Team Building: What's Next

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Re: Team Building: What's Next

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

With the Vollmer signing, the Pats are now in reasonable shape in all positions except WR.  WR should be a big priority for them in the draft and the coming waves of free agency. It's the weakest position right now. 

At all other positions, the focus now shifts to strengthening the team rather than simply building it. We still have a few areas where improvement is desirable.  I see the following three as most important:

Front seven--could use more power and quickness in the middle of the line; still need edge players with pass rush and/or coverage skills--these could be DEs or OLBs.  Scheme will be adjusted, I think, depending on the particular skills of the guys we get. 

DBs--another starting calibre corner (who can play outside) would be a very nice addition; a young safety with some potential to start is a possible nice addition too. 

OL--pretty good now, though there are still opportunities to build depth at all positions and maybe strengthen the interior.

I see special teams and the rest of the offense (QB, RB, TE) as pretty much set, especially with Leon Washington's versatility as both a kick and punt returner, though an additional punt returner (Edelman?) might be nice. 

I do not totally agree that we are in reasonable shape except for WR. Not if we are talking about have a good shot at winning the SB. The front 7 on D are still at least two quality players away from what we need. We need a starting DT opposit Vinny and to spell Vinny (and to replace him as centerpiece when he hangs it up). We still need an upgrade at DE. We could use another LB especially if we do not upgrade DE. But we need a DE I think.

Unless Dowling is healthy all year we need another CB.

And we need a #1 or #2 WR. Edelmen might end up being good enough (if we sign him) but he has not proved that nor has he shown he can stay healthy.

I think with the two recent tackles signed we are good at O line. Still, I wont be surprised to see us draft a C or guard.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Williams is going in the pick #22 to 30 range. The Pats might not get him, but the draft is deep in DTs and CBs either way. Thing is, like all drafts, we could see a run on OTs (KC, Jacksonville, Pitt, Miami etc....) You could see Warmack, Fluker, and Jones go in the 1st from the Tide alone. Jones is 2nd -3rd round material. Run on CBs could happen Milliner and Rhodes leading the pack as the elusive search for a "shutdown" corner continues. Also could see three to four QBs taken in 1st and some will be reaches (namely Barkley, Glennon and Nassib). If any or all of these things happen that could push a great DT class down a little bit. Obviously I expect Star, Shariff Floyd, and Sheldon Richardson to be gone by #29, but it all comes down to how teams rate the DT prospects on their big board and, obviously, not all are the same.

The only thing a might add is that a trade down is possible with BB if he doesn't see any player he likes at the #29 (eg; Someone likes Barkley more at #29 than #8 or #42 cf. Bills)

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

In response to JohnHannahrulz's comment:

Williams is going in the pick #22 to 30 range. The Pats might not get him, but the draft is deep in DTs and CBs either way. Thing is, like all drafts, we could see a run on OTs (KC, Jacksonville, Pitt, Miami etc....) You could see Warmack, Fluker, and Jones go in the 1st from the Tide alone. Jones is 2nd -3rd round material. Run on CBs could happen Milliner and Rhodes leading the pack as the elusive search for a "shutdown" corner continues. Also could see three to four QBs taken in 1st and some will be reaches (namely Barkley, Glennon and Nassib). If any or all of these things happen that could push a great DT class down a little bit. Obviously I expect Star, Shariff Floyd, and Sheldon Richardson to be gone by #29, but it all comes down to how teams rate the DT prospects on their big board and, obviously, not all are the same.

The only thing a might add is that a trade down is possible with BB if he doesn't see any player he likes at the #29 (eg; Someone likes Barkley more at #29 than #8 or #42 cf. Bills)

So it could be like a 2004 draft where Wifork fell down then?  If so, I wouldn't wait on that one DT that could change some things from overall D Line in 2013 and beyond.

Weren't you the same guy that two days ago was saying select the receiver in the first round and then wait for the defensive tackle? You got all upset when I suggested we select the defensive tackle first...that there were five of them that could go in the first round and we needed to land one..that we could get one of the decent receivers later. Bipolar much?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:

With the Vollmer signing, the Pats are now in reasonable shape in all positions except WR.  WR should be a big priority for them in the draft and the coming waves of free agency. It's the weakest position right now. 

At all other positions, the focus now shifts to strengthening the team rather than simply building it. We still have a few areas where improvement is desirable.  I see the following three as most important:

Front seven--could use more power and quickness in the middle of the line; still need edge players with pass rush and/or coverage skills--these could be DEs or OLBs.  Scheme will be adjusted, I think, depending on the particular skills of the guys we get. 

