Tebow working on throwing...NFL style

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

Tebow working on throwing...NFL style

Does this change anybodies mind or do you think he's still not an NFL QB?

Tebow to unveil new delivery at pro day

By Adam Schefter
    ESPN
    Archive

One of the most celebrated players in college football history is, essentially, painting over the masterpiece he created at the University of Florida.

In an effort to quiet his critics and refine his game, former Gators quarterback Tim Tebow is changing the way he holds a football, shifting it from his waist to his shoulder.

He is concentrating on taking three- and five-step drops instead of working out of the shotgun formation he did at Florida.

He will not unveil Tebow 2.0 at this week's scouting combine in Indianapolis, preferring instead to wait for his pro day at the University of Florida on March 17.

Tim Tebow
    Cliff Welch/Icon SMITim Tebow, throwing a pass in Senior Bowl practice last month, hopes to improve his draft stock with a new approach that includes drop-back passing.

But until then, he will continue working on improving his fundamentals in an effort to improve his draft position and his game.

"I'm not changing who I am or how I approach football," Tebow said Sunday night from Nashville, Tenn., where he has been busy remaking the style that was good enough to win one Heisman Trophy and two national championships at Florida.

"But there are things that I can get a lot better at -- my fundamentals. I've never been asked to shorten or quicken my release and not have a loop in it. The changes I'm making have gone very well and it's becoming more and more natural to me."

Asked if he would have embarked on such an extensive and exhausting process had his performance at the Senior Bowl not been so roundly criticized, Tebow said: "Probably, just because of the quarterback coaches I've been working with. I want to get better. I want to be around people who will push me. I will do anything to get better. Without hearing the criticism, I would have done it.

"It's made me more confident, more accurate. And that's not to say I haven't had this type of coaching in the past. I just have had different coaching than this NFL style."

Working with a coaching team that includes former NFL offensive coordinator Zeke Bratkowski, Montreal Alouettes head coach Marc Trestman, Arizona State's new offensive coordinator Noel Mazzone and former NFL head coach Sam Wyche, Tebow has been tutored in a pro-style way.

Bratkowski has concentrated on getting Tebow to raise the football to where it now does not dip lower than his shoulder. The delivery that allowed Tebow to complete over 67 percent of his passes at Florida but the one that also was roundly questioned during and after the Senior Bowl has begun to be made over at the pre-draft workouts in Nashville.

Much of the work has started with Tebow's feet, which were used to working out of a shotgun offense. Now Bratkowski and others have drilled Tebow on the requisite footwork that he will need to become a successful NFL quarterback.

You're not looking at the same quarterback. To say we're there 100 percent where we want to be, no. But we'll be more improved come pro day.

-- Former NFL offensive coordinator Zeke Bratkowski, part of the coaching team tutoring Tim Tebow

Anyone who has seen Tebow has noticed the difference -- already.

"You're not looking at the same quarterback," said Bratkowski, who has worked with quarterbacks such as San Diego's Philip Rivers, Philadelphia'sMichael Vick and Boomer Esiason. "To say we're there 100 percent where we want to be, no. But we'll be more improved come pro day than we are at this point in time now."

Tebow still will attend this week's combine, go through his medical tests, meet with coaches, and do everything but throw. Then he will return to Gainesville to further work on upgrading his fundamentals with Bratkowski and others so that Tebow will not revert back to his old ways during his upcoming workouts.

"That's the reason we're trying to rep it and rep it and rep it," Bratkowski said. But those reps apparently have paid off already. Those that have seen Tebow's new delivery believe it is noticeably quicker.

"The ball is coming out a lot faster now," Trestman said. Yet what most impressed Trestman about Tebow was not the quarterback's adaptability but his mental capacity.

"His intelligence level is as high as any quarterback I've encountered coming out of college," Trestman said. "His intelligence is off the charts. After spending time with Tim, it was evident that he learned a lot of football in his four years at Florida -- a lot.

"As a result he has been able to quickly adapt and make corrections in his throwing motion and footwork that will allow him to get the ball out faster and improve his accuracy. He has more than enough arm strength and shown he can make all the throws at the next level. He has only been at it for a few weeks so I can only anticipate he will continue to improve."

Tebow's intelligence has manifested itself at workouts in which Bratkowski said the coaches learn more from Tebow than he learns from them. His intelligence has enabled him to grasp what the coaches are trying to teach.

Many, including ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. and Todd McShay, questioned how Tebow's delivery would translate at the NFL level. Yet rather than wait to find out, Tebow decided to change it and make it more efficient.

Other quarterbacks have tried a similar approach, achieving mixed results. From the time he left Tennessee and arrived in Indianapolis, quarterback Peyton Manning changed and perfected his delivery. Former No. 1 overall pick David Carr once changed his, but never managed to make it consistently work.

Other high-profile athletes in other sports have changed their game, as well. Through the years,Tiger Woods has changed his golf swing on multiple occasions. Now Tebow is waging a similar battle, trying to upgrade his fundamentals in time for his NFL pro day, so teams can be impressed enough with him to draft him higher than they currently have him slotted.

"Things like this are challenges for him," Bratkowski said. "He doesn't have rabbit ears, but he knows what people are saying and he hears it -- and that motivates him. He is working hard to make sure what he is doing now is something he can showcase later."

Tebow does not plan to wait long.

"I've done this several thousand times," Tebow said. "With continued work, I will have this down pat by minicamp. It will be like second nature. It's not like it feels awkward to me now. I'm excited about the changes I've made."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanGermany. Show PatsFanGermany's posts

Re: Tebow working on throwing...NFL style

I wouldn't mind it at all if the Patriots draft Tebow.  He knows how to win.  I know nothing about throwing mechanics and I really don't know how important it is.  I mean, how long does it take to move your are forward?  .10 of a second?

I don't think the Pats should take him with either of thier first 2 picks, but one of thier latter second rounders would be okay by me.  Some mock drafts have us taking him in the first, but I think that is ridiculous.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rocher. Show rocher's posts

If Vince Young can make it (eventually)..I say Tebow can make it. They are almost identical in my opinion (Tebow most likely smarter, Young maybe a slightly stronger arm).
    Both are big and strong, have awkward throwing styles, played in spread type non pro style offenses that were highly successful in college.
    The question is where do you take him ?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I still think Tebow could become a good to great NFL QB but to me a couple things have to happen.

1) He has to be willing to work hard and ride the bench
    2) Any team that wants him has to be patient and give him timeto develope
    3) He's going to need 3-5 years of just practice and bench work to redefine his abilities

Now there are a couple of teams out that are willing to be patient and wait for him to develope, the Pats are one of them.I would love to pick him up but not at the cost of an early pick. For me the 4th at the earliest or if we can trade Ad for a 5th then I would take him in a heart beat. The only question for me is if he'd have the drive to sit the bench for 4 years, work hard, and just learn.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In Response to Re: Tebow working on throwing...NFL style:
    If Vince Young can make it (eventually)..I say Tebow can make it. They are almost identical in my opinion (Tebow most likely smarter, Young maybe a slightly stronger arm). Both are big and strong, have awkward throwing styles, played in spread type non pro style offenses that were highly successful in college. The question is where do you take him ?
    Posted by rocher

Well, the obvious difference is 6'5 vs. 6'2.  But otherwise the comp may be apt.  Not sure what it proves since Young has not exactly been a rousing success in his first 4 years.  He has proven nothing.  In my opinion, someone is going to take Tebow way too high relative to his ability and there's better value at that position if a team is in the market for a QB.  Give me Dan LeFevour in the 5th round anyday, although I'm not sure the Pats need to be picking a QB in this draft at all.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Gotta love the kid's spirit. I've never seen anything like it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

He reminds me of a bigger Steve Young. Lefty awkward style, fast hard runner, work ethic through the roof....if he's there in 6th I would be upset if the Pats took him. He most like go higher to a team looking to sell season tickets and fill their stadium....Jacksonville? Buffalo? or maybe to replace that choker in Indianapolis....LOL!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

No to tebow! his skills will not translate to the NFL.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Jax might take him at 11 or whatever.

The only crit on Tebow (besides being opinionated about his religion) is his technique.

He's not your moron type athlete like Chad Jackson who doesn't learn no matter how many times you tell him.

He knows his throwing mechanics were fundamentally flawed, and he is starting from scratch, knowing that thousands and thousands of reps are the only way to make it feel natural.

I wouldn't bet against this guy.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

That's cute. Dude had four plus seasons to get his delivery right, and now wants to 'unveil' his new delivery?

Gimme a break. 

I hate the fact that people are gushing over this like it is news too. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

I would bet against this guy. The guy runs a 4.8 40 and isn't quick. Is he going to refine his running technique too? This is a joke. One good article and two posters are impressed. The NFL's pretty competitive. It's hard for qb's who don't have funny throwing motions, so it'll be impossible for a guy like Tebow. Steve Young actually threw the ball well in college, Tebow did not. It's not a fair comparison. And Vince Young stinks, so maybe that's a good comparison (although Vince Young is a MUCH MUCH MUCH better athlete). 

How many more stupid Tebow threads will appear? 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

He knows how to win? LOL! So did Ken Dorsey! That's a ridiculous statement. You can't compare winning in college to winning in the pros. TB was 20-5 at Michigan (not a great record for such an established program) and he didn't dictate whether Michigan won or not. Tebow was surrounded by exceptional talent at FLA, and that is the largest reason why they won. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

That's cute. Dude had four plus seasons to get his delivery right, and now wants to 'unveil' his new delivery? Gimme a break.  I hate the fact that people are gushing over this like it is news too. 
    Posted by zbellino

You beat me to it Z.  I thought that that was the whole purpose of him staying in school last year so he could show us his new delivery in 2009.  What we got was the same ol', same ol'.  If the statement is true it's a little late.  He knew the knocks on him last year and he didn't fix it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Would Tebow ride the bench though?  Someone will bite on him before our 4th pick comes up anyway (we don't have a 3rd) so I guess it's a moot subject.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rocher. Show rocher's posts

Of course Florida winning had nothing to do with Tebow..he's just a P.O.S.
    Someone else threw for 235 + yards per game, I mean those receivers are so good they throw the ball to themselves a la Snoopy playing ping pong in  A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving.
    Look at all those Fla WR's..They are never busts..right Chad Jackson.?.they are so talented. It's a superstar's world in Gatorland and Tebow's just living in it.

The Vince Young comparision is apt because he is not a star..but he is not a bust either. He has lasted 4 years in the NFL and even starts. A bust to me never sees the field or gets cut. He is no star but is a starting NFL QB. That is maybe what Tebow can aspire..not much more.
    I find it comical that many are so cocksure Tebow will be a bust and even seem to relish it. Ooooh, the guy is religious..not a gangsta.  What a doosch.
    Like he has so much less going for him than all the other 1500 NFL players .

And it seems football actually means something to the guy, his tears can be hokey but I do not believe he is a phony. I'm no fan of writing on eye black..but at least he's more original than putting his area code on it.
    Only time will tell.
     Ohhh..Brady won 80 % of games at Michigan as a starter..the program has an overall winning % of 73 %. I guess he was a winner in college as well.
    PS..isn't the knock on Jay Cutler..that he has never won anything in college or the pros. I'm confused now..but he has so much talent..he makes all the throws.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Rocher: I see your point but it's just out of hand how everyone thinks Tebow is a greek God who will be successful because he's Tebow. That's stupid. My point is that he:

a) Doesn't throw well for a NFL qb. Not good arm strength and a very slow release.
    b) Doesn't run very fast (not nearly fast as Vince Young, who doesn't run successfully in the NFL)
    c) Didn't play qb in an NFL style offense.
    d) Has terrible habits in the pocket. He takes many sacks and doesn't throw the ball away.
    e) Was God-awful in the senior bowl.
    f) Played with great players at FLA. Last year Percy Harvin was rookie of the year. I don't think Tebow played with Chad Jackson.
    g) Is not similar to the 'project' qbs that BB usually selects. Think Matt Cassel (has raw tools but maybe not plus experience). I don't think Tebow projects to that type of player.

I just don't see it. I believe you need more than heart and eye-black to succeed in the nfl, and I think it's clear Tebow doesn't have what it takes.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I can see him being taken in the second round. I don't know which team takes but you can be sure that if BB likes him he'll take him. I don't think Tebow is about to become a WR,TE,FB or any other type of player he's a leader and he's played the QB position forever,so thats his lot in life.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stompper. Show Stompper's posts

He reminds me of a bigger Steve Young. Lefty awkward style, fast hard runner, work ethic through the roof....if he's there in 6th I would be upset if the Pats took him. He most like go higher to a team looking to sell season tickets and fill their stadium....Jacksonville? Buffalo? or maybe to replace that choker in Indianapolis....LOL!
    Posted by harleyroadking103

I am so glad you mentioned Steve Young, because when Steve Young took over for Joe M the concern was that his way of throwing (mechanics) was all wrong and akward. He was a running quaterback, whenever he got into trouble he ran (not such a bad thing) but they wanted a pocket passer.
    Mr. T has an advantage, he is a proven winner, he is a smart kid, and a superb athlete, and number one, HE WANTS TO BE AN NFL QUATERBACK. But he also will not give up. I hope and believe that he will do very well in the NFL if he gets with the right team that will giv ehim the chance to evolve. I hope its with the Ptriots

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In Response to Re: Tebow working on throwing...NFL style : ... HE WANTS TO BE AN NFL QUATERBACK. But he also will not give up. I hope and believe that he will do very well in the NFL if he gets with the right team that will giv ehim the chance to evolve. I hope its with the Ptriots
    Posted by Stompper

I want to be an NFL QB too, but alas, like Tim Tebow, it's probably not happening.  

Seriously, apart from the fact he's a good guy, why do you want the Pats to take him?  I just don't get the fascination with this guy.  Why not pick a guy who doesn't have to alter his mechanics, who can already throw? 

You can compare him all you want to Steve Young or Vince Young, or Mighty Joe Young for that matter.  But he's Timmy Tebow, a product of a great college system like Ty Detmer and Andre Ware and a long line of great college QBs who couldn't play a lick in the NFL.  I'll tell you who he is, if you want a better comp, he's a more athletic Byron Leftwich.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In Response to Re: Tebow working on throwing...NFL style :...I'll tell you who he is, if you want a better comp, he's a more athletic Byron Leftwich.
    Posted by Muzwell

Actually I take that back, Leftwich has a better arm.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stompper. Show Stompper's posts

In Response to Re: Tebow working on throwing...NFL style : I want to be an NFL QB too, but alas, like Tim Tebow, it's probably not happening.   Seriously, apart from the fact he's a good guy, why do you want the Pats to take him?  I just don't get the fascination with this guy.  Why not pick a guy who doesn't have to alter his mechanics, who can already throw?  You can compare him all you want to Steve Young or Vince Young, or Mighty Joe Young for that matter.  But he's Timmy Tebow, a product of a great college system like Ty Detmer and Andre Ware and a long line of great college QBs who couldn't play a lick in the NFL.  I'll tell you who he is, if you want a better comp, he's a more athletic Byron Leftwich.
    Posted by Muzwell

To answer your statement, you can become an NFL quaterback, try out for a team and see whats happens.
    Here is the thing, there isnt anyone out here that knows how Tebow will play. NO ONE on this Patriot chat is an expert, and face facts here, NOT one expert in the past thought T Brady was going to be a GOOD quaterback let alone a hall of  famer. Brady was regaurded as too thin, too slow, weak arm, cant throw the long ball, and NO feet. Same for Steve Young, same for Joe Montana, I could go on, did I mention Doug Flutie?
    Look, we all like to voice our opinions and thats ok, but for anyone in here to say they know for sure about this or that, that is purely fantasy on all our parts. Tebow could be the worlds biggest bust, or he could be another hall of fame quaterback, not one of us know. Even the great BB has picked losers, thats just how it goes.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Urban Meyer screwed him over.  He used him and didn't give him any of the tools to succeed at the next level. 

It's become popular to hate him for some reason.  Maybe because his skills aren't worth the hype he got, but that's nothing new (ever heard of Reggie Bush).  He seems to work hard and care about winning.  I hope he makes it somewhere but the Pats Starting QB position is filled, the backup slot looks filled too.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

It's good that he recognizes his weakness and willing to try to change. Whether or not he can change enough to make a good NFL QB - who knows?

His PR people had to do something to increase his market value, cuz he may not get another chance.....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

All the Tebow fans love comparing him to Steve Young, but Tebow isn't as fast, quick, smart, or as sound as Steve. Tebow is more Vince Young with Wes Welker speed-- Which is 4.80. He isn't Steve Young or Joe Montana, he is another 9er QB known as ALEX SMITH. You Tebow fans know who Alex Smith is, aka a huge bust.

I should know, I love the 9ers.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mungomunro. Show Mungomunro's posts

A huge ego and a tax free PR team isn't how you win superbowls.

I could see the Colts taking him in the later rounds.