Tebow in 1st round??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ehop14. Show Ehop14's posts

Tebow in 1st round??

Watching NFL Network and Jason La Canfora just reported that the Pats might have interest in drafting Tim Tebow with their first round pick. He says Bill Belichick will make him a backup QB or a HB or FB. I think this is a terrible idea! We have too many holes to fill and Tebow is not that great. Your thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yapple. Show Yapple's posts

Re: Tebow in 1st round??

Given the history of QBs who never lose a college football game in Florida, I doubt if Tebow will be drafted by anyone in the first round. Whoever does draft him will be commended for making a "steal".

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I hope not, the there are a couple of positions on the Pats that they do not need to fill and QB is one of them.  Nobody uses full backs and I can't see him as a HB.  Maybe they are baiting teams into picking him even though they have no interest.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

The Pats will need a QB of his size and strength because the OL will get him killed.
     REBUILD THE LINES!!!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Below is what I posted back in September about Tebow......I'm in the small minority of fans that would love to see Tebow in a Pat's uni and think he'll be successful, though I don't deny that he needs plenty of work on his mechanics and ability to play under center. 

Hear me out......

NE drafts Tim Tebow with one of their first 4 picks in the 2010 if he's available.  Grooms him to be Brady's eventual replacement, no rush as they will most likely resign Brady following the 2011 (he'll be 34) season for an additional 3 years or so.  Grooming a QB long term seemed to work well for San Fran in the 90's (Montana to Young) and Green Bay could see the same pay off soon with Aaron Rodgers who sat behind Favre for 3 years before getting his chance to start last year.

The guy is a winner, he's built like a brickhouse, has leadership skills that are off the charts and is very smart, tough and athletic.  Essentially he's what you want, leading your team into battle. He also has an NFL caliber arm, can make all the throws and is mobile.  He will need some extended time under center/dropping back and reading NFL defenses, but that is where the development time comes into play, again, he's an extremely smart/cerebral player.  It would only be added value to have a QB who can throw AND run if needed, with some wildcat possiblities. 

I'm crazy for thinking NE would look at a spread QB?  Well NE is one of 4 teams that have consulted Florida HC Urban Meyer about the spread offense and Tebow.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from EASON11. Show EASON11's posts

Tebow will not go in the first round and the Patriots will not select him..............

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from paparui. Show paparui's posts

I don't seem them using a 1st Rounder on him cause of all the immediate needs. I wouldn't be surprised if they drafted him after the 1st with Bill's ties to Meyer. Bill needs to remember Chad Jackson when he took Meyer's advice.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

mbeaulieu,
    Do you mean small minority? 

There are two things I disagree with you about.  First, Brady is 32, it is likely he will play at least six more years.  Tebow will be a free agent by that time.  That is a long time to sit a guy on the bench to learn, especially if they are making first round pick money.  Tebow would be one of the highest paid players on the roster, If he doesn't contribute in the first few years the Pats will have salary cap problems.  I question his leadership abilities around grown men.  College kids are more impressionable and his religious beliefs will not be shared by people who are older and set in thier beliefs.  I don't think anyone can be a leader from the bench anyway.

The second thing is, is there a prototype in the NFL for a big running QB?  Many scouts seem to think Tebow's accuracy is average to below average for the NFL.  Right now the best QB's in the NFL are pocket passers and I don't know of any guys who have historically been able to turn running ability into QB success.  Vick wasn't very good, Steve Young was great but he was more of a passer.  Running QB's seem to have durability problems also.  I just think it's a big risk.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Tebow won't be a good NFL quarterback. He just doesn't have the skills. He doesn't have a strong arm, he's not accurate, he has a slow release (and a goofy throwing motion), and his college system doesn't replicate an NFL offense. Remember Alex Smith in Meyer's system? How'd that turn out. As for his running skills, it's easy to bull people over when you have a more talented team and you're in college. In the NFL Tebow will be chased down by a 4-3 D end, and any linebacker. I think it's ridiculous to suggest any team would pick him with a first round pick. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcappy. Show jcappy's posts

If Tebow doesn't go before us to some southern city team, he will most likely be drafted in round 2.  And if BB is condidering him, it has to be for his leadership and versatility.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Instead of going after a great college QB I hope they go after a difference maker on defense that can rush the passer. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from paparui. Show paparui's posts

That report is just a smokescreen before the draft. Do you think a team would say who they are really interested in before the draft.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from k-maxx. Show k-maxx's posts

We have to many holes to fill and QB isn't one of them.  If he's there in the 4th then go get him.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

shenanigan,

Yes, it was a typo, I went back and fixed my wording, thanks.

Per my original post, I stated they may draft him with "one of their first 4 picks in the 2010 if he's available.", personally I don't see them taking him in rd 1, though if he's availabing in round 2 when they pick it's a possibility.  I don't deny that Brady is still fairly young so a lot will depend on how they view him long term.  They drafted O'Connell in rd 3 of the 2008 draft, so they've shown that they're willing to spend a top 100 pick on a QB.

I don't think the other "running" QB's that have come out (Vick, Vince Young etc) have had the smarts and/or mental capacity of Tebow.  I don't deny their athleticism as they're both elite, but both appear to have rocks in their heads.  It's also not fair to take away from his leadership skills because he's leading college kids, the NFL draft is all about projecting a player, so he hasn't had the chance to lead "grown men" in an NFL setting yet, however the fact is that he's shown elite leadership skills.

I agree it is a big risk, however IMO he's the kind of player that you take a chance on......

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SICOFITALL. Show SICOFITALL's posts

Mbeau, he wasnt a real QB in college, what makes you think he'll be one in the pros? And what position would he play, I dont think your a moron, so Im assuming you know he cant play QB in the pros. So you wanna take a H/B or backup QB in the first or second round?  And again this guy has NEVER shown that he can be a legitimate QB, his running skills are not even close to guys like Cunningham, Vick, and Young, both Youngs. That would work for about an hour, his accuracy is a HUGE problem. He cant hit air past 15 yards, reminds me alot like Cassell in that respect. I think your trying a little to hard to be different and a little to hard thinking outside the box. I commend you for trying, but when you do think outside the box sometimes you look foolish.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DBAZ22. Show DBAZ22's posts

Tebow won't be drafted at least until the 4th round, and at that he won't ever be a starting QB in the NFL.  Last Heisman Trophy winning QB to have a successful career?  Flutie?  Someone help me out here.