Tebow, Christianity and the Media

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

Tebow, Christianity and the Media

This quote is from Michael Silver's column on Yahoo Sports this week. It brings up many questions about the role of religion, prostylizing vs. self expression, First Ammendment rights and what kind of controversy players will bring with them etc. Your thoughts?

Last week, one AFC front-office executive went so far as to turn Tebow’s biggest perceived positive against him, saying the quarterback’s much-publicized embracing of Christian values and immense popularity made him a less attractive draft pick.

“I don’t want any part of him or the circus,” the executive said. “At some point, as a team, don’t you have to be concerned with what comes with him? The guy has never met a microphone he didn’t like, and he’s obviously got a message. I think he needs to go away and hide for awhile.”

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

Re: Tebow, Christianity and the Media

Funny that the media are always willing to forgive and forget little issues like assaults, DUI and gun charges, but apparently the crime of having Christian beliefs is unforgivable.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

In Response to Re: Tebow, Christianity and the Media:
    Funny that the media are always willing to forgive and forget little issues like assaults, DUI and gun charges, but apparently the crime of having Christian beliefs is unforgivable.  
    Posted by unclealfie

Couldn't have said it better myself.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RushThePillPopper. Show RushThePillPopper's posts

Posted by unclealfie
    ...None of those things are 'forgiven and forgotten' so don't try to make this out to be an anti-Christian thing. And prostelytizing to others who have no interest in your "values" is NOT a welcome distraction.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SidewayZ29. Show SidewayZ29's posts

It is obvious that it is an anti-christian thing to this front office guy. Too bad for him, Tebow is a class act! Funny how so many people in this country have forgotten that this country was originally founded by christians that wanted freedom of religion. My opinion is if you don't like christianity than find another country to call home. GOD BLESS!

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mountainmonkey. Show mountainmonkey's posts

In Response to Re: Tebow, Christianity and the Media : ...None of those things are 'forgiven and forgotten' so don't try to make this out to be an anti-Christian thing. And prostelytizing to others who have no interest in your "values" is NOT a welcome distraction.
    Posted by RipFace
    Ahhh..I couldn't have said it better myself...

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Never met a microphone he didn't like?

Ummm . . .   I don't think Tebow is seeking those microphones out so much as they are being thrust in his face. Yes, there's a lot of hype surrounding Tebow, and his own machinery may be responsible for at least some of it, but he is hardly the first evangelical Christian to seek employment in the NFL. A lot of guys "come with a message," and there are all different kinds of messages. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if there are prayer groups on every team that you never hear anything about (of course, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if there aren't, either). Whether you subscribe to Tebow's mythology or not, I think it's a little disingenuous to take a hand in creating a media monster and then saying, "I don't want that guy, he's a media monster."

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mountainmonkey. Show mountainmonkey's posts

"The United States is, in no way, founded on the Christian religion."...John Adams, 2nd President, in the Treaty of Tripoli, 1797, and latter ratified by Congress....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

The media has gotten its mileage out of every Tebow angle, whether its his intangibles, the fact that he's a "winner", and now his religious beliefs.  I really believe that if some late round prospect from a lesser school got shouted down for suggesting that the fellas pray before they took the Wonderlich it's a non-story.  Tim Tebow is a media darling whether you love him for being a fantastic college player or whether you loathe him for trying to shove his religious beliefs down your throat.  

The problem with Tebow is that he certainly doesn't shy away from the questions about his beliefs.  In fact, he actively seeks a platform to espouse them (Superbowl ad anyone?).  Not saying this makes him a bad guy, but I do agree that it could become a distraction.  But compared to the Roethlisberger type of "distraction", I'd take the Tebow type any day of the week. 

Ultimately, if you can perform at a high level in the NFL, your teammates would probably care less about your moral fibre or lack thereof.    