DBs--another starting calibre corner (who can play outside) would be a very nice addition; a young safety with some potential to start is a possible nice addition too. 

OL--pretty good now, though there are still opportunities to build depth at all positions and maybe strengthen the interior.

I see special teams and the rest of the offense (QB, RB, TE) as pretty much set, especially with Leon Washington's versatility as both a kick and punt returner, though an additional punt returner (Edelman?) might be nice. 

I do not totally agree that we are in reasonable shape except for WR. Not if we are talking about have a good shot at winning the SB. The front 7 on D are still at least two quality players away from what we need. We need a starting DT opposit Vinny and to spell Vinny (and to replace him as centerpiece when he hangs it up). We still need an upgrade at DE. We could use another LB especially if we do not upgrade DE. But we need a DE I think.

And we need a #1 or #2 WR. Edelmen might end up being good enough (if we sign him) but he has not proved that nor has he shown he can stay healthy.

I think with the two recent tackles signed we are good at O line. Still, I wont be surprised to see us draft a C or guard.

Maybe a matter of semantics here.  At WR we still don't have enough bodies signed and no true number one outside receiver, so I see that as a glaring hole in the roster. At the other positions I agree some improvement would be nice.  However, with a healthy Talib, Dennard, Arrington, Dowling, and Cole, we are at least okay at corner.  Would another starter be good to have if we are going to be a force in the postseason and have enough depth? Absolutely.  Same with the front seven.  We can get by with what we've got, but improving quality at the interior D line and on the edge would help us be more competitive.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

In response to portfolio1's comment:

Maybe a matter of semantics here.  At WR we still don't have enough bodies signed and no true number one outside receiver, so I see that as a glaring hole in the roster. At the other positions I agree some improvement would be nice.  However, with a healthy Talib, Dennard, Arrington, Dowling, and Cole, we are at least okay at corner.  Would another starter be good to have if we are going to be a force in the postseason and have enough depth? Absolutely.  Same with the front seven.  We can get by with what we've got, but improving quality at the interior D line and on the edge would help us be more competitive.

Get this "true number 1" rhetoric out your head.  Who was the "true number 1" when we were winning sbs?

Well yeah, I'm fine with changing that terminology.    We just need more impact receivers who can challenge more than the short middle areas of the field.  A Givens or Patton or young Branch type would all be okay.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

The Pats are done in FA...everything comes through the draft now. 

I see DT in round 1, WR in round 2 and another WR/CB in round 3. 

Round 1 - Jesse Williams

Round 2 - Da'Rick Rogers

Round 3 - ???

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

The Pats are done in FA...everything comes through the draft now. 

I see DT in round 1, WR in round 2 and another WR/CB in round 3. 

Round 1 - Jesse Williams

Round 2 - Da'Rick Rogers

Round 3 - ???

Round 3 Darius Slay CB, with one of the seventh take an OL

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I'm sure we'll see a few more free agents signed between now and the start of the season.  They may not be high-profile guys, but we'll certainly pick up a few more veterans who are available now or will become available later in the year as teams make further cuts. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

MThurl. Don't know who you are talking to, but I have been DT/DE or CB with the Pats first two picks for months. OL and WR are 3rd or 5th round considerations.  I like Rhodes at CB or Williams at DT in the first, but it all depends on which players are available at #29. Would like to see Edelman and Abraham signed, ideally. Gives the Pats a decent/situational pass rusher and WR depth.

For those looking for a true #1 WR in the draft neither Calvin Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald are available, and even still WRs have a high bust rate (see Millen era) and college production does not always equal NFL production.  I'd be happy if the Pats got a Decker/Jordan Shipley type player in the 3rd.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to JohnHannahrulz's comment:

MThurl. Don't know who you are talking to, but I have been DT/DE or CB with the Pats first two picks for months. OL and WR are 3rd or 5th round considerations.  I like Rhodes at CB or Williams at DT in the first, but it all depends on which players are available at #29. Would like to see Edelman and Abraham signed, ideally. Gives the Pats a decent/situational pass rusher and WR depth.

For those looking for a true #1 WR in the draft neither Calvin Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald are available, and even still WRs have a high bust rate (see Millen era) and college production does not always equal NFL production.  I'd be happy if the Pats got a Decker/Jordan Shipley type player in the 3rd.

Oh, sorry I wasn't talking to you. Yeah I agree...dt or de in the first, after that I might go receiver if the position is as unsettled as it is now for us.