Tedy Bruschi says one of Patriots needs is Running Back???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: Tedy Bruschi says one of Patriots needs is Running Back???

Rusty, I thought Bolden ran well, but didn't seem to have Ridley's explosiveness.  I do think Bolden may be a better receiver.  Ridley dropped some easy passes.  That's tough in this offense because with Brady you want a back who can catch.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tenace4life. Show tenace4life's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

If Lattimore is there late (5th round or later), he is worth a chance.

Lattimore has had two knees done . . . I do not see him going before the 3rd round but he will be gone before the Pats select in the 7th so they would have to trade up for a shot a him.  They could do that (trade their first pick and a seventh for a second and fourth)  and take him in the 4th then put him on IR for a year while he gets his knees to 100%.  

If Lacy is there in the first round it would not surprise me to see the Pats grap him  . . . Ridley and Lacy sharing the number one back position and Vereen being the third down back, it would be a good backfield  . . . then they'd have Demp/Washington/Bolton fighting it out for the back-up spot to Vereen.  If Sanders come here you will also see Sanders out of the backfield on 3rd down situations or when they want to spread the field.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

In response to zbellino's comment:

I don't like Russel Sheppard, he never reall caught on to the playbook, which is not hyper complex. 

If BB is looking for value, I think Ford could be a good option. He didn't flourish, but LSU switches backs in and out. He is a legit HR threat though, and he's never had the ball control issues that Ridely had. He also has much less experience and isn't a natural football mind from what I've seen. He's killer on the option, but there has to be more. He is also leaving because he's lost time to Blue, who looks even better. 

Spencer Ware lost time, he was a somewhat less effective version of Ridley, and kind of a duplicate. 

Ford in the 56th or something like that would be a great value pick, someone you can farm, and can come compete. He is just a fantastic athlete really. Rolling the dice for cheap can be good. 

If BB went high, I would want it to be someone special that really isn't there. From what I've seen Lacy is a lot like Ridley. Kind of an upright runner, cut and go style, some ball control issues, maybe he is a bit thicker, a touch better at the top gear, and has better upside in the passing game than Ridley .... but no, not for a first. Not even close. If it's him or nothing you stand pat with what you have.

All told, you know what Ridley has right now, and I'd rather see more of Vereen before they go on a draft craze. With a roster of WRs of whom only one has ever taken a snap in NE, and a defense that could use talent pretty much at every single roster spot but NT and LBer, spending anything much on a runner is a waste. 

If we're talking RBs high here, which I hope he doesn't do at all, Montee Ball is the guy I'd go after. Pro style body, reminds me of MJ Drew. Or, Curtis Martin, for that matter.

I agree, but also I look at Montee Ball, and think ... just get reps to Vereen instead of throwing the draft pick out. 

He is roughly the same size, has the tools to be a sick every down combo back like Martin or Tomlinson, just give him a real audition. If they don't like it, or whatever, then revisit RB next season. 

A 2nd rounder could be a DE/T, S, CB, OT/G, or WR and fill a more pressing need, because every one of those spots either has a hole, is thin on talent, and/or has an expiring contract in 2014. Whereas at RB you have young guys entering year three and under contract ... it's the final audition, but unless there is someone you CAN'T pass on, just pass. 

Rolling the dice low, though, doesn't count. That is why I find the Michael Ford visit interesting ... he is a project, imo, but would come wicked cheap and you can't teach 4.4 speed. There aren't many RBs in the NFL period who can pull away like that. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

If we spend a high pick on a RB I think my head will explode.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

I thuoght Bolden ran well, but didn't seem to have Ridley's explosiveness.  I do think Bolden may be a better receiver.  Ridley dropped some easy passes.  That's tough in this offense because with Brady you want a back who can catch.

See, I think Bolden is smoother with his explosiveness, while RIdley is really more of a grinder with his.

I don't even recall Brady targeting Ridley much last year at all out of the backfield, actually.

Can you even name a game?  I am sure he did drop a pass, but I am usually pining for this as  designed/set play early in games as part of a gameplan, but I just don't recall him even thrown to much.

There was one late in the season--I'm forgetting what game, but if I have time I'll look it up--when he was wide open in left flat facing Brady and Brady threw it right to him and it just bounced off his hands.  It was awful.  There were a few others, too.  But I don't think they threw it to him a lot.  Bolden, on the other hand, seemed to catch most of what they threw at him.  Really, even in preseason last year, I noticed this about Bolden.  He's not bad catching out of the backfield, which is a nice thing in a back who is more a runner than a third-down, passing back.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

In response to TFB12's comment:

In a recent interview Bruschi stated that Running back is one of the Patriots needs, has anyone heard this interview?  I don't see it but it makes me wonder if Tedy has some inside info on this or if this is just his opinion. 