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RushThePillPopper. Show RushThePillPopper's posts

Never met a microphone he didn't like? Ummm . . .   I don't think Tebow is seeking those microphones out so much as they are being thrust in his face. Yes, there's a lot of hype surrounding Tebow, and his own machinery may be responsible for at least some of it, but he is hardly the first evangelical Christian to seek employment in the NFL. A lot of guys "come with a message," and there are all different kinds of messages. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if there are prayer groups on every team that you never hear anything about (of course, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if there aren't, either). Whether you subscribe to Tebow's mythology or not, I think it's a little disingenuous to take a hand in creating a media monster and then saying, "I don't want that guy, he's a media monster."
    Posted by p-mike
    ...I am sure there are groups that "have a message" on every team. It makes me cringe when they interview players and the first thing they say is "I'd like to thank the Lord....." WE DON"T CARE WHO YOU WANT TO THANK. Just answer questions and keep your beliefs to yourself...be it Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Satanism (haha), or whatever. Some of the "churchies" on this site would probably have a cow if a Muslim or say Satanist gave thanks to their "benefactor"(??) on TV. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

One player said "...shut the f*** up"

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/23/tebows-pre-wonderlic-prayer-request-falls-flat/?related=1

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

It is obvious that it is an anti-christian thing to this front office guy. Too bad for him, Tebow is a class act! Funny how so many people in this country have forgotten that this country was originally founded by christians that wanted freedom of religion. My opinion is if you don't like christianity than find another country to call home. GOD BLESS!
    Posted by SidewayZ29

Do you realize that in June of 1701, Massachusetts passed a law ordering all Roman Catholic priests to leave the bay colony within three months or they would be subject to life imprisonment or execution?  Does this sound like a cry for freedom of religion by good ol' Christians?  God is mentioned once in the Declaration of Independence; the document was written for many reasons other than religion.   

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

"The United States is, in no way, founded on the Christian religion."...John Adams, 2nd President, in the Treaty of Tripoli, 1797, and latter ratified by Congress....
    Posted by mountainmonkey

Of course the country was not founded on any particular religion.  It was founded on freedom, period.  You know, the whole "...certain unalienable rights" that were "endowed by their Creator" stuff?  But to argue that Judeo-Christian values were not a significant influence on the founding of the nation is foolish. 

Without context, i.e., what was the rest of text of the treaty you took this from and what was it about, the statement from Adams is not proof of anything, and I could find 100 quotes from various sources that would run counter to it. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from KellieMB. Show KellieMB's posts

Posted by SidewayZ29

You're an idiot. So Muslims, Jews etc should leave the country? Nice. I think they call that racism, how Christian of you!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from EASON11. Show EASON11's posts

Its funny we are talking about this. On Mike and Mike this am they were saying Tebow requested that they say a  group prayer before the Wonderlic test and someone in the back on the classroom yelled shut the hell up or something to that effect...........I don't know the truth to it .............Golic was cracking up..........It was funny

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mungomunro. Show Mungomunro's posts

The NFL is full of Southern Baptists and no one has a problem with it.

Tebow is one of those arogant holier then thou types who think they know Gods mind.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RushThePillPopper. Show RushThePillPopper's posts

In Response to Re: Tebow, Christianity and the Media : You're an idiot. So Muslims, Jews etc should leave the country? Nice. I think they call that racism, how Christian of you!
    Posted by KellieMB
    ...a first!! Kellie and I agree on something. The American Taliban lives and here (Sidewayz) is a prime example of their membership

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

The NFL is full of Southern Baptists and no one has a problem with it...    Posted by Mungomunro

Do you have a problem with it? 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RushThePillPopper. Show RushThePillPopper's posts

In Response to Re: Tebow, Christianity and the Media : Do you have a problem with it? 
    Posted by Muzwell
    ...The answer to this is that we don't care what religion you practice (or don't practice) but we do not want to hear it. Isn't your relationship with God/whatever a private matter? If so, why are so many so eager to blather on and on about it? Be a zealot if you want, keep it to yourself and everybody will be happy. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

God has no time for Football he/she/it spends all it's time watching children die while poor OJ has to search for the real killer from behind bars now.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from uncommon13. Show uncommon13's posts

All you super Christians would be honking a different tune if Tebow was Jewish and tried to say a prayer before the test.

I dont care what religion you are. This is a free country you can be whatever you want to be. But that in no way means you get to force it upon other people.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeachRooster. Show BeachRooster's posts

All you super Christians would be honking a different tune if Tebow was Jewish and tried to say a prayer before the test.

Wrong.