in awhile to get particular talent. 

I don't expect them to go saftey, with Chung, Meriweather, McGowan, et al.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

To bad for Mays too, shoulda came out last year in a relatively weak Draft for Safeties, When Scouts were ga-ga about his size & 40 time, And in a time along with all the other USC front 7 Defenders, who "covered" Taylor Mays, did-  

~With my current favorite Patriot Player, Brandon Merriweather completely and utterly regressing this year by taking awful angles to the play and misreading route recognition as he attempted to make a big play, only to run himself out of plays at best, and leave his corners without any Safety help in deep coverage at worst.  I'm pretty much all set without trading up in order to get a Safety who couldn't read a college play to save his life and who takes the worst angles I've ever seen...Thanks though, No, It appears N.E. already has one of these guys.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

agent56...you statedthe following:

'This kid is a beast at 6-3 220. He covers the field well and hits like a damn truck. According to draft guru Mel Kiper he is projected to go around the time the Pats pick. What do you guys think?'

RESPONSE: In a word...overrated. Mays had a disappointing year last season. Hits hard, when he hits something. But, in the games I've seen him play this year, he missed a lot of tackles...and had coverage issues. Not coming out last year may end up costing him a lot of money.       

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Seriously...Let Undead Al Davis trump his Coach's wishes and his Scout's analysises and Draft Mays @ #5 in the 1st, after he sees someone the size of Taylor Mays run a 4.39 40 at The Combine-Before the first game, Mays will be touted in next year's Player Journal as, "A future sure-fire Hall of Famer...a mixture of Ronnie Lott and Superman," then He'll give up an 80 yard touchdown on the first play from scrimmage... 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

I can't believe how hard some of you are on Meriweather.  He had some bad plays (name one player who didn't) but overall took a huge step forward from year 2 and is still developing.  Thinking Taylor Mays (a perfect Al Davis player by the way, more athlete than football player) will come in as a rookie and be better than a still developing young pro bowl safety is laughable.  Meriweather is on his way to an excellent career.  It takes time for players to be complete.  He's young and learning but very good.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

pye I must have watched a different season.  I saw Merriweather leave CBs hanging by bitting on playactions, take awesome angles, missed tackles, dropped picks, confused at times ect

IMHO he regressed not progressed.  I am not saying at all replace him with Mays, I don't think he'll actually be a good NFL player other than a good special teams player.

I do think safety can be an upgrade, too many big plays because of missed assignments and granted some of that would be fixed with a pass rush but having a RB run by you on your side of the field and having to chase is not been where you were supposed to be.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

"pye I must have watched a different season.  I saw Merriweather leave CBs hanging by bitting on playactions, take awesome angles, missed tackles, dropped picks, confused at times ect
    IMHO he regressed not progressed.  I am not saying at all replace him with Mays, I don't think he'll actually be a good NFL player other than a good special teams player
    ."

ABSO-lutely...I tend to grade on a curve, and so I'm always harder on the people and things which I believe can be trully special-IF I believe You have more talent and special abilities than the next guy, I'm gonna test, treat, and judge you to those elated skills (hate to sound heretical, but yeah in this sense I'm pretty much like an all-powerful God)...and so Brandon Merriweather, like every other star athlete, can liken himself to Jesus. 

Seriously, Merriweather trully can be a special NFL Safety, but I'm not sure whether it was taking over James Sander's role as the deep zone Safety more, in that McGowan it appears, occupied Merri's old spot of being closer to the LOS/covering TEs (heck, I'm not even sure in all, HOW BB used his Safeties this year, but it seems Merri's role changed).  So Brandon Merriweather was alone in the deep-desert-zone of the playing field...  He got tested and tempted alot, and in biting far too often for my tastes, Although I do still care I'm forsaking him for now since when those do not live up to my lofty expectations of them, I become a very angry and jealous Deit-err, NFL Fan... 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

I like Meriweather in coverage more than run support. He does gamble at times, but he has some picks. Mays' stock will take a hit until performs at the combine

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSII. Show BSII's posts

Last year's USC defensive rookies were very solid.  2 Pro bowlers, 2 other guys that started.  Carroll did a good job of coaching pro ready D players.  I'd take Mays if he was around and worry about log jam at safety later.  Carroll may grab him with Seahawks pick.  Taylor played with something like 7 new starters around him last year.  The kid can play and is a big safety, something Pats are lacking.  He's no Roy Williams either, can cover and run pretty well.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gulo. Show Gulo's posts

i think were already set at both safety positions, we have Meriweather, Chung, Sanders and McGowan- i cant see Mays being able to help the defense more than a 1st round passrusher would, especially because Safety is out deepest position and passrusher is our weakest

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

To ALL Fans of Taylor Mays:

~Look, I'm way too tired to explain to all of you guys that The N.E. Patriots have SEVERAL extremely more critical needs than a Safety...Man, In fact IF You went down the list of ALL the positions N.E. could possibly need, Safety just might be dead last. 

Again, So I'm far too impatient to explain the complicated aspects of exactly What Bill Belichick Right Now Looks For In an NFL Safety VERSES What USC's Taylor Mays's Strengths and Weaknesses Are...so here ALL, Read these 2 Extremely Important Links that I've found, THEN DO The Addition Yourselves...

First, What Bill Belichick looks for In a Safety (This is a MUST Read for ALL):

http://www.nfl.com/combine/story?id=09000d5d80ee96e4&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Then, You ADD it with THIS on Taylor Mays's Strengths and Weaknesses (This is apparently a must read for those who've only seen pictures of him, stats on his size and 40 time, but who've never actually watched him play football):

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/messages/chrono/18848258

~Then get back to me (sorry sounding full of contempt, but Why are we restudying simple math equations, when the history final is tommorrow and we took the math test yesterday)...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

workout warrior. Potential. We know what Tuna says about potential.

Everything I read about the kid is that he has no football instincts and tries to make up for it with pure physically abilities.

In short, even if we had a need. No thanks.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

I don't see how Mays would be any better than Merriweather - a physical talent who misses tackles while going for the big hit and plays undisciplined in zones while blowing assignments

If you're going to take a top-flight safety, 

TRADE UP FOR ERIC BERRY

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

ERIC BERRY > Taylor Mays
    (Berry is the only safety worth drafting that high over OLB's, RB's, etc)

Taylor Mays = Merriweather 2.0

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

They say he misses tackles by going for big hits instead of wrapping up.  They also say that he's undisciplined in coverage.

Sounds like Merriweather.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

Kiper is a moron cause he whiffed on Brady? Come on, man. 

Is every NFL coach and GM besides BB and Pioli a moron too, since they all passed on brady?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SICOFITALL. Show SICOFITALL's posts

PYE, are u kidding me? Merri. took a huge step back and and is nowhere near where he should be at this point. Angles, wrapping up, and judgement all should be in q's. If Berry falls to the top 10-12 we should make a move unless were hoping Thomas falls to us. Not sure FS/SS is the way to go in the first, but if you were Berry and Thomas are absolute studs and will be making big plays more the ext 10yrs. I think both are natural FS that can ball hawk, tackle very well, and play the run, and drop back in  coverage as good as Ive seen in the last 15=20 years. I think they might be the best S to come out in a long long time. Cant state enough how much I like these guys!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerh5. Show jerh5's posts

I dont know alot about Mays, but he sounds alot like Tebucky Jones to me.