BB likes bigger backs, he really wanted TD tommy to work out back in Cleveland.  Could BB surprise us with a Eddie Lacy pick?  Afterall, he does likes Nick Saban Alabama players. I would be all for this!!  But I really don't see a RB taken by the Pats unless it's later in the draft. But then again, I didn't think he would move up and take Jones and Hightower.

I suppose it's possible that BB could be considering a RB at pick #29. He'll likely have his pick of the RBs at that point. BB is big on getting value for his picks. He may see Eddie Lacey of Alabama as a beast of a power back. Much depends on how he views Brandon Boldin and Stevan Ridley. Of course, there's so much misinformation being floated about at this time of year. Lots of head fakes, hoping to make another team take a player earlier than perhaps they wanted to...or to trade up to #29 with the Patriots. 

Agree. Truth is if a back falls to us we will gobble him up and take the value all day long. This team is far from set at running back - I like Ridley, but I don't love him...he puts the ball on the ground, doesn't catch, and has a lot of trouble getting outside. There's room for improvement there, plus we lost Woodhead...Vareen is always hurt and Bodden is coming off his thing with the PEDs.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I thuoght Bolden ran well, but didn't seem to have Ridley's explosiveness.  I do think Bolden may be a better receiver.  Ridley dropped some easy passes.  That's tough in this offense because with Brady you want a back who can catch.

See, I think Bolden is smoother with his explosiveness, while RIdley is really more of a grinder with his.

I don't even recall Brady targeting Ridley much last year at all out of the backfield, actually.

Can you even name a game?  I am sure he did drop a pass, but I am usually pining for this as  designed/set play early in games as part of a gameplan, but I just don't recall him even thrown to much.

There was one late in the season--I'm forgetting what game, but if I have time I'll look it up--when he was wide open in left flat facing Brady and Brady threw it right to him and it just bounced off his hands.  It was awful.  There were a few others, too.  But I don't think they threw it to him a lot.  Bolden, on the other hand, seemed to catch most of what they threw at him.  Really, even in preseason last year, I noticed this about Bolden.  He's not bad catching out of the backfield, which is a nice thing in a back who is more a runner than a third-down, passing back.

I do remember that one. I think it may have been in the Houston game. It was camera side of the field, I believe.

I don't remember the team, but it was definitely camera side of the field.  I was at both Houston games, and seem to remember seeing it on TV, so maybe it was a different game or maybe I'm just remembering the replay.   

I guess I am more speaking to the idea of them not really using the RBs (other than Woodhead) as a pass receiver, so if they're not used to being targeted, a drop can occur.

Yeah . . . but it's a little bit of chicken and egg.  If the back drops a lot (in practice, too), then maybe they don't build that in to the game plan.  It's hard to know for sure without being at practice.  I'll try to find the number of times Ridley was targeted.  My impression is that he doesn't have great hands .  . but you're right I think that they also don't give him many chances. 

THis is really why we have lost our way on offense.  Make it be that Ridley and Bolden have good hands (practice continually with Brady, use the Juggs machine like Samuel did after 2003's season when he dropped a few INTs), etc.

Could be. . . but Belichick has used backs out of the backfield a lot in the past (and he certainly did that with Faulk).  I suspect that it's the backs, not a change in the offensive philosophy.  

It's not good enough to just say "he dropped a ball, so he can't catch, Brady is perfet and should never try that ever again".

That's essentially what you're claiming and I don't buy it.  Once the defense thinks what you just pretty much said about Ridley, then they have an advantage.

But if Ridley can't catch well, throwing it to him won't help.  You can't do things that don't work to try to disguise the things that do work.  Lack of deception may hurt you, but calling plays that fail because you're not good at them also hurts you. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Brandon Bolden has been suspended for violating the NFL's policy on performance enhancing drugs, so he probably shouldn't be on your fantasy roster.

New England Patriots running back Brandon Bolden has been suspended for four games for violating the NFL's policy on performance enhancing drugs, according to Paul Perillo.

Bolden has been sidelined by a knee injury anyways, but this is certainly rock bottom for the backup running back.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Someone mentioned Montee Ball in comparison to Curtis Martin...spot on, couldn't agree more. Same slashing style, smart running, body seems to almost float through his cuts. I wish this guy was a little bigger, but I've got to think he will make some team very happy.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

Someone mentioned Montee Ball in comparison to Curtis Martin...spot on, couldn't agree more. Same slashing style, smart running, body seems to almost float through his cuts. I wish this guy was a little bigger, but I've got to think he will make some team very happy.

I did. I am usually spot on with everything.

No sir...couldn't of been you. No way. Please tell me no.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